Canadian cruisers!!

They list Jewel in May in their signature line.

Okay , thanks! I'm reading this through the cruise critic app and signatures aren't listed for some reason. We are sailing the oasis in May and I didn't see a price drop for my sailing :(

Okay , thanks! I'm reading this through the cruise critic app and signatures aren't listed for some reason. We are sailing the oasis in May and I didn't see a price drop for my sailing :(

I believe that if you use one of the smartphone based apps, the signatures are not displayed.

I booked my cruise in Canadian dollars. Can I prepay my tips in Canadian dollars, or will RCI add on the US exchange?

Yes you can. Also, they are currently offering Canadian dollars at BETTER than par. It is actually cheaper to prepay in Canadian dollars than US dollars. Take advantage of this while you can!

Yes you can. Also, they are currently offering Canadian dollars at BETTER than par. It is actually cheaper to prepay in Canadian dollars than US dollars. Take advantage of this while you can!

I did this today - gratuities for a week are $84 pp US$, today we paid $82.79 Cdn. It is final payment day for us and we had the gratuities added, no problem. I am very grateful to the op and everyone who has posted on here. I never would have thought to buy obc and prepay gratuities. Saved a nice little bit of cash :)

As I have mentioned earlier, I have purchased a significant amount of OBC at this great exchange rate. I also have some RCI-provided OBC. I am confident I will not be spending it all, so I am planning on cashing out on board and taking cold hard US cash. I plan on doing this before the end of the cruise.

What I have done is gone to my onboard account options and changed the onboard account payment option from "Credit Card" to "None" (There is a third option: "Cash"). I did this at the advice of one of the RCI reps when I told her that I wanted to make sure to get cash out onboard.

Here's my rationale: If I do not set up my onboard account with a credit card at all - it is less likely that the onboard computers will have access to the credit card information that I used to purchase the OBC. So, in their view - they will have no credit card on file to refund the OBC to. To me, this makes sense, because in the time between purchasing the OBC and sailing, I could have switched or cancelled my credit card.

Of course, I will bring the card with me as backup :) And.. I think the test will be when we check in. I will talk to the registration terminal counter reps about this.

Apparently what they do, is let you prepay the gratuities at the rate of exchange in place when you made your booking. Three of our upcoming cruises were booked when the Canadian $ was worth more than the U.S. So today, I prepaid all of my gratuities. I am very happy!

I've been buying OBC for that great rate for a few weeks now. I was able to get a $1000 OBC for a sailing, but when I tried to get the same amount for another sailing I was told that I couldn't go above $499 without alot of faxing and signing and la-ti-da, so I bought two $495 OBCs for the same cruise. I guess it depends of which Royal Rep answers the phone.

Don't forget to ask for an Amenity Receipt for your OBC purchase.

Yes, any unused OBC is reimbursed in cash, whenever you want it, you don't have to wait until the end of the cruise. I often set up cash accounts and I can close it anytime I want, and open it again anytime I want.

Hope that helps !! :D

Thanks everyone for the tips to save a bit of money on ... ahem ... tips!

What is an Amenity Receipt? What other kind of proof will I receive as evidence of the credit on my account?

And I'm assuming we should put $180 pp on the account to cover gratuities for our seven-day cruise, and then enough for drinks packages, etc. Is that generally what you are covering?

Hope this post will answer some of the questions raised last week.

I am back from Adventure of the Seas, sailed Feb 1-8. I purchased OBC 4 days before sailing thanks to OP of this thread. I bought $150 USD and it cost me $165 CAD. When we got on the ship at noon I went straight to Guest Servies and the $150 was already showing in the computer and my $100 booking credit showed up the second day (as stated it would when we booked).

When we got into our cabin there was a card stating that a gift of OBC had been purchased in the amount of $100 USD.

All went very smooth and we used all the credit :D

Note that a booking credit is non-refundable and must be used, this is different than an OBC which is refundable.

We have always pre-paid our gratuities in CAD and have always booked our excursions about 1-2 weeks prior to cruise and they are charged to our CAD credit card.

Edited by soccercrazy

For those canadian's considering ..... I just tried it....

I just called C&A society phone number 5 minutes ago and asked if what I have read is true. She was quick to say it is absolutely true and knew exactly what I was talking about. Their phones have been ringing off hook for last two weeks with canadian's taking advantage of this. She knows it was posted on cruisecritic (which might explain the surge in calls).

I asked her how could this be when the exchange rate is almost 30%....she said she doesn't know....but exchange rate on their system shows 10%.

She said the max I could buy is $500 USD.

I purchased $500 USD OBC and she billed it to my credit card while I was on the phone. She issued a receipt to my email address which I received within a minute of the purchase. The receipt stated $550 but didn't indicate currency. Skeptical and Paranoid; I called my credit card company and they confirmed I was billed $550 CDN.

Couldn't have been more straight forward or quicker.....I can't believe I just saved $100 this easily.

I am not sure if they will let me purchase another $500 but I am going to try again tomorow.

Bill

Thanks to the OP who let us know about this deal. I called RCI and as of today (Feb. 9th) they are still offering the $1.10 exchange rate for OBC.

The rep I spoke to suggested splitting the purchased OBC equally between my wife and I. This confused me and I asked him whether our SeaPass cards were linked to one account, and he said they were not. I find this odd... we have a single booking for the two of us, and one credit card for the payments. If one of us happens to spend more than the OBC limit, and the other has some left over, what happens? Do they use the other person's OBC first before charging the credit card? I hope this question is clear.

Incidentally, our rep said any remaining would be returned in cash.

Apparently what they do, is let you prepay the gratuities at the rate of exchange in place when you made your booking. Three of our upcoming cruises were booked when the Canadian $ was worth more than the U.S. So today, I prepaid all of my gratuities. I am very happy!

Well that explains it! I paid $76.87 CND per person grats for a 7 night cruise and was stumped as to how $12/day US came out to that amount!

During online check-in; Canadian credit card holders are asked how they want to handle the exchange rate billing of their seapass charge account (USD) to their credit card (CAD). The options are:

a) Use Royals Currency Exchange program. They will convert the USD charges to Canadian using bloomberg wholesale rate + 3%; billing the credit card in canadian. When I look up bloomberg rate; it is approx 1.25.

b) Bill the credit card in USD and let the credit card company do the exchange. My credit card is using a posted exchange rate of 1.26 + 2.5% exchange conversion fee.

I have chosen to let my credit card company convert it. However, given that canadian's are able to purchase OBC USD and being charged 10% exchange rate....I am second guessing my decision.

Is the OBC purchases using a different exchange rate than what the ship uses when billing your credit card under the royal currency exchange program?

Bill

During online check-in; Canadian credit card holders are asked how they want to handle the exchange rate billing of their seapass charge account (USD) to their credit card (CAD). The options are:

a) Use Royals Currency Exchange program. They will convert the USD charges to Canadian using bloomberg wholesale rate + 3%; billing the credit card in canadian. When I look up bloomberg rate; it is approx 1.25.

b) Bill the credit card in USD and let the credit card company do the exchange. My credit card is using a posted exchange rate of 1.26 + 2.5% exchange conversion fee.

I have chosen to let my credit card company convert it. However, given that canadian's are able to purchase OBC USD and being charged 10% exchange rate....I am second guessing my decision.

Is the OBC purchases using a different exchange rate than what the ship uses when billing your credit card under the royal currency exchange program?

Bill

Simple answer is yes.

What you are in essence doing is purchasing a product (the OBC in US$) that already has a set price determined for it. It is no different than purchasing a drink package or shore excursion. Royal only adjusts their exchange rates on these items quarterly and is still going by what was set last October.

Your purchase shows up as a CDN$ purchase on your credit card from Royal no different than if you bough gas.

Thanks everyone for the tips to save a bit of money on ... ahem ... tips!

What is an Amenity Receipt? What other kind of proof will I receive as evidence of the credit on my account?

Buying OBC is a 'gift' to someone. Even if that gift is to you!! It is no different than buying flowers, a cheese tray, a bottle of wine, etc., to be placed in your cabin as a 'gift' upon arrival. All these gifts are called amenities by the cruise line. Your Amenity Receipt is just that...a piece of paper with the proof that you purchased that amenity. It's always wise to ask for a receipt, they will email it to your inbox. Bring it with you when you cruise just in case. These 'gifts' don't show up on your cruise invoice because usually the cruiser isn't buying gifts to him/herself. They were set up for friends and family to buy gifts for the cruiser, perhaps as a surprise.

Hope this helps. :D

Bill

If you wait until you get on the ship, anything you purchase on board ...anything..including the automatic gratuities....will be charged in US dollars. Then, if you opt to have your credit card convert the U.S. funds you spent to CANADIAN, you will pay the current bank rate, which most credit cards right now are over 30% more on a U.S. dollar. ( $100 dollars spent onboard would be over $130 on your credit card... $1000 would be $1300 or more on your credit card) That's a lot lost just in exchange rates...

Right now, if you purchase gratuities ahead of sailing, you save BIG. It's at par.

And if you add money to your account ( stateroom credit) you save BIG - it's only 10% so $100 is going to cost $110 Canadian.

With all the calls to Royals customer service, this deal might soon be over!

Hope that helps to explain it....

Edited by son3cruisers

For those canadian's considering ..... I just tried it....

She said the max I could buy is $500 USD.

I purchased $500 USD OBC and she billed it to my credit card while I was on the phone. She issued a receipt to my email address which I received within a minute of the purchase. The receipt stated $550 but didn't indicate currency. Skeptical and Paranoid; I called my credit card company and they confirmed I was billed $550 CDN.

Couldn't have been more straight forward or quicker.....I can't believe I just saved $100 this easily.

I am not sure if they will let me purchase another $500 but I am going to try again tomorow.

Bill

Of course you can buy more. I was able to buy $1000 OBC a few weeks ago, but then the second time I tried, was told the max was $499. So I bought two OBCs for $495 for the same cruise, in the same phone call. He chuckled a bit...but it wasn't against the rules.

The Australians are able to buy their OBC in Au$$ at par.....1AU$=1US$, even sweeter. But, they were told that the 'special' ends at the end of the month.

Remember, these OBCs that you are buying are yours. They are refundable right at Guest Services. I always set up a cash account when I cruise...these are just my cash accounts bought early. I will bring my amenity receipt with me just in case, but figure all will go well.

This is very gracious of RC to be doing this...whether they mean to or not, LOL

:D

I am not sure that this is entirely true. I booked a cruise for 2015 and another one for 2016 at the same time. My gratuities (which I prepaid on the weekend for both) were $82.79 Canadian for the 2015 cruise and $76.87 Canadian for the 2016 cruise. Why there is a difference when both cruises were booked the same day would seem to mean that your statement is incorrect. Either way, I am not complaining because both sets of gratuities are less than the $84 US that most people will be paying on board.

That said, I hope the 2017 itineraries are released soon and permit us to capitalize on these amazing deals us Canadians have been treated to over the past few weeks.

;)

That said, I hope the 2017 itineraries are released soon and permit us to capitalize on these amazing deals us Canadians have been treated to over the past few weeks.

;)

LOL, that would be too good to be true, but what a wonderful thought :D:D

Hope this post will answer some of the questions raised last week.

I am back from Adventure of the Seas, sailed Feb 1-8. I purchased OBC 4 days before sailing thanks to OP of this thread. I bought $150 USD and it cost me $165 CAD. When we got on the ship at noon I went straight to Guest Servies and the $150 was already showing in the computer and my $100 booking credit showed up the second day (as stated it would when we booked).

When we got into our cabin there was a card stating that a gift of OBC had been purchased in the amount of $100 USD.

All went very smooth and we used all the credit :D

Note that a booking credit is non-refundable and must be used, this is different than an OBC which is refundable.

We have always pre-paid our gratuities in CAD and have always booked our excursions about 1-2 weeks prior to cruise and they are charged to our CAD credit card.

Thanks so much for coming back and reporting how things went. So glad it all worked out and there were no problems. Now we all know what to expect. Hope you had a great cruise! :)

Bill

Yes, the rate is different.

OBC purchased now before the cruise is billed at $1.10CAD per $1US. I bought $500US OBC today and my credit card was charged $550CAD.

Onboard expense billed at the end of your cruise will be billed in $CAD at current exchange rate plus your credit card conversion rate, 2.5% for example with your credit card, using option B and the Bloomberg wholesale current exchange rate + 3% using option A. With both option A and B you are billed using the current, much higher CAD to US exchange plus a conversion fee. ;)

I am not sure that this is entirely true. I booked a cruise for 2015 and another one for 2016 at the same time. My gratuities (which I prepaid on the weekend for both) were $82.79 Canadian for the 2015 cruise and $76.87 Canadian for the 2016 cruise. Why there is a difference when both cruises were booked the same day would seem to mean that your statement is incorrect. Either way, I am not complaining because both sets of gratuities are less than the $84 US that most people will be paying on board.

;)

Did you happen to use future cruise coupons? I did, and the rate of exchange corresponds with the different dates from the date of purchase of my future cruise credits.