Canadian cruisers!!

Need some more tips for those who've used their nexus / global entry. I just got mine. I read the stuff on the website but want to make sure I know what I'm doing.

Flying out is pretty easy from what I understand. I'm flying out of YUL and into MIA. My cruise is out of Port Everglades.

So here is my understanding for when I'm flying back to Montreal. I have to pre-print out my declaration forms and fill them out before I get to the airport. I have to fill them out for my kids aged 5,7,and 9 too correct?

My confusion is for when I am disembarking from the cruise. Are their forms that I have to print and fill out as well? Is there Iris Scan at Port Everglades?

Sent from my BlackBerry Dtek50

Need some more tips for those who've used their nexus / global entry. I just got mine. I read the stuff on the website but want to make sure I know what I'm doing.

Flying out is pretty easy from what I understand. I'm flying out of YUL and into MIA. My cruise is out of Port Everglades.

So here is my understanding for when I'm flying back to Montreal. I have to pre-print out my declaration forms and fill them out before I get to the airport. I have to fill them out for my kids aged 5,7,and 9 too correct?

My confusion is for when I am disembarking from the cruise. Are their forms that I have to print and fill out as well? Is there Iris Scan at Port Everglades?

Can't help you with the airport stuff as we drive.

Port Everglades can't even read the Nexus cards as they don't have a reader. The only thing the card foes is get you to the front of the line. You still have to show your passport and fill in the customs form that is given to you on the last night.

No Iris scan either.

First, have all of your children acquired NEXUS cards? The only people who can use Global Entry / NEXUS lines are those who have applied for and received their cards. This applies to land crossings as well: you can't use the NEXUS lane if someone without one is in the car.

Assuming that you all have them, before you disembark at the end of your cruise you will need to complete a US CBP declaration card. One per family, no need for one per person. Once you get your luggage, take the separate GE/NEXUS line and have your cards and the declaration card in hand. Unless recently installed, no iris scan.

You might also want to consider getting the Mobile Passport app if you have a smartphone. It's free and provides another expedited lane choice. Go to the website for further details: http://www.mobilepassport.us We used it in November and the line was shorter than the GE/NEXUS line. Very quick.

On the flight home, the airline will give you the CBSA declaration card. Again, one per family, but to a maximum of four people. Fill it out on the plane and be prepared to hand it in after you've gone through the iris scan and picked up your luggage.

Edited by Fouremco

First, have all of your children acquired NEXUS cards? The only people who can use Global Entry / NEXUS lines are those who have applied for and received their cards. This applies to land crossings as well: you can't use the NEXUS lane if someone without one is in the car.

Assuming that you all have them, before you disembark at the end of your cruise you will need to complete a US CBP declaration card. One per family, no need for one per person. Once you get your luggage, take the separate GE/NEXUS line and have your cards and the declaration card in hand. Unless recently installed, no iris scan.

You might also want to consider getting the Mobile Passport app if you have a smartphone. It's free and provides another expedited lane choice. Go to the website for further details: http://www.mobilepassport.us We used it in November and the line was shorter than the GE/NEXUS line. Very quick.

On the flight home, the airline will give you the CBSA declaration card. Again, one per family, but to a maximum of four people. Fill it out on the plane and be prepared to hand it in after you've gone through the iris scan and picked up your luggage.

Jan 8th there was only one line for both Nexus and mobile passport.:(

Jan 8th there was only one line for both Nexus and mobile passport.:(

Did they have the same CBP officer(s) handling both, or did the line split at the end? One step forward, two steps back...

Edited by Fouremco

Ok ! Thanks for that.

On the Visa helps too. Then I have a month to pay it off instead of one lump sum . And get some points too. Somehow doesn't seem to hurt as much! Lol.

My bank seems to always add on an extra fee when I actually do the exchange at the bank....( ends up being almost $30 more then what the online currency exchange app says) . I deal with CIBC.

Banks usually add between 1 and 3 % for a service fee.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You need to visit the nexus website. How to use the card depends on your residency. I don't think children under 16 need nexus cards. They just go with their parents thru the nexus line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by willing292

You need to visit thenexus website.

Southnam has already visited the website and is now looking for additional tips.

No, children require NEXUS membership but there is no charge for children under 18.

Travelling with children

Children must also be NEXUS members to access a NEXUS designated lane or self-serve kiosk; otherwise you must use regular lanes. Carry copies of legal custody documents when you travel with children for whom you share custody or a permission letter if both parents are not travelling with the child. If you are not a custodial parent or legal guardian, you must carry the children's identification as well as written permission from the parents or legal guardian to supervise them. Ensure that the permission letter includes addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or legal guardian can be reached.

This parallels the requirement for children to have their own passports. The days of travelling on their parent's passport are long gone.

Passports for children

All Canadian children, from newborns to age 16, require their own passport to travel. Children may only be issued a passport with a maximum validity of 5 years. A child’s passport remains valid until it reaches its expiry date, even after the child turns 16.

Edited by Fouremco

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. Yes as mentioned I read the website but I find having it explained here in non technical language makes more sense to me. All my kids have nexus as it is free for under 18 so that was a no brainer. Very glad i dont have to print forms in advance. I guess that is only for land crossings. Many people mentioned that during the interview things were explained to them. My interviewer just gave me some papers and said to read it. I will download the mobile passport app.

So another question about the app, if i am the only person in my family with a smart phone then do I do it one at a time? I hope they do have a separate line for GE/Nexus when i disembark. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My understanding (which could be incorrect) is that only the NEXUS program uses the iris capture (and then, only in air mode). CBP recognizes NEXUS members as trusted travellers insofar as most people enroll in the Global Entry program simultaneously and provide their fingerprints (but I believe that technically while enrolling in NEXUS, you can decline providing your fingerprints to CBP and thus forego Global Entry privileges). I don't think any U.S. port-of-entry (including airports) will ever have iris cameras because CBP offers Global Entry kiosks; why would they also offer NEXUS kiosks?

When at a land crossing, the Traveller Declaration Card (TDC) can help expedite NEXUS member re-entry by allowing you to drop off the form in the mailbox at the entrance of the NEXUS lane. The idea is that you're over the personal exemptions so you make your declarations on the form, and they'll simply charge your credit card appropriately when they process the forms later.

If your declaration is within your personal exemptions, then you don't need to fill out the TDC. You can make a verbal declaration to the CBSA officer in the NEXUS lane (I have done this several times before, without them getting upset or instructing me to use the TDC in the future). This is not to imply that you can't make a verbal declaration if you are over your personal exemptions -- I've never done it personally, and you probably can -- but they may send you inside to pay, partly defeating the purpose of expedited entry using NEXUS.

My understanding (which could be incorrect) is that only the NEXUS program uses the iris capture (and then, only in air mode). CBP recognizes NEXUS members as trusted travellers insofar as most people enroll in the Global Entry program simultaneously and provide their fingerprints (but I believe that technically while enrolling in NEXUS, you can decline providing your fingerprints to CBP and thus forego Global Entry privileges). I don't think any U.S. port-of-entry (including airports) will ever have iris cameras because CBP offers Global Entry kiosks; why would they also offer NEXUS kiosks?

When at a land crossing, the Traveller Declaration Card (TDC) can help expedite NEXUS member re-entry by allowing you to drop off the form in the mailbox at the entrance of the NEXUS lane. The idea is that you're over the personal exemptions so you make your declarations on the form, and they'll simply charge your credit card appropriately when they process the forms later.

If your declaration is within your personal exemptions, then you don't need to fill out the TDC. You can make a verbal declaration to the CBSA officer in the NEXUS lane (I have done this several times before, without them getting upset or instructing me to use the TDC in the future). This is not to imply that you can't make a verbal declaration if you are over your personal exemptions -- I've never done it personally, and you probably can -- but they may send you inside to pay, partly defeating the purpose of expedited entry using NEXUS.

Thank you. I had the same understanding as you for the TDC forms while using land crossing for reentry. But the website makes it sound like you have to use it no matter what. I am rarely over my personal exemption so maybe next time I will have one filled out just in case but try the verbal declaration and see if I get told otherwise.

Good to know about Nexus and Iris Scan versus Global Entry. I admit that I still confuse the two lol

Thank you. I had the same understanding as you for the TDC forms while using land crossing for reentry. But the website makes it sound like you have to use it no matter what. I am rarely over my personal exemption so maybe next time I will have one filled out just in case but try the verbal declaration and see if I get told otherwise.

Good to know about Nexus and Iris Scan versus Global Entry. I admit that I still confuse the two lol

You don't have to use the paper form when driving over the border.

We started using the paper form in the beginning when we drove over the boarder and an agent said you do not need to use it. You can verbally declare to the agent how much you spent. If you are over they will send you to secondary to pay the duty. By using the paper declaration if you are over they will charge your credit card that you wrote down on the form and you drive past secondary. That is not to say that the agent still won't send you to secondary.

Edit: one of my last crossings I was bringing a large item in the back of by truck from a 3 hour stay in the US. Told the agent the cost and that I was over my limit. I went right to secondary to pay the duty. When I came back out with the slip showing payment I spoke with the customs agents. They checked that it was duty was paid. Then they asked me about the item. I showed them a couple of pictures of the finished product and the bill of sale and they were content. I had my drill with me if I needed to open the box for them, but I also figured they could have sent me to the X-ray as well. There is nothing stopping them from inspecting your car.

I have also done the same with a 20 ft trailer with a larger item boxed just as tight. The duty was around $2,000 and the agents didn't blink any eye after going through the same process. If you do everything properly there is no issue.

Edited by A&L_Ont

There is also a known traveler number on the back that you can use when setting up a profile with a US carrier. That way you will get TSA Pre printed at the top of your boarding pass and you can use the TSA pre-clearance line at US airports too. They have the iris scan kiosks at the Pearson Airport and I would suspect they have them in YUL as well. They sit on top of the kiosk and you have to tilt the mirror and put the green dot between your eyes. On my last trip back from the US on Sunday, We were over our limit by $140.00 and the receipt from the kiosk said to report to the cashier to pay the taxes. The gent at the gate out of the luggage area asked what we had and when I told him, he just said "away you go".

So another question about the app, if i am the only person in my family with a smart phone then do I do it one at a time? I hope they do have a separate line for GE/Nexus when i disembark. Thanks again.

You only need one smart phone for the family. Once you have the app downloaded, you set up a profile for each family member. That can be done at any time. On the day that you disembark, within 4 hours of getting off the ship you must fill in what is essentially an electronic declaration card and submit it to CBP. You will receive in return a barcoded receipt which you will have to show to the CBP when clearing customs. Port Everglades has free wifi, so if you don't have service in the US, you can fill in the information on the ship and send it as you get into the terminal.

Someone mentioned TSA Pre✓, a great benefit for you when flying home. If you check in online, some airlines will have a box requesting your Known Traveller Number. If you fill this in, then your boarding pass will show you have TSA Pre✓, entitling you to use the separate line for security. Not only is the line quicker, but you don't need to remove shoes and belts, take off your jacket or remove your 3-1-1 bag from your carry on. Not all Canadian carriers let you do this with online checkin, but when you drop off your bags, show them your NEXUS cards and ask them to reprint your boarding passes showing TSA Pre✓.

You only need one smart phone for the family. Once you have the app downloaded, you set up a profile for each family member. That can be done at any time. On the day that you disembark, within 4 hours of getting off the ship you must fill in what is essentially an electronic declaration card and submit it to CBP. You will receive in return a barcoded receipt which you will have to show to the CBP when clearing customs. Port Everglades has free wifi, so if you don't have service in the US, you can fill in the information on the ship and send it as you get into the terminal.

Someone mentioned TSA Pre✓, a great benefit for you when flying home. If you check in online, some airlines will have a box requesting your Known Traveller Number. If you fill this in, then your boarding pass will show you have TSA Pre✓, entitling you to use the separate line for security. Not only is the line quicker, but you don't need to remove shoes and belts, take off your jacket or remove your 3-1-1 bag from your carry on. Not all Canadian carriers let you do this with online checkin, but when you drop off your bags, show them your NEXUS cards and ask them to reprint your boarding passes showing TSA Pre✓.

Delta had a spot to enter your Known Travel Number. We have always used it once we got Nexus.

Delta had a spot to enter your Known Travel Number. We have always used it once we got Nexus.

WestJet and Air Canada allow you to as well. Porter doesn't AFAIK, and I'm not sure which other Canadian lines do.

We've also used it ever since getting NEXUS. Just one more time saver when making a tight connection after disembarking! :)

Edited by Fouremco

WestJet and Air Canada allow you to as well. Porter doesn't AFAIK, and I'm not sure which other Canadian lines do.

We've also used it ever since getting NEXUS. Just one more time saver when making a tight connection after disembarking! :)

I agree. Having Nexus is great at reducing time in lines at airport security checks, US customs entering the states on the way to the ship either in Toronto or FLL, and disembarking the ship post cruise. Some of the best money we ever spent on travel was getting our Nexus cards. I am surprised that I waited as long as I did before signing up for it.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Hi folks,

I searched this thread and didn't come up with too much information (threadbare? ;)).

The main thing I found was that if you book in USD, you can purchase RCI's "cancel for any reason" insurance. I'm not sure if that's still available but regardless, it's not relevant to my upcoming sailings which are booked in CAD (and I'm certainly not going to rebook them in USD at the prevailing rate).

What's your current recommended provider of travel insurance if the cruise is booked in CAD? RCI? CAA? Other?

Assumptions: ignore any travel insurance provided as a credit card benefit and also don't consider emergency out-of-province medical insurance (I have excellent medical through my employer).

Mainly I want insurance to cover perils such as a sudden pre-trip medical issue for a travel party member or a serious medical issue with an immediate (non-travelling) family member that would preclude travel, a flight delay or cancellation that prevents my party from getting to the ship on time (assume one might not always use ChoiceAir), trip interruption, or RCI changing/cancelling the sailing (including for a charter).

Those are the big things I can think of off the top of my head. There are probably more. There are also little things (inconveniences) such as a lost/delayed luggage allowance.

Thank you!!

I agree. Having Nexus is great at reducing time in lines at airport security checks, US customs entering the states on the way to the ship either in Toronto or FLL, and disembarking the ship post cruise. Some of the best money we ever spent on travel was getting our Nexus cards. I am surprised that I waited as long as I did before signing up for it.

Have you used your Nexus cards at Port Everglades? I haven't seen where we could do this at neither Pier 18 nor Pier 26.

Thanks

Kathy

Have you used your Nexus cards at Port Everglades? I haven't seen where we could do this at neither Pier 18 nor Pier 26.

Thanks

Kathy

Hi Kathy.

I am lucky/fortunate enough to say that we get to use the Suite disembarkation line at T18. However, Ourusualbeach has used it numerous times at T18 at PE. It is my understanding that all terminals in PE have it. I have read on CC that it shows on the PE website, but I have never went looking for the information.

I hope this help.

Andrew