Canadian cruisers!!

Hi folks,

I searched this thread and didn't come up with too much information (threadbare? ;)).

The main thing I found was that if you book in USD, you can purchase RCI's "cancel for any reason" insurance. I'm not sure if that's still available but regardless, it's not relevant to my upcoming sailings which are booked in CAD (and I'm certainly not going to rebook them in USD at the prevailing rate).

What's your current recommended provider of travel insurance if the cruise is booked in CAD? RCI? CAA? Other?

Assumptions: ignore any travel insurance provided as a credit card benefit and also don't consider emergency out-of-province medical insurance (I have excellent medical through my employer).

Mainly I want insurance to cover perils such as a sudden pre-trip medical issue for a travel party member or a serious medical issue with an immediate (non-travelling) family member that would preclude travel, a flight delay or cancellation that prevents my party from getting to the ship on time (assume one might not always use ChoiceAir), trip interruption, or RCI changing/cancelling the sailing (including for a charter).

Those are the big things I can think of off the top of my head. There are probably more. There are also little things (inconveniences) such as a lost/delayed luggage allowance.

Thank you!!

I use Johnson Insurance (Medoc) as they coordinate with my health benefits from work. They are relatively inexpensive, and good to deal with. I pay monthly for annual coverage.

A few years ago, we signed up for travel insurance through Aeroplan. It is actually Blue Cross.

We are covered for as many trips as we want, up to 30 days out of province (may be out of country - have to check that) each. That is 30 days each trip, not each person.

It is a little expensive - I think it was about $600 a year for both my wife and I, but it seems pretty comprehensive.

It also seems to cover pre-existing conditions, so long as your treatment / medicine hasn't changed in the 30 or so days before your trip.

We don't have to call them before each trip, just make sure we have the card with us that lays out procedures and phone numbers.

Chris in Inuvik, NWT

I use Johnson Insurance (Medoc) as they coordinate with my health benefits from work. They are relatively inexpensive, and good to deal with. I pay monthly for annual coverage.

Exactly the same for us, although now retired. When my DW had a medical issue and we had to fly home half-way through a two week cruise, they covered everything without a problem. Lots of form to fill out, but otherwise the process was painless.

There are a few websites online that allow you to compare different sources of travel insurance. Google "travel insurance Canada" and you'll find them. I've not used them but my sister has found them quite useful.

• 2 weeks later...
There are ripples popping up for some people in the NEXUS programme. There has been lots of Nexus talk in this thread in the past months so I thought some of you might find this interesting:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/nexus-cards-revoked-1.3964819?ref=fh,content.ighome.com

dp

Anyone can have their Nexus card taken away. When we applied the reason was for breaking the rules. It reads as though the rules have changed ;) or we haven't been told the "entire" reason for why these were revoked, such as the hidden muffin.

I was talking with my financial advisor yesterday about the Canadian dollar and they think it should be between 70-80 cents during his presidency. With the oil pipeline being built it will go up to 80 or more. Depending on his protectionism it could go down to 70. Another words they don't know.;)

There are ripples popping up for some people in the NEXUS programme. There has been lots of Nexus talk in this thread in the past months so I thought some of you might find this interesting:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/nexus-cards-revoked-1.3964819?ref=fh,content.ighome.com

dp

From what I understand, where exceptions are permitted under the US ban, the individuals are to be subjected to more rigorous screening when (re)entering the US. As NEXUS is intended to fast track card holders through Primary, it makes sense that they would cancel the cards of these individuals. Very sad, but logical.

Anyone can have their Nexus card taken away.

When returning from a cruise in November using our NEXUS cards at PIA, we reached the exit point from the baggage area where you turn in your declaration card. I'm digging through the many pockets of my Scott vest and not having any luck, but I can see a table with blank cards just the other side of the exit. I explained to the CBSA officer that I seemed to have misplaced it and asked if I could just grab one of the blank forms and fill it in. She said sure, but she would have to have our NEXUS cards revoked for having failed to complete a declaration form. Huh? She was quite adamant that if I took the five steps or so out of the baggage zone to get one of the blank forms, she'd report us for a breach of the NEXUS rules. Fortunately, with a bit more digging I eventually found the form and we continued on our way.

When returning from a cruise in November using our NEXUS cards at PIA, we reached the exit point from the baggage area where you turn in your declaration card. I'm digging through the many pockets of my Scott vest and not having any luck, but I can see a table with blank cards just the other side of the exit. I explained to the CBSA officer that I seemed to have misplaced it and asked if I could just grab one of the blank forms and fill it in. She said sure, but she would have to have our NEXUS cards revoked for having failed to complete a declaration form. Huh? She was quite adamant that if I took the five steps or so out of the baggage zone to get one of the blank forms, she'd report us for a breach of the NEXUS rules. Fortunately, with a bit more digging I eventually found the form and we continued on our way.

Good thing you found your form. Hate it when we run into customs personnel who are on some kind of power trip.

Good thing you found your form. Hate it when we run into customs personnel who are on some kind of power trip.

I worked extensively with CCRA/CBSA over many years, and at one point lectured at their training facility in Rigaud, Quebec. I also travelled quite extensively with CBSA managers to meetings in Europe for several years, so I've seen both the good and the bad.

Due to a medical issue experienced during a Caribbean cruise, my wife was ordered by the ship's doctor to return to Canada for emergency medical treatment. We arrived in Toronto from St. Lucia, and WestJet provided a wheelchair and ground staff member who met us at the gate and took us to Primary. I handed our passports and declaration card to the CBSA officer, who demanded our boarding passes. I told him that I wasn't sure if I even had them still, and commented that I had never heard of them being a requirement, but I finally did find them in my computer bag. The officer stated that it was a requirement, and that I should learn the regulations if I planned to travel, but he never did explain the reason for the "requirement". As our passports were clearly stamped with a St. Lucian entry stamp dated that day, the declaration card provided the flight number and related information, and the flight had only recently arrived at the terminal, I fail to see what additional information was acquired from the boarding passes. As my focus at this time was on my wife and the need to make our connecting flight back to Ottawa, I chose to let this go in spite of his officious attitude.

I did report him later, however, and received a very apologetic phone call and subsequent letter from a senior manager with CBSA. He confirmed, of course, that there was absolutely no need for the boarding pass and that this was not the first time that this particular officer had overstepped his authority. The manager made it very clear that remedial action would be taken.

I worked extensively with CCRA/CBSA over many years, and at one point lectured at their training facility in Rigaud, Quebec. I also travelled quite extensively with CBSA managers to meetings in Europe for several years, so I've seen both the good and the bad.

Due to a medical issue experienced during a Caribbean cruise, my wife was ordered by the ship's doctor to return to Canada for emergency medical treatment. We arrived in Toronto from St. Lucia, and WestJet provided a wheelchair and ground staff member who met us at the gate and took us to Primary. I handed our passports and declaration card to the CBSA officer, who demanded our boarding passes. I told him that I wasn't sure if I even had them still, and commented that I had never heard of them being a requirement, but I finally did find them in my computer bag. The officer stated that it was a requirement, and that I should learn the regulations if I planned to travel, but he never did explain the reason for the "requirement". As our passports were clearly stamped with a St. Lucian entry stamp dated that day, the declaration card provided the flight number and related information, and the flight had only recently arrived at the terminal, I fail to see what additional information was acquired from the boarding passes. As my focus at this time was on my wife and the need to make our connecting flight back to Ottawa, I chose to let this go in spite of his officious attitude.

I did report him later, however, and received a very apologetic phone call and subsequent letter from a senior manager with CBSA. He confirmed, of course, that there was absolutely no need for the boarding pass and that this was not the first time that this particular officer had overstepped his authority. The manager made it very clear that remedial action would be taken.

Glad that things did work out for you. Too bad that the few bad apples really give the entire agency a bad name. Maybe we've been lucky but we've actually found that we have dealt with much friendlier and more personable agents since we've started using our Nexus cards, although our travels have been limited to land crossings.

... He confirmed, of course, that there was absolutely no need for the boarding pass and that this was not the first time that this particular officer had overstepped his authority. The manager made it very clear that remedial action would be taken.

And the remedial action turned out to be ... requiring all agents to ask for boarding passes in future.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone! I hope I'm asking a question that hasn't been asked and answered before, but I've searched and can't find my answer. I am going on a Western Med cruise in June and am a Rogers wireless customer in Canada and eligible for Roam like Home which is significantly cheaper than using the wifi on the ship. I am hoping to connect to wifi while on this port intense itinerary but would use Roam like Home as needed. Is there any problems connecting using Roam like Home from the ship when it is docked in port? Since Roam like Home charges per 24 hour period, I would be connecting in more then one port in a given 24 hour period - is this a problem? Thanks for any advice.

The ship supposedly shuts off their "cell tower" while in port. I didn't have this issue while in Europe on Allure a few years ago. I'm with Bell and this was prior to their version of Roam like home.

Edit to add: I have never had the same issue while in the Caribbean either. The key is to remember to shut off cellular data when you return to the ship or at least before you sail.

Hello everyone! I hope I'm asking a question that hasn't been asked and answered before, but I've searched and can't find my answer. I am going on a Western Med cruise in June and am a Rogers wireless customer in Canada and eligible for Roam like Home which is significantly cheaper than using the wifi on the ship. I am hoping to connect to wifi while on this port intense itinerary but would use Roam like Home as needed. Is there any problems connecting using Roam like Home from the ship when it is docked in port? Since Roam like Home charges per 24 hour period, I would be connecting in more then one port in a given 24 hour period - is this a problem? Thanks for any advice.

As long as your using the local cell network then there is no problem. My experience is that networks pop up just getting close to land and my phone will just pick one. If it does, then Roam like Home works like a charm. Just do not roam on Cellular at Sea as Rogers does not include this.

I love it as well and it was one of the main reasons I stay with Rogers. No other cell company beats that deal.

Have fun!!

As long as your using the local cell network then there is no problem. My experience is that networks pop up just getting close to land and my phone will just pick one. If it does, then Roam like Home works like a charm. Just do not roam on Cellular at Sea as Rogers does not include this.

I love it as well and it was one of the main reasons I stay with Rogers. No other cell company beats that deal.

Have fun!!

Bell has it as well. Its 5$ a day but I don't know that that works in the Caribbean. I think its 10$ a day.

Bell has it as well. Its 5$ a day but I don't know that that works in the Caribbean. I think its 10$ a day.

I'm with Bell and I just looked at the Rogers pan and compared.

With Rogers you get access to all your data in your plan, with Bell you are limited to 100mb per day. Both are unlimited talk and text I believe.

Same at $5 per day for the US and $10 per day for the Caribbean.

Yes, with Bell you barely get enough data to check your email. Is it really a deal?

Yes, the Caribbean is $10 a day. As is Europe. Also, The most you can get charged is 10 days worth. So if your using a month of data in the US, you get charged a max of $50. Well worth it, imo.

Yes, with Bell you barely get enough data to check your email. Is it really a deal?

Yes, the Caribbean is $10 a day. As is Europe. Also, The most you can get charged is 10 days worth. So if your using a month of data in the US, you get charged a max of $50. Well worth it, imo.

I fully agree with your Bell comment. I have 10GB a month with Bell for work. When I cruise I have to buy extra data as their plan won't let me access my data from home, unlike Rogers which is better. I end up spending another $200 for US and international data on top of my monthly bill. I wish they had mirrored Rogers regarding the plans.

DW just goes for the Bell $5/$10 a day plan. It works for her but I also let her hotspot off of me if needed.

I have Rogers and used Roam Like Home for my September Mediterranean cruise. I was gone for 17 days and used my phone every day. I only paid $100 and I had no issues connecting while I was off the ship. It was great [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums