Canadian cruisers!!

No problem at all. We printed our receipts just in case. The credit shows on your account on the third day. (On the tv in our cabin). We started taking cash out on the first day. At the end of the cruise we went to guest services and cashed out around$ 600. You get all the money in cash right down to the last penny!

And it's so strange seeing those darn pennies.:D

Question to fellow Candians who paid for your cruise in CAD..

Do you book excursions in advance via My Cruises? Or do you wait to purchase on board using OBC?

The advantage of using OBC is that you get the 1.1% rate. I assume that the cost of excursions via My Cruises. But if you wait until you get on board, then you are risking it being sold out.

Also, i assume that the cost of the excursion is constant (i.e. it does not fluctuate with the exchange rate)?

Do you book excursions in advance via My Cruises? Or do you wait to purchase on board using OBC?

The advantage of using OBC is that you get the 1.1% rate. I assume that the cost of excursions via My Cruises. But if you wait until you get on board, then you are risking it being sold out.

Also, i assume that the cost of the excursion is constant (i.e. it does not fluctuate with the exchange rate)?

If there is an ship excursion that we are interested in we prebook and pay on our CC. We would hate to know that we miss the chance to do what we want by waiting until we are onboard the ship.

:D:D

Just got off the phone with Gifts & Gear and I bought more obc! We are doing a B2B and this time, there didn't appear to be a limit (last time they told me $500 was the limit) so I bought another $1000US for the first leg (costing me $1097.80CDN and bought another $1500US for the 2nd leg (costing me $1646.70CDN). WOOHOO!! I just checked my bank rate and it is 1.3671:eek:!! I might even buy some for next year's cruise, especially at that rate.:)

Happy Cruising to all!

Canuck

The cost of the excursions changes every 3 months. Royal sets the exchange rate (except for the purchase of OBC) every 3 months. Currently shore excursions, drink packages etc are about 30% higher than the US prices which is why it's a good idea to wait until you board except for those must do excursions.

To save me sifting through all these pages, can you please let me know what the answer is? Thanks.

If you have a cash account set up you can get your money in cash the last evening when you stand in line at guest services and close your account.

If you have a credit card associated with your account then the remaining OBC will be credited to your credit card that is on file either in US$ and your bank will do the conversion or Royal will do the conversion at current rates and credit your credit card in CDN$

The cost of the excursions changes every 3 months. Royal sets the exchange rate (except for the purchase of OBC) every 3 months. Currently shore excursions, drink packages etc are about 30% higher than the US prices which is why it's a good idea to wait until you board except for those must do excursions.

Thanks. This is good to know.

Is it by any chance like your final payment where if you buy it now and the price goes down, you can call and get the lower price?

There is only one RCL excursion that we're looking at, but it is pricey for 4 of us, so not sure whether to wait or not.

I'm so jealous of all you people. I booked with an online company and can't take advantage of this great money exchange deal. Now that I have to make final payment next week I'm thinking about insurance. I don't know what companies to look at. I'm driving to Baltimore so there are no flights to worry about but I do have to consider a huge ice or snow storm around mid December? Does anybody have suggestions?

What are people's experience? If you have left over OBC do

They credit your cc in us or cnd?

It depends on how you set up your Seapass account.

You have the option of having Royal do the conversion or your credit card company doing the conversion. Your CC company most likely will give you a more favourable rate.

Thanks. This is good to know.

Is it by any chance like your final payment where if you buy it now and the price goes down, you can call and get the lower price?

There is only one RCL excursion that we're looking at, but it is pricey for 4 of us, so not sure whether to wait or not.

Shore excursions are cancellable with a refund processed to your credit card up to 3 days prior to sailing. After that refunds will be applied as an OBC.

So, yes you can take advantage if the price drops. The way our $ is heading I would not count on things getting cheaper.

:D:D

Just got off the phone with Gifts & Gear and I bought more obc! We are doing a B2B and this time, there didn't appear to be a limit (last time they told me $500 was the limit) so I bought another $1000US for the first leg (costing me $1097.80CDN and bought another $1500US for the 2nd leg (costing me $1646.70CDN). WOOHOO!! I just checked my bank rate and it is 1.3671:eek:!! I might even buy some for next year's cruise, especially at that rate.:)

Happy Cruising to all!

Canuck

I am here to apologize on behalf of the Guatemalan RCCL agent that told me the exchange rate was 1.0978. It is STILL 1.10. I have been on the phone for hours trying to get everything straightened out. I received my e-mails and the monies didn't add up to what she told me - long story and complicated because we are doing a B2B, but I found out that she split different credits up and only gave us $499US instead of the $500US I ordered & she also told me that we were each getting $750 and it turned out that she actually gave us $499 3 times instead (ha). She did actually tell me that the exchange rate was 1.0978 INSTEAD of 1.10 - sheesh - what a nightmare. Anyways - glad that I called back and got a very nice man that went through all our shipboard credit with me and explained everything properly. She even told me the incorrect charges to my credit card in Canadian funds - guess I should have known:rolleyes: you should ALWAYS call back and double check everything! She told me that the office in Guatemala was new and had only been opened for about a year.

So sorry if me announcing that the exchange rate had dropped has caused anyone any grief - it is still at a great rate of 1.10.

Canuck

If you have a cash account set up you can get your money in cash the last evening when you stand in line at guest services and close your account.

If you have a credit card associated with your account then the remaining OBC will be credited to your credit card that is on file either in US$ and your bank will do the conversion or Royal will do the conversion at current rates and credit your credit card in CDN$

You can withdraw any monies left on your account at guest services even if you have a credit card associated with your account. That way you don't have to worry about the few percent the cruise line or your credit card company will charge you should you have it credited to your credit card.

On our last cruise, I had a credit card account. I attended guest services on the last evening to withdraw the full amount remaining on account. lady told me I could not do it. I explained that my credit card was on file for any purchases from then until departure the next day and I explained the money on the account was mine and I needed it for my land vacation following the cruise. I went to my cabin and within 5 minutes ,I received a phone call from the same lady apologizing , and saying that upon checking with her supervisor , she learned I was correct and asked me to return to the guest services desk and to come to the head of the line and she would recognize me. She refunded me the full amount of U.S. funds remaining.

I am here to apologize on behalf of the Guatemalan RCCL agent that told me the exchange rate was 1.0978. It is STILL 1.10. I have been on the phone for hours trying to get everything straightened out. I received my e-mails and the monies didn't add up to what she told me - long story and complicated because we are doing a B2B, but I found out that she split different credits up and only gave us $499US instead of the $500US I ordered & she also told me that we were each getting $750 and it turned out that she actually gave us $499 3 times instead (ha). She did actually tell me that the exchange rate was 1.0978 INSTEAD of 1.10 - sheesh - what a nightmare. Anyways - glad that I called back and got a very nice man that went through all our shipboard credit with me and explained everything properly. She even told me the incorrect charges to my credit card in Canadian funds - guess I should have known:rolleyes: you should ALWAYS call back and double check everything! She told me that the office in Guatemala was new and had only been opened for about a year.

So sorry if me announcing that the exchange rate had dropped has caused anyone any grief - it is still at a great rate of 1.10.

Canuck

This is interesting. It's the first that I've heard of call from North America being routed to the Guatamala call centre. Previously it had been for UK and European callers.

Ourusualbeach - yes, I thought it was interesting too. I only found out as there was a couple of guys in the background speaking Spanish and then I asked her "where are you" and she told me. When I called back to ask about the incorrect amounts - I reached the Guatemala office again and got the nice guy who knew the score this time.:)

Canuck

Good to know. It is a pig in a poke as to what the RCL agent will tell you about limits for OBC applied in usd to your account. I have had two tell me at 500$Plus they must ask us to send a fax of both sides of our credit card and a photo ID as well. So, they suggest you order 499usd instead at 1.10 exchange. Then they vary in what they do if you want another 499. I have had them just keep me on e phone and do a second order as if I had called again. I have had them tell me they will not jeprodise their job by doing that, and I must call tomorrow. I have ordered one and called back in a minute to get another agent and ordered the second order. And then I read here about people ordering 1000 at a time!! Some consistency wouldbe nice! However, it is well worth an extra call to have this most helpful way to make our Cdn currency go further. I have no doubt RCL

enjoys having our OBC dollars up front for several months to use in their investment plans. Of course, we all put money on our account early just in case they change anything, so they win. So do we.

We never get a special exchange on the fare, but all the extras help a lot. I asked a booking agent why she asked me if I,d like to add my gratuities to our fare total when I could cover those costs at 1.10 instead of current 1.33 or more by adding the special OBC to our account. She said she did not know anything about it. I suggested she adk her supervisor. RCL has a big incentive to attract Canadians. I wonder why they do not use it, and advertise it. We are still paying big bucks extra on fares and taxes, and 10% greater on items covered by OBC. I would think our numbers are big enough as passengers to be considered. Or am I just being naive?

Ourusualbeach - yes, I thought it was interesting too. I only found out as there was a couple of guys in the background speaking Spanish and then I asked her "where are you" and she told me. When I called back to ask about the incorrect amounts - I reached the Guatemala office again and got the nice guy who knew the score this time.:)

Canuck

Judging by the comments that I've read about that call centre I'm hoping that the re- routing of calls from Canada to Guatamala does not become a regular occurrence.

Good to know. It is a pig in a poke as to what the RCL agent will tell you about limits for OBC applied in usd to your account. I have had two tell me at 500$Plus they must ask us to send a fax of both sides of our credit card and a photo ID as well. So, they suggest you order 499usd instead at 1.10 exchange. Then they vary in what they do if you want another 499. I have had them just keep me on e phone and do a second order as if I had called again. I have had them tell me they will not jeprodise their job by doing that, and I must call tomorrow. I have ordered one and called back in a minute to get another agent and ordered the second order. And then I read here about people ordering 1000 at a time!! Some consistency wouldbe nice! However, it is well worth an extra call to have this most helpful way to make our Cdn currency go further. I have no doubt RCL

enjoys having our OBC dollars up front for several months to use in their investment plans. Of course, we all put money on our account early just in case they change anything, so they win. So do we.

We never get a special exchange on the fare, but all the extras help a lot. I asked a booking agent why she asked me if I,d like to add my gratuities to our fare total when I could cover those costs at 1.10 instead of current 1.33 or more by adding the special OBC to our account. She said she did not know anything about it. I suggested she adk her supervisor. RCL has a big incentive to attract Canadians. I wonder why they do not use it, and advertise it. We are still paying big bucks extra on fares and taxes, and 10% greater on items covered by OBC. I would think our numbers are big enough as passengers to be considered. Or am I just being naive?

Keep watching for resident rate specials. I just booked the Oasis for this Christmas at a great Ontario (actually all Canadian provinces will qualify) for less than a 5% premium over the US prices. Also the Anthem over Christmas has a similar deal.

I think that they are seeing a decline in Canadian bookings and are starting to offer some incentives closer to sail date for Canadians.

Muffin - yes, I was told the story about the photo id and faxing too, back in January when I called in. Then I was able to buy $500 more than once but not over $500. It is hard to make sense of it as every time you call, you get a different answer! This agent today said that there was no limit and I was able to add another $1000 for 1 leg and $1500 for the other - but she unfortunately split it up so strangely that it didn't even make sense - lol & I was actually charged a DIFFERENT amount in Canadian than what she told me - which I did not appreciate. I also had to call C & A afterwards to update our preferences for Diamond Plus (as it is still not working online) and that was quite the rude phone call - I am done in talking to RCCL today!:eek:

Have a good night,

Canuck

Judging by the comments that I've read about that call centre I'm hoping that the re- routing of calls from Canada to Guatamala does not become a regular occurrence.

I called to add OBC to our B2B cruise next May. Talked to a very helpful guy in Guatamala and was impressed with him! Added $500 on each cruise no problem and received emails while still talking to him! Hope I can talk to him again if I call back😊.

Linda

My mum called to add $300 to her account. She asked if they still have the 10% exchange special and they told her no. She then asked how much it would cost in CAN$ to buy $300 US. They told her $330 CAN$. Someone didn't know what 10% is or that it's a very good exchange rate.