Chops Price Increase to $39

cjhbeh

We had planned to go to Chops on the first night of our trip in March on Indy as it is my daughter's 16th birthday. My wife and I have always had great experiences at Chops before and have never taken the kids so we were really looking forward to it.

A comparable meal at a nice steakhouse would cost over $50pp and would not include the number of sides and desserts that are included. While I am not happy about the increase in cost I can live with that, especially with the first night discount. Much of our OBC would be used for that meal and my daughter is certainly worth it.

However, my concern is with the quality of the food. If it has really gone down that much since my last trip 2 years ago and especially if the menu on Indy is so drastically reduced then it would not be worth any additional cost. We may have to re-think our celebration.

I hope to see some other posts with recent positive experiences.

Looks like they have not updated all of the website. Says chops is still $25 here: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Oasis_Restaurants.pdf

I did check the reservations section and here's what it says from the Canadian dollar view:

Chops: 50

Giovanni's: 32

150 Central Park: 51

Izumi and Sabor are listed as $0, but I assume that's because it's a la carte.

Edited by TBone2K

We had planned to go to Chops on the first night of our trip in March on Indy as it is my daughter's 16th birthday. My wife and I have always had great experiences at Chops before and have never taken the kids so we were really looking forward to it.

A comparable meal at a nice steakhouse would cost over $50pp and would not include the number of sides and desserts that are included. While I am not happy about the increase in cost I can live with that, especially with the first night discount. Much of our OBC would be used for that meal and my daughter is certainly worth it.

However, my concern is with the quality of the food. If it has really gone down that much since my last trip 2 years ago and especially if the menu on Indy is so drastically reduced then it would not be worth any additional cost. We may have to re-think our celebration.

I hope to see some other posts with recent positive experiences.

What you have to remember is that there are 22 chops restaurants all with their own chef. Even though the menu is the same the food quality could vary some depending on the port. You should go and make up your own mind, don't let a couple on cc make up your mind for you

Surely if the food is not up to quality, then less people will go. Especially if the price is increased.

Will this not just prompt RCC to do something about it? I mean they really want people to pay extra to go to the specialality ones!

Not that I have been yet, but I think its really rotten that they going to charge that amount and then say for more extra money you can have an even nicer steak.

Surely the steak in the paid for places should be great anyway???

Again, I don't know cruise lines but if people don't like it they will stop going and RCC will have to act?

Edited by Tark

What you have to remember is that there are 22 chops restaurants all with their own chef. Even though the menu is the same the food quality could vary some depending on the port. You should go and make up your own mind, don't let a couple on cc make up your mind for you

All food is sourced from one area. No local sourcing. But sure with 22 different restaurants results can vary any given night

I was just perusing the Cruise Compasses from Independence of the Seas last month (thanks, Erik!) and noticed something relevant to this discussion. Look at the Day 1 dining page:

C_zpsda1ee149.jpg

Chops Grille is $35 and Giovanni's Table is $25. Okay, that's what we expect.

Now, look at Day 2 (formal night, the same is true on Day 6, the other formal night):

G_zpsa92c8765.jpg

Now Chops Grille is $40 and Giovanni's Table is $30!

This is the first time I've noticed the specialty restaurants being more expensive on the formal nights. This is a bit of a concern to me since we do tend to dine in the specialty restaurants on formal nights as an alternative to dressing up.

I just checked the Cruise Planner and it's offering the formal nights for the regular $35 and $25 prices.

Of course, none of us like it when prices go up. We have never had a bad meal in Chops.

One thing that has not been mentioned in this thread is the increase in beef prices in the last couple of years. Way, way up! I don't believe that I have been in any steakhouse recently that prices have not increased.

By the way, my wife and I ate at Ruth Chris a month ago and it cost up around $250 to get out of there. So much for that comparison :rolleyes:

I was just perusing the Cruise Compasses from Independence of the Seas last month (thanks, Erik!) and noticed something relevant to this discussion. Look at the Day 1 dining page:

Chops Grille is $35 and Giovanni's Table is $25. Okay, that's what we expect.

Now, look at Day 2 (formal night, the same is true on Day 6, the other formal night):

Now Chops Grille is $40 and Giovanni's Table is $30!

This is the first time I've noticed the specialty restaurants being more expensive on the formal nights. This is a bit of a concern to me since we do tend to dine in the specialty restaurants on formal nights as an alternative to dressing up.

I just checked the Cruise Planner and it's offering the formal nights for the regular $35 and $25 prices.

We've done Chops on our last few cruises. I've got one thing to say about $40 for Chops. Nope. You lost me at that price RCL. I'll look for a discount when I get on board and if I don't get one then I'll eat in the dining room. And let me say something else - the last 4 or 5 times that we've eaten at Chops the place has been no more than 30% occupied. I don't know if this is some trick on Royal's part to try and fool people into thinking they're getting a great deal with the 30% OBC offer or what but its not fooling me. I'll be surprised if the prices stay this high for a restaurant that in my experience has been nowhere near capacity on any night.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

We've done Chops on our last few cruises. I've got one thing to say about $40 for Chops. Nope. You lost me at that price RCL. I'll look for a discount when I get on board and if I don't get one then I'll eat in the dining room. And let me say something else - the last 4 or 5 times that we've eaten at Chops the place has been no more than 30% occupied. I don't know if this is some trick on Royal's part to try and fool people into thinking they're getting a great deal with the 30% OBC offer or what but its not fooling me. I'll be surprised if the prices stay this high for a restaurant that in my experience has been nowhere near capacity on any night.

We often do Chops on first night with the D+ BOGO offer. That makes the price palatable. Did Chef's Table on Legend for $70 PP. That price was definitely worth it

By the way, my wife and I ate at Ruth Chris a month ago and it cost up around $250 to get out of there.

Curious as to how much of this was wine or other alcohol :)

For 54.95 right now at Ruths Chris I can get a salad starter, a 12 oz Prime ribeye, a side and dessert.

No, that isnt unlimited appetizers and sides but who can eat all that anyway?

Chops will now be 57.00 - 59.00 pp if you get the "better" steak. The jury is still out on how much better these steaks are. Ive read good and bad about them. If you count the MDR meal you paid for but are missing its upward of 75.00 or more pp. .

How is that not a Ruths Chris comparison? To me, its a very valid comparison.

Edited by ryano

I have to agree. We've burned out on the MDR and have done speciality dining 4 nights the last few years on 7 night cruises. No way we'll pay 40.00 for Chops you have to draw the line somewhere. And we've noticed the same thing, Chops and the other speciality dining venues have been at best 30% occupied. We are going on our first Celebrity cruise soon and booked a four night speciality package for what works out to 32.00/PP which is OK. 40.00 for Chops and then they want an extra 20 for the "good steak"? I don't think so.

By the way, my wife and I ate at Ruth Chris a month ago and it cost up around $250 to get out of there. So much for that comparison :rolleyes:

We spent that (About $275) back in October at a Sullivan's Steakhouse but it was 3 of us. In addition to the dinner and side dishes which were priced separately and with 2 maragaritas and 3 glasses of wine, no desert!

People talk about the upgraded steaks...Just don't order them if you don't want to pay for it...Geeze!! For me if the steaks that are offered are tender and flavorful (which has usually been the case) then I am cool with that. I don't have to have a upgraded steak for an upcharge! We don't do Chops because it is a must have on the cruise and we don't think about that the MDR price is included and adding it all up to see what the value of eating in Chops is. We are on vacation and that is just something we like to do and enjoy a little us time at dinner at a table for two.

We were once at an all inclusive in Cancun and even though everything was included, we ventured out and went to a very nice Mexican Restaurant to eat one night for the same reasons I said up above! :cool:

Curious as to how much of this was wine or other alcohol :)

For 54.95 right now at Ruths Chris I can get a salad starter, a 12 oz Prime ribeye, a side and dessert.

No, that isnt unlimited appetizers and sides but who can eat all that anyway?

Chops will now be 57.00 - 59.00 pp if you get the "better" steak. The jury is still out on how much better these steaks are. Ive read good and bad about them. If you count the MDR meal you paid for but are missing its upward of 75.00 or more pp. .

How is that not a Ruths Chris comparison? To me, its a very valid comparison.

Wine? Well, maybe there was a little involved :eek:;). I'll give you that.

Maybe I should have said "for me". Since we don't all eat the same thing so it would vary per person.

So, at RC's I'll have a lobster bisque for an app, then a nice steak, 2 sides and dessert. I'll be closer to 80-90 bucks.

I would be better off eating like you! :)

My real point of my post was the increase in meat prices which in some cases have at least tripled in some cases over the last couple of years. I've seen T-bones and ribeyes in the markets for over $20. I promise you that in my business, if my costs increase like that, what I charge my customers would go up too.

It is too bad that we have lost the quality of food in the MDR over the last few years.

We don't do Chops because it is a must have on the cruise and we don't think about that the MDR price is included and adding it all up to see what the value of eating in Chops is. We are on vacation and that is just something we like to do and enjoy a little us time at dinner at a table for two.

That is a given for anyone who chooses to eat at a speciality dining option on a cruise..................:rolleyes: The issue being discussed here is a a price increase to a rate that is getting out of line.

That is a given for anyone who chooses to eat at a speciality dining option on a cruise..................:rolleyes: The issue being discussed here is a a price increase to a rate that is getting out of line.

Which is why I made the comment about how I feel about the pricing per the comments some have been making......DUH! :cool:

When I hear tater tots I think of the frozen foods aisle at Wal-mart.

I'm with you on that one. Tater tots are pretty much what they served in public school lunch rooms...the kind we used for our cafeteria "food fights". Really, you wanna charge me EXTRA for that? Don't think so. :rolleyes:

I'm with you on that one. Tater tots are pretty much what they served in public school lunch rooms...the kind we used for our cafeteria "food fights". Really, you wanna charge me EXTRA for that? Don't think so. :rolleyes:

Has anyone on here actually had those tater tots yet??? Because I use to really like those big salted baked potatos! If the tater tots are really those type of thing you get in OreIda in the frozen food..that would be a deal breaker for me going to Chops again.

If they are those frozen food type things....Can you get chili and cheese on them like at a fast food joint??? :rolleyes:

I was on that Indy Jan. 17 cruise when the Compass showed second night prices of $40 for Chops and $30 for Giovanni's. but the third day's Compass showed the original prices of $35 and $25. I made a point to look at those prices because I thought the higher prices were a mistake. The rest of the cruise the prices remained as shown on day one. We gave up Chops a few years ago in favor of either Portofino or GT; you can get a good steak there for less money.

Has anyone on here actually had those tater tots yet???

IMHO, Royal didnt name those properly. Im not sure what they were thinking. I have read several reviews of the so called "tater tot" in Chops and in NO way does it even remotely resemble OreIda tater tots found in the frozen food aisle of your local grocery store. Even though I like those too :cool:

Others may certainly have a different opinion of them but Merion Mom had a review about them a while back and from what I remember she said they were very good. They have Gruyere cheese in them and looked very tasty. I would certainly give them a try but Chops is now more than Im willing to spend on dinner on a cruise ship.