Chops Price Increase to $39

cjhbeh

If $5 or so in price change makes us retool our cruise plans, then we'd need to seriously rethink cruising altogether. Not gonna happen here.

That makes it sound as if it puts the price out of people's price range, but that's not why people are rethinking a visit to Chops. It's because it's creeping up into the "not being worth the cost" category. For some people it's very important to get value for their money and when something no longer feels like a value and you feel like you're overpaying you should stop purchasing said thing. It doesn't mean they should reconsider cruising.

I really hate the implication that if you're not ready to throw buckets of money at frivolous things that aren't worth it that you shouldn't be on a cruise.

that makes it sound as if it puts the price out of people's price range, but that's not why people are rethinking a visit to chops. It's because it's creeping up into the "not being worth the cost" category. For some people it's very important to get value for their money and when something no longer feels like a value and you feel like you're overpaying you should stop purchasing said thing. It doesn't mean they should reconsider cruising.

I really hate the implication that if you're not ready to throw buckets of money at frivolous things that aren't worth it that you shouldn't be on a cruise.

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That makes it sound as if it puts the price out of people's price range, but that's not why people are rethinking a visit to Chops. It's because it's creeping up into the "not being worth the cost" category. For some people it's very important to get value for their money and when something no longer feels like a value and you feel like you're overpaying you should stop purchasing said thing. It doesn't mean they should reconsider cruising.

Sunshine Cruiser, I like your post! :)

That's exactly what I would do. Honestly, on Allure and Enchantment (both within the last year) Chops was just not good at all. At least on Allure it has a nicer atmosphere, but the quality was really bad on both ships. I initially thought it was a fluke on the Allure, but now I know that it's apparently the new normal. It's sad, Chops used to be absolutely fantastic.

We loved Giovannis on Allure, though.

I went to chops on the enchantment as well. It was my first and likely last time.

To me it felt like they had an extra room and decided "hey we can make this a thing. And let's charge money" the atmosphere was more library than steak house, like it was added as an afterthought.

I went to chops on the enchantment as well. It was my first and likely last time.

To me it felt like they had an extra room and decided "hey we can make this a thing. And let's charge money" the atmosphere was more library than steak house, like it was added as an afterthought.

We still find value in the BOGO price, especially that insane shrimp cocktail

Unfortunately that's a bad translation.

The point is that costs go up, and if every $5 change is such a "big deal", then some folks might as well rethink cruising. It's not going to get cheaper in the future.

We stopped going to Chops a couple of years ago -around the time that the price went up to $30. It was also around that time that the quality of the food (and the service on Oasis and Allure) really started to go downhill.

$39. No way.

I'd stick to the Italian restaurants. Giovanni's, Portofino, and Jamie's are all better than Chops.

The point is that costs go up, and if every $5 change is such a "big deal", then some folks might as well rethink cruising. It's not going to get cheaper in the future.

I thought the point was that Chops has pretty much doubled in price over the past few years (wasnt it 20.00pp 4 or 5 years ago?) yet the overall quality and experience seems to be on a downward spiral. My last time at Chops was 2011 on Radiance. It was 25.00 pp and a wonderful experience. The food and service really was incredible. Fast forward to now and they have removed most of the items people liked from the menu, they now charge you even extra for the "good" steaks and service is questionable at best most of the time.

I understand that costs go up but they havent went up enough to justify such increases IMHO. I guess as long as people are willing to pay, they will keep going up up up ;) I just wonder at what point will people say enough is enough and they have to resort to giving out discounts to get people in the door and are only running about 30-40% capacity.

Oh wait, arent they already at that point? :confused:

Edited by ryano

I thought the point was that Chops has pretty much doubled in price over the past few years (wasnt it 20.00pp 4 or 5 years ago?) yet the overall quality and experience seems to be on a downward spiral.

That's certainly one view of the Chops world.

Another might be that for a private and special meal location, the price might be reasonable compared to a $100 land-location version of the same experience.

The glass is half full from our vantage point.

But we aren't talking about every $5 change we are talking about the steakhouse and how some are starting to feel it isn't worth the money.

That's certainly one view of the Chops world.

Another might be that for a private and special meal location, the price might be reasonable compared to a $100 land-location version of the same experience.

The glass is half full from our vantage point.

I just had streak in Champaign Il that only cost 24.95 was three times better than what I have eaten at Chops and Wild what service she was just wonderful,

All I have to say is if you think Chops is a good deal you need to get out more:D

Enjoy Your Next Cruise

Well said.

I think that most don't care about an extra $5 or $15 for a meal in Chops, except what Royal Caribbean started, when they started Chops, was good food, and service.

For the first time Royal Caribbean cruiser, when first trying Chops, it will be up to them to determine if Chops meets the quality and service of a shore side restaurant where they spend an equal amount of money. Since this is the demographics that Royal Caribbean is reaching out for, most may never know.;)

For me, since I experienced Chops when it was $20.00 pp extra, and had wonderful soup, great cuts of beef, or seafood. Excellent presentations, great taste, and I left feeling that I received my moneys worth, for something special.

Would I do it today................YES..........if the food and service were returned to the way it was when it was started. As it is, I have not stepped into Chops for dinner, to pay, since they changed the menu, and the quality of the meat.

SERIOUSLY???

Because one has reached the tipping point where the cost/value of dining in Chops has happened and one no longer wants to spend the $39 to eat there...they now should reconsider cruising?

You have this issue perfectly wrong.:eek:

I think that most don't care about an extra $5 or $15 for a meal in Chops, except what Royal Caribbean started, when they started Chops, was good food, and service.

For the first time Royal Caribbean cruiser, when first trying Chops, it will be up to them to determine if Chops meets the quality and service of a shore side restaurant where they spend an equal amount of money. Since this is the demographics that Royal Caribbean is reaching out for, most may never know.;)

For me, since I experienced Chops when it was $20.00 pp extra, and had wonderful soup, great cuts of beef, or seafood. Excellent presentations, great taste, and I left feeling that I received my moneys worth, for something special.

Would I do it today................YES..........if the food and service were returned to the way it was when it was started. As it is, I have not stepped into Chops for dinner, to pay, since they changed the menu, and the quality of the meat.

Reasonable. Thanks for that perspective. Makes sense.

No debate - but those just ranting and raving in posts about the $5 increase...geez.

I just had streak in Champaign Il that only cost 24.95 was three times better than what I have eaten at Chops and Wild what service she was just wonderful,

All I have to say is if you think Chops is a good deal you need to get out more:D

Enjoy Your Next Cruise

Curtis, not the best time of the year to be in Champaign.

Edited by bilyclub

I haven't found a land-location steakhouse where it costs $100 and there are only two kinds of steak on the menu. Probably because if there was such a place, it's gone out of business by now. ;)

I think the OP was expressing his or her frustration with what appears to be more gouging by RCI. As far as anyone caring, this is a public forum for people to post their opinions and thoughts. That's why there is a cruisecritic and other forums like it - to post your opinion, just like you did.

Actually, RCL is not gouging anyone. Each of us has a choice to either book Chops or to not book Chops. You can't be gouged if you don't buy. Even then, gouging would be considered one's personal opinion based on budget of the cruiser and the experience that one receives. $39 seems a tad high to my value but the price of red meat has literally sky-rocketed the past 12 months.

Just off Quantum and chops was 35. And i thought that was a bit much.

39. is crazy talk.:eek::eek::eek:

The menu on line is not the one on the ship. :mad: To bad i use to like chops.

i remember on my first cruise chops was grate and only 15. then 20. then 25. then 30 .next 50,100,200??????

No debate - but those just ranting and raving in posts about the $5 increase...geez.

You're right, way too much ranting of late in this thread - like:

If $5 or so in price change makes us retool our cruise plans, then we'd need to seriously rethink cruising altogether. Not gonna happen here.
The fact that there is a thread about such a miniscule item presents the appearance that it's a "big deal" to somebody. To others, its just noise.
So let's make it simple...$5 increase...get over it if it bugs ya. :rolleyes:

Curtis, not the best time of the year to be in Champaign.

You telling me 7 degrees is rough, I was in Boston the day before I so happy to get winter behind,me

Off on the IOS Saturday ! all will be good soon

Edited by tugboat