How do you choose the nights you use specialty restaurants?

Janespup

We always do the specialty restaurant on departure day as we find the MDR a little to unorganized and hectic. Also normally you get a 20% discount on first night of sailing :)

The rest of the time we look at the menu the day of and if there is nothing good we book something

We usually will do two nights on a 7 day cruise. I usually look at the menus for the particular cruise and will schedule the 2 Specialty nights when there is something on the menu that we don't care if we miss it. We always let our waiter in the MDR know the days we won't be there. :cool:

Hi,

How do you choose the nights you want to eat at a specialty restaurant? Do you look at dining room menus first? Sea days? Port days?

mainly by menu. the two menus between Formal nights are usually the ones where none of the entrees excite me at all.

Can you book these on the ship? Or do you need to do it before you leave? Would love to be able to just decide day of...

We are sailing FOS if it matters.

you normally can book on the ship if it isn't sold out, and normally this is not a problem- if you have a special occasion and want a certain restaurant I would book it in advance .

I think MDR is a little nicer on formal nights , but that is just us

Several ways. We'll go once or twice during a week cruise.

We like to dine in the specialty restaurants on the last night. - Our favorite plan

We prefer to dine there on a (Caribbean) port day rather than sea day. On a sea day we tend to eat a larger breakfast and lunch, not to mention snacks. We generally eat less on a port day. Caribbean port days are generally relaxing on the beach, or some snorkeling and not too tiring

Exception to the port theory, We don't go as often on an itinerary (Europe) that has exhausting and long sightseeing port days, such as a Med cruise. (We did not go at all on a recent 2 week Med cruise).

We sometimes dine there on the first or second night because we have a BOGO coupon ( we don't go two nights in a row).

In summary, we usually go by our schedule, rather than the dining room menu.

Enjoy,

M

Go to cruise critic to verify menu order, then make reservations for the nights with no appeal. And do your waiter a favor and let them know you won't be there that night

We have my-time dining, so I didn't think we had a set waiter?

Thanks everyone!

Edited by dreday3

Thanks. How do you let the waiter know if you are deciding that same day?:)

(sorry, all new to me)

On all the newer ships the minute you book a SR on ship its in the system showing what you are doing that time/evening, the mtd waiter would see that if he/she looked because you were not there and would know you were at the SR. Sometimes I will just ask the sr person making the resi to take out the mdr time

Edited by setsail

Thanks. How do you let the waiter know if you are deciding that same day?:)

(sorry, all new to me)

If you have MTD, I wouldn't worry. The last time we had MTD reservations, we went to the dining room one day to cancel. When we told them, they said "OK" and never even asked for our cabin number. We had no other reservation that night. We decided to Windjam it because we were in port late. We've never made an MTD reservation since and always get the same waiter without a wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Big_G

Only way is to ask here on CC and hope that someone who has recently cruised on the same ship and itinerary will report.

file:///C:/Users/Duke483/Downloads/1349876628_Culinary-Road-Show-Main-Menus-Final-0925AD%20(1).pdf

The menus can be found at the above link. Don't know the order