Age Appropriate Travel Clothing for 35 year old Traveling to Europe.

LMW1330

I'd take some white and also black Capri pants, lots of different tops, sparkly sandals, ballet flats, lots of mix and match items, a maxi dress, accessorise with costume jewellery. You will need shorts and t shirts, a sarong for the pool and beach......I'd also take an empty bag to fill up with clothes from the fab destinations you are going to!

Like many here, I think "age appropriate" is whatever fits your sense of style & fits your body type...

That said, 35 is young, like, really young :) Especially to this 48 year old, :)

Find clothes that are easy to pack, stick to one color palette, & bring light layers & a light rain jacket, & enjoy your youth. :)

LOL.....I have you by 7 years;)

BTW......I am trying to figure out (financially) if I can sail on your

Equinox cruise next year:D

LOL.....I have you by 7 years;)

BTW......I am trying to figure out (financially) if I can sail on your

Equinox cruise next year:D

Hi Lois, I hope it works out & you can come on the cruise next year :) I would love to have a drink with you...

I also hope this cruise comes down in price :eek:

Only way I'm justifying it is that our last cruise was a ridiculous bargain, we usually try & cruise every other year, but with the price increases, this cruise will take place almost two & a half years after the last one.

I'm 34, so I don't think 35 is old at all! I think you can still be current and fashionable!

I have been doing a lot of capsule wardrobe packing for my trips, and it's been great. I've found a lot of great ideas on Pinterest, so I'd recommend checking that out. I like to shop at a wide variety of places, from Joe Fresh and Old Navy to Hudson's Bay and Nordstrom. But if I'm trying something new, I usually try to find a cheap version I can test out at Gap or Old Navy, so I haven't wasted a ton of money if I don't like it. If I do, I buy a better version that will last longer after I figure out if it works for me.

For this cruise, I'd probably take a mixture of dresses, jeggings, and maybe some capris or crops to wear in the cities. If you are hitting the beach, then you obviously want shorts and swimwear. Turkey is NOT as conservative as you would think. You'll see everything on the streets from mini-skirts to full burquas. So just wear what you are comfortable in. The only exception to this is when visiting churches and mosques. Some of those (Italy for sure, and mosques in Turkey) ask that women cover up their arms, so I always have a sweater or denim jacket on hand. And in mosques and Eastern Orthodox churches, they often ask that you cover your hair. So I usually take a couple of scarves that go with everything, and you can wear them around your neck or as a belt or whatever, and then pull them up as needed. Plus churches and mosques tend to be cold, so a sweater is always welcome!

We did visit one monastery in Greece that REQUIRED women to wear a skirt. But they apparently realized that many people travel without one, because outside was a big fence covered in skirts! You could just grab one and pull it on over your pants or whatever, and then put it back when you left! Pretty crazy!

I'm going to spend 12 days on land in Europe this Spring, with this being our 4th trip over the pond.

Since I will be on public transportation and in museums quite a bit, I will not be wearing capris unless it's VERY hot. Locals in Europe tend to dress in muted colors (as mentioned above).

So, I'm going to take comfortable slinky knit pants and several over blouses. I also just bought two of these, white and black, for an extra layer and absolutely LOVE them:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PYGTRAE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are the softest, most comfortable jackets I have ever worn.

I have a black pair of Bernie Mev shoes like these to walk in:

http://www.amazon.com/Bernie-Mev-Women-Comfi-Flats/dp/B00GFWW26W/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1424237193&sr=1-3&keywords=bernie+mev+women%27s+shoes

If it's hot, I'll wear my Chaco's.

Edited by pcur

pcur gave some good advice. For many reasons, you don't want to stick out and look like an American. Color choice is a huge issue to me in Europe. I wear black, grey, some tan and some white with just a dash of color in a scarf. No print tops, etc. That is how most European women your age dress. They are very sophisticated and hard to copy. No athletic shoes! Find a very comfortable pair of shoes that can handle those cobblestones.

While I don't think I will ever look "European" in some countries because of my fair coloring, I do manage to fit in well in England, France, Germany and Scandinavia. The only T-shirt and athletic shoes I would bring are for workouts onboard the ship.

BTW- I was amazed at how think most Europeans are. I thought I would find chubby grandmas in Poland, but they were quite sophisticated in their dress and very thin.

I'm going to spend 12 days on land in Europe this Spring, with this being our 4th trip over the pond.

Since I will be on public transportation and in museums quite a bit, I will not be wearing capris unless it's VERY hot. Locals in Europe tend to dress in muted colors (as mentioned above).

So, I'm going to take comfortable slinky knit pants and several over blouses. I also just bought two of these, white and black, for an extra layer and absolutely LOVE them:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PYGTRAE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are the softest, most comfortable jackets I have ever worn.

I have a black pair of Bernie Mev shoes like these to walk in:

http://www.amazon.com/Bernie-Mev-Women-Comfi-Flats/dp/B00GFWW26W/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1424237193&sr=1-3&keywords=bernie+mev+women%27s+shoes

If it's hot, I'll wear my Chaco's.

Hi, what do you think of Bernie's shoes? I have seen them all over the

place lately.

Hi, what do you think of Bernie's shoes? I have seen them all over the

place lately.

Hi, Lois!

Here's my review on Amazon, plus a video of me and my silver Bernie Mev. I love these shoes, and they weight practically nothing for packing them. I also have a pair in black now:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2OJP603IMHSFQ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

I also did a review on my new Chaco's. My son and DIL recommended these for me last December on our family cruise when my feet were swollen (as usual). Forget about the insoles: they slipped around too much:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R21RAGPTV6PYV6/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Edited by pcur

Hi, Lois!

Here's my review on Amazon, plus a video of me and my silver Bernie Mev. I love these shoes, and they weight practically nothing for packing them. I also have a pair in black now:

www.amazon.com/review/R2OJP603IMHSFQ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

I also did a review on my new Chaco's. My son and DIL recommended these for me last December on our family cruise when my feet were swollen (as usual). Forget about the insoles: they slipped around too much:

www.amazon.com/review/R21RAGPTV6PYV6/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Thanks:) sounds like you love those shoes. I have seen them in

Steinmart and DSW.......may have to give them a try.

Pcur I love your links! We are very like minded! Can I ask a question about the "Duster/sweater" that you got in Black and one in White. I think they would be great but at just 5' how long are they and how is the sizing? Often a 1X is no better than a XL (and an XL is a 12 or 14) ;).... So I often get a 2X??? Worried bout the length but luv the style for my River Cruise in the Fall.

Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks

PS the price is fabulous!

Edited by JVilleGal

Pcur I love your links! We are very like minded! Can I ask a question about the "Duster/sweater" that you got in Black and one in White. I think they would be great but at just 5' how long are they and how is the sizing? Often a 1X is no better than a XL (and an XL is a 12 or 14) ;).... So I often get a 2X??? Worried bout the length but luv the style for my River Cruise in the Fall.

Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks

PS the price is fabulous!

They are pretty long on the sides. However, I got the largest size, and I probably could have gone a size or more smaller, because they are just open and draping. I did find the 3x was too long in the sleeves, so I shortened both jackets.

I would imagine a 12/14 would be a lot shorter. For $22 I figured I could alter them, but I was fine with mine. I am long-waisted, so it worked for me.

I would say in these a 1X is a size 16/18.

I started worrying about that around the time I turned 40, too. I also lost weight between 40 and 41, so I got really interested in style again.

Although I really like many styles I see online and love putting my own spin on them, my goal is always to look "good", not "young". I avoid really trendy clothes and prefer things I can accessorize, dress up or down. I love Banana Republic, Tommy Hilfiger, and Lucky Brand Jeans. I'm all over the map on what I like, preppy one day, bordering on boho-chic the next!

I reserve clothes with big logos, t-shirts, shorts, for beach vacations. If I were going to Europe in May, it'd probably be capris (of the non-cargo variety), casual slacks, maxi skirts, jeans (I do love jeans) - probably much like smart casual on a cruise. I actually like to look mature, and I don't like the sloppy look of loose clothes and oversized boots, no matter where I go. I don't think it's flattering.

I always try to improve the perception of American travelers (and have never worn sensible shoes), so I avoid sneakers and fanny packs. No offense meant - just not me.

I wouldn't worry much about it, except to have enough options to be comfortable and appropriate for the activities you choose. Have fun!

It's really fun when you pass for a local in a foreign country. I was taken for German in London, British in London, and as Finnish in Finland - over and over again on a 10-day visit! I loved it. I think one of the keys is footwear. Screaming white jogging shoes tend to only be worn by Americans. I do wear jogging shoes too, but black blends in. So you can still be comfortable but if you don't wear the shoes in white you can blend.

It's really fun when you pass for a local in a foreign country. I was taken for German in London, British in London, and as Finnish in Finland - over and over again on a 10-day visit! I loved it. I think one of the keys is footwear. Screaming white jogging shoes tend to only be worn by Americans. I do wear jogging shoes too, but black blends in. So you can still be comfortable but if you don't wear the shoes in white you can blend.

I watched a Samantha Brown travel program when she was in Paris. She reported that the joke was you could always tell American tourists from their ugly shoes. That's when I bought my Bernie Mev shoes. :D

May I see a photo of what is considered "oversized boots"??? I can't think of what that would be.

I've been mistaken for a non-tourist in Europe a few times. It's fun to watch the expression of the faces of Americans who ask me for directions when I start replying to them in my 'merican English ;) I like being welcomed at a restaurant like a local; When the server starts talking to me, I don't blurt out "I don't speak xxx", but I quietly say "spreche kein Deutsch" or "je ne parle pas Francais" or "no hablo Espanol" or "non parlo italiano". I find if I do this, I don't get the rude "it's a tourist" treatment...

Edited by slidergirl

Instead of age appropriate, maybe you should ask yourself if you want to look like a tourist, or blend in with the European crowd more?

If it is the latter, then wear walking shoes (not sneakers), pants or capris in a dark color (not jeans), a nice jacket (not a jean jacket), comfortable top or button down blouse. Even if you don't speak the language, Europeans seem to respect people more who don't scream "I am an American tourist" with the clothes they wear.

Instead of age appropriate, maybe you should ask yourself if you want to look like a tourist, or blend in with the European crowd more?

If it is the latter, then wear walking shoes (not sneakers), pants or capris in a dark color (not jeans), a nice jacket (not a jean jacket), comfortable top or button down blouse. Even if you don't speak the language, Europeans seem to respect people more who don't scream "I am an American tourist" with the clothes they wear.

If you want to blend in, as you say, you can't do much better than good jeans tucked into boots, or worn with booties.

If you want to blend in, as you say, you can't do much better than good jeans tucked into boots, or worn with booties.

I always take my jeans; the style just changes depending on where I'm going. This time, it'll be my straight cut (NOT skinny) that I can wear with my boots (tucked in or not) and my casual shoes. A few Tshirts, mostly short-sleeved, but one or two long sleeved. I'll wait until just before I leave (that day) to check the weather to determine which jacket I take. I'll wear one scarf on my travel day, then pick up one (or five ;) ) more along the way to add to the wardrobe.

My problem is my feet tend to be warm, and that makes my whole body feel warm. As my feet go, so does my body; in more ways than one! :D

So, if I'm going to be doing a lot of walking, or on public transportation, I have to wear footwear that doesn't overheat my feet. That's why I got my Bernie Mev shoes and my Chaco's.

I'll layer up my top half, but my feet and legs have to be cooler, or I will swelter all day long in and out of public transpo and buildings.