Is Concierge Level worth it?

Leejnd4

I realize it's annoying when first-timers in any forum ask the same question over and over. ;)

I did do a search...the problem is that it can be hard to find a specific answer when doing a search on "concierge level", or "concierge veranda", or even just "concierge" brings up a bazillion threads that have nothing to do with my question, so it can be quite time consuming.

I've been a member of CC long enough to know that there are always helpful members of any forum willing to jump in and answer a quick, well-stated question. If that's not you, that's okay. :)

Don't worry, I wasn't annoyed! We're used to repetitious questions, anyway -- it's the nature of the beast. (Oops, I guess it sounds like I WAS annoyed, but I was not.) I just thought a successful search would be more helpful. OTOH, I, too, haven't had much luck when attempting a search.

I see there are now plenty of answers which hopefully won't confuse you more.

Mura

P.S. About the lounge ... we found it convenient but certainly not something that is essential. I saw lots of people sitting there, reading papers, etc., but for us it was mainly to get a snack if for some reason we weren't on board for a real meal and just wanted a little something to carry us over to dinner. That is certainly not a reason to book concierge if it's the only reason, and since you say you're trying to keep the costs down on this trip after your recent splurge, I'd guess that you're better off not doing it. But only you will know ...

Edited by Mura
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to put a plug in for a concierge I saw in action. A fellow cruiser had been unfortunately pick pocketed of his wallet (while ashore) with all his credits cards, etc. The concierge aided him in calling the credit card companies to promptly cancel all the cards. A service none of us would have liked to plan on but was much appreciated by the cruiser.

• Like 1

I'd like to put a plug in for a concierge I saw in action. A fellow cruiser had been unfortunately pick pocketed of his wallet (while ashore) with all his credits cards, etc. The concierge aided him in calling the credit card companies to promptly cancel all the cards. A service none of us would have liked to plan on but was much appreciated by the cruiser.

That is certainly an unfortunate need but a good use of the concierge in the lounge.

I am wondering if the "regular" concierge in the lobby would be willing or able to offer the same service under these circumstances?

It's been so long since I was on Cruise Critic...how fun to see that it's just as I remembered, with so many avid cruise always willing to help!

Fantastic feedback...I very much appreciate the widely varying opinions. Really a good, solid picture of the benefits from the passenger's perspective, which is what I was hoping for. And especially, thanks for the photos!

I can totally see where concierge level would be of significant value...but I'm thinking, not on this cruise. It's a ten day Caribbean with only two sea days. That spa deck looks lovely, and I expect we'll get day passes.

Mura, no worries...and I thank you very much for your opinion!

I have so many other questions...I may start a new thread after we've booked. In the meantime here's one: I see mention of upsells to higher categories. Do those upsells often end up less than the price if you had booked that class straight away? Because it wouldn't take too much of a discount to entice me into a PH...I just can't spring for the list price that's out there now.

One other concierge lounge plus- handy to use the computer/printer for doing boarding passes for return flights. Yes, you can do this in the internet lounge but the concierge lounge was open more hours than the internet lounge.

I have so many other questions...I may start a new thread after we've booked. In the meantime here's one: I see mention of upsells to higher categories. Do those upsells often end up less than the price if you had booked that class straight away? Because it wouldn't take too much of a discount to entice me into a PH...I just can't spring for the list price that's out there now.

It varies from cruise to cruise and is driven by the occupancy rate.

For example, if there are too many veranda guarantees and open PHs, then they will offer up-sells. They are usually better than booking a PH outright. If there are no takers, the offers get better & better until cabins are filled.

The offers go through the TA - so you may want to alert your TA that you would be interested in a PH up-sell offer and give them the upper limits of your price.

Yes, you can do this in the internet lounge but the concierge lounge was open more hours than the internet lounge.

:confused:

The internet lounge never closes, although it is not always attended by a staff member (but neither is the lounge).

On our only Oceania cruise, we had a PH (oh, I'm going to miss the Butler :( ). This time on Regatta, we decided on an A2 for the following things that are important to us (YMMV):

1. We are all the way aft, overlooking the wake (IMO a must have cabin in Alaska).

2. We like the early boarding and cold bubbles in the room upon arrival.

3. We live on the spa terrace, especially since we've been to Alaska several times and probably won't do many shore visits for long periods of time.

4. Earlier specialty restaurant reservations.

5. More free internet minutes.

It just depends on what is important for you.

:confused:

...although it is not always attended by a staff member (but neither is the lounge).

Whenever I saw this sign, I left a post-it note: "Wow...nice work if you can get it..."

...be sure not to be there when everyone comes back from shore and needs help... :rolleyes:

15909959653_20818feff8_b.jpg

We were once upgraded (at a small cost) to concierge level, and it was nice for the small extra cost. However, I didn't really feel it was worth paying more than what we paid. We did, however, see quite a few people getting help from the concierge (for example, calling a phone provider to solve a cell phone problem) and we were also helped several times ourselves (e.g., researching and arranging a golf tee time for my husband). I always went there at night to get maps of the next day's port, as it was closer to go there than to go downstairs to get one. Of course, I suppose the ship's concierge could have provided the help that we and others received from "our" concierge, so while it was nice having her, it was not something we would have been lost without. The only thing we asked about that she couldn't do was print out boarding passes. Getting to book restaurant reservations earlier would have been nice, but when we were upgraded we had already booked our reservations (inside cabin, so later, but still turned out OK) so that was of no benefit for us. I don't know if I knew of the hot breakfast for room service - that would have been nice once or twice!

I would pass on the concierge level and spend the money on something else!

Has anyone mentioned that Concierge level can order a hot room service breakfast (eggs, bacon, etc.) while non-Concierge level can't? For some, that is a deciding factor.

Oh dear. Yeah that is a biggie...I very much enjoy a hot breakfast in my cabin when I first wake up. I'm quite the social butterfly, but not until I've had my coffee and eggs!

Oh well...I like the idea of these bigger balconies in the B category verandas, so I guess I'll have to actually go out for breakfast. I can live with that.

Regarding concierge services, we haven't used them that much but we found services in the lounge and reception area very helpful. On the "R" ships, when I'm setting up a Meet & Greet, I go to the reception area concierge who helps arrange the party. On the "O" ships, I've gone to the Executive Lounge for assistance, but when we're just looking for off-hours nibbles I've gone to whichever lounge is closest to our cabin. On at least one cruise that was the Concierge Lounge. I was never told "that's not my job".

In Sydney (back in '08) the reception concierge was very helpful in making restaurant reservations for us to go to a highly recommended restaurant which had two locations: one right by the ship, the other a fair drive away. But he said by all means go to the further location, the one in port wasn't as good. (An added benefit to our dinner that night was the sight of Nautica sailing out of port, headed for Bangkok. We regretted having cancelled our Sydney-Bangkok reservation when we saw her sailing away on a beautiful night.)

Just as with everything else, there are some concierges who are wonderful and others who would rather not work so hard. It's the luck of the draw sometimes. But our luck has always been good on Oceania with concierges (as with other staff).

Mura

We had Concierge Level 10 back in 2012 and it was fabulous. One of the reasons we booked Concierge was because my friend liked the privacy of the Spa Deck, she did not like going down to the main swimming pool and up on the Spa Deck was very private and there was hardly anyone around and we would have gone their most days at least for a couple of hours. The only thing I did not like was that the water in the pools were too warm and we were there in the middle of summer. Other than that I think it is worth it. We are on going on another cruise in July to Europe and we have booked Concierge Level again.

• 4 years later...

We had a Concierge cabin for a Caribbean cruise on Riviera and were very happy with the extra amenities.  My husband is an early riser and had his coffee and pastry  every morning in the concierge lounge.  We used the Spa Terrace almost every day, even on port days and enjoyed the spa pool.  I’m not sure it would be worth having in cool weather ports of call.  As someone else mentioned - beware of chair hogs😄.  Getting reservations for the specialty restaurants is a big plus - as is early boarding.  Having a relaxing lunch on board makes for an early start on your cruise.  Our last cruise was in a PH and for us there’s no going back.  

Whatever cabin you choose you’ll love the experience.

Many say yes, many say no.  It depends on what YOU want and what you value.

Yes, the laundry turn-around is 3 days, and in our experience (in a higher level cabin) it was often 2 days.

Mura

Glad to see this bumped.  Now I'm super glad that when I booked directly with Oceania, I went for a veranda.  Within a couple of hours he emailed me that we'd been upgraded to Concierge 🙂  At no charge.  Yippee 🙂

On 2/13/2015 at 9:14 PM, LHT28 said:

It depends

If you want to board early noonish usually, want to choose dining reservations early 60 days out

If you want access to the spa deck included

if you want a bottle of bubbly included

if you want 4 garments pressed for no charge

if you want the use of the Concierge lounge (on the O class ships)

If you want an Oceania tote bag

if you want the use of a lap blanket

then it is worth the extra $$

If none of that bothers you go for the B Category cabins

Enjoy your cruise

Lyn

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but concierge and above are entitled to hot breakfast on room service. It’s a nice touch!

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Just booked concierge cabin.  Why?  All regular verandas were sold out. Do they really have a 3 day turn around for laundry?  

yes for the Free bag   but could be less  depends on how busy they are

Not so much a special menu but you can get hot dishes.  Certainly that is true for PH and above, and I think it also applies to Concierge.  Correct me someone if I'm wrong on that.

So even if you don't see that you can have an omelet, you can write it in.  And not just omelets.

I'm talking about breakfast in the room, not "room service".  All rooms can choose from the room service menu which you will find in the booklet in all rooms.

Mura

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, clo said:

Am I remembering that there's a special menu for all meals for room service at that level and above?

concierge  have a hot breakfast menu  they can also order for GDR off the lunch & Dinner menu during open hours

There is  the other room service menus  that I think are the same for any cabin cat 

• Thanks 1