International Dateline crossing / Question

holacanada

Hi fellow cruisers !

As the cold winter goes her in QC, I have a lot of times to think about questions

concerning my next cruise.

Well, there's one for you : I understand that we will cross three times the International Dateline. How does this happening on the ship ? It should still be pretty weird ?

No..?

Are certain ceremonies were held to celebrate these events ? I think about The Neptune ceremony or else.

Holacanada from Quebec city

Aboard the Oosterdam in 64 DAYS 3 HOURS 58 MINUTES and counting !

When we recently crossed the date line (on the Oosterdam) there was no real ceremony but it did become somewhat of a fun issue. Our Pacific crossing had a large number of Canadians (actually the largest nationality aboard) and the way the schedule worked was that they were going to totally lose their Thanksgiving (Oct 13) which had the Canadians abuzz. They did make a special announcement (with some humor) about the issue and assured the Canadians that there would still be the traditional Turkey Dinner.

The only ritual celebrated aboard was the usual King Neptune fete when crossing the Equator.

Hank

I'll be aboard the Volendam for its east-bound crossing from Asia to the Americas in April/May. We'll be repeating Thursday May 7th. :) I'll be curious to see how they do it. Do we go to bed on Thursday night and wake up and its Thursday morning again?

I'll be aboard the Volendam for its east-bound crossing from Asia to the Americas in April/May. We'll be repeating Thursday May 7th. :) I'll be curious to see how they do it. Do we go to bed on Thursday night and wake up and its Thursday morning again?

Yes! That's about it.

You get Thursday 1 and Thursday 2.

Be careful if you book the Pinnacle or anything else: some ships have a tricky time of keeping it all straight!

Good to see you here, Rev! Great cruise: we've done it twice and LOVED Japan! Good company with Miss Ruth. We may have to consider this one again - she owes me a drink or two!!

I just discovered this cruise last week! It's now on our "to do" list.

Our Pacific crossing had a large number of Canadians (actually the largest nationality aboard) and the way the schedule worked was that they were going to totally lose their Thanksgiving (Oct 13) which had the Canadians abuzz. They did make a special announcement (with some humor) about the issue and assured the Canadians that there would still be the traditional Turkey Dinner.

Yes, but was the Thanksgiving meal already leftovers by the time they served it?

I've crossed the International Dateline a few times on HAL ships, in both directions. The ship doesn't do anything special to mark the occasion.

On one cruise we did it in both directions, so one day we had a totally blank daily program, with just the headings showing; on the return we had the day #1, and day #2, just as SilvertoGold said (yes, I DO owe you a few drinks ;) ).

But! since the ship changes time at 2:00 AM. on one cruise I did manage to get a bar bill for the day that didn't exist. :D

I dread heading eastbound! How many hours will I lose heading from Hong Kong to Vancouver, anyway???

It's like us flying from Auckland to Vancouver, depart for instance Sunday at 8pm and arrive Vancouver Sunday 2.15pm, after a 13 hour, 15minute flight.:D

During Trans Pacific Cruises on the Volendam we have received "Crossing the Dateline" certificates.

Once had a 17 March-a and 17 March-b on a cruise and yes, we went to bed on a Tuesday and woke up on a Tuesday. It was our next cabin mates anniversary and she nonchalantly mentioned that if she was having 2 anniversaries, she expected 2 presents. Found her husband in the shops trying to figure out what to buy for present #2. Have lost a day of our lives and yes, you go to sleep on a Tuesday and wake up on Thursday. Wrecks havoc with non-daily meds. We did receive a very nice certificate that we had crossed the dateline but no ceremony like the King Neptune for the equator - but that comes from age-old sailor traditions.

Ruth

I think you lose 8 hours between HK and Vancouver.

Don't quote me on this: international dateline stuff drives me crazy!

We will lose 8 hours, yes ... but we'll also add a whole day day. :)

Hong Kong is 16 hours on the clock ahead of Vancouver. 16+8 = 24.

Vancouver is UTC-8

Hong Kong is UTC+8

Edited by RevNeal

It's like us flying from Auckland to Vancouver, depart for instance Sunday at 8pm and arrive Vancouver Sunday 2.15pm, after a 13 hour, 15minute flight.:D

We had a similar experience last year flying from Tokyo, Japan, to Dallas, Texas. We landed BEFORE we took off. :)

The other way around is fun.

We're departing Dallas on Friday, April 10, at 12:20 pm.

We land in Hong Kong on Saturday, April 11, at 6:00 pm.

On the clock, that's 29 hours and 40 minutes. But, thanks to the International Dateline, it's only 16 hours and 40 minutes in the air.

I had forgotten about the certificate for crossing the Dateline. You're right---we do get that. I have a nice little collection of certificates for crossing various "lines" around the world.

Thanks for letting me know I will lose 8 hours of sleep. :rolleyes: Not good.

I have been told that when there are so many hours lost, the clocks are changed in the afternoon. That would help. Even a half hour in the daytime, and a half hour at night would be good! I could live with that.

It has to be even harder on the crew, too, since they work such long hours as it is.

The CD told us that HAL opted to change the clocks mid-afternoon on longer cruises so the crew would lose less sleep. It is weird going from 2 pm to 3 pm in a heart beat.

It sure will screw up my lunchtime. I usually have lunch around 2:30-3:00. With the time missing, lunch will be a lot closer to dinner. Wonder if I'll want to eat?

On our crossing on the Westerdam in addition to all that has been said about time changes, certificates, etc. the line did have a King Neptune ceremony on the aft pool deck for those crew members that have not crossed, it was a blast and very interesting.

On our crossing on the Westerdam in addition to all that has been said about time changes, certificates, etc. the line did have a King Neptune ceremony on the aft pool deck for those crew members that have not crossed, it was a blast and very interesting.

That's a traditional Crossing the Equator ceremony (and lots of fun, too ;)). Are you sure you're not confusing the two "lines"?

The CD told us that HAL opted to change the clocks mid-afternoon on longer cruises so the crew would lose less sleep. It is weird going from 2 pm to 3 pm in a heart beat.

HAL has been experimenting with mid-day time changes for many years. We have been told that credit for this idea goes to the popular "Captain Albert" (with some support from the recently retired "Captain Halle"). We have only seen the practice used when doing eastbound cruises where they turn the clock ahead during the daytime. This has usually been done about 1pm. I can recall "Captain Albert" coming on the PA system around 1, doing his usual Captain's update and then saying, "it is now 2pm." Many of us like the practice since we do not lose an hour's sleep and it is also very helpful to the food service staff who really suffer when they lose an hour between the end of dinner service and early breakfast.

Hank

We will lose 8 hours, yes ... but we'll also add a whole day day. :)

Hong Kong is 16 hours on the clock ahead of Vancouver. 16+8 = 24.

Vancouver is UTC-8

Hong Kong is UTC+8

Thank you! Sounds reasonable until I have to figure this out by myself!

Edited by SilvertoGold

It sure will screw up my lunchtime. I usually have lunch around 2:30-3:00. With the time missing, lunch will be a lot closer to dinner. Wonder if I'll want to eat?

Most of the time on longer cruises the time has been changed at 2 pm. I think HAL has mostly settled on this method.

Go to Afternoon Tea!

Works well: sandwiches to mimic lunch and then a lot of dessert!

That is the problem with Tea: too close to lunch even when you do late dining!

What was fun on the day we crossed the dateline on Statendam 2/13, were the floor mats in the elevators. Since we crossed during daylight, they were all wrong by afternoon. Then coming back it was similar.

Off topic a bit: when I was in the service (1969) we flew from Northern California on our way to Hawaii. Everyone off so they could refuel. Onward to Guam, everyone off so they could refuel. Onward to the Philippines, that was my destination. I had zero idea what the date was or the time. All I can recall was that it was dark. We bused to a place to sleep and they woke us about 3 hours later. I still did not know the day of the week, I was zonked.

Jim

Edited by JimnKaren