No discount offered by Princess TA?

Ajsis

I have never used a TA for any of my travel plans. I have only ever been on one cruise and I booked that myself through the Princess website. I have read the posts on using TA's with the benefits including discounts and on-board credits. I am looking at the 7/8/15 British Isles cruise with Princess and reached out to a Princess TA that has emailed me in the past to see if she could do anything over and above the website listed prices and on-board credit. She quoted all the same rates and OBC. The on-board credit already being offered is $200/pp for guests 1 & 2. Should I try another travel agent or is it possible there is nothing better to be had given the princess on-board credits are already generous. I would greatly appreciate any advice from more seasoned Princess travelers. Thank you in advance!

There are many different TAs out there. Some discount or offer extra perks as incentive for booking through them. Others offer no discount and no extra perks. Feel free to contact as many TAs as you like and see what is offered by each one.

I have never used a TA for any of my travel plans. I have only ever been on one cruise and I booked that myself through the Princess website. I have read the posts on using TA's with the benefits including discounts and on-board credits. I am looking at the 7/8/15 British Isles cruise with Princess and reached out to a Princess TA that has emailed me in the past to see if she could do anything over and above the website listed prices and on-board credit. She quoted all the same rates and OBC. The on-board credit already being offered is $200/pp for guests 1 & 2. Should I try another travel agent or is it possible there is nothing better to be had given the princess on-board credits are already generous. I would greatly appreciate any advice from more seasoned Princess travelers. Thank you in advance!

YEs...try a different TA. We are booked on the British Isles cruise for 2015 and our TA has beat the Princess price by quite a bit as well as offered additional OBC. Keep looking!

Just because someone sells Princess (like mine) doesn't mean they are a Princess TA (also like mine). The options they have can vary greatly based on quantity they sell, how much of their commission they want to keep (and sometimes there is promo commission on certain runs, etc).

If discounts are your primary goal, shop around. Personally I prefer to build a relationship with one agent even if it means I don't see discounts on every trip (got a nice discount on our upcoming RCCL cruise, but nothing on Princess, her office doesn't sell enough)

My TA has always offered a lower price than Princess, but I thought surely she had met her match on my most recent booking and wouldn't be able to beat Princess and that would have been fine.

A few days ago someone posted about mini-suites for a 20 day Caribbean cruise on the Royal going for about the same price as a 10 day cruise or about the same as an inside cabin - $2000/person total. I jumped on it and booked a guarantee as it was only up there for a short time. Today, the lowest price mini-suite is $3510/person for past passengers.

So, after booking with Princess I cancelled a Panama Canal cruise we had booked for the same time and transferred this booking to my TA so I could take advantage of my FCC. The total booking with Princess was $4280, including fare, taxes and port fees, and vacation protection for two people. With my TA, it was $4047, a difference of $236. I couldn't believe she was able to give me an even lower price, but if ever there was a reason to stay with my TA, this was it.

Travel agents are not required to offer a discount or any perks. So do and some don't. Just keep checking. When on a cruise or talking to friends, when someone says they got a great deal, ask for the TA name and build a list. I found my TA that was. I get a 15% or so discount when we book.

What does OP mean by a Princess TA ?

Possibly a Princess sales agent and not a real TA at all .

Shouldn't have to do too much shopping to find a TA that discounts Princess rates and or offers OBC and othe goodies. A British Isles cruise is a nice sale

for any TA to not "thank you for your booking $$$".

Edited by MCC retired

Over the years I have booked over 15 cruises with a well known & reputable travel agency. Not once have they given me anything other than what Princess quotes on their website. They always tell me I'm part of a 'group booking' but the price is exactly the same. They get the discount from Princess for booking blocks of cabins but don't pass the savings on to their clients. No extra OBC, no upgrades, no free anything. They offer Aeroplan points but only for one person per cabin. Makes it a little awkward when you cruise with a friend - who gets the points? They should split them. Just my opinion.

I know, I know - time to stop dragging my feet and find someone new. I have tried 3 different agents from three different franchise offices & it's the same each time. I guess this particular company is not in Princess's good books because every question I have comes back with 'Princess said no'. With everything I read here, that just isn't possible. For those of you who have a great TA, congratulations. I know they're out there - just have to find one! The hunt is on!:D

Keep looking! I've been with the same TA and always get a better price than the Princess website. I sail single so I appreciate her extra effort to give me a better price plus an onboard account credit, too.

I have a booking with them now for a different cruise line and they notified me the price had dropped. I didn't even have to tell them. I noticed it, was going to send an email and they already notified me. There are good ones! :)

My TA has always offered a lower price than Princess, but I thought surely she had met her match on my most recent booking and wouldn't be able to beat Princess and that would have been fine.

A few days ago someone posted about mini-suites for a 20 day Caribbean cruise on the Royal going for about the same price as a 10 day cruise or about the same as an inside cabin - $2000/person total. I jumped on it and booked a guarantee as it was only up there for a short time. Today, the lowest price mini-suite is $3510/person for past passengers.

So, after booking with Princess I cancelled a Panama Canal cruise we had booked for the same time and transferred this booking to my TA so I could take advantage of my FCC. The total booking with Princess was $4280, including fare, taxes and port fees, and vacation protection for two people. With my TA, it was $4047, a difference of $236. I couldn't believe she was able to give me an even lower price, but if ever there was a reason to stay with my TA, this was it.

The percentage of commission is usually the same if it is an expensive 10 night or a cheap 20 night cruise. Most likely, your TA discounts a certain percentage of the cruise fare. So it doesn't matter how great of deal you get on the cruise. At least that is how my TA handles discounting.

Edited by Coral

Ask a lot of questions when you interview a TA. What are the fees for if a lower a fare is available and you want to take advantage. What are the fees if you have to cancel. What are the fees if you just want to change cabins. Some charge fees for everything some don't.

We took a quick glance at the deals offered by one of our "favored" cruise agencies for the 7/8/15 Royal Princess Cruise. This particular agency was offering an additional OBC equal to approximately 7% of the cruise fare (not including taxes and fees). Our experience has been that quite a few decent cruise agencies will offer amenities ranging from 7-10% on nearly every cruise and this appears to be no exception.

Hank

Thank all so much for the replies! I asked a 'Commodore Certified' Princess TA local to me for a quote and it was no different than Princess website and they also said 'Keep in mind that no travel agency is able to sell cruises for less than the cruise line’s rates. We like this policy because it allows you to choose the travel agency that gives you the best service!' I will try another one as based on the above, there are deals to be had!!

BTW, I found my TA by connecting with a long time well respected frequent poster on CC. I was able to connect by being on the same Roll Call. Another benefit of Roll Calls besides meeting new friends and booking private tours.

Thank all so much for the replies! I asked a 'Commodore Certified' Princess TA local to me for a quote and it was no different than Princess website and they also said 'Keep in mind that no travel agency is able to sell cruises for less than the cruise line’s rates. We like this policy because it allows you to choose the travel agency that gives you the best service!' I will try another one as based on the above, there are deals to be had!!

That TA is flat out lying to OP.

Princess is one of the few cruise lines that still allows TA discounting (rebate of comm.).

As a Princess Commodore he/she has completed lots of online training to earn that status , but may have sold very little Princess ?

Still should know that discounting is permitted .

Move on !

What the TA's are doing, is booking people into their open "groups" which they get at a lower price from Princess for a block of cabins. You can book into groups with Celebrity as well. It is not really "discounting" as such but it is probably a wash as the TA's would receive less commission for a group booking. The rep was right as the TA's cannot advertise rates less than on Princess's website. If I have explained/described this incorrectly hopefully a TA can correct me:)

That TA is flat out lying to OP.

Princess is one of the few cruise lines that still allows TA discounting (rebate of comm.).

A discount or OBC can often be given even if no part of the commission is rebated.

o If the TA has a group booking for the cruise, the TA has to pay less for the cabins. If you are not getting some of this cost reduction, the TA is just getting more than the standard commission.

o If the TA has a group booking, then the TA has amenity points that can be used for the passenger's benefit. For example, a TA can supply OBC or a bottle of wine for the passenger. However, the TA can choose to spend the amenity points on a bonus commission instead of anything for the passenger.

If the TA is offering only what you can get from booking directly with Princess (pricing, OBC, etc.) then that TA is usually just collecting additional commissions.

And when looking for a TA that does discount Princess voyages, you need to ask for a quote from the TA. Without asking for a quote, all you will see on the Internet is the same pricing as Princess. This is the agreement with Princess that TAs agree to.

What the TA's are doing, is booking people into their open "groups" which they get at a lower price from Princess for a block of cabins. You can book into groups with Celebrity as well. It is not really "discounting" as such but it is probably a wash as the TA's would receive less commission for a group booking. The rep was right as the TA's cannot advertise rates less than on Princess's website. If I have explained/described this incorrectly hopefully a TA can correct me:)

While not a TA, my TA discounts cruises even when she doesn't have a group booking for that sailing. When she does have group space, the benefits are better.

A discount or OBC can often be given even if no part of the commission is rebated.

o If the TA has a group booking for the cruise, the TA has to pay less for the cabins. If you are not getting some of this cost reduction, the TA is just getting more than the standard commission.

o If the TA has a group booking, then the TA has amenity points that can be used for the passenger's benefit. For example, a TA can supply OBC or a bottle of wine for the passenger. However, the TA can choose to spend the amenity points on a bonus commission instead of anything for the passenger.

If the TA is offering only what you can get from booking directly with Princess (pricing, OBC, etc.) then that TA is usually just collecting additional commissions.

And when looking for a TA that does discount Princess voyages, you need to ask for a quote from the TA. Without asking for a quote, all you will see on the Internet is the same pricing as Princess. This is the agreement with Princess that TAs agree to.

This is correct!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No travel agent is allowed to ADVERTISE cruise fares less than Princess. A Good TA who sells a lot of Princess Cruises can give you a quote that will better the Princess prices at that time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

True .

If you are shopping merely by surfing the internet , you will not see discounted Princess prices advertised.

You have to actually ask for a quote or even better call the TA for the discounted price.

Never accept a TA quote that merely offers the exact same thing that Princess is offering for booking direct. That TA is taking advantage of non shoppers.

You've all given me hope that there are better TAs out there. I think discounting is done more by American TAs than Canadian, though a few times I did use an American one & the price was the same as Princess. I guess it's a gamble. I don't think they should give up their commissions just because I want to pay less, but loyalty to their agency should count for something. Oh well, my TA is there whenever I need him which is more than my previous one was.