Early flight time out of FLL

canadianont

Sailing on the Silhouette this month out of FLL. We disembark on Easter Sunday and our flight leaves FLL at 10:35 am. Mildly concerned that we may have booked too early a flight. We will self disembark as early as possible and carry our own luggage off.

Anyone taken early flights before who can offer any advice?

Walking yourself off I think you will be fine. We had an almost identical departure time after Thanksgiving and had no issue. Even with a bit of a delay disembarking due to an inconsiderate passenger, we were past the security line at FLL by 8AM.

Things could go wrong and you might not make it. It's unlikely, but as long as you are prepared to deal with that possibility, I think you're in good shape.

Sailing on the Silhouette this month out of FLL. We disembark on Easter Sunday and our flight leaves FLL at 10:35 am. Mildly concerned that we may have booked too early a flight. We will self disembark as early as possible and carry our own luggage off.

Haven't ever taken a flight that early so can't offer advice (we are risk averse). But I can provide information.

It looks like that, in addition to the Silhouette, these ships will be at Port Everglades on Easter Sunday - a potential for about 17,000 people disembarking:

Allure of the Seas

Independence of the Seas

Regal Princess

MS Eurodam

Enjoy your cruise, and as others have said - have a good Plan B.

Edited by MarKay525

Just a side note.... the US govt has currently suspended funding of the DHS (Dept of Homeland Security), which includes Customs and Immigration. Ports will most definitely be affected by this, and could experience quite a backup until this issue resolves itself. FLL is always a busy port, and this could adversely affect your departure.

Good luck, even if there's a slight reduction of services because of the non-funding business, you could have a big problem. From our most recent experience disembarking Equinox on Feb 23, the lines in the terminal for Customs and Immigration were terribly long, and when our number was called to disembark at 8:50, there were still a number of the self disembarkers still waiting in line. Plus, if there's a large number of non-US citizens on your cruise, it could take longer because they only had one line for non-US.

Just a side note.... the US govt has currently suspended funding of the DHS (Dept of Homeland Security), which includes Customs and Immigration. Ports will most definitely be affected by this, and could experience quite a backup until this issue resolves itself. FLL is always a busy port, and this could adversely affect your departure.

What funding has been suspended, far as I know Homeland Security funding runs out Friday night and Customs and Immigration are necessary functions and will not be suspended.

you be alright, when you get back post up how much fun it was RUSHING. take your time to think about not just yourself and the others involved.

Happy Easter, those are the keywords. Easter, Busy time

It's tight and there is always the lines to get off the ship and of course security at the airport.... just be downstairs and ready to disembark... You should not have any issues but you will need to be moving.

Good Luck!

~Steve

I wouldn't ever book a flight that early, but then again I have been burned. Two years ago we had a 10 night on the Equinox out of FLL. I booked a flight around 1:15 pm. Plenty of time, right?! Well, there were major problems with customs at the port (this was right on the heels of federal cut backs) We walked out of the port into the FL sunshine at 1:10 pm. Yup. Missed our flight and incurred change fees to rebook our flight home.

The flights are already booked, right?

I recommend you be ready to go as soon as the ship is cleared - which could be quite early - and move as quickly as you can. The Café AL Bacio usually opens at 6 am on turn around day, with coffee and pastries. I think I'd be sitting there, showered and ready, when the Café opens, and try to be first off the ship.

There are new customs requirements that are making clearing the ship take about 30 to 45 minutes longer than usual. Also airports have gone to a more detailed inspection and lines last weekend in Phoenix AZ were running about 45 minutes or longer for all but one terminal.

Will you ake your flight? Probably. Guess I would ask - Is it necessary to put yuorself through this stress? Is there a later flight? Even 4 or 5 hours later and you could relax and not have a heart attack trying to make a plane. Also wonder what it costs you if you miss your flight in $$ and anguish?

We have been on numerous cruises out of Fort Lauderdale and always do the self walk off. We drive, but always are out of the port before 8:00. The airport is within sight of the port, so unless something unscheduled happens, you should be fine. We actually flew one year, and we' were so early they moved us up and we took a 7:30 flight home.

We are off the Silhouette two weeks ago, walked off at 8 am (long walk to get off), got luggage, and was at the airport in about 30 minutes. There was a five minute wait at Customs at the port, no wait for a taxi, no real traffic, ten minute wait to check bags, and no wait to get through security at the airport. I do note that once we checked our bags, the wait to check bags at Delta became fairly long, and the wait for Air Canada (?) next to Delta was long too.

FLL is very small, and once through security you can be at your gate in five minutes. I wouldn't hesitate to take this flight, but I would have a backup plan, just in case (know that the next scheduled flight to your location might be full, you might need to make a connection, etc.). Do not take a shuttle, get a cab.

If things do look unexpectedly busy, porters can be worth a few dollars in tips - I saw them jump the line at Delta to check a family in. Porter helped us at the cruise terminal because he knew exactly where to go, and picked the right line for us to get on. He also hustled us out for a taxi, but we didn't really save any time there since there was no wait - but the taxi was packed quickly. We lost no time figuring out where to go.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

There are lots and lots of threads on this very issue.... We have done 10:30 ish several times, no issue at all. You can see other posts be searching forum or maybe I saw them in ports forums. But IMO, you are fine.

Silhouette usually has the crummy berth,..long walk even if you won.t need to search for bags. If you get luggage valet that'd be good too.

Suggest you line up very early and be in the first group off...more and more folks walk off nowadays and the walk off line is huge, Take a cab and get to FLL as soon as you can..

We no longer book air before noon and best is around 2 pm....just in case.

have always made it, but stressful!

Here are some facts for your consideration, rather than opinions.

In our 30 cruises out of US ports, we have had two occasions where disembarkation was delayed until a little past 9:30 - 6.7% of our cruises to be exact. No way would you have made that flight on those cruises.

For the other 93.3% we would in all likelihood have made our flight had we done self walk-off, although keep in mind we were flying domestic.

That is a large enough sample size to be relevant, if not 100% definitive. Is a risk of just under 7% worth it to you for the price/possible convenience? Then go for it, but have a back-up plan just in case.

Edited by phoenix_dream

We've made 10:10 flights several times.

Here's what you should do about self-disembarking: whatever time they tell you to go down and line up (your luggage is actually your place in line) go about 45 minutes before that. If you wait till "the time" you'll be about 75 in line!

If you're one of the first off there is no problem whatsoever.

We always set our luggage down and one of us grabs some muffins and a drink.

If all goes well you will be over two hours early for your flight. We're usually at the airport by 8:30.

We got off Equinox on Fri. Feb 13. There were four other ships disembarking. We did walk off at 7:15 and were at the airport by 8:00. Caught an 8:45 flight with no problems. Highly recommend walk off. You have your luggage and walk thru customs before any crowd!

To facilitate your disembarkation please consider my recommendations.

Check in on line even if you have to pay a small internet charge. Pay any baggage fees and print off your boarding passes.

Be aware that you will face the possibility of toting your luggage up or down crowded stairwells. Elevators on the ship will be crowded.

Fill out completely and accurately your customs and immigration forms. Avoid spending more than your allowance. That would include cigarettes and liquor. Any duty owed could easily add 20 minutes to your disembarkation process.

Do not wear any new jewelry.

Do not attempt to bring back any prohibited items. That could include fresh fruit, vegetables or meat from the ship.

Keep all receipts handy as well as purchased items in case you are selected for an enhanced inspection.

In the event you face the possibility of a missed flight, and in addition to a list of alternate flights, have the phone number of your airline handy. If you have the app for the airline you can use that as well. The wait times for airlines in February and early March have been hours long due to North American weather.

I am not a fan of self disembarkation but you have little choice. As for the poster who mentioned luggage valet...it is not available for your flight time.

I hope all goes well. You will have a great cruise and hopefully an uneventful trip home.

On the Silhouette 2 weeks ago 4 of the mid-ship elevators were shut down the morning of disembarkation. We were told it was for crowd control of those self-disembarking. This caused most people to use the stairs, with and without heavy luggage. It was a real mess. Don't know if you will have this too, but plan accordingly.