Advice from Alaska veterans

Need opinions from others who have done Alaska cruises... is it worth it to get a balcony vs an inside cabin? Are there things you can bundle up in a hurry to get out & see on the balcony that you might miss if you have to get dressed plus get bundled up to go out on deck if you are in an inside cabin? Does anyone know?

You will probably get different answers, but for me, I really enjoyed our balcony when we went to Alaska last year. :D There was a blanket in the cabin that I used to bundle up with. At times when it was raining it was nice to be on the balcony and able to see the glaciers without getting wet.

Need opinions from others who have done Alaska cruises... is it worth it to get a balcony vs an inside cabin? Are there things you can bundle up in a hurry to get out & see on the balcony that you might miss if you have to get dressed plus get bundled up to go out on deck if you are in an inside cabin? Does anyone know?

I am heading out in May for my 3rd Alaska cruise ALWAYS in an inside cabin. There are lots of places on The Sun and the Jewel class ships where you can view Alaska without being outside. This year southern Alaska has had a very mild winter, so you may not need a very heavy jacket.

I love being in an Inside cabin.

Mandy

Balcony. There will be constantly beautiful scenery passing by. Even if you aren't out on the balcony for all of it, you still have the big floor to ceiling two glass doors to be looking through. If you only go into public areas to view this trip, you are going to miss a great deal. My opinion.

If there is ever an itinerary that needs a balcony it's Alaska.. When you travel to Alaska there is so much land and so much to see and enjoy. And yes you can go up on deck but it's nice to have your own spot.

If it is within your budget, a balcony is always nice, just did Alaska on the sun, could not imagine having to fight over the best photo op areas while in glacier bay. We did have a forward facing balcony but would be just as happy with one on either side of the ship.

*Living large one week at a time*

I think it is personal preference. For me having a balcony meant I look lean over and really see each moment. We ordered breakfast in the cabin and then the adult hot glacier drinks at two different intervals. It was a wonderful experience. I would not mind repeating this trip.

Count me in among those who wouldn't even consider cruising Alaska without a balcony!

There are just so many 'Wow!' moments just from looking out, let alone standing out there. We loved our balcony on the Pearl. In fact, my wife said to me..."You know there are a lot of foreigners on this ship?"..."Err, yes"..."Can we ask them what their word for WOW is? I need more words!!!!"

In fairness, we were extremely luck with the weather too. We had 65 and sun every day - in MID MAY!!!

When you cruise to Alaska it is all about the scenery. I would suggest a balcony so you can have large windows to look out of if you're inside the stateroom and a place to step out and see a whale or other wildlife when some come along. You would also not have to elbow your way to the rails up on deck if you want to take pictures as well. A balcony is well worth the money for an Alaska trip.

we usually take an inside or oceanview . We spend most of our time on the promenade deck in a chair (under a blanket) and watch the scenery . Usually when they talk about wildlife from the bridge , it's on the wrong side of the ship.

I'v been twice to Alaska and both times the weather was cool and rainy. The first time we went we had a balcony and didn't use it once. The second time we had an oceanview. There are plenty of places on deck to view.

It's really just a matter of personal preference!

we usually take an inside or oceanview . We spend most of our time on the promenade deck in a chair (under a blanket) and watch the scenery . Usually when they talk about wildlife from the bridge , it's on the wrong side of the ship.

Hahahaha wrong side of the ship! There's no wrong side wildlife isn't predictable and can appear on either side, perhaps you booked the "wrong" side

*Living large one week at a time*

We did Alaska on the Star the first time and had a balcony. It was really early in the season, so it was a bit cold to be out on the balcony very often, but having the large sliding glass door window was very good. We're doing AK again on the Sun late in the season this year and we have an aft mini, so hopefully being out of the wind will be a bonus.

For Alaska, I would definitely do a balcony for the first time at least and then if you do AK again, you can decide if it was worth it or not. :D

Jen

No option here.

Balcony.

Never did meals out there, but we spent lots of time sitting there looking. We did do some snacks. Grab plate of goodies from buffet, bottle of wine and chill.

Edited by garycarla

I've done both, balconies are very nice, but certainly not essential. The view from a balcony, especially a typical side balcony is quite limited. Being out on deck affords you the luxury of going where the best scenery is or where the critters have been spotted. If it came down to balcony vs excursions I'd go inside.

We did a B to B in Alaska. Southbound inside, North bound family Aft. (huge). We enjoyed both. Only time I felt the balcony was a must was Mendenhall glacier. Decks get real crowded. We had 14 beautiful days. Never felt the need to bundle up. 80's every day.

We did a B to B in Alaska. Southbound inside, North bound family Aft. (huge). We enjoyed both. Only time I felt the balcony was a must was Mendenhall glacier. Decks get real crowded. We had 14 beautiful days. Never felt the need to bundle up. 80's every day.

You can't see the Mendenhall glacier from the ship. I think you might mean Glacier Bay?

If money is no object, then by all means get a balcony. If the budget is tight, but you're worried if you're going to miss everything being in an inside, you're wrong. While we've only cruised AK twice (3rd coming up in May), they've been in insides and will yet again. If it's raining, there are several places you can relax & hang out while staying warm & dry yet still enjoying the passing scenery. We'd rather spend the money on excursions, which aren't cheap in AK.