NEW Suite Upgrades....

Glad to help. We love the aft balcony on the SLS that you saw the pics of. I understand the idea of a separate room for your friend, and "space" for you.

As for planning in our house I pick the ship, the cabin and route and pester my wife until she gives in. Our marriage is based on compromise.:p

I just pester my husband until he acts. It's not really giving in, since he's already decided he wants to go on a cruise. It's more like me pushing him to actually book.

Thanks again for providing the information. Our friend that cruises with us is coming to visit in couple of weeks (track season in Saratoga!). In between picking the horses with the best names to bet on, we'll be talking cruise. First we have to figure out some details about our upcoming Escape cruise (hard to do when all the information is still trickling out) and then start looking towards 2017. She's sailed on Royal before, so at least she has some experience, although it has been on the smaller ships.

L1 is probably a poor example since that category already gets gold card perks and will now be Sky Class. When I compare the current gold card perks with the new Sky Class perks, I do not see any differences that have significant value. IMHO, that illustrates the real problem with Royal Suite Class. The only benefits that were not available before and that have any real value are the Star Class benefits and only one half of one percent of the rooms on each ship are Star Class. By comparison, about 7.5% of the rooms on Cunard are in Queens Grill Class. Even on a 4-class long haul jetliner, 2% of the seats are usually in first class. Star Class gets nearly all of the new perks and it is just too rarified!

The L1 does have more benefits but for kicks and giggles I compared the April 23, 2016 Oasis Western in an SL (12,118) to the May 7, 2016 Western and it is $10,993. The value is there. I don't see your perceived problem unless maybe it's your own risk assessment of not getting one.

On X, the daily gratuity is increased by $3.50 per day to cover the Butler. SO you pay the normal set of gratuities for a suite and F&B and Cabin steward, and an additional $350 pp day for butler.

X has 3 gratuity levels, Standard, Aqua and Concierge, and Suite.

I tip $50 extra for each event I host, but rarely any above the daily standard amount unless I get really above board service.

Thank you! I was curious and since RCI is now including gratuities with the cost of the suite I was wondering

One thing I was really hoping for that it looks like won't happen for most of the fleet/suites is the ability to entertain more easily. I've co-hosted two "after parties" for cabin crawls with the person in the Royal Suite. Both times (Mariner and Serenade), it seemed like it took an act of Congress to get any food at all. When I asked for food for a group when I was in one of the Aqua Theater Suites on Oasis, I ended up with cookies.

By contrast, when I was in a suite on HAL they brought in trays of hot and cold appetizers and enough wine glasses for me to host a sailaway party. Last summer on the Connie, we ended our cabin crawl in one of the suites with a fabulous butler-provided spread.

I don't think Royal Caribbean really realizes (or doesn't care) what a gap there is between the services others are providing to their suite guests and what they're providing. Even with these recent changes, most of the suites aren't eligible or aren't on the chosen ships, so they really haven't closed the gap at all. It's too bad, because the suites themselves are beautiful and spacious.

We have a suite on Princess in December. I'm anxious to have the opportunity to compare their suite product with Royal Caribbean's suite product.

I will just be so happy to be off work for a week and be on this huge ship with my husband of 25 years in a JS that I'm not Gona worry about who gets what. Bring on the sun the beach and the drink package. Sailing September 11,2016 on the Allure

I Agree I do things for myself I love going to get my wife coffee and Danish while she's still in bed. I'm her husband and I love doing that for her I don't need a butler. Any other concerns I'll get the concierge. But very rarely. I guess some people are just more needy than others.

I will just be so happy to be off work for a week and be on this huge ship with my husband of 25 years in a JS that I'm not Gona worry about who gets what. Bring on the sun the beach and the drink package. Sailing September 11,2016 on the Allure

You'll be on the president and ceo Michael bayley cruise!!

Cindy,

We had B750, the Grand Suite on the Sapphire Princess for about 14 day in 2012. Princess could not do enough for us. In fact on the first night of the cruise we had in suite party for about 35 fellow cruisers. The staff brought everything we need including wine and some spirits. We did have several other parties in the suite with a few officers attending. To be fair at times we had cost to us associated with parties, but many items were complimentary.

No butler on Princess. We have them used them several times on Celebrity, they are a great benefit for making the cruise special. I just don't get it about the great sense of needing a butler, maybe I am not as refined as I should be😈

Princess actually provided us with a computer with unlimited internet for the suite. Shortly after that cruise that benefit was removed.

We were provided with two bottles of spirits, plus a mini-fridge spirit set up.

As suite guest we had made to order breakfast every morning in Sabatini's.

We received free laundry and several other suite benefits I have forgotten.

Our cruise on the Sapphire was exciting and well executed by the ship's staff. My DW was pampered by the staff. However, we really do prefer the Royal Caribbean Cruise. I am very disappointed that some form if the Royal Suite Class or amenities were not applied to other ships in the fleet.

Many of you have cruised the Oasis and Quantum a Class, they do nothing for me. So I guess I will never experience the Royal Suite Class.

I guess I will stay with the standard run of the mill suite benefits, and enjoy my lower priced cruise!

We recently sailed on Anthem and also did 2 cruises on Quantum in Nov/Dec 2014. Anthem and Quantum do not have a Suite Lounge. The Concierge Lounge (aft on deck 12) on both ships is for both D+/Pinnacle and Suite guests.

This is a post by another poster from a letter they received from concierge which specifically says that the CL lounge is for suite passengers only on the Anthem

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46519106&postcount=3

D, D+ were not allowed in CL (Suite Lounge) on the Anthem.

This is a post by another poster from a letter they received from concierge which specifically says that the CL lounge is for suite passengers only on the Anthem

I read that sentence of the cited letter differently.

First of all, D would not be allowed in the CL. There is a Diamond Lounge for them.

I believe that this sentence,

"The Concierge Club is a private area, exclusively reserved for guests that are staying in suites only."

is contained in a letter to the suite passengers. The meaning is that YOU WILL NOT BRING NON-SUITE GUESTS INTO THE CL WITH YOU.

I am equally sure that PC and D+ received a letter in THEIR cabins inviting them into the CL, with a sentence advising them that the CL is for "suite guests, D+ and PC only".

I wish that I could put my hands on my own letter. If I find it, I will scan and come back here.

:)

I agree with what Merion Mom said. We sailed on Anthem on June 20 and the CL was available to D+/Pinnacle and Suite Guests as it was both before and after our cruise.

Oasis and Allure have a Suites only Lounge on deck 17 next to Coastal Kitchen. D/D+ on those ships have a Lounge on deck 11/12 (the former CL).

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

I agree with what Merion Mom said. We sailed on Anthem on June 20 and the CL was available to D+/Pinnacle and Suite Guests as it was both before and after our cruise.

Oasis and Allure have a Suites only Lounge on deck 17 next to Coastal Kitchen. D/D+ on those ships have a Lounge on deck 11/12 (the former CL).

Sue, I checked, and I definitely did NOT save my letter from Reyno. Did you?

The L1 does have more benefits but for kicks and giggles I compared the April 23, 2016 Oasis Western in an SL (12,118) to the May 7, 2016 Western and it is $10,993. The value is there. I don't see your perceived problem unless maybe it's your own risk assessment of not getting one.

The problem is simply that the number of Star Class suites is so ridiculously small: On the Oasis there is 1 cat RL suite, 1 OL, 1 GL, 2 SLs, 2 A1s and 4 A2s. That totals to 11 suites on a ship with 2,742 cabins. Moreover, 7 of those 11 suites are 2-bedroom suites that are usually set aside for families. So there are only four Star Class suites on that enormous ship that are generally available to couples. As for the L1, it is in Sky Class. Sky Class has a few new perks but the only one that has measurable value and that was not already available with a gold Seapass seems to the complementary internet access and that was always available for purchase to anyone who wanted it. So my feeling is that Star Class is just too limited in number of suites and the other two new classes really offer almost nothing that is new.

I read that sentence of the cited letter differently.

First of all, D would not be allowed in the CL. There is a Diamond Lounge for them.

I believe that this sentence,

"The Concierge Club is a private area, exclusively reserved for guests that are staying in suites only."

is contained in a letter to the suite passengers. The meaning is that YOU WILL NOT BRING NON-SUITE GUESTS INTO THE CL WITH YOU.

I am equally sure that PC and D+ received a letter in THEIR cabins inviting them into the CL, with a sentence advising them that the CL is for "suite guests, D+ and PC only".

I wish that I could put my hands on my own letter. If I find it, I will scan and come back here.

:)

Ah, understand now -thanks for clarifying

We have a suite on Princess in December. I'm anxious to have the opportunity to compare their suite product with Royal Caribbean's suite product.

My wife and I were in a S5 Suite on the Coral Princess (Vancouver to Whittier) only 5 weeks ago on July 7. Our opinion is that RCCL already has a much better suite product than Princess. Princess provided complementary laundry (which might have been the best perk), a one time complementary minibar setup in the suite and a very nice suites-only breakfast at Sabbatini's. The minibar had a decent selection of spirits but no mixers (so we couldn't even make a Bloody Mary in the suite). Also, there was no reserved seating for suites either in the theater or on the sun deck. The "Elite Lounge" was simply a roped off area in the Explorers Lounge and there was no concierge there. All it offered was a few appetizers and they were not as good as the appetizers offered in the RCCL Concierge Clubs. Drinks in the Elite Lounge costed the same price as anywhere else, with the single exception of a "Drink of the Day" selected by the cruise line and which was never what either of us wanted. Suites got priority embarkation but no priority for debarkation (though that might have been difficult to arrange in Whittier).

Edited by actuarian

Cindy,

We had B750, the Grand Suite on the Sapphire Princess for about 14 day in 2012. Princess could not do enough for us. In fact on the first night of the cruise we had in suite party for about 35 fellow cruisers. The staff brought everything we need including wine and some spirits. We did have several other parties in the suite with a few officers attending. To be fair at times we had cost to us associated with parties, but many items were complimentary...

Our cruise on the Sapphire was exciting and well executed by the ship's staff. My DW was pampered by the staff. However, we really do prefer the Royal Caribbean Cruise. I am very disappointed that some form if the Royal Suite Class or amenities were not applied to other ships in the fleet.

Many of you have cruised the Oasis and Quantum a Class, they do nothing for me. So I guess I will never experience the Royal Suite Class.

I guess I will stay with the standard run of the mill suite benefits, and enjoy my lower priced cruise!

My wife and I were in a S5 Suite on the Coral Princess (Vancouver to Whittier) only 5 weeks ago on July 7. Our opinion is that RCCL already has a much better suite product than Princess. Princess provided complementary laundry (which might have been the best perk), a one time complementary minibar setup in the suite and a very nice suites-only breakfast at Sabbatini's. The minibar had a decent selection of spirits but no mixers (so we couldn't even make a Bloody Mary in the suite). Also, there was no reserved seating for suites either in the theater or on the sun deck. The "Elite Lounge" was simply a roped off area in the Explorers Lounge and there was no concierge there. All it offered was a few appetizers and they were not as good as the appetizers offered in the RCCL Concierge Clubs. Drinks in the Elite Lounge costed the same price as anywhere else, with the single exception of a "Drink of the Day" selected by the cruise line and which was never what either of us wanted. Suites got priority embarkation but no priority for debarkation (though that might have been difficult to arrange in Whittier).

Thanks all! Everybody's opinions are as different as their likes and dislikes, and I'm anxious to see for myself!

I think I will miss the dedicated lounge, but the drinks really aren't that big a deal to us. We usually end up buying a beverage package because I don't like most of the drinks they'll mix in the CL and I intensely dislike their wine!:o The exception to that was the incredible Melody and her chocolate martinis on the Serenade:D, but in my experience those types of drinks are not usually mixed in the CL.

For me, schedule breakfast delivery daily, to be delivered in cabin even if I am still asleep, enter room, leave the meal and leave the room. Normal room service staff won't do this.

Likewise I like a late night snack, so he knows to leave me a shrimp platter or cheese and cracker plate as his last duty at night so when I come back in the evening, I have a snack waiting.

Butler can handle all necessary dinner and show reservations, just tell him and it's done, no phone calls or forms or lines.

Butler also will keep mini bar stocked with favorite drinks, ensure necessary requested drink garnishes are in place, ensure necessary glassware is there.

Butler just provides a far more personalized service that a cabin steward can do.

IN essence, the cabin steward takes care of the cabin, the Butler takes care of of us as individuals.

Te butler is "always around" where the cabin steward is tending to specific duties that take a lot of time, and leaves them little time for small requests. So the butler can handle extra blanket,s pillows etc. Need a button sewn, butler will handle. need pressing done today for formal night tonight, he will handle it so it doesn't get lost in the 24 hour laundry cycle.

Butler will arrange cocktail parties and gatherings for the suite guest to entertain They will circulate int eh carbon, grabbing used glassware, poring drinks etc. It makes having social gatherings in big suites an amazing experience.

I often host gatherings for people on my role calls, or host my cabin as part of the Cabin Crawl, and butler always arranges a nice array of snacks and drinks for the groups that come through. They love setting up parties, and go beyond anything I would have done on my own. It makes a memorable experience for me and all those who get to come and experience it.

Lack of the butler is why I haven't yet sailed RCL ships.

Thanks so much for this, I wasn't sure either... If you are having non suite guest in your room for say a cabin crawl and want to offer snacks and drinks or want to invite a few non suite guests from roll call... How does that work for non suite guests, or if I want to invite someone for dinner in our cabin one evening??? I certainly wouldn't abuse this or anything but part of cruising is meeting people and since we will have our first time suite maybe myself or someone else in my party with want to invite someone that's a non suite guest