Lunch on shore days

silly2003

I am looking into excursions (in Alaska) and I'm wondering about lunch. Many of the excursions are 4.5 hours long or longer. And they are in the middle of nowhere, like a glacier. Does Princess give box lunches? I'm having a hard time figuring out where we are going to get lunch ... and we have a child (8) with us so he is going to be hungry too.

I just don't want to live on granola bars while on shore.

The excursion description has symbols showing level of activity and whether food is included (among other things). The food symbols are a knife and fork for a meal and an apple to designate a snack.

If there is no food symbol, there is no provided food.

In the full description there is a breakdown (almost minute to minute), sometimes it will note that there is a stop for lunch or snack on your own (you buy).

If no food and no stops, come prepared. BEFORE you leave home pack some packaged kid snacks and bring them on the excursion.

I plan ahead by eating a hearty breakfast when I know we'll be doing an excursion that goes through lunch. I also bring along granola bars, dried fruits, roasted nuts and other snacks--items that you're allowed to take off the ship.

On most excursions (2-5 hours) there is no food offered. The all day one's generally have a stop where you can get a bite to eat. On our excursions we have never had a lunch or snack provided. This is why we have used mostly Private excursions (on our last 3 cruises) that only 9-15 people go on, not a bus full at 55 total capacity. The Private excursions cost about half of what Princess charges and you are getting the same stops, but you can change the itinerary to add a food/drink stop at will. That bus is going on it's schedule regardless of what the passengers want.

Danishes, rolls, P&J sandwiches

Orange Juice (reuse old juice containers)

Egg sandwiches/ hard boiled eggs

Boxes of cereal

Stick with snacks that are in their original packaging (boxed cereals, wrapped granola bars, etc. would be okay), not food from the buffet because Alaska (and Canada) have strict rules on taking food off the ship. On our 2012 cruise this notice appeared in every Patter on port days and was mentioned in the the announcement over the PA at every port:

Agricultural Notice: The U.S. and Canadian Agricultural Departments remind you that heavy fines can be imposed for bringing any fruit, vegetables, flowers, plants, meats or diary products into our ports of call.

On the Disembarkation Sheet (for Whittier) the content was slightly different:

US DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE RESTRICTIONS: It is illegal to take fruits, plants, meats or dairy ashore, on the spot fines will be enforced.

Edited by capriccio

What time do the tours start? Ones we have been on have started around 8 am and we are back on board ship by 1. Plenty of time to have lunch on board. If they start later then just have a good breakfast. Usually tour that are longer then 5 hours will list if they have a snack or other food.

You can take several non agriculturally items from the buffet such as a muffin, boxed cereal. cookies. Just try to be mindful of no meat or cheese or fresh fruit.

When does muffins and cookies become non-agricultural items?

You can only take pre-packaged foods off the ship. I have been to Alaska a ton of times and I have always found a way to eat. Some tours that don't indicate food have crackers, salami and cheese or something similar.

Edited by Coral

I assume most the half day tours would be morning tours - as in starting soon after breakfast, back in time for lunch. Or sometimes afternoons, starting after lunch time.

If you are not sailing for a while, you can always reserve a tour in your planner anyways. Upon acceptance/confirmation of the booking, the tour booking should then show up in the planner with the time allotted for the tour. You should be able to then cancel the booking at no cost if it doesn't suit you (check the excursion cancellation and refund policy first before booking though, as there are varying cancellation conditions depending on type of tour booked!!)

This is all good information to know before we go. I would rather take some pre-packaged food with us than have a grumpy hungry kid (or adult). Maybe four hours is OK for some people, but for my son, I would like him to eat to keep up his energy if we are going to do some hikes and things.

For StevieWonder1- how to do find out about the non-princess excursions? I have seen one where to make it worth the price, I needed to find 3 more people. It was not worth it to pay the same price for 3 people.

I did just find the Blue Bus to Mendenhall Glacier where it costs $60 for 3 people instead of the princess $120 or so for 3 people.

When does muffins and cookies become non-agricultural items?

You can only take pre-packaged foods off the ship. I have been to Alaska a ton of times and I have always found a way to eat. Some tours that don't indicate food have crackers, salami and cheese or something similar.

When Princess says so. I always show what I have and always and YES always been told when disembarking that those items are fine.

When Princess says so. I always show what I have and always and YES always been told when disembarking that those items are fine.

Princess is not the governing agency, it is the Department of Agriculture for the country that you are in.

The two all-day tours that we've been on have included lunch. One time, the guide/driver had picked up pre-made sandwiches at a deli and had them packed in a cooler along with some cans of off brand sodas. I wasn't happy because the condiments, which I can't stand, were on the bread. And I had forgot to pack some factory-sealed snacks. I didn't make that mistake again (I do bring power bars, etc. in my carry one). On the same cruise, we had a partial day snorkeling trip that included a continental breakfast and a nice lunch of burgers, etc. (that you assemble so no worries about sauces, etc. for me). Last cruise, we stopped at a diner and the guide took our lunch orders (we had four choices including an entree salad for non-meat eaters) and it was a fun time as it was the diner featured in the movie "The Descendants."

Princess will indicate with symbols as some have indicated. If you don't see a symbol, you can pack a factory-sealed item for many ports -- some like Australia are very strict, though. But if it's a long enough cruise that hits some towns, you may get a little stop to buy something.

Princess is not the governing agency, it is the Department of Agriculture for the country that you are in.

Who ever asks as you disembark the ship then. I always state what I have and it's always been okay when it's muffins, breads, cookies, croissants and other baked goods. Perhaps the baked is what is allowed. If asked to discard any item I would comply but so far that's not happened.

Who ever asks as you disembark the ship then. I always state what I have and it's always been okay when it's muffins, breads, cookies, croissants and other baked goods. Perhaps the baked is what is allowed. If asked to discard any item I would comply but so far that's not happened.

I have seen in places where local authorities are inspecting bags and they have thrown those items away. Fines can be opposed, not sure if that was done as they were told to step aside.

Edited by Coral

The only port where I've seen any actual inspections happening is at Cabo San Lucas. All throughout the Caribbean, Alaska and Hawaii they sometimes request that you don't carry anything off food but as far as inspections go, it's non existent- no dogs, no signs, no inspectors. (even in the Caribbean it's hardly ever mentioned at most stops)

Mexico has AG Dogs. You don't want the cute Golden to sit next to you.

On John Heald's Facebook page there is a post from a gal who got fined for bringing fruit off the ship. She want Carnival to reimburse her :rolleyes:

The only port where I've seen any actual inspections happening is at Cabo San Lucas. All throughout the Caribbean, Alaska and Hawaii they sometimes request that you don't carry anything off food but as far as inspections go, it's non existent- no dogs, no signs, no inspectors. (even in the Caribbean it's hardly ever mentioned at most stops)

If they tell you (and in Alaska it is a warning, not a request) not to do it then don't - it shouldn't matter whether there are inspectors or not.

My brother was stopped by Princess security in Alaska blatantly carrying a piece of fruit off the ship - he wasn't trying to hide it. Somehow he had 'missed' the notice in the Patter and on the PA system. They told to throw it out or eat it before leaving the area (they watched him eat it).

Edited by capriccio