Diamond lounge -red faced or steamed?

As being Diamond Plus and am able to go to the Conciege Lounge on our last cruise on the Jewel there were many none Diamond persons there each night so we went to the Diamond lounge. There was a group that was there every night, and nothing was said to them. You had to have a card to get into the room, so only one person in their group was Diamond Plus. And yes they do quit serving at 830 no exceptions. The same with using the free drinks on your card. You either use before 830 or you lose. Each ship is different. Hopefully your next experience is better.

Confused. Were the non diamonds in the CL or DL.? CL can be any level if they are staying in a suite.

I happen to work for a large corporation. The company wants their employees to be wonderful in all types of situations with customers, from the easiest to very stressful encounters....unfortunately the company provides truly little training. My background of close to 40 years, has a philosophy of 'if I treat the customer the way I would want to be treated as a customer' all will be fine....and proof is....my customer service surveys are outstanding. My fellow employees that mimic my behavior with customers are doing better....and I love.

Should the bartender, back to the thread, have had a slightly different approach, sure. It wasn't the concierge, that seemed to be the problem....but the concierge, probably has had more 'relationship training' and needs to work on that with the bartenders in the lounge.

But the OP was still wrong in the first place....customers are not always right....but how the employees of a company handles a situation makes a difference.

Not saying OP was right in taking DD. I was referring to the time. If something is open then it is open. A previous post actually made a reference that there are different accounting for drink packages and Diamond lounge, which makes sense and it is an interesting thought process if OP thought that with purchase of drink package, there would be no problem/no protocol at the Diamond lounge. I had never myself thought of it.

Yes customers are many times wrong, but I think you can a let them know in a better way, and in small and large companies it is the front line employees who mostly are tasked with that fun response. Again, a little discretion by employees even to customers that are wrong can go a long way. As your philosophy indicates, treat the customer as you would like to be treated. So.....even when telling the customer 'no', you need to make sure it is done with empathy. AND yes training, then practice and testing helps.

I am a little surprised that many here are strongly right/wrong. I would also bet most if not all have sought favorable treatment even when they were wrong or not due the requested treatment being asked of a companies sales, service, or support personal, but yet they asked and hoped for or even expected to be granted the request.

Does it make the OP's overt action right? No! Nor am I suggesting front line employees be taken advantage of. Some of our best customers have become so after an issue that they created. We were not in slap down mode. We were in customer support mode.

Now the other side: I think by far and away, Royal employees are excellent and take the customer experience personally and try very hard to make each encounter with a passenger enjoyable and in some cases memorable.

Edited by shipshape sam

I still think OP may have been handled a bit rough. Right or wrong, I mean come on, there are degrees to anything. OP wasn't making a drunken scene. Maybe the bartender or concierge was frazzled from an earlier guest and OP caught the tail of it? Like I said early on, we weren't there so can't say for sure.

At least four occasions prior to turning Diamond I have been in either the CL or DL and it had always been with the graces of the Concierge as I have never stayed in a suite. One time I stopped at a DL to let our friends know we were calling an audible on dinner plans and wanted to know if they wanted to join. I told the Concierge my intention to pass the word and be on my way and not only did she invite me in she insisted on calling to our room to personally invite my yet to be wife. So there's always leeway and discretion involved.

I too don't appreciate being dealt with in an abrupt or discourteous manner. Flip side to the coin, if I ordered a drink as the lounge closed I'd be on my way the second that drink was ready to go and not linger. Not saying OP did that. Wasn't there can't say.

But again in terms of right and wrong there's always degrees. A smart concierge would have said I hope you enjoy this setting as a preview for your future cruises but unfortunately due to crowding I can not invite you in this trip. Yadda yadda. I get it. They are human. But they are in the hospitality business and should always have a professional and soft touch. So in my opinion OP can be both wrong AND steamed.

Some of you act like the Captain should have booted them at the first port or security confined them to their room.

Not saying OP was right in taking DD. I was referring to the time. If something is open then it is open. A previous post actually made a reference that there are different accounting for drink packages and Diamond lounge, which makes sense and it is an interesting thought process if OP thought that with purchase of drink package, there would be no problem/no protocol at the Diamond lounge. I had never myself thought of it.

Yes customers are many times wrong, but I think you can a let them know in a better way, and in small and large companies it is the front line employees who mostly are tasked with that fun response. Again, a little discretion by employees even to customers that are wrong can go a long way. As your philosophy indicates, treat the customer as you would like to be treated. So.....even when telling the customer 'no', you need to make sure it is done with empathy. AND yes training, then practice and testing helps.

I am a little surprised that many here are strongly right/wrong. I would also bet most if not all have sought favorable treatment even when they were wrong or not due the requested treatment being asked of a companies sales, service, or support personal, but yet they asked and hoped for or even expected to be granted the request.

Does it make the OP's overt action right? No! Nor am I suggesting front line employees be taken advantage of. Some of our best customers have become so after an issue that they created. We were not in slap down mode. We were in customer support mode.

Now the other side: I think by far and away, Royal employees are excellent and take the customer experience personally and try very hard to make each encounter with a passenger enjoyable and in some cases memorable.

Wish I saw that before I typed my response. I could have just said "ditto"

I think the only thing you could have done to eliminate an obviously unpleasant experience is to talk to the Concierge before happy hour to see about bringing your daughter in

But the OP said (I believe in her very first post) that she never intended to go for happy hour, she just wanted to have quick look around. It was only after being told "oh you're just in time we're about to close" that she decided to have a drink. And IMO? Knowing that it was closing time and that her daughter was not allowed to be there anyway, that's the point at which the appropriate response would have been "oh no, I don't want a beverage, I'm just taking a quick look at the lounge and we'll be on our way."

Knowing that it was closing time and that her daughter was not allowed to be there anyway, that's the point at which the appropriate response would have been "oh no, I don't want a beverage, I'm just taking a quick look at the lounge and we'll be on our way."

I absolutely agree with you. :)

I don't believe the Concierge was rude at all. She was just doing her job.

I'm not picking on you, and I'm not going to read through the whole thread...but I just came off Liberty. The rules clearly state that due to alcohol being served in the Concierge lounge, no person under the age of 18 is allowed in....well, guess what...there was a boy of about 6-7 yrs old in there.

Where was the law-enforcing Concierge??

Also, someone had smoked in my cabin prior to my arrival....where was the room attendant to enforce the no smoking rule???

My point is that rules should be followed...there's also a way to enforce the rules so that no one feels belittled. There's no crime, per se, for a non-D to be in the Diamond lounge...so for the Concierge to belittle the mother and daughter is the wrong way to handle such a situation. It's the Concierge's job to enforce the rules (I guess when they feel like it), it's not their job to be rude and belittling to the very beings that provide their pay cheques.

Edited by ladysail2

That rule changed last year. Children accompanied by a parent are allowed in the concierge lounge during happy hour. That is to accommodate suite guests who are traveling as a family.

But on most ships, children are not allowed in the Diamond lounge during happy hour.

I'm not picking on you, and I'm not going to read through the whole thread...but I just came off Liberty. The rules clearly state that due to alcohol being served in the Concierge lounge, no person under the age of 18 is allowed in....well, guess what...there was a boy of about 6-7 yrs old in there.

Where was the law-enforcing Concierge??

Also, someone had smoked in my cabin prior to my arrival....where was the room attendant to enforce the no smoking rule???

My point is that rules should be followed...there's also a way to enforce the rules so that no one feels belittled. There's no crime, per se, for a non-D to be in the Diamond lounge...so for the Concierge to belittle the mother and daughter is the wrong way to handle such a situation. It's the Concierge's job to enforce the rules (I guess when they feel like it), it's not their job to be rude and belittling to the very beings that provide their pay cheques.

Unless it was said in a nasty way, the concierge was simply stating a fact. Disliking what you're told doesn't make it rude. None of us reading have any way of knowing what the tone of the message was.

I was in a suite on the Oasis during the time when there were three lounges...the Suite Lounge on 17, the Concierge Lounge on 11, and the Diamond Lounge on 4. Since it was my first time on the Oasis, I wanted to explore the whole ship and see the Concierge Lounge. Israel was quick to tell me I was welcome in the lounges on Deck 17 or 4, but this lounge wasn't available to me (I'm Diamond). He was right to do so, and I knew walking in the door that the CL wasn't a place my cabin or my status allowed me to be.

Oh no! The popcorn is all gone!:eek:

What a shame, simple question, looking for some good conversation and feed back and instead I get moral judgements. :confused:

Guess all you moral police will have to jump back up on your high horses and polish your tin badges. But, keep those self satisfied grins on your faces, your next victim will be coming down the road shortly.

>>>>>>>>>>>>whoosh. (And, she's gone)

:)

What a shame, simple question, looking for some good conversation and feed back and instead I get moral judgements. :confused:

You were just looking for good conversation? No, you specifically wanted to know if you should be mad or embarrassed. People have answered and explained why. If the justified response was anger, that would imply that the concierge/bartender was totally in the wrong and you were right. People have simply pointed out that that wasn't the case. You erred in taking your daughter where she wasn't supposed to be, and then compounded that by deciding to stay and have a drink when offered. At that point cards were checked and the staff realized your daughter wasn't eligible to be there. You were in the wrong, so embarrassment, not anger, is the justified response.

If you were spoken to in a rude tone, then certainly it could have been handled better, but it doesn't mean she shouldn't have been asked to leave. And no one here knows what the true tone of voice was or what exact words were used. As someone said, perhaps your embarrassment at "being caught" at that point colored your perception of what was said and how it was said.

If you ask for opinions, don't come back later when you don't like the opinions you get and say you were just looking for good conversation. :rolleyes:

But on most ships, children are not allowed in the Diamond lounge during happy hour.

I started a thread this week about that and more ships allow it than do not. Also, RCI's website does not disallow minors. It only mentions Diamond Members, which someone under 18 certainly can be.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=3833&faqSubjectId=340

Guess all you moral police will have to jump back up on your high horses and polish your tin badges. But, keep those self satisfied grins on your faces, your next victim will be coming down the road shortly.

Oh Artypharty, you and I could party hearty!

It is starting to sound like you are trying to fault the folks here for their responses to your question just as you are trying to fault the staff of the DL for their response to your actions.

I guess you didn't find what you were looking for in either the DL or here.

It seems to me that you just didn't like the feedback here any better than the feedback you got on the ship.

Whether right or wrong, I feel badly for the OP, as it must have been a bit embarrassing. I am D+ and travelled to Australia/NZ last year on the Radiance for 17 days with a friend who is not D+. I knew the rules and discussed it with her in advance. We arranged that I would shower and then go to the CL for a couple of pre dinner drinks and she would use that time to shower and get herself ready for dinner. We always met up at the Schooner Bar before going off to the dining room. She was absolutely fine with me going to the CL and encouraged it. It also gave us each some space. However, I did talk to the concierge the first evening I went into the CL and just let him know that I was travelling with a non D+ friend and I assumed she would not be able to join me there. He very nicely explained that there were too many D+ on that sailing to allow her to come in, which I expected and was fine with. Then one evening the concierge came over to me and said they were having a Karaoke evening in the concierge lounge the next night, the captain would be dropping in, and to bring my friend with me. I asked if she would be able to have a glass of wine too and he said of course. She was pleased to be invited, and she thoroughly enjoyed it. The concierge made a point of coming over and talking to her so she felt welcome. He certainly went above and beyond in my opinion.

Edited by SeaBaby

Whether right or wrong, I feel badly for the OP, as it must have been a bit embarrassing. I am D+ and travelled to Australia/NZ last year on the Radiance for 17 days with a friend who is not D+. I knew the rules and discussed it with her in advance. We arranged that I would shower and then go to the CL for a couple of pre dinner drinks and she would use that time to shower and get herself ready for dinner. We always met up at the Schooner Bar before going off to the dining room. She was absolutely fine with me going to the CL and encouraged it. It also gave us each some space. However, I did talk to the concierge the first evening I went into the CL and just let him know that I was travelling with a non D+ friend and I assumed she would not be able to join me there. He very nicely explained that there were too many D+ on that sailing to allow her to come in, which I expected and was fine with. Then one evening the concierge came over to me and said they were having a Karaoke evening in the concierge lounge the next night, the captain would be dropping in, and to bring my friend with me. I asked if she would be able to have a glass of wine too and he said of course. She was pleased to be invited, and she thoroughly enjoyed it. The concierge made a point of coming over and talking to her so she felt welcome. He certainly went above and beyond in my opinion.

I don't feel badly for the OP, simply because she put herself in the situation that could lead to her own embarrassment....she knew from the get-go what the rules were.

Now, you on the other hand planned nicely and handled it properly and were given a with a very nice gesture from the concierge, in return. Will that always happen, no. But doing the right thing more often than not, pays off in the end.

I was under the impression (and I saw it in print) that if you are

a Diamond member and the person sharing your cabin is not, that they

can come to the D Lounge with you. I know for a fact that a couple

years ago a D friend sharing a cabin with a non D friend, both enjoyed

the D lounge aboard Allure....and there was no sneaking

No. I would like to see where you saw in print.

There have been reports that some concierges have allowed at their discretion, but it does not automatically extend to guests you travel with.

This is from official website.

7 Diamond Lounge is an exclusive benefit for only Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members and cannot be extended to include friends and family. Complimentary specialty coffees are only available in the dining room on days when breakfast is being served. On ships where a Diamond Lounge is available there will be no Nightly Special Diamond Event or complimentary Specialty coffees available in the dining room. Open to guests 18 years of age and older. We respectfully request that guests observe a Smart Casual dress code when visiting the Lounge (no swim or pool attire is allowed, footwear is required at all times).

Edited by Spurschick

Other cruise lines extend benefits to cabinmates, Princess for example, but Royal Caribbean does not. Do you have a link to the information you saw? That information would be very helpful for my Mother who cruises with friends that aren't diamond.

I don't feel badly for the OP, simply because she put herself in the situation that could lead to her own embarrassment....she knew from the get-go what the rules were.

Now, you on the other hand planned nicely and handled it properly and were given a with a very nice gesture from the concierge, in return. Will that always happen, no. But doing the right thing more often than not, pays off in the end.

Yes I think it's all about expectations. If you don't expect it, then you won't be disappointed or 'steamed'.

Of course I do not remember where I saw it. It was a few years ago,

so maybe they've changed their rules. Extending D Lounge privileges

to cabin mate is very different than extending to family and friends, indicating

many others traveling in a group.

Maybe it was Celebrity as we do cruise more on Celebrity than RC.