Embarrassed by 'Brochure' Fares?

Oak Hill Cruisers

We've been considering taking a big step up from Celebrity to Oceana & Regent Seven Seas. One thing we find infuriating is the so-called 'Brochure' fares as compared to the 'Promotional' fares.

Has anyone, anyone, ever paid the brochure fare - ever? Viking River Cruises does the same thing.

Do frequent Oceana PAX feel just a little embarrassed that Oceana has the temerity to even publish such outlandish fares in the first place? Are they published to make one feel better about paying for all-inclusive luxury cruising?

Just asking.....

Check your local food, clothing and furniture stores. They all show special pricing that items never really sold for.

I have been told that since the beginning of time no one has ever paid full price for furniture or mattresses. (well maybe once or twice):D

We all check the Sunday papers for the advertisement fillers to see what will tempt us with their "sale" prices.

I agree it seems silly but as other have said we just ignore it.

It is "silly" (for lack of better word) - much like their "free air" which is not free but included.

However, apparently it does work attracting new customers - 2for1 sounds very good and hard to resist :). They would abandon this strategy if it worked against them.

It is what it is - caveat emptor.

Edited by Paulchili

Thanks for your replies.

It just seems that such a ludicrous marketing 'strategery' makes one wonder if Oceana takes potential PAX for fools, especially for such a quality product.

Just think of MSRP for a car. No one pays that. In fact I don't know anyone who even pays as much the wholesale (dealer) cost. We just wait until we find good mfgr. rebates to car dealers (use checkbook.org for regular rebate listings) and then make a "below wholesale" offer that nets dealer a few hundred bucks.

Likewise, O cruise "brochure" fare is MSRP, "promotion fare" is version of "wholesale price" and best price is "below wholesale" combining O and TA perks/OBC/special sales (O preferred TAs), etc.

Just go with what we regulars say and ignore it! Don't get bent out of shape.

But for people who want to use the "free" air fare, THAT can be worth it. (We tend not to but we have on occasion. We prefer the credit and then book our own. But in some destinations it's worth a deviation fee.)

Mura

The difference between a car sticker price and cruise line brochure fares is that you get a discount of the car sticker price. Cruise simply double what they want to get for a cruise, then tell you you are getting half off. And they keep doing it because there are enough suckers who fall of it.

I do not even look at it as it really is a joke. Also the free air is not free because you get a credit if you do not use it. Also keep away from their shore trips, transfers and pre and post hotels as they are 2 & 3 times the going rate.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Just talk to a travel agent who understands Oceania and you will be fine. Oceania has a terrific product. I agree their pricing is not straightforward but it does not offend me.

I find their excursion prices laughable but we rarely take ship tours on any cruise line. We always book our own pre and post hotels, transfers and tours.

Edited by sammiedawg

It would be nice if they stopped the 2 for 1 marketing ploy & just priced cruises at the promotional rate they use now

Also just say airfare included optional

Other items included eg specialties, sodas, bottled water things other cruise lines charge for

Will it happen probably not :(

JMO

Just think of MSRP for a car. No one pays that. In fact I don't know anyone who even pays as much the wholesale (dealer) cost. We just wait until we find good mfgr. rebates to car dealers (use checkbook.org for regular rebate listings) and then make a "below wholesale" offer that nets dealer a few hundred bucks.

Likewise, O cruise "brochure" fare is MSRP, "promotion fare" is version of "wholesale price" and best price is "below wholesale" combining O and TA perks/OBC/special sales (O preferred TAs), etc.

Off topic but actually some cars, high demand, low production, sell for MSRP or above. Not many but a few do. I remember the Chrysler PT Cruiser when it first came out being one, then they flooded the market and you could buy one for peanuts.

We actually bought a Mercedes a few years ago that had a 6 month to a year waiting list to buy one, and yes we paid MSRP. I actually saw the guy that bought it from us 9 years ago at the gas station today, he still loves it and at 16 years old it's still going strong and looks great. As I said, off topic, carry on.

Edited by ORV

It's all in how you look at it. In earlier days, it actually was "2 for 1". The price per person was exactly half of the brochure price, so the price per cabin actually was the brochure price! Two people are getting one cabin (in the case of solo guests, it's "1 for 1", as the single supplement is 200%, but they still pay brochure price for the cabin).

Nowadays it's still 2 for 1, but with added incentives such as "early booking" and other offers often available. Note that Oceania never actually discounts the fare -- they just offer incentives.

Just go with what we regulars say and ignore it! Don't get bent out of shape.

But for people who want to use the "free" air fare, THAT can be worth it. (We tend not to but we have on occasion. We prefer the credit and then book our own. But in some destinations it's worth a deviation fee.)

Mura

We just saved about $500 by not using the "free air" since we wanted to stay 3-days before and 3-days after the cruise in Istanbul & Athens. So when you added up Oceania's "give-back" for the so-called free air and their "deviation" costs for flying out 3-days early I was able to book this myself with acceptable flight-plans over and back for $500 less. But you're right, in some cases it may be better to use the "free air."

Flatbush Flyer,

Good analogy.

Continuing the automobile analogy, one way a car dealer muddies up the water is with a trade-in. The trade-in value can never be 100 percent predictable, since it is dependent on relative condition. And further, it is surprising how many people treat the trade-in allowance like a discount.

Now think about a perk such as UBP. We know how much it is "worth" if it is purchased, but what it is really worth to each person is relative based on drinking habits. Muddies the waters.

Tom

The difference between a car sticker price and cruise line brochure fares is that you get a discount of the car sticker price. Cruise simply double what they want to get for a cruise, then tell you you are getting half off. And they keep doing it because there are enough suckers who fall of it.

So true. We had friends who awhile ago proudly informed us that they had booked a cruise on Viking. The brochure showed if they booked within the next 3 days they would get 2 for 1 fares. The TA they used backed this up. They booked and were amazed months later when I showed them a brochure for their cruise with the same 2-1 fares.

Only when explaining that we saved as much as we spent...therefore the net result is a free cruise

Love the logic:D

My late FIL had a great way of making money

He would walk into a store with $20 to buy something.

He would walk out without purchasing anything therefore he had saved the $20 he did not spend and had $20 in his pocket

According to him he accumulated $40 from this non-transaction:D

(its OK, I get it!)

Love the logic:D

My late FIL had a great way of making money

He would walk into a store with $20 to buy something.

He would walk out without purchasing anything therefore he had saved the $20 he did not spend and had $20 in his pocket

According to him he accumulated $40 from this non-transaction:D

(its OK, I get it!)

Love that story !!