No luggage fee's from Europe?

jsf

We are flying back to US after an upcoming T/A and I thought I saw on Delta's website no luggage fee's on the way home. Did I read that right? I guess I'l tag one of my carryon's so I don't have to lug it around.

J.

We are flying back to US after an upcoming T/A and I thought I saw on Delta's website no luggage fee's on the way home. Did I read that right? I guess I'l tag one of my carryon's so I don't have to lug it around.

J.

Most airlines give you one 50 lb bag for free. The second bag will cost you $100, at least on United.

Check what airline you are flying for their carry on baggage policy. Most differ from size to weight.

Delta Website:

For all other international flights

You may check up to two bags that meet our size & weight restrictions at no extra charge when traveling within regions not listed above.

NOTE: Weight restrictions at no extra charge vary by cabin. Main Cabin passengers should follow the standard 50 lb limit per piece. Delta One, First, and Business passengers should follow the 70 lb limit per piece.

Seems you are correct in your assessment.] RE: Delta.

Wine-O is correct on United's policy which differs from Delta.

Edited by cle-guy

Delta Website:

You may check up to two bags that meet our size & weight restrictions at no extra charge when traveling within regions not listed above.

NOTE: Weight restrictions at no extra charge vary by cabin. Main Cabin passengers should follow the standard 50 lb limit per piece. Delta One, First, and Business passengers should follow the 70 lb limit per piece.

Here's a link to Delta's baggage policy/fees - Between the U.S. and Europe, you get one free and the second piece is $100. That's coach, not business or first class.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/checked.html?icid=Policy_Ck_Baggage_Ongoing#guidelines

Edited by Wine-O

Be sure to verify it, but in most cases, one carry on and one checked bag are permitted on international flights. The fees for a second bag are steep and the carry on sizes may be smaller than domestic.

Do be aware that there can be a drastic difference between luggage allowance on "international" flights. Bag fees are common to Canada, Mexico, Caribbean and Central America, but rare to Europe, Asia, Australia, etc.

Don't just rely on international being all-encompassing. Definitely check each individual country or route that impacts you.

Beware of codeshare agreements - the plane might not be an actual Delta machine, thus the baggage allowances of the other airline may apply.

You can normally find the baggage allowance on your ticket, e-ticket or confirmation. If in doubt, you could always call the airline.

Some airlines do not charge for luggage for T/A's. Others (IcelandAir) will only allow one carryon, which is why I stuff my medicine kit in my bigger carryon.

I am not sure who gave you this info, but that's not correct. Icelandair allows you the standard 1 piece allowance for TATL flights. Even on European routes you can have 1 piece of luggage.

During summer, my company handles flights for Icelandair and unless things have changed in the last 2 weeks, this info is incorrect.

Also their website does not say you can only take a carry on:

http://www.icelandair.us/information/baggage-information/checked-baggage/

If your trip involved 2 airlines and they made you pay for your bag, you should really ask them about the MSC (most significant carrier)

Let's say you have a flight with Frontier (assuming you need to pay for your bag on them) connecting to a flight with Icelandair; It is possible Frontier will charge you, even though you have a ticket bought on/through Icelandair. If your connecting flight is with Icelandair (and you have bought the ticket as 1; so no seperate tickets) from the US to Iceland (and possible connecting onto Europe), normally Icelandair's bag restrictions apply since they are the MSC.

I do not know the MSC rules for flights leaving the US, but sometimes they're pretty confusing. Take a look on IATA's website and it is briefly explained. I can't link you the correct website as I can't access it at this time.

If you were refering to the number of handbags, MSC allows you 1 regular carry on and 1 personal item such as most of the major airlines. But beware, the size might be different as European airlines tend to have much smaller handbags onboard compared to Nort American airlines.

Edited by headhunterke

Just returned from a DL flight to Asia....one free 50lb bag..that everyone (coach or Econ Comfort) gets (sad I had to pay $100.00 for my second bag even though I'm a DL AMEX card holder) hate this policy :eek:

Delta Website:

Wrong about your DL info: That "other international flights" is for routing that is not listed above. Between the US and Europe (either direction) is there as on free 50lb bag and 85EU (it is charged in the currency of your departure location) for the second one. If you were flying US to Europe, that second bag would be $100US.

I booked an award ticket in economy through United (flying Thai, Air Canada & United) and my confirmation clearly says that I get two checked bags for $0. I'm traveling from Asia to the US.

Edit: Just checked the fine print, and it says, "The above amounts represent an estimate of the first and second checked baggage service charges that may apply to your itinerary." So, I guess I don't really know what I'm going to get. Would it make a difference that I'm a MileagePlus Explorer card holder?

Edited by ewizabeff

I booked an award ticket in economy through United (flying Thai, Air Canada & United) and my confirmation clearly says that I get two checked bags for $0. I'm traveling from Asia to the US.

Edit: Just checked the fine print, and it says, "The above amounts represent an estimate of the first and second checked baggage service charges that may apply to your itinerary." So, I guess I don't really know what I'm going to get. Would it make a difference that I'm a MileagePlus Explorer card holder?

You get two free checked bags on United for your trip, up to 62.0 linear inches (157cm) L + W + H and 50.0 lbs (23 kg) per bag

For domestic travel, you must buy your tickets (or pay award ticket fees) with your UA Chase card to get the one free checked bag benefit.

I have an award ticket booked US-Europe in economy. On the outbound, it states I get two free bags, but on the return I get only one free bag; the second cost $100. Under your reservation, in blue, you can click on united.com/baggage, go there and check on "checked baggage service charges", and it will pull up your itinerary and show you the baggage allowance.

When I do this, it shows me this message, which explains why I get only one free checked bag on the return:

In compliance with U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, checked baggage policies for your entire itinerary are determined by Deutsche Lufthansa AG.

So, the airlines on which you are flying determine your baggage allowance. Using an Explorer Card only gets you one free bag, which you already get.

Edited by 6rugrats

To Headhuntke...

Some airlines do not charge for luggage for T/A's. Others (IcelandAir) will only allow one carryon, which is why I stuff my medicine kit in my bigger carryon

After I re-read my post, I realized that I had neglected to say that you are also allowed to bring a checked bag.

Thank you for pointing out my error.

Steve