Craziest thing you admit to OR actually heard someone complaining about on a cruise?

snorkelman

News flash: the world is bigger than your neighborhood, and not everybody shares your experiences and concepts. If you haven't noticed, the people serving you in the restaurant on board ship are not from your neighborhood. Is it that difficult to specify what you mean when you order coffee?

If it's a ship catering to a North American clientele the crew should be trained to understand what coffee is.

LOL Then you just confirmed the lady wasn't out of line to order black coffee and complain when she had cream in it. So we agree :)

I never said she was out of line. The server should have the proper training to k ow what coffee is.

Even on US-based ships, it would be nice of you to specify if you want regular black or expresso black with/no water (americano is expresso shot(s) with more water added to it). Has more to do with the different varieties of coffee drinks now.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

What ship offers all of that in the MDR or buffet at breakfast?

This was my favourite thread until it was hijacked and became all about coffee!!! And I HATE COFFEE. I don't discriminate either I hate all coffee and anything remotely coffee flavoured. Now getting back to what the thread is about lets hear some good stories.

What ship offers all of that in the MDR or buffet at breakfast?

I didn't them have for breakfast - I had expresso shots on Carnival and NCL for dinner dessert time, cost like $4.95 or $6 (forgot the prices) for 2 but it was worth it (I needed to stay awake for shows and the regular coffee was just not keeping me up :o)

This was my favourite thread until it was hijacked and became all about coffee!!! And I HATE COFFEE. I don't discriminate either I hate all coffee and anything remotely coffee flavoured. Now getting back to what the thread is about lets hear some good stories.

I totally agree, I hate coffee and think it's a loathsome drink. However, I do like Kahlua. :)

How do you like your tea?

Hot! Made with water that is just off the boil so that the tea draws properly. Not made from water delivered in a teapot with a teabag served separately as by the time the teabag is put in the water it is no longer hot enough.

On our Princess cruise I did get several good pots of tea but it depended on the waiter at breakfast. On Rhapsody I never got a good cup of tea. Even the serve yourself tea stations only had a maximum temperature of 165F for their hot water.

Crema is simply some foam that is created during the process of making espresso and has nothing to do with anything dairy.

The crema foam comes from the natural oils in the coffee beans.

Of course, in keeping with the Italian tradition we only use Italian beans (Lavazza).

You would be better to find a good local roaster for your coffee beans, or buy a local blend from a store that has a high turnover. By the time the Lavazza is shipped to the US and sold it is already starting to go stale. I gave up using imported coffee beans years ago, once good blends becamme easily available in Australia.

I am guessing you probably adored the tea culture if you visited these isles then. You cannot move for specialty loose tea suppliers and tearooms over here.I am more a tea drinker too and love my tea from a teapot, in a soft water area with sugar. Unfortunately my new home is in a hard water city so I make do. Not too fussy on teabag or not as long as its Yorkshire/Betty's quality and up.

Apart from one place, we had really good tea in the UK on our seven week trip. The one place where the tea wasn't to my liking was in Yorkshire and, yes, it was the famous Yorkshire Tea. It tasted really weird. :(

If it's a ship catering to a North American clientele the crew should be trained to understand what coffee is.

And when they relocate to the Australian region for our season they should be trained to understand how to make a proper espresso. In other words what coffee is in Australian terms.

Really really bored now.

Is the orange juice fresh and if so, is it squeezed by the server using his left hand or his right hand? This is truly important to me as I won't be able to rest until I have an answer :D:D:D:D

Really really bored now.

Is the orange juice fresh and if so, is it squeezed by the server using his left hand or his right hand? This is truly important to me as I won't be able to rest until I have an answer :D:D:D:D

It depends which way up the orange is...

Really really bored now.

Neither! The oranges are dropped into a machine which slices them in half, then each half is squeezedby the machine.

Hopefully this will allow you to rest peacefully. :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Hot! Made with water that is just off the boil so that the tea draws properly. Not made from water delivered in a teapot with a teabag served separately as by the time the teabag is put in the water it is no longer hot enough.

On our Princess cruise I did get several good pots of tea but it depended on the waiter at breakfast. On Rhapsody I never got a good cup of tea. Even the serve yourself tea stations only had a maximum temperature of 165F for their hot water.

I like my tea in the pot from loose leaf and then strained into the cup. And agree, the tea and water need to meet just before the boil. :)

Apart from one place, we had really good tea in the UK on our seven week trip. The one place where the tea wasn't to my liking was in Yorkshire and, yes, it was the famous Yorkshire Tea. It tasted really weird. :(

It might have been the water. Water can greatly affect coffee and tea.

Neither! The oranges are dropped into a machine which slices them in half, then each half is squeezedby the machine.

Hopefully this will allow you to rest peacefully. :D

No Bueno. Doing it that way realizes too much of the bitterness in the rind into the juice. Hand squeezed, please.

No Bueno. Doing it that way realizes too much of the bitterness in the rind into the juice. Hand squeezed, please.

Don't cruise on RCI then. That's what they use.

Actually there are some machines that do seem to produce a decent juice without bitterness from the rind. I don't usually drink juice but I did have a taste of DH's on Rhapsody and it was quite good. I'm quite sensitive to that bitterness from the rind and I didn't notice it in that juice.

It might have been the water. Water can greatly affect coffee and tea.

Could have been. We were staying in a B&B in Settle, not sure what the water is like there. I don't recall it being excessively hard or soft when showering though.

I like my tea in the pot from loose leaf and then strained into the cup. And agree, the tea and water need to meet just before the boil. :)

I have an unusual brewing technique for my tea at home. Because I have silent reflux I'm very sensitve to the tannins in tea so had to stop brewing my tea from loose leaf. I use Dilmah Ceylon Supreme tea which has fresh bright notes on the palate but which can be quite high in tannin if left to steep. I pour freshly boiled water over a teabag and dunk it about 15-16 times then remove it. This gives me the brightness of flavour, and the caffeine, without too much tannin - and I do notice if I have dunked it for too long.