Craziest thing you admit to OR actually heard someone complaining about on a cruise?

snorkelman

I kid you not.

At a recent Q&A session with the Captain and 2 other senior officers, a lady stood up and asked the captain how he remembers port from starboard. The Captain gave the standard answer of "port" and "left" both having 4 letters.

The lady stood there with the microphone in stunned silence for a moment, then with a bit of attitude said (insert southern accent) "well, that doesn't make sense. "Right" has 4 letters to." She then spelled it out loud "R-I-T-E."

Of course, about 100 other audience members corrected her while the senior staff whose English is a second language just looked at one another.

But it didn't end there. I was told she complained to Guest Services that the Captain allowed all the other guests to be rude to her. :roll eyes:

Again, I kid you not.

Edited by Aquahound

The lady stood there with the microphone in stunned silence for a moment, then with a bit of attitude said (insert southern accent) "well, that doesn't make sense. "Right" has 4 letters to." She then spelled it out loud "R-I-T-E."

I guess she didn't realize she was R-O-N-G

I kid you not.

At a recent Q&A session with the Captain and 2 other senior officers, a lady stood up and asked the captain how he remembers port from starboard. The Captain gave the standard answer of "port" and "left" both having 4 letters.

Of course, about 100 other audience members corrected her while the senior staff whose English is a second language just looked at one another.

But it didn't end there. I was told she complained to Guest Services that the Captain allowed all the other guests to be rude to her. :roll eyes:

Again, I kid you not.

Ugg, I hate it when people think they are right, as in correct, when actually they are wrong for rite as in a ritual, instead of right for the 'starboard side" or opposite of left......That's just embarrassing.......

A colleague of mine already took his fair share of cruises. He just returned from a cruise with Princess and he met a couple that were actually complaining about the lack of windows in their inside cabin...

So imagine they DID put windows in a inside cabin facing the hallway. NOW think about if they forget to close their curtains. Ya, now you need something to poke your eyes out, don't you LOL.

Ok, but don't you just hate it when you get all wet in the water? I would make a formal complaint just to make sure everyone is aware of these unhumane conditions when snorkeling. Lol, at times you really wonder if these people are serious.

Intelligence is a bell curve. Some people have to be on the far left of the bell curve.

DON

This didn't happen on a cruise, but on a cruise message board. There was this thread about complaints that was really funny, and a bunch of posters went off on a tangent about the merits of coffee vs espresso vs cafe Americano and cream vs crema... :eek: ;) :D

With side comments about tea from those who don't live and die for coffee.

My two favourites both come from frequent cruisers:

1. "If I had known where this ship was going I never would have booked this cruise"

2. On one ship several years ago, someone had an accident in the Spa swimming pool. We had to close and drain the pool, super-sanitize, and re-fill it on a sea day. One of our senior cruisers burst in to my office, screaming at me about closing the pool. I apologized and explained that someone had an episode of diarrhea in the pool and it had to be closed for health reasons. She replied that we had no authority to decide if she should be allowed to swim in a pool with human excrement in it. That decision should have been hers to make.

For one of the first times in my career, I had no answer for her.

My two favourites both come from frequent cruisers:

1. "If I had known where this ship was going I never would have booked this cruise"

2. On one ship several years ago, someone had an accident in the Spa swimming pool. We had to close and drain the pool, super-sanitize, and re-fill it on a sea day. One of our senior cruisers burst in to my office, screaming at me about closing the pool. I apologized and explained that someone had an episode of diarrhea in the pool and it had to be closed for health reasons. She replied that we had no authority to decide if she should be allowed to swim in a pool with human excrement in it. That decision should have been hers to make.

One would think feces in the pool will deterred someone from swimming knowing - guess not.......:eek:

I can understand a hurricane / bad weather changing a itinerary completely but how can one book a trip and not know where's it going after the fact from the dailies on the ship and boarding passes from the website? I'm wondering that rhetorical question...:confused:

I work in the airline industry, so I've heard my fair deal of stupid things, but I think yours just topped about every single one :eek:

If I would have heard that woman complaining, I would have been happy to give her a toothbrush, a bucket and a list of all the public toilets. If she likes to swim between feces, she might as well help the crew clean these toilets. Just curious, how did that conversation end?

We had just boarded and were milling around enjoying the ship waiting to go to our cabins when a man who had priority boarding for whatever reason was at guest services screaming at the poor girl that he had booked an oceanview cabin and he got a port view....you can't make this stuff up! Somebody finally calmed him down when they promised him they would take care of it as soon as we set sail.....some people....seriously!

We had just boarded and were milling around enjoying the ship waiting to go to our cabins when a man who had priority boarding for whatever reason was at guest services screaming at the poor girl that he had booked an oceanview cabin and he got a port view....you can't make this stuff up! Somebody finally calmed him down when they promised him they would take care of it as soon as we set sail.....some people....seriously!

Wet my pants laughing at his one!!!!!

I was sitting at a table with my food from the buffet, another table next to me was cleaned up and then a man comes over with his tray and complains how can he eat at a wet table. And looks at me and says the same thing, I just looked away. The lady who dried his table i just looked at and rolled my eyes. She smiled

If I'm a cruise ship and I order black coffee, I expect it to be black coffee. Off the ship is a whole different issue but this lady was on the ship so I'm with her. Black is black and I have never had to specify otherwise when I order my coffee.

To me, a 'black' coffee is coffee without milk or cream (that's *cream*, not crema).

A proper, authentic black coffee, made with fresh-ground beans will *always* have a crema layer on top. As has been patiently explained by others, this is in no way a dairy product and is a by-product of the roasting/grinding process. How anybody can claim that a coffee with no dairy product, but a crema layer is not a black coffee is utterly beyond me.

*EDIT* I posted this whilst still on page 8. I had no idea how contentious "Coffee Gate" would become. Apologies for resurrecting the topic!

Edited by wobblybob74

Don't cruise on RCI then. That's what they use.

Actually there are some machines that do seem to produce a decent juice without bitterness from the rind. I don't usually drink juice but I did have a taste of DH's on Rhapsody and it was quite good. I'm quite sensitive to that bitterness from the rind and I didn't notice it in that juice.

I cruised them once--that was a week of my life I'll never get back.

To me, a 'black' coffee is coffee without milk or cream (that's *cream*, not crema).

A proper, authentic black coffee, made with fresh-ground beans will *always* have a crema layer on top. As has been patiently explained by others, this is in no way a dairy product and is a by-product of the roasting/grinding process. How anybody can claim that a coffee with no dairy product, but a crema layer is not a black coffee is utterly beyond me.

*EDIT* I posted this whilst still on page 8. I had no idea how contentious "Coffee Gate" would become. Apologies for resurrecting the topic!

But, do you realize that the world revolves around "Amuricans" and the world should know what when someone wants "black coffee" they want watered-down coffee product made from low-grade Robusto beans? ;) I love to watch the tourists in Rome order a "coffee" and gag when they get a proper cup of true coffee…

Back on actual topic: On a short repo Pacific Coastal, overheard a passenger ask if she would be OK on shore because she didn't know to speak Canadian...

Many years ago I went on an Eastern Caribe on Princess with a friend/co worker who was old enough to be my Mother. People frequently thought that was the case and some people found it strange that I was such good friends with someone who had grown kids older than myself. We had traditional dining and actually think this was the only option "back then" (mid '90's). First night out we meet our tablemates which included a gay couple and their mutual friend who was sharing their cabin and a VERY pretentious well to do bonafide Mother and daughter from South Fla somewhere. Suffice to say being open about ones gayness was not what it is today and the Fla women had trouble with that arrangement. My friend and I were in the medical field and were quite accustomed to co workers who were in same sex partnerships. A couple nights later as we gathered for dinner the issue became who would be the lucky one that got stuck sitting next to Mamma Big Bucks! We had become friends with "the boys" and enjoyed drinks before dubbed and discussing this other duo. The next day my friend and I were going on a snorkel excursion and I brought a zip lock Baggie to dinner to put left over bread in to use for fish food. Now anyone who has ever cruised before knows there is food available 24/7 and hoarding leftovers in a cabin is not necessary but this pretentious woman had the audacity to ask me if this bread stash was for my breakfast in the morning! Having had a few drinks already plus drawing the short straw that nite and being stuck sitting next to her I responded HELL NO ITS FISH FOOD FOR OUR SNORKEL TRIP! She then went on to tirade about the dangers of being in the sun etc. Both of these women looked like porcelain dolls despite living in S Fla. they despised the heat and I never quite understood why they continued to live where they did plus go on an island cruise!

I don't know if he was on our ship or not, but at a sea turtle/snorkle excursion a gentleman (and I use that term loosely) decided that since he paid to swim with turtles he should be allowed to grab onto and try to ride the turtles in the water. Our tour guide, a few locals, and his tour guide went after him and practically wrestled him back in the boat, their tour ended early after that.

I didn't hear too much complaining on the ship itself, other than a few grumbles at the security station when getting on/off.