No more bills under the door?

ailetoile

I wrote up a full review about my recent cruise on the Silhouette in another thread, but I wanted this to be a top-level question. In the past, we have always been given a paper bill of our onboard account activity on the final evening. That was not the case this time. Did Celebrity do away with a summary of purchases made on board? And if so, does anyone know why? :confused:

Your bill can now be accessed on the tv in your room. There's an account section on the main menu.

We did try that, but the TV told us that it was not available later in the day on the final day of our cruise. I suppose we should have checked earlier.

It's not a huge deal, just something of a surprise based on my past experiences! :cool:

The past several cruises we haven't received a final hardcopy of our statement (placed under our door overnight on disembarkation day). We do frequently check our statement using the interactive TV feature so that if we do have any questions or find any discrepancies we can deal with the issue immediately. We also check our account on the TV late the final evening, and try to remember to take a screen shot on an i-phone.

We had one Sunday am when we were leaving the Navigator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Sorry. I get confused using this phone. I thought I was still on the Royal Caribbean thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Still got the statement under the door on the last night earlier this month on the Constellation. No, I don't think Celebrity has discontinued this practice. It was even mentioned in the Celebrity Today that we received the second to last night of the cruise. Room attendants are sometimes "lax" in the delivery of these statements.

Still got the statement under the door on the last night earlier this month on the Constellation. No, I don't think Celebrity has discontinued this practice. It was even mentioned in the Celebrity Today that we received the second to last night of the cruise. Room attendants are sometimes "lax" in the delivery of these statements.

Interesting. We had a number of other problems with our room attendant (mostly small, but they added up). I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is what actually happened.

We didn't get one on the Infinity in February. No problem having one printed at guest services, however. I like to have one to bring home to resolve my credit card bill when it comes. Seems to be varying ship to ship.

If anyone has a problem with their final on board account after returning home, you can call Celebrity, (or your travel agent) and request a copy of your final statement. Just in case you need to check it out to be sure the amount is correct.

Thank you for this tidbit. I actually didn't know that. :o

If anyone has a problem with their final on board account after returning home, you can call Celebrity, (or your travel agent) and request a copy of your final statement. Just in case you need to check it out to be sure the amount is correct.

I take a picture of the final bill on the TV with my iPhone. If there is a discrepancy with the amount charged to my CC I will call them but it hasn't happened yet. I just don't need all that paper lol We monitor it closely on the TV during the cruise so there are no surprises.

We received no bill on the Millennium two weeks ago, we depended on the TV account feature. Of course, as others have said, you can get it from the guest services desk.

Mike

I'm pretty sure that whether or not you receive it depends on your steward.

On Reflection, we got one, not the other. One week, our lead room steward was confined to quarters due to illness (non-contagous but they wouldn't let him into public spaces) and the inexperienced Asst was acting as lead. There were a number of things off - including the lack of final bill.

The second week we got it, but noticed it had been printed about 2 Pm. So, I'm not certain it is worth it.

If you want one and don't receive it, you can just call Guest Relations to request one and they will send it up to you.

I like to have that final hard copy no matter what the TV screen shows.

Oh, and if you don't find it shoved under the door, check the mail slot outside the door because we have sometimes found it there.

Edited by varoo

Ours was in our room on the night before our final night last month on the Constellation. Came with the customs form and disembarkation info. So, it didn't reflect anything we charged the second-to-last night or on the last day at sea. Kind of useless for reconciliation purposes post-cruise, so I don't know why they bother. Now the $2 question: wouldn't it be nice if you could download a statement from your online account? Don't laugh too hard! :D

Ours was in our room on the night before our final night last month on the Constellation. Came with the customs form and disembarkation info. So, it didn't reflect anything we charged the second-to-last night or on the last day at sea. Kind of useless for reconciliation purposes post-cruise, so I don't know why they bother. Now the $2 question: wouldn't it be nice if you could download a statement from your online account? Don't laugh too hard! :D

I can't stop laughing. Darn you! :D

Ours was in our room on the night before our final night last month on the Constellation. Came with the customs form and disembarkation info. So, it didn't reflect anything we charged the second-to-last night or on the last day at sea. Kind of useless for reconciliation purposes post-cruise, so I don't know why they bother.
We sometimes receive a mid-cruise or pre-final printout as well.

I think the reason they do that is because they want people to look them over and get any errors corrected early so they don't end up with a long line of passengers on the last day contesting charges from earlier in the cruise.

Some passengers don't bother checking their accounts on the TV screens at all, while others check them every day, or even more than once a day.

We did not receive a final paper bill on our latest cruise but one. When I contacted Celebrity post-cruise, I was informed that they had not been stopped and we did, indeed, receive one on our latest cruise. My guess is that they sometimes go astray.

When I was on the Reflection 2013 westbound transatlantic, I had some issues with the beverage package pre-printed designation wearing off. Because of this, I was sometimes being presented with a paper bill to sign, which would be explained to the server/bartender that I did have a package. They would reverse the charges. At the time, I didn't know you could have a new (replacement) card printed. Even a paper sticker over the worn out printing would have been helpful. You live and learn. So, during that trip, I would get into the habit of looking at the television screen each night before bed. I'd give a cursory look to see that any new charges looked correct. However, if an entry doesn't look right or doesn't make sense, I will follow up the following day. I sometimes attempt to do this on the phone so I don't have to stand in line at Guest Services. Most of the issues can be explained or resolved to my satisfaction.

Since we live in an electronic age where information is available almost immediately, we use quicken to check our credit card, bank and security transactions every day(one step with Quicken)...that's at home or when travelling. In parallel with that "download", we retrieve our mail to read offline(outlook). In total, this is less than three or four minutes per day, even from the ship. That includes any outgoing emails/pictures we've taken which are sent automatically when we retrieve new mail. Similarly, we check our on-board bill daily on the TV which takes less than a minute or two. We also have all of our credit card numbers and telephone numbers for each written down and kept where they would be accessible, if needed (you would be shocked if you knew how many don't even do this simple task).

Seems to me this is just prudent caution. Ok, we do get free minutes since we're elite+, but we do this even when we have to pay for the minutes.

We've found very few errors on our celebrity bill....most easily corrected...I say most because it took three days and two meetings to get our Qsine bill correct...someone kept reversing a discount that was being offered. We do ask that the room cooler be emptied and have never had a problem with that request....so that cuts down on the late Mini Bar extra charges.

Finally, we always leave with a printed copy of our "final" bill, knowing that "final" isn't always final in the eyes of hotels and cruise lines.

I recommend that others adopt the same approach to financial accuracy and security.

Edited by ghstudio

On the Reflection in February and the Silhouette this month we received no statement. As we regularly track our expenses on the TV, this was not a big problem. Still, I like to see something in writing before disembarking. Wouldn't you know, when I got a hard copy late on our last night on the Silhouette, there was a small but incorrect charge made.

News Release from Celebrity.

"Celebrity Cruise Lines announced today that that their award winning IT department has developed the cruise industry's first App that allows cruisers to download their online account statements directly to any Android or Apple mobile device......"

I guess your wish was X's command.:)

APRIL FOOLS;)