Civitavecchia to rome train trip

ian moore

We are going on a Princess Med. Cruise in June and are calling into Civitavecchia for a day. The Princess tours to Rome are expensive (even the 'do it on your own',which we generally prefer having been to Rome many times).

We see that it is quite easy to get a train at the station near the port all the way to Rome.

Has anyone done this train trip? Is it reliable,as we would be concerned if there were delays etc.

There will be another cruise ship in the port on our day so it could be crowded etc.

All advice welcomed.

Ian Moore

Did the train in 2011 not to tour Rome but to board the ship for the cruise. There are lots of commuter trains on this route to Rome and back. 60 to 75 minutes each way I think. It is a little bit of a walk from the port gates to the train station but not bad. We were dragging our suitcases as well. there are busses inside the port.

After the cruise we did the train back to Rome, got an all day pass for the underground (cant recall what it is called) and visited many of the highlites of Rome (had been there before previously years ago) and then got the train to Fiumicino that night for our flight home in the morning. Slept well that night!

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

We are going on a Princess Med. Cruise in June and are calling into Civitavecchia for a day. The Princess tours to Rome are expensive (even the 'do it on your own',which we generally prefer having been to Rome many times).

We see that it is quite easy to get a train at the station near the port all the way to Rome.

Has anyone done this train trip? Is it reliable,as we would be concerned if there were delays etc.

There will be another cruise ship in the port on our day so it could be crowded etc.

All advice welcomed.

Ian Moore

On the Regal in Nov we did the Princess train only. Since its an hour ride each way we wanted to make sure that we were back to the ship on time. It was only $79 PP. It worked well and we had the confidence that we would make it back to the ship even if the tour or train had issues.

The train station is outside the port entrance and its pretty far to walk.

The Princess train comes into the port. We caught a 5 minute coach ride from the ship to the train and return.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We took the train from Rome to Civitavecchia to stay at a hotel overnight before embarkation. Even dragging our luggage to the hotel along the waterfront & then to the port's entrance wasn't too bad for us but maybe not good for others.

It was about a 10 minute walk for us from the train station to the port's entrance gate where a shuttle bus took us to the ship. You can check the train schedules but recall those from the main Termini station were regularly scheduled & about an hour ride. The station is on the edge of Rome (east?) but using their subway you can easily get around Rome.

I do not recall the cost but as "Colo Cruiser" posted, it may be worthwhile to book the Princess train. I don't know if it drops you off more centrally in Rome but it may be a less stressful & faster way to see more of Rome. My train experience in Italy has been very reliable however if there is an issue it's nice to know that Princess would do everything possible to get you back to the ship before sailing.

Each of us has a different comfort level when traveling & there are a couple of options by train or even using a van service if having a group from your roll call.:)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I do not recall the cost but as "Colo Cruiser" posted, it may be worthwhile to book the Princess train. I don't know if it drops you off more centrally in Rome but it may be a less stressful & faster way to see more of Rome. My train experience in Italy has been very reliable however if there is an issue it's nice to know that Princess would do everything possible to get you back to the ship before sailing.

I forgot, it dropped us off (and PU) at the San Pietro station. Its about a 10 minute walk to the Vatican.

I forgot, it dropped us off (and PU) at the San Pietro station. Its about a 10 minute walk to the Vatican.

That's great & it's another time saving consideration for seeing as much as possible of Rome during a whirlwind day in the Eternal City.

We've experienced a lot of Rome during our pre/post cruise stays & land trips to Italy but the Princess train option appears to be the best option for a one day visit from Civitavecchia. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

We chose the Birg ticket for seeing Rome...for about 12 euros you get rt train trip and all the subway and bus rides that you want for a day trip in Rome.

I'll second that. It was very easy and affordable. As Bruce said, definitely check out the ports of call boards.

I'll second that. It was very easy and affordable. As Bruce said, definitely check out the ports of call boards.

add a 3rd. For €12 you can do everything the $80 cruise trip does, plus a lot more (free bus/subway around Roma), and take any train you want back at any time from any Roma station.

I definitely vote for the Princess train for the assurance that you won't miss the ship. There could be a strike, accident, delay, anything, and you could miss the ship. If Rome was 10 min away, I'd say risk it, but I think it's too far to take the risk. Whatever you decide, good luck, and have fun!

I definitely vote for the Princess train for the assurance that you won't miss the ship. There could be a strike, accident, delay, anything, and you could miss the ship. If Rome was 10 min away, I'd say risk it, but I think it's too far to take the risk. Whatever you decide, good luck, and have fun!

And that, my friends, is how they induce you to pay way more than you need to to take any ship excursion. . .

Many of us here have taken the train MANY times; no reports of anyone ever missing the ship, but you do have to be smart about your timing. We usually take the second to last train that will get us back to port in time.

My other issue with the private trains is that they don't normally depart until about 9:30 AM, when I am already enjoying a cappuccino at my favorite cafe in Rome. . .

Edited by CathyCruises

And that, my friends, is how they induce you to pay way more than you need to to take any ship excursion. . .

Many of us here have taken the train MANY times; no reports of anyone ever missing the ship, but you do have to be smart about your timing. We usually take the second to last train that will get us back to port in time.

My other issue with the private trains is that they don't normally depart until about 9:30 AM, when I am already enjoying a cappuccino at my favorite cafe in Rome. . .

I could not respond any better than Cathy has.

I will only add that even with the Princess train, there is not a "guarantee" that you won't miss the ship. After all, do you think the Princess train will wait for you if you are not there at departure time?

Just as you have to be responsible for being there on time, you also have to be responsible for making a reasonable plan for the day in Rome if you DIY. And that would include, as Cathy says, giving yourself enough time for a "Plan B" if needed.

Edited by cruisemom42

Many of us here have taken the train MANY times; no reports of anyone ever missing the ship, but you do have to be smart about your timing..

On one of my cruises last year, two passengers were late back from Rome and missed the ship, which was next stop Corsica.

Every tannoy announcement for the next week, the captain made a huge deal of how much they had to spend to catch up, to push the official tours.

If it all went horribly wrong, and the trains were on strike or similar, just get a cab from Rome. Sure it wouldn't be cheap, but in the round is still cheaper than paying for official tours.

I'm not saying no one has ever missed the ship, just that no one has reported missing the ship due to a 'last minute train strike', accident on the lines, etc. l

You have to be responsible to get yourself back to the tour bus if on a ship tour, same thing if you're on a DIY excursion.

Ive read lots of reports of cruisers in the Caribbean having one too many beers at Carlos 'N Charlie's and losing track of time, running down the dock as the ship pulls away. No trains involved. . .

I am wondering if anyone knows how late the trains from Rome back to Civi run?

We have an extra long port time in Rome, 7 am - 8 pm (which will mean be back on the ship by 7 pm I am sure) and I am wondering what time the trains stop running from Rome to Civi.

I am wondering if anyone knows how late the trains from Rome back to Civi run?

We have an extra long port time in Rome, 7 am - 8 pm (which will mean be back on the ship by 7 pm I am sure) and I am wondering what time the trains stop running from Rome to Civi.

The Trenitalia website lists the last train from Termini to Civi at 11:27 pm.

I will check out the website. I am looking for something in the neighborhood of 5 or 5:30 p.m.

Thanks!

Most people recommend not taking the absolute last train that would get you back in time but rather the next-to-last, just in case. That way if something happens and you miss it you still have a fall back option.

Most people recommend not taking the absolute last train that would get you back in time but rather the next-to-last, just in case. That way if something happens and you miss it you still have a fall back option.

Totally agree. While it would not be the worst thing to happen to me to have to spend an extra night in Rome and catch up with the ship the next day, it is not my goal!

According to current schedules (which will undoubtedly change multiple times before our trip) there are 3 trains after 5 pm that could get us back to the ship in time for the 1 hour buffer they usually give you (i.e. sailing at 8 be back on the ship at 7) and I would probably shoot for that first one after 5. That way if I miss that there are still 2 to catch.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been going through the posts and it seems that most agree that the BIRG ticket from Civitavecchia to Rome is the best way to go in terms of flexibility and cost. We are on the Allure of the Seas, arrive on Thursday Oct 15 and look like we dock at quay 2BIS(S) - although I could not find a diagram of the port to figure out where it is. Could someone give me the details of what we need to do once we arrive and return - our ship arrives 7AM and depart 8 PM. It appears to me there is a free shuttle from the port to the train station - where do I find the shuttle, how long does it take and where to I get off? Will I need to walk to the train station and if so what is the route. Should I buy the tickets in advance and if so from where? - it looks like the 12 euros/person is the best because it includes buses, etc. What were our times look like eg, How long will it take us to get from ship to the train station, what might be the earliest train we can catch, how long will it take and then the reverse trip back. The ship wants about $110 CAD to take a fast train but I think it leaves at 9:30 and departs about 5 pm but it can be replaced by a bus if there is not enough people. So the BIRG looks way more attractive. Thanks for any help you can give us.:)

You can see the port map here: http://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/it/mappa-del-porto

We need some recent feedback, because looking at this new map it appears that the south entrance and exit to the port, which is the one close to the fortress and to the train station, is open for pedestrians.

It also appears that there is a shuttle bus stop once again at the fort.

If true, this is great news for cruise passengers, but it means that you need to know to get off at the fort stop rather than stay on to the Via Turco stop.

Edited to add:

Never mind about the shuttle bus. Reading further (and amazingly, I found it in English after I'd worked my way through the Italian version), the buses that pick up cruise passengers do not make the intermediate stops. In other words, they don't make the stop at the fort. However, they are very clear that you can simply walk out of the port without using the shuttle bus if you want to.

see here: http://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/shuttles

Edited by euro cruiser

Thanks for the map. I got a warning from my virus program when I wanted to open this website but ignored it It looks like a long walk - how long to think it would be to walk vs the shuttle?

The cruise ship shuttle takes you to a parking lot that is about 1 mile from the train station. Walk along the sea (on your right if walking from the ship) until you reach the train station. It takes about 15- 20 minutes at a fast pace. You are not allowed to walk out of port, must take a shuttle. The shuttles run continuously and are right outside the ship as you exit.

We were there in Feb 2015 and this was the situation then, not sure about now.

If I am correct, not sure that I am, but I think you can only buy the BIRG pass on the day of use??? And only at the counter, not the machines.

It takes along time to get from Rome to the ship. We were on a 1:40 pm train from Rome and did not get back onto the ship until almost 4:15, gates closed at 4:30. I would not recommend taking a train later than 5:30 back to port, but that is just my opinion. Several people missed the ship on the Rome day. Plus the train before ours was broken or something, so the train was packed. It is not fun to stand for over and hour. We had seats, but there were several people who did not and looked miserable.

If you take an express train it is only about 40 minutes, but you cannot use the BRIG pass for that as far as I know.

Have fun, don't miss the ship!!

I have been going through the posts and it seems that most agree that the BIRG ticket from Civitavecchia to Rome is the best way to go in terms of flexibility and cost. We are on the Allure of the Seas, arrive on Thursday Oct 15 and look like we dock at quay 2BIS(S) - although I could not find a diagram of the port to figure out where it is. Could someone give me the details of what we need to do once we arrive and return - our ship arrives 7AM and depart 8 PM. It appears to me there is a free shuttle from the port to the train station - where do I find the shuttle, how long does it take and where to I get off? Will I need to walk to the train station and if so what is the route. Should I buy the tickets in advance and if so from where? - it looks like the 12 euros/person is the best because it includes buses, etc. What were our times look like eg, How long will it take us to get from ship to the train station, what might be the earliest train we can catch, how long will it take and then the reverse trip back. The ship wants about $110 CAD to take a fast train but I think it leaves at 9:30 and departs about 5 pm but it can be replaced by a bus if there is not enough people. So the BIRG looks way more attractive. Thanks for any help you can give us.:)

We arrived at 5am, able to leave ship at 6am, took shuttle to parking lot, walked to train station, first train we were able to make was at 7:12 or something like that. Just because there is shuttle service, we had to wait until the bus was full, so did not leave the port until about 6:30. Sat in the bus for 30 minutes............so be flexible with your time. We got to the Vatican by 9am, first in line at St Peter's, then only had a short wait for museum.

I posted above about getting back to the ship

Happy sailing!