and the moral of the story is: wear shoes!

marie61

Hi,

My husband and I just returned from a March Break cruise on Silhouette, where, on the 2nd last night, he stepped on something in our cabin, causing extreme pain in the ball of his foot.

Two weeks later, he has had serious surgery, removing a steel pin from the interior of his foot.

We think it may have been a dry cleaning pin that got broken and left on the carpet, but it could also have been part of a sewing needle (really, who sews on a cruise?).

He will hopefully be fine, but he has a serious bandage, stitches that have to be removed in two weeks, has been off work, on painkillers and antibiotics, tetanus shot etc.....all for walking around our cabin in bare feet!

A couple of years ago, he stepped on broken glass in another hotel.

Ok, we have learned! wear shoes of some sort whenever in a non-home situation because you don't know what happened there previously and despite all the cleaning efforts, stuff gets missed!

Sharing the knowledge! :)

Hi,

My husband and I just returned from a March Break cruise on Silhouette, where, on the 2nd last night, he stepped on something in our cabin, causing extreme pain in the ball of his foot.

I feel your DH's pain! If I don't have sandals, swim shoes, or shoes on I find all sorts of stuff to walk on and in-bed in my feet. :o Did you guys fly home with that in DH's foot?

I feel your DH's pain! If I don't have sandals, swim shoes, or shoes on I find all sorts of stuff to walk on and in-bed in my feet. :o Did you guys fly home with that in DH's foot?

Yup, and he also went to work for an entire work until he finally agreed to go to see the doctor! (You know men!) :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear this. I hope he will feel better soon.

I always take a pair of slippers or flip flops for any hotel room or cruise ship cabin. Not only do they protect your feet from sharp objects, but also the carpets can be very dirty. It just makes good sense to me. :)

Sorry to hear this. I hope he will feel better soon.

I always take a pair of slippers or flip flops for any hotel room or cruise ship cabin. Not only do they protect your feet from sharp objects, but also the carpets can be very dirty. It just makes good sense to me. :)

I too am very sorry and hope all is good real soon as this is no way to end a nice trip.

I actually have a pair of slippers that I keep in my luggage and call them my hotel room slippers. I remove a shoe, step into a slipper and repeat with the other foot. I only remove these slippers to put shoes back on, take a shower or go to bed. You never know what has happened on the floor, is hiding on the floor or how clean it is.

I actually have a pair of slippers that I keep in my luggage and call them my hotel room slippers. I remove a shoe, step into a slipper and repeat with the other foot. I only remove these slippers to put shoes back on, take a shower or go to bed. You never know what has happened on the floor, is hiding on the floor or how clean it is.

We sound like twins. :D I completely understand what you are saying, and I do the same thing you do as well. My hotel room slippers are a pair that can be washed after every vacation, ready to go with me again. :)

Oh dear. Sorry to read this. What a horrible end to a lovely vacation.

I always pack a small little kit with needle and thread just in case a button comes off but I do make sure I have the needle back in the kit if I'd had to use it.

We always pack something to wear on our feet in hotels and cruise ships. There's no way we walk around barefoot. We drop our slippers or flip flops at the bedside...don't want those germs getting on our sheets...ugh.

In our own home, I always had DH and children take their shoes off...we never walked around the house with shoes on...you never know what germs you are bringing in. and tracking on carpeting or floors.

I don't think my bare feet have ever touched the carpet in our cabin, or for that matter, in a hotel room. I take my trusty, nearly weightless, Crocs along to make sure they never do. I am not at all a germ freak, but my imagination runs rampant when thinking about what may be imbedded in the carpet. YMMV.

Hi,

it could also have been part of a sewing needle (really, who sews on a cruise?).

Sorry that happened to him, but I always have one of those hotel mini sewing kits in my bag in case a button falls off or something. I know others who do too, so I don't think it's all that uncommon.

So sorry for your poor husband! Yeouch! Awful story.

I belong to the club that cringes at the thought of my feet touching hotel room carpet. But my husband doesn't. He's packing at this very moment (we leave tomorrow for a cruise), so I'm telling him your tale right now.

We finished our cruise on the Infinity a few weeks ago.. We noticed the cabin attendants are using those mechanical floor sweepers rather than vacuum cleaners, as in the past. We wore white socks without shoes in our cabin one day. We were shocked at how dirty the sock bottoms were. Either the sweepers are ineffective or Celebrity cut back on carpet maintenance. I am not surprised to see the OP's comments. PS we didn't go out on our verandah at all since there was soot there most of the cruise.

years ago I stepped on a sea urchin at a beach. Not vey pleasnt and fortunate that I was able to back off real fast. it felt as if I was steeping on a broken glass bottle. Ever since besides wearing some kind of foot protection in hotels, cabin and etc I also wear water shoes at beaches.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I never walk around barefoot ... it's too hard on my legs & knees ... and it's not good for the skin on your feet, either.

I, too, have a pair of "hotel" crocs that I wear in hotels or ship cabins. They don't go into any public areas, though, just our room. And of course I have my house crocs to wear around the house.

I, too, have a pair of "hotel" crocs that I wear in hotels or ship cabins. They don't go into any public areas, though, just our room. And of course I have my house crocs to wear around the house.

Me too. Even at home, I don't like to walk around barefoot. Always wear slippers or crocs. The thought of going barefoot in a hotel room or cabin just makes me anxious. :)

Like the title of this thread and thinking of using it for my epitaph: She wore shoes.

I remember being told by a flight attendant on an 18 hour flight not to walk around bare footed on the plane due to germs on the floor from foot diseases that might be common in other countries. Also I don't know how people fly today wearing just flip flops.

Protect those feet!

In November I hosted the sailaway in my cabin for the entire roll call. We had over 110 folks show up (PH 6148.)

I brought 3 sleeves or red Solo cups, and asked everyone who came with a glass to switch to plastic, as I didn't want my feet to find glass fragments on the veranda.

I ended up wearing flip-flops while in the cabin though, after finding a push pin embedded in the carpet in the bedroom....

Be careful out there....