Rome Hotels recommendation for October Cruise

Gaia0948#

I am going on the Celebrity/ Silhouette end of October. I would like to spend a few days in Rome sightseeing before the cruise.. Any recommendations for hotels in Rome? Can someone also recommend the best way to get from Rome to the port in Civitavecchia. Thanks.

Best Western Hotel Canada...seriously! It's very Italian in décor, large rooms and baths, plus the service is wonderful. Rates are (or used to be) reasonable and include a full breakfast. Near the Termini and within walking distance of many sites if you like to stroll. Have stayed there 3 times while in Rome.

Email Rome Cabs for pre-arranged transportation. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

I am going on the Celebrity/ Silhouette end of October. I would like to spend a few days in Rome sightseeing before the cruise.. Any recommendations for hotels in Rome? Can someone also recommend the best way to get from Rome to the port in Civitavecchia. Thanks.

If you are going to stay for a few days, I'd suggest renting a flat through VRBO.com or HomeAway.com. Our group has two units rented. Lots more room and usually quite a bit cheaper than hotels. They all have kitchens where you can make breakfast, pick up goodies in local markets (lots of fun.)

You can see pictures and check reviews.

We've done this in the south of France, Tuscany and London. Part of the fun in planning.

When we consider hotels in Rome, we tend to think in terms of neighbourhoods.

As already suggested, the Termini area is excellent in terms of some interesting sites and access to transit. We have stayed at the Residence Cellini in that area and highly recommend it.

We have also stayed near the Spanish Steps at the Majestic Hotel. Great hotel, but less of a "Rome" feeling and significantly more expensive.

This spring we will be in the Trastavere neighbourhood.

If you focus on a neighbourhood then TripAdvisor may be of great help.

Will also agree with the previous poster. RomeCabs is a great choice for transfers. They will take as many as 6 in their vans, and people on your Roll Call may be willing to join you.

Have a great time in Rome!

The Albergo Cesari is great. Rooms are clean and good sized for Italy. Rooftop was lovely. We stayed there last year before our cruise. It is two blocks from the Pantheon. We walked everywhere (Trastevere, the Spanish Steps and Colosseum) and never felt that we needed a cab. Vatican might be a hike (we didn't visit this trip so I cannot speak to that).

I second Rome Cabs. We used them from Rome to port and port to airport with no issues whatsoever. Highly recommend!

Enjoy!

I cannot emphasize highly enough how important neighborhood is when staying in Rome. Many people for some unknown reason like the area around Termini. but it is far from the main sites and much less desirable in terms of cleanliness, restaurants etc.

if you go over to the Italy boards, you will see that most posters there would recommend staying the historical center of Rome. This would be the area around the Pantheon, Piazza Navona etc. All of the main sites are easily walkable from this location, it's very safe to stroll around at night, and I found restaurants there to be far superior to those around Termini.

Having said that, Trastevere is also a nice location although a little bit more off the beaten path.

I recommended that you go to venere.com and do a search for hotels in your price range. This site allows you to select the neighborhood that you want to be in. Highly recommended hotels in this area include Albergo del Senato and Alberto Cesari.

The Albergo Cesari is great. Rooms are clean and good sized for Italy. Rooftop was lovely. We stayed there last year before our cruise. It is two blocks from the Pantheon. We walked everywhere (Trastevere, the Spanish Steps and Colosseum) and never felt that we needed a cab. Vatican might be a hike (we didn't visit this trip so I cannot speak to that).

I will second the recommendation of the Albergo Cesari, where we stayed last fall as well before the Silhouette TA. Can't beat the location. We walked everywhere, including to the Vatican, breaking it up along the way with a visit to the magnificent Castel Sant'Angelo.

OP: where ever you wind up staying, I encourage you to make a reservation asap. You'll usually find better prices the earlier you book.

As it turned out, several of us on our Roll Call were at the Cesari, and one couple organized a private transfer for us to the ship with Romeinlimo. They are a great company that consistently gets raves on here (we used them some years ago for a one day tour of Rome during a port call to Civi).

Have a great trip!

Though it may already be booked solid, try the Garibaldi Suites, which is close to the Spanish Steps. First class boutique. Manager will arrange private car ship or airport pickup/transport at price better than Rome Cabs.

I will also recommend the Albergo Cesari and you have two choices for ristorantes right out the front door. This came in handy the first night when we were too tired to walk any more. You can absolutely cover all of the sites from here but we did use a taxi to the Vatican - also with others from our roll call. :) Loved having breakfast on the terrace too!

We also had many from our roll call there and we booked a group transfer with Rome Cabs to the port.

We stayed at the Hilton/Astoria Rome Cavalieri. It is a beautiful hotel that's up a hill. It has beautiful views of Rome. You won't walk to the centre of Rome from this hotel but they have shuttles available. We loved it because it was a lovely setting, quiet and taking a shuttle/ taxi wasn't a big deal for us.

Address : Via Alberto Cadlolo 101, Rome, 00136, Italy

Hope you have a wonderful time in Rome

I agree it is a beautiful hotel...we loved our stay there

We stayed at the Hilton/Astoria Rome Cavalieri. It is a beautiful hotel that's up a hill. It has beautiful views of Rome. You won't walk to the centre of Rome from this hotel but they have shuttles available. We loved it because it was a lovely setting, quiet and taking a shuttle/ taxi wasn't a big deal for us.

You can take the train from Rome to the port - super cheap but you need to be able to handle your luggage. You will have to walk about 10 minutes inside Termini and also exiting the station at Citivit. to get to the port entrance. But if you can do this, it is a much cheaper option.

I have no problem staying near Termini as well - lots of choice and not hard to get to most of the sights. It is the more convenient option IMO for the port and the airport and in 10 minutes you can walk to a more scenic location for dining and people watching.

Recommending a hotel for someone is difficult without knowing more about what you are looking for:

Hotels in Rome are not cheap, but there's a range of prices -- how much are you budgeting? (Be realistic -- you aren't going to get a really nice hotel in the city center with a lovely view for $120 a night...)

Are you looking to be in the center of things where you can walk to most sites? Or is peace and quiet more important to you, knowing that you may have to take a cab or a shuttle to get to where the main sites are?

Most European hotels have smallish rooms and baths. A double or queen bed often is two twins pushed together, similar to onboard ship. If you need American-style rooms and a king-sized bed, you probably will need to look for a chain hotel (and even then it may be very much more European than the standard American hotel).

IF you are using the train to get to Civitavecchia and IF you are only staying in Rome for a night or two, consider Termini area (near the main station). Otherwise, I would not recommend it. It's safe -- it's just not one of the prettier parts of Rome and it's not as convenient for walking to the sites.

Edited by cruisemom42

Another vote for the Piazza Navona area. We stayed there twice, in an apt which we loved :

http://www.vrbo.com/194513

so convenient to everything....we walked everywhere....and a delightful area to stroll around at night.

Also recommend joining the roll call for your cruise & joining up with others to share transportation to the port.

Have a great time!

I also stayed at the Waldorf=Astoria Rome Cavalieri. On top of the highest hill in Rome. I loved sitting out on the terrace in the evening, enjoying a glass of wine while looking at the beautiful view of Rome. Had a lightning storm one night - it was fantastic. But, I was staying there for free (thanks to my W=A employment benefits). Unless I was staying there free or on Hhonors points or needed an American chain luxury hotel, I wouldn't be staying there. If someone wants that kind of luxury hotel, I'll certainly recommend it. But, for most CCers, they want the less expensive hotel in the Centro Storico. That's why people here usually recommend the Cesari, the Senato, or the less expensive motels near the railroad station.

I'm leaving in 8 days to go back to Rome. Not a W=A employee anymore. I'm staying at the Westin (thanks to my new employer). It's up on Via Veneto, so I do have to walk a little to get into Centro Storico. BUT, I can't find a hotel or B&B of such quality in that area for $89/night ;)

We stayed at the Artimide Hotel, within walking distance of many sights. About a block from the Metro and 3 blocks from Termini. Staff bent over backwards to make you happy and they had an outstanding breakfast buffet which kept us going until dinner. They stored our luggage for us on our last day so we could tour the city. No complaints at all! We walked to Spanish steps, Trevi Fountain, and were within 10-15 minutes of all other major sights.

LEtue mentioned there are 2 restaurants very near Albergo Cesari. Our group is staying there in late May prior to our Celebrity Equinox cruise. I would love to know the names of the restaurants so we can make reservations in advance.

Thanks.

Janice