Planning ahead vs. last minute

Blondilu

My neighbor and I both have upcoming cruises. Hers is at the end of May with a friend and mine is in August with my sister.

I have everything planned, the cruise has been booked for 18 months. The cruise, pre-cruise hotel and flight have all been paid for. I've pre-paid gratuities and the two excursions I've planned on my own. Reservations have been made for ships excursions and I have already started purchasing tickets online for some of the things we'll be doing in London pre-cruise where, of course, I have daily itineraries planned. And I've already starting putting stuff (things I won't need til the trip) in my suitcase. That may be a little overkill, but I'm a terrible housekeeper and this way I'll at least know where they are.

My neighbor, on the other hand, booked her cruise at about 6 months, hasn't yet booked her flight or the hotel for the pre-cruise part and told me she hasn't really planned any excursion, DIY, ship's or otherwise. In fact, they have just started looking at the ship's excursions.

In your opinion who's crazier: me or her?

It really depends on what kind of traveler you are. I'm personally a planner, but I've known people who if they spent too much time planning the details of a vacation they would get burned out before the trip even started.

I've also had a couple trips that were really loosely planned that turned out to be some of the best. On our way to Seattle we decided to take a random detour to see Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore, wouldn't have been able to do that if we had things planned out.

My neighbor and I both have upcoming cruises. Hers is at the end of May with a friend and mine is in August with my sister.

I have everything planned, the cruise has been booked for 18 months. The cruise, pre-cruise hotel and flight have all been paid for. I've pre-paid gratuities and the two excursions I've planned on my own. Reservations have been made for ships excursions and I have already started purchasing tickets online for some of the things we'll be doing in London pre-cruise where, of course, I have daily itineraries planned. And I've already starting putting stuff (things I won't need til the trip) in my suitcase. That may be a little overkill, but I'm a terrible housekeeper and this way I'll at least know where they are.

My neighbor, on the other hand, booked her cruise at about 6 months, hasn't yet booked her flight or the hotel for the pre-cruise part and told me she hasn't really planned any excursion, DIY, ship's or otherwise. In fact, they have just started looking at the ship's excursions.

You're crazier.

Well, you asked.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

I'm with you, Blondilu. We could be soul mates. Cruise booked a year ago, flights booked and paid for, hotel booked (not paid for), all excursions booked and paid for, soda cards purchased, $500 OBC purchased, 2 bags in my closet with items required for cruise (they're not in suitcases so technically I haven't started packing yet :) ). I've just booked my hair and colour appointment for 2 weeks prior to the cruise, and about to pre-book taxi to pick us up at stupid o'clock for airport. :D

Depending on where she's flying to, she may very well be paying a premium for airfare and hotel. If it's any major port city in Europe, she's "screwed."

I would say that you are crazier. Start packing 4 months prior to the trip?

Does it matter. Really a personal preference.

Six months out is a long time for us. Often we book inside the final payment window BUT we may have been planning for a few months and even have air teed up.

For us it is often a case of watching a few sailings to see which cruise line hits our target price for a balcony. It is one of the benefits of retirement.

We pack the night before if we have an early flight or the morning of. But, we have done lots of business and personal travel so we can probably do it blindfolded and in 15 minutes tops.

Well, I did ask and knew someone would say I was crazier. LOL.

I am not as well traveled as my laid back neighbor which may account for some of the over-planning. But, I like the feeling of having everything taken care of in advance so I can just pick up and go when the time comes without any last minute issues. I do sometimes envy the more spontaneous, but don't think it's for me. Guess I'll just have to own my special brand of crazy. :)

You are not crazy. I like to be organised too. If we haven't got "our" apartment in Venice before we sail it is all extra work sorting out another one. Train is booked four months before on the day tickets become available.

BUT you can go very cheaply last minute. Some very tempting offers out there but, unfortunately, we are not at home so no posh frocks! Next year I will be organised and fling caution to the winds and book the week before we sail at bargain prices.

Perhaps:D

Would worry me if flights not booked yet though.

I think the OP is crazier. I've only booked one cruise more than six months in advance. We generally don't book until after the final payment date. I start looking at airfare before I book. For our most recent cruises (back-to-back shorties at the end of December), airfare was too high, so we ended up driving to Fort Lauderdale from North Carolina. It wasn't bad since we had the time to do that because of the holidays. It would be taxing on me to do all that driving if I only had one week off.

It really just depends. I'm a planner so I'll start gathering info about travel arrangements and ports. I'll start putting aside sample sizes.

But most of our cruises have been from our home port so no hotels nor flights needed. We just decide if we will drive ourselves to the port (and park there) or hire a car service.

Our last three cruises have been the same itinerary so I just back and re-read the materials I've collected from the past times as well as find tourism sites. We don't always do excursions -- most of the time we just go out into the port on our own. So that's another decision for our family to make. But we don't plan out every second in port. We often will come up with places to go but will decide on the spot to go someplace else.

And I don't pre-plan any thing for on board days. I'll check the Patter for the next day and pick out possible things to do but I try to let hubby decide what he wants to do...and our teen will have her own plans.

For any cruise not from our home port, we always plan to arrive at least a day ahead.

And believe it or not, once my hubby called me and said, that cruise we were thinking of going on (we had a ship in mind), let's book it. So for an early March 2001 cruise, I managed to book the cruise (8 days before sailing date), booked the flights (I told hubby if we just waited a few weeks, we would save money, but he wanted to go ASAP) to Miami, booked a pre-cruise hotel in Miami, booked post-cruise hotel in Miami, booked two hotels in the Keys, booked the pre-flight hotel in Miami, and booked a rental car for post-cruise. All that in three days and with dial-up Internet and a phone for anything I couldn't trust to that. The only things that went wrong were the rental car (will never use Alamo again) and the pre-flight hotel (they first gave us a smoking room, even though I've very meticulous and know I asked for non-smoking and the replacement room, though on a non-smoking floor, reeked of cigars).

These days, I probably would want more time for such a complicated plan.

I'd say my dh! He booked in Dec. I found out 'early' because I opened the credit card bill, on wed, the cruise was for Saturday!

Perfect. Just give me 48 hours and I'm ready. But we drive morning of, so no hotel or flights. Parking really doesn't require planning, nor does anything else.

When I unpacked, I kept all cruise stuff in the luggage. So, you could say I was partly ready before our next one was booked.

We've only once booked a year in advance, and this next one 7 months in advance, kinda risky, but oh well.

Edited by Gardeneroflove

I don't think you are crazy at all! I really enjoy planning details of our cruises and vacations in detail. It helps to know all you can ahead of time about ports, things you want to do the most and that way you can maximize and enjoy your time, not spend your time deciding what to do when. Saves $ too. I like having a plan, and knowing what to look forward to each day...doesn't mean you can't deviate from it...fun, unexpected things come along anyway. Good for you! :)

I'm on the planner side because it helps me to stay on budget and get info for the best vacation experiences. Some vacations inherently require good planning. If you are going to Europe and exploring ports and want an customized experience, you need to start way ahead. for example, in Copenhagen, we did our homework and found a charming former fishermen's hostel (all the necessary amenities) right on the Nyhavn Canal for less than half the price of anything around it and it gets booked up 9 months in advance. Going to the Caribbean? Last minute is okay.

I think she is, but that's because I'm just like you! [emoji16]

But all kidding aside, I suppose it's all about what you want out of a vacation. Cruising will be new to my husband and I, so there are some specific places I want to visit, things I want to do, and staterooms I want to experience, so planning ahead rather than leaving it to chance works more in my favor. But, I suppose if this were my 20th cruise, and I didn't care about the itinerary or my room, then I could probably book something last minute and save a few bucks. Hopefully that will come with time.

You asked - I think that you are the crazier one.

Well, I did ask and knew someone would say I was crazier. LOL.

I am not as well traveled as my laid back neighbor which may account for some of the over-planning. But, I like the feeling of having everything taken care of in advance so I can just pick up and go when the time comes without any last minute issues. I do sometimes envy the more spontaneous, but don't think it's for me. Guess I'll just have to own my special brand of crazy. :)

Recognizing you have a problem is the first step in recovery.:p

No worries, we all have a special brand of crazy, it's just that some of us haven't 'owned' that fact yet.;)

Plan, don't plan, over-plan, go spur of the moment. Whatever 'floats your boat'. It's all good.:)

Edited by DirtyDawg

For a European trip from the States, I'd lock in airfare and accommodations 6-9 months in advance if the prices looked good. Also tickets for any DIY attractions that are in heavy demand.

For a Caribbean trip from the States, it would depend on the season of travel. If it were peak demand, I'd start looking within a 6-9 month advance window and would book when I saw a good price.

Packing - I start putting stuff in a pile in my suitcase about 2 weeks before and get serious about 2 days before the trip.

I'd say that neither of you are crazy. Go with what is least stressful for you. I tend to plan in advance and DH is very last minute (booking travel arrangements less than a month prior to a trip). Cutting it that close drives me nuts - higher prices/less choice.

Great responses. I really like this one: "Recognizing you have a problem is the first step in recovery". Started my day with a chuckle which is always a good thing.

What I learned from this thread:

1 - I'm crazy.

2 - I'm not crazy.

3 - It depends.

4 - It's my choice and if it works for me it's all good.

5 - There are others out there who are just like me. Yay!

Truth is I've always been this way and more or less happy with it, but others are different and I wouldn't change them if I could. I am continuously fascinated how there are so many paths to the same destination.

As for my neighbor, even though we are so different we have talked about travelling together someday. But since we always watch each other's dogs I'm not sure it would ever happen. I have other options in that department, her not so much.

Oh yeah. To the poster who said I was crazy for being packed 4 months early, I am NOT packed by any definition. I think what I said was I've started putting things in my suitcase. As stated I am a lousy housekeeper and things often go missing in the mess. Once found they go in the suitcase if not otherwise needed,, such as the pajamas I only wear when travelling (perfect weight) and the swimsuit I'm taking. If I WERE really packed, I would have to go around nearly or completely naked for the next 4 months. :eek:

Both of you :)

6 months is not particularly last minute but with one month to go you want to have everything sorted...not to mention the costs of last minute! But when it comes to excursions its not biggie as you can book on the ship and private companies have lots of slots left...and you don't have to do them.

18 months is a little to far out for me (although booked that far out for our Vista as the deal was so good) as I like to test the waters and hunt around for a while. It is sensible to book the big things like hotels/flights as far our as you can though.

Main thing is you are both going on a cruise!