Corkage Policy Makes No Sense to Me

Bfson

Wow the back and forth on this thread has been really eye opening. Based on this thread I don't think Azamara is for me. There seems to be a bit of nastiness running through here. Wonder if it also manifests itself when onboard. Never been on Azamara and looking at a cruise in November so I have been reading here a bit more.

Wow the back and forth on this thread has been really eye opening. Based on this thread I don't think Azamara is for me. There seems to be a bit of nastiness running through here. Wonder if it also manifests itself when onboard. Never been on Azamara and looking at a cruise in November so I have been reading here a bit more.

I wouldn't book or not book any cruise ship based on Cruise Critic banter. ;)

I will say this. I have been on the Azamara boards since booking my first Azamara cruise and people have been very helpful to me. I also like the fact that Bonnie answers questions on behalf of the line. What I have learned by reading between the lines here is that the crew and many Azamara employees go out of their way to get to know passengers and provide great service.

Totally agree with hubofhockey's remarks above.

We went on our first Azamara cruise last year and really enjoyed the whole experience. Not only a very friendly and welcoming crew but so many great fellow passengers.

Agree with others, please do not avoid Azamara due to this particular thread or a particular poster(s). We personally did not find this typical of onboard behavior on Azamara. I hate to say that I've seen some of the same contrariness run thru some of the other Cruise Critic boards at times.

Edited by ginny123
Add info

Totally agree with hubofhockey's remarks above.

We went on our first Azamara cruise last year and really enjoyed the whole experience. Not only a very friendly and welcoming crew but so many great fellow passengers.

Agree 100%. We love Azamara and the nature of the comments on Cruise Critic do not in any way reflect the on board experience with the passengers and crew. It is like home to us. VERY welcoming by all staff and guests. Please do not let Cruise Critic boards talk you out of a cruise on Azamara.

I agree with the others. I hope you will not base your decision of whether to sail with Azamara Club Cruises on the comments of a few regarding the alcohol policy.

And speaking of which, I am confident our policy is among the most lenient.

I'll reiterate some words my predecessor, Bill Leiber, posted on this board back on July 29, 2013. I've underlined the sentence that made me smile remembering his sense of humor:

"For the sake of good order, I want to reconfirm that we do not set a limit to the number of bottles of wines or liquors you desire to bring onboard. Simply, there is NO cap. (Of course, we're not in the cargo business!)"

I agree with the others. I hope you will not base your decision of whether to sail with Azamara Club Cruises on the comments of a few regarding the alcohol policy.

And speaking of which, I am confident our policy is among the most lenient.

I'll reiterate some words my predecessor, Bill Leiber, posted on this board back on July 29, 2013. I've underlined the sentence that made me smile remembering his sense of humor:

"For the sake of good order, I want to reconfirm that we do not set a limit to the number of bottles of wines or liquors you desire to bring onboard. Simply, there is NO cap. (Of course, we're not in the cargo business!)"

I remember reading Bill's comments, Bonnie. Thanks for the memory.

Add me to the list of those advising not to let some banter on here stop you from cruising ACC. It's such a positive, wonderful experience. If you have the opportunity to sail on ACC, go for it. You will not regret it.

No 'nastiness' on board whatsoever, just fantastic service, friendliness and friensdship!

• 2 weeks later...

The comments on this thread seem to run entirely toward wine at meals. We are considering an Azamara cruise during Feb. 2017 (the Baja one) and wondered if there is a place to see the entire alcohol policy - can we order champagne for breakfast?, walk up to a bar & get a beer? is there draft beer? what is the menu of liquors on the list? is there a mixed drink menu? The only thing we know about Azamara is that it is a former Ren ship, which we sailed on in 2000 before they were bankrupt - and we loved it. We are so excited to see that they are doing a cruise R/T from San Diego, HAL has deserted us. Thanks in advance for any information you can give us.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, this will be our first time cruising with Azamara Quest and we have a number of sea days.

Can you tell me when you can access the free drinks;

Is it only while you are in the dining room/rooms?

Can you have pre dinner, lunch or even breakfast!!! drinks in different venue?

Are certain bars open at different times?

Can you take the free drinks to your cabin etc etc etc

Anything else I should be aware of?

I have read the official policy re what you can take on at embarkation/corkage and have read this thread with interest

Thanks in anticipation

Cheers

Hi all, this will be our first time cruising with Azamara Quest and we have a number of sea days.

I have read the official policy re what you can take on at embarkation/corkage and have read this thread with interest

Thanks in anticipation

Cheers

The complimentary alcohol is available at any of the bars and restaurants during their opening hours. The times of these are published in the daily Pursuits paper. Some open earlier than others (Pool Bar and Mosaic Cafe being two of them) and others open later and stay open later too (eg Looking Glass). I'm not sure about an early bar for say a breakfast Bloody Mary. Perhaps someone else can help. No problem taking complimentary drinks back to the cabin.

Phil

The complimentary alcohol is available at any of the bars and restaurants during their opening hours. The times of these are published in the daily Pursuits paper. Some open earlier than others (Pool Bar and Mosaic Cafe being two of them) and others open later and stay open later too (eg Looking Glass). I'm not sure about an early bar for say a breakfast Bloody Mary. Perhaps someone else can help. No problem taking complimentary drinks back to the cabin.

Phil

Thanks Phil for the info. Not sure if I would have a breakfast Bloody Mary but just curious as to the availability. Didn't wasn't to sit in the dinning room just to have a drink!

Thanks Raema

• 1 month later...
I don't understand the corkage policy. Wine is included in the fare. If I bring my own wine, i save Azamara $ by not drinking their wine. For the act of saving them money they want to charge me $10 a bottle. Huh?

They are charging you $10 for not drinking their wine which they have gone to the trouble to have available for you.

We get a wine glass or four from a bar or room attendent to keep in our room, pour our wine and stroll to dinner with it. This is usually for our preferred pre-dinner/appetizer drink...I guess if you wanted a fine bottle all through dinner, it's best to pay the $10, or excuse yourself and stroll back to your room for a refill.

(I've done both :o )

Yep, we know how to work the system, but why go to the trouble.

The supposed logic in those two statements has me shaking my head in wonder. Next someone will tell me Oceania is a charitable organization.

Pouring a glass in your room and sneaking it into a shipboard restaurant is, well, better left unsaid. People complain on Cruise Critic about being nickled and dimed by cruise lines. Amusing to me to see people willingly boast here about how they nickle and dime their cruise line.

I started doing this on Celebrity because I sat down for dinner and asked for a Bombay Sapphire Gin on ice and 30 minutes later I still didn't have my drink.

I bring it with me and they graciously place my glass on a tray and bring it to the table with me. If you Spend $30,000 for trip, why complain about a drink.

Now Azamara service is better. For dessert I ordered a Grasshopper made with Ice cream rather than cream and ran the timer and got it back in 10 minutes. Wow, I was impressed, because the waiter probably had to grab some ice cream to take to the bar to give the bartender to put with the mixture in the blender. That's what I call service. And I didn't have to bring my own Crème-de-menthe nor my White Crème de Cacao and couldn't have brought the ice cream. HA!

Well, I can only compare Azamara to other cruise lines. I can assure you I liked he wine better on Azamara than on Silversea and of course both are all inclusive. Both give excellent service. I just fell in love with Azamara on our last cruise in 2014

Don't let this thread sway you, it is just a bunch of us old geezers shooting the bull. I would like to have a few drinks and get together with this bunch to hassle. Should be fun.

I'm a gin drinker so I would run the wine guys wild.

Thanks in anticipation

Cheers

On our last Azamara cruise we stopped in Mexico and I always liked drinking Tequila/Sangrita. I found a store and bought the Sangrita. Got back on board and ordered some Tequila that they had to charge me for since it wasn't on the comp. list. I couldn't drink all they brought to the cabin and set it down later, but my wife though it away. I could have gotten the tequila on shore for a $1 a shot. That plan didn't work too well. I should have bought a bottle of tequila on shore, but couldn't find a small one.

Just be sure and check that the liquor you want is complimentary since it may be complimentary if you go to the bar to get it, but not if you have your butler bring it to your cabin.

Yes. Any analysis that fails to include the free wine from Azamara is fatally flawed. If this were a ship that did not include wine, or a restaurant on shore, such an analysis would be logical. Corkage is designed to cover the restaurant's lost profit on selling a bottle. The isn't any here.Quite the opposite

Bfson,

We did a trip through the Copper Canyon by train in 1972. It was a very interesting trip and I have a trip report.

Going to meet friends in San Diego next month for 4 days and staying at the "Del". My friend says it is a nice hotel. I stayed in Mission Bay last time.

Any advice for San Diego for a third trip.

Bfson,

We did a trip through the Copper Canyon by train in 1972. It was a very interesting trip and I have a trip report.

Going to meet friends in San Diego next month for 4 days and staying at the "Del". My friend says it is a nice hotel. I stayed in Mission Bay last time.

Any advice for San Diego for a third trip.

a "nice" hotel.,..is a bit of an understatement!! IMO...as a native SD person. It is an iconic land-mark...and you will love it!!! You might want to check it out on-line...it is an awesome place and Coronado is as well...where the hotel is located. As a "native" ...I would be happy to answer any questions re what to do in SD...let me know!!! LuAnn

a "nice" hotel.,..is a bit of an understatement!! IMO...as a native SD person. It is an iconic land-mark...and you will love it!!! You might want to check it out on-line...it is an awesome place and Coronado is as well...where the hotel is located. As a "native" ...I would be happy to answer any questions re what to do in SD...let me know!!! LuAnn

I agree! it 5 star and some great places to eat near by. the pool area is lovely. i went once to visit and toured the Coronado area.

Thanks marinaro, LuAnn, and elbon.

Would love to tour the Midway, but myself and friend's knees are too old. Plan a harbor cruise and a trip to Balboa Park and some of the seaside restaurants. I understand the "Del" has several nice restaurants inside. If the cost is proportional to the room rates, I could take a cruise for this 4 day trip.

My friend said something about going to Safari Park I think which is about 30 miles away. We have done the Zoo once, but I think that could be done again. I think the zoo has a tram if I remember correctly.

Thanks marinaro, LuAnn, and elbon.

Would love to tour the Midway, but myself and friend's knees are too old. Plan a harbor cruise and a trip to Balboa Park and some of the seaside restaurants. I understand the "Del" has several nice restaurants inside.

Don't know if the Del still does Sunday brunch but it's very special.