Reporting in from a slow boat to Vancouver...

shrimp56

Gosh I was sooo wrapped up on the bathroom pictures which I like, that I never noticed the Explores Lounge!

It is awful IMO. Cheap is the word. Those chairs look like they came from a clearance at IKEA.

I'm sorry hope no one gets mad at me😳

Does not look inviting or comfortable.

Denise

Gosh I was sooo wrapped up on the bathroom pictures which I like, that I never noticed the Explores Lounge!

It is awful IMO. Cheap is the word. Those chairs look like they came from a clearance at IKEA.

I'm sorry hope no one gets mad at me😳

Does not look inviting or comfortable.

Denise

Can you point me to the bathroom pictures?

HAL must have some new plans for the Explorer's Lounge.

To change the flooring from carpet to hardwood over such a large area must mean something. The chairs and tables are easy to move now and they can clear out most of the room for whatever purpose when they need space.

I think this is a wait-and-see proposition, but I am hoping it is just a temporary

experiment, or maybe the same guy who came up with the Poolette has been rehired!

HAL must have some new plans for the Explorer's Lounge.

To change the flooring from carpet to hardwood over such a large area must mean something. The chairs and tables are easy to move now and they can clear out most of the room for whatever purpose when they need space.

I think this is a wait-and-see proposition, but I am hoping it is just a temporary

experiment, or maybe the same guy who came up with the Poolette has been rehired!

I would think walking on a hardwood floor when the "ocean is in motion" would be a considerable safety issue.

Like your last comment about whomever was responsible for the Poolette idea!

Thanks everyone for you comments. Yup. 1970s motel. It was a long wait, but worth it at Miraikan. This is the preview you get while at the end of the wait. Will post more when I get home. The flowers are real and respond to motion as you walk around.

i1296.photobucket.com

Off to Kamakura today.

Doesn't bother me, so long as it's comfortable.
We boarded in Hong Kong. At the embarkation lunch we talked with a couple who boarded in Singapore. According to them the chairs are good for maybe a half an hour. Longer than that they are pretty uncomfortable. One night after dinner we noticed that the Explorers Lounge was completely empty, not even one person was sitting in there. The room looks even worse in person. The floors look like cheap laminate.

The only time we notice people in there is when the excellent violinist is playing.

We boarded in Hong Kong. At the embarkation lunch we talked with a couple who boarded in Singapore. According to them the chairs are good for maybe a half an hour. Longer than that they are pretty uncomfortable. One night after dinner we noticed that the Explorers Lounge was completely empty, not even one person was sitting in there. The room looks even worse in person. The floors look like cheap laminate.

The only time we notice people in there is when the excellent violinist is playing.

Thanks for your comments.

Does a pianist accompany the violinist?

No piano player to make it the Adagio Duo?

Internet and your reporter have both been not reliable. Sorry.

Nor sure where I left off, but second Tokyo day wad a private shorex to Kamakura. We saw the big Buddha and a big Shinto shrine before enjoying a leisurely lunch at a small vegetarian cafe. Today wad Hakodate. Saw the morning market, took the Hakodate Ropeway to a view point, th ed n left the tour at the Red Brick

Warehouses where we had lunch. Then wandered off to The City Museum of Northern Peoples. Small, but interesting and helpful for our Ainu Village shorex tomorrow.

Attended Adagio last evening, sitting in the remaining comfortable chairs in the back. Noise was not the problem that I anticipated, but it's all still wrong.

Sorry for the typos and split message. Phone posting encourages those errors I think.

Today is Kushiro. After sailing in dense fog all night with the ship's horn sounding mournfully at regular intervals, I declared today a sea day. Yes we have 5 sea days starting tomorrow, but I needed one today. Sent mr shrimp on the shorex and am lazing around the ship just enjoying my day.

Hakodate was a great port. It is actually quite doable on your own with the free shuttle to the train station and the tram system. The highlight for us was the City Museum of Northern Peoples, with a small, but wonderful display of their costumes and artifacts. Well worth the stop.

Our CC Meet & Greet on April 28 went well. Met many people including RuthC and RevNeal. (We seem to haunt the same bars) Dinner at Le Cirque last evening was exceptional. It was my first time in the Volendam Pinnacle Grill and, despite no sea view is wonderful. It "reads" much more like an upscale restaurant than the others I have visited. The Trio was a delightful set of small luxury tastes, with the best thin toast I have ever had. The shrimp/melon soup was very fresh and tasty. I had the 3 cheese ravioli and while they were not up to the rest, they were "dam" good. Tonight we are doing the Taste of Asia in PG. Will have pictures from that.

Not all cabins have the new bathrooms.

Correct. I'm in an inside cabin on the Dolphin Deck -- 1877 -- and I don't have a new bathroom. I'm not complaining ... I'm aboard this lovely ship, having a fantastic time, with wonderful friends, and my stateroom is clean, well-maintained, perfectly positioned amidships, and I can stand in the shower without a mat and don't have to worry about slipping. 😜

RuthC says "hi! There's a chocolate on my pillow!!!!" :D

Correct. I'm in an inside cabin on the Dolphin Deck -- 1877 -- and I don't have a new bathroom. I'm not complaining ... I'm aboard this lovely ship, having a fantastic time, with wonderful friends, and my stateroom is clean, well-maintained, perfectly positioned amidships, and I can stand in the shower without a mat and don't have to worry about slipping. 😜

RuthC says "hi! There's a chocolate on my pillow!!!!" :D

Glad you are having a great cruise! Super photos on Twitter.

RuthC deserves two chocolates on her pillow!

Love your attitude RevNeal! On the subject of bathrooms, I will take pictures of the new ones in the Neptune Suites. Pretty much the same as before but spanking new.

The redo in Ocean Bar is quite good. The new rugs everywhere remind me of the kids' Crayon Scratch Off boards, very busy with lots of busy lines in them. Pictures will be acquired and posted.

Zaandam had "something" done to their Explorer's Lounge, but hopefully not as dismal as Volendam's. Any reports would be appreciated, especially pictures.

We are at sea in the fog with the horn sounding regularly, with only a gentle roll. So far, good. Taste of Asia was delicious and a lot of fun. I will try to get pictures up soon. This afternoon is a sake tasting, among the selections, at least one from HD James Deering's personal stash.

Other wise it's a dam fine day here

Love your attitude RevNeal! On the subject of bathrooms, I will take pictures of the new ones in the Neptune Suites. Pretty much the same as before but spanking new.

The redo in Ocean Bar is quite good. The new rugs everywhere remind me of the kids' Crayon Scratch Off boards, very busy with lots of busy lines in them. Pictures will be acquired and posted.

Zaandam had "something" done to their Explorer's Lounge, but hopefully not as dismal as Volendam's. Any reports would be appreciated, especially pictures.

We are at sea in the fog with the horn sounding regularly, with only a gentle roll. So far, good. Taste of Asia was delicious and a lot of fun. I will try to get pictures up soon. This afternoon is a sake tasting, among the selections, at least one from HD James Deering's personal stash.

Other wise it's a dam fine day here

Everything sounds wonderful...especially that Sake taking I would definitely love doing that :D

I'll be on this cruise in 2016 and I have questions about laundry. Is the self-service laundry still there? How much does it cost for the washer and dryer? Is there soap available for purchase? Does the ship offer unlimited laundry and, if so, how much per day is it? Do they offer to do a bag of laundry for a certain price? Is this offer only on certain days or on any day?

Thanks for any answers you may have.

shrimp56,

Thanks for your updates.

Who is the Captain? Is it Jeroen Baijens?

Ÿep. Nice guy. He came to our Meet & Greet, even though he was supposed to be at the Neptune Lounge reception too! Asked him if he knew the way across the North Pacific. He said he was just following Princess. Apparently they are out there someplace ahead of us.

Re: laundry. I think they still have by the bag and the fee for unlimited for the whole cruise. I'll check on the laundromat.

shrimp56,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, Captain Baijens is a nice guy, is his wife also on board the ship?

While I am not shrimp56, I can answer that question :) Yes she is on board but not in a working capacity. Although that sometimes changes from week to week.;) Both great people and looking forward to seeing them in 2 weeks.

While I am not shrimp56, I can answer that question :) Yes she is on board but not in a working capacity. Although that sometimes changes from week to week.;) Both great people and looking forward to seeing them in 2 weeks.

Thank you Lisa.

Hope you have a fabulous cruise on the lovely Volendam