Could this be the end of Oriana?

terrierjohn

Come on now, admit it, which one of you people have put in an offer for her??

Ok I admit it, I've got her. Going to start up a cruise company so bad that all the people that like moaning can book on and have loads to complain about. First up is the livery. Hull will be light brown and funnel lime green. Buffet will have a dress code and the main dining room will be shorts and t-shirt. OBC will consist of a button and a chocolate coin. Let me know if you want a brochure and I'll be sure not to send you one!!

As there is no replacement she will not be sold, yet. I stick to my guess of 2018/9 or may be 2020. As much as some would like she cannot go on for ever.

If they announce a new ship of any size below 100,000 then that will be it.

Recently returned from a cruise where we did the ships tour (expensive but worth it IMHO). Anyway, at the end of the tour you get a 15 minute chat with the captain/deputy. When the question was asked about what size of ships were the future, the captain was very clear that he felt it was larger ships that would be coming in the future for P & O.

Lots of reasons around efficiency, emissions and staffing costs were briefly touched on.

Recently returned from a cruise where we did the ships tour (expensive but worth it IMHO). Anyway, at the end of the tour you get a 15 minute chat with the captain/deputy. When the question was asked about what size of ships were the future, the captain was very clear that he felt it was larger ships that would be coming in the future for P & O.

Lots of reasons around efficiency, emissions and staffing costs were briefly touched on.

Carnival have placed an order for 9 ships and have yet to say where those ships will be deployed. It wouldn't surprise me to see P&O get a sister to Britannia.

Carnival have placed an order for 9 ships and have yet to say where those ships will be deployed. It wouldn't surprise me to see P&O get a sister to Britannia.

Yes that would fit with my life expectancy for Oriana. The first of these ships is due 2019.

Details here:-

March 2015: Carnival Corp & plc is ordering a total of nine cruise ships, five from Fincantieri and four from Meyer Werft. The new ships would be delivered over a four-year period between 2019 and 2022. Fincantieri will build five of the new vessels at its shipyards in Monfalcone and Marghera in Italy while Meyer Werft will construct the remaining four at both its German yard at Papenburg and its new and larger capacity Finnish yard at Turku.

Note no sizes given.

Edited by daiB

ok i admit it, i've got her. Going to start up a cruise company so bad that all the people that like moaning can book on and have loads to complain about. First up is the livery. Hull will be light brown and funnel lime green. Buffet will have a dress code and the main dining room will be shorts and t-shirt. Obc will consist of a button and a chocolate coin. Let me know if you want a brochure and i'll be sure not to send you one!!

:D :D

Why didn't I think of that?!

Edited by P&O SUE

Yes that would fit with my life expectancy for Oriana. The first of these ships is due 2019.

March 2015: Carnival Corp & plc is ordering a total of nine cruise ships, five from Fincantieri and four from Meyer Werft. The new ships would be delivered over a four-year period between 2019 and 2022. Fincantieri will build five of the new vessels at its shipyards in Monfalcone and Marghera in Italy while Meyer Werft will construct the remaining four at both its German yard at Papenburg and its new and larger capacity Finnish yard at Turku.

Note no sizes given.

It's also interesting that it's not just Fincantieri who are building them. I think apart from the Aida ships, Carnival have pretty much gone to Italy in the last 10 years.

It's also interesting that it's not just Fincantieri who are building them. I think apart from the Aida ships, Carnival have pretty much gone to Italy in the last 10 years.

I did notice that Holland America have 2 smaller ships on the stocks. Well 2600 as opposed to over 3000. Look like an extended Arcadia. Perhaps something like that could be on the cards?

Note no sizes given.

Fincantieri is constructing Hull 6242 to 135,000 tons which is probably a Royal Class ship, similar to Britannia. This ship is listed for 2016 and typically Carnival Corporation will allocate a brand later on.

As far as selling Oriana is concerned; it will unfortunately happen at some time in the future. Normally this is done discreetly and then the outcome is publicly announced. This "sale" advert was on two different websites and does seem a bit strange. The cruise line denied they were trying to sell the ship but it is possible they want to sell it but not openly or now. Only time will tell.

Any "replacement" will likely be a bigger vessel than Oriana as replacements always have been bigger look at Canberrra 45,000 tons in comparison previous vessels of 28,000 tons. All the people who say I'm not going to go on anything bigger than the current smaller size eventually has to or if not stop cruising on P&O. It's been like this for decades.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Of course P&O are going to deny it they are not going to say anything until it is sold due to market sensitivity and affecting future cruise sales. We sailed on Cunard's Caronia in what turned out to be in her last season and no anouncement had been officialy been made but we were told onboard that it had already been sold to Saga and leased back until end of season.

Edited by majortom10

Sadly - for those of us who prefer smaller ships - the Carnival 'direction of travel' is to go with bigger ships. AIDA managed to keep building ships around 70,000 tonnes until this year, when they are due a new one of 124,000 tonnes. HAL also held out for a while with Arcadia-sized ships but have also now been forced to up-size a bit.

I will have to make the most of the lovely Oriana for the next 2 - 5 years!

Interesting thing about ship size is that Oriana was one of the biggest ships out when she was first built many said she was too big at the time. I thought she was massive !+

I'm even seeing comments like I only like Ventura sized ships, which makes smile as when Ventura 1st came out people moaned at here size.

You got to love the cruise public

Interesting thing about ship size is that Oriana was one of the biggest ships out when she was first built many said she was too big at the time. I thought she was massive !+

I was one of those people :o

However I haven't managed to face the idea of going on anything bigger - so I think that really was my limit. -.

But .... you can't please all of the people all of the time. And clearly there are a lot more people choosing P&O's larger ships given the number of cabins available.

However I hope that P&O continue keep two or three ships like Aurora, Oriana, and Adonia over the coming years.

Talk over on the Princess forum that Grand Princess might be transferred to P&O UK after the 2016 season!. To replace Oriana?

ps - apparently the 2017 Princess newbuild will be customised for and based in China

And hopefully they will need mid size ships like Oceana to sail from ports like Venice. :)

It is a sign of the times that at 77k tonnes and carrying 2000 passengers Oceana is now regarded as a mid size ship yet in her day the QE2, 70K tonnes and carrying 1800 passengers, was regarded as enormous. Today she would be regarded as a mid size ship too, as would the (original) 81k tonnes / 2100 passengers Queen Mary. I was privileged to see the latter 2 years ago in Long Beach California and was amazed how small she seemed compared with Ventura, let alone behemoths like Oasis of the Seas.

Talk over on the Princess forum that Grand Princess might be transferred to P&O UK after the 2016 season!. To replace Oriana?

ps - apparently the 2017 Princess newbuild will be customised for and based in China

If Oriana is to be replaced, I would prefer it to be with a ship no bigger than, and preferably smaller than, Ventura/Azura. Grand Princess would be an acceptable choice. With the same layout and public/deck space as the latter, but with one deck of cabins and 500 less passengers, she would be much less crowded. It was in my view a huge mistake to add that extra deck.

If Carnival are to replace Oriana with an existing ship rather than a new build, then my money is on one of the older Vista class HAL ships.

Carnival can only replace Oriana if she actually goes anywhere. I think it has been shown that Carnival did not place the original advert, so no evidence at all and I be leave the advert has gone. However when she does go in 2019/20 a ship,of the Vista size would fit the bill. Not sure if they would want such old ships however as we are talking pre Arcadia so by then 15+ years old.

Sorry to upset a few but I think it is obvious that Oriana is for sale and P&O are putting feelers out for buyers, whether that advert was put on by P&O or not. It is funny that as soon as it gets a wider audience the advert is taken down. Obviously P&O dont want word to get around that they are looking to sell Oriana as this would affect future cruise sales and selling a cruise ship doesnt happen overnight. It may have been on that website a long time before anyone noticed and if anyone does purchase Oriana then it would be leased back to P&O as this is normal practice until a time suited to both parties. My opinion is Oriana is the oldest, most unreliable and probably costs P&O more to run than all the others and that is as good as reason to offload a ship and my guess is it will not be replaced by another ship because P&O has far too much capacity to fill ships sailing from Southampton leading to lower prices to fill the capacity.

I doubt if there will be any mention from P&O until the last minute remember Artemis?

Selling a viable operating ship is something P&O will not shout from the rooftops, this is an sale that will be In total confidence both to the seller and purchaser.

I doubt if P&O will have a lot of trouble in selling - Oriana size would fit in nicely with say Thomson and Fred Olsen.

As to the asking Price UKL£133mil - not to over the top, but I suspect it will drop subject to negotiation.

Bear in mind Royal Princess Class No 5 is earmarked for P&O circa 2017.

(I wonder if the design will be slightly altered to include a proper Promenade Deck by then

P&O - UK / Holland America / NCL / RCI / Carnival / Costa (slight mistake)

Princess (Elite).............Ship Historian (training):)

Maybe Fred but TUI and therefore Thomson have a partnership with Royal Caribbean. The Splendor of the Seas is transferring to Thomson next year as the Discovery and there is speculation that she will be followed shortly by Legend of the Seas and if TUI's new build program continues Mein Schiff 1 and 2.