Limit 2 Items per Person with $7.95 Room Service Fee

Friends of ours just returned from Getaway and were informed when trying to place an order that the 7.95 fee is good for 2 items per person, per room. Additional items will incur additional fee. They declined / cancelled their order. No news about breakfast items. Don't "kill the messenger". Just passing along the news.

Posted this earlier and was conversing with another CC member and now can't find it.

Friends of ours just returned from Getaway and were informed when trying to place an order that the 7.95 fee is good for 2 items per person, per room. Additional items will incur additional fee. They declined / cancelled their order. No news about breakfast items. Don't "kill the messenger". Just passing along the news.

Posted this earlier and was conversing with another CC member and now can't find it.

What the heck! Yes, there were several posts on that thread. Of course it is not "official" until we see it in writing on the website. Hopefully others from the same cruise or other ships can confirm or clarify. If true, it should be noted on the website and prominently on the menus.

I wondered if something along this line would happen. First off let me say I doubted there would be any way I'd pay 7.95 for "room service" anyway......but now I am certain I'll not be paying 7.95 for a measly 2 items!!!

ps....definitely not "killing the messenger" as I have little to no doubt that this change is occurring.

Edited by LadySpoilt

So room service is in fact now a la carte pricing, it's just that every item costs $3.97 and you have to buy them in pairs.

Depends on number of people in the room it seems. If 2 people you can order 1, 2, 3, or up to 4 items for the same fee. So, for simple rounding, an item can be $2 or it can be $8.

If there are two people in the room and each wants

Soup

Sandwich

Desert

it seems like that would generate a double fee.

I don't think my friends pushed the issue or sought more answers; just heard the pricing and limits and said "forget it". Well, they are Islanders, so they probably said "Fugeddaboutit!"

No wonder folks get confused. One report, from a poster actually on the ship, ordered 6 items and was charged $7.95. Another report from someone who was told by someone on a ship that the $7.95 will be charged for every 2 items ordered.

I'm thinking that the latter example might have misunderstood the charges.

No wonder folks get confused. One report, from a poster actually on the ship, ordered 6 items and was charged $7.95. Another report from someone who was told by someone on a ship that the $7.95 will be charged for every 2 items ordered.

I'm thinking that the latter example might have misunderstood the charges.

Does that make it 3 separate reports? It is hard to keep up. OP here said it is 2 per person per room. I'd imagine if there were 4 in a room you could get 8 items at one charge?

Whatever the final shakedown is, it is apparent that NCL isn't communicating clearly or implementing things mid cruise causing confusion and multiple varying reports.

It seems that NCL really does not want to deliver room service.

I don't think these changes are about more $$$ coming in.

It would just be easier for them to just change the policy and say we do not offer room service anymore.

Does that make it 3 separate reports? It is hard to keep up. OP here said it is 2 per person per room. I'd imagine if there were 4 in a room you could get 8 items at one charge?

Whatever the final shakedown is, it is apparent that NCL isn't communicating clearly or implementing things mid cruise causing confusion and multiple varying reports.

Only one report that the $7.95 charge is for every two items. I would suspect that if this was true, there would have been a ton of complaints already. I didn't see anything on the menu, that said only 2 items per charge, so I don't think it is true, but time will tell.

I suspect that there was a misunderstanding between the room service person on the phone and the passenger, since it seems like they never placed and received an order.

I guess we will have to wait for more reports to come in before getting worked up about it.....but I'm betting on being able to order more than 2 items for the charge.

Edited by NLH Arizona

We did not run into this. Just off the Getaway and ordered room service once for dinner. We ordered an appetizer, entree, and dessert each with no problem.

Were there only 2 booked in your cabin?

No!! Really? I'm not sure I believe this.

Edited by SissasMomE

I think it's likely a misunderstanding. Perhaps they ordered 2 items and then ordered something else that carries an extra charge and just thought it was because it was their third item?

We just got off the Getaway yesterday and had ordered breakfast twice from room service. There were two of us in the cabin....we had eggs, bacon, potatoes, grilled tomatoes, fruit plate with yogurt dip, toast, danish, coffee, and juice. Each day it was only one fee of $7.95 and we certainly had more than two items each.

We just got off the Getaway yesterday and had ordered breakfast twice from room service. There were two of us in the cabin....we had eggs, bacon, potatoes, grilled tomatoes, fruit plate with yogurt dip, toast, danish, coffee, and juice. Each day it was only one fee of $7.95 and we certainly had more than two items each.

Many of those items are considered from the continental part of the menu, correct? They also consider bacon, potatoes, grilled tomatoes to be "side dishes" to the eggs so that may also explain it.

This charge they told me about was for lunch items where nothing is complimentary except certain beverages.

So you mean to tell me that me and my SIL can't each order:

Soup, Salad, a tuna sandwich, and an ice tea for each of us?

Harriet

So... if one orders yogurt, bagel w/ cream cheese, juice and coffee, they will pay 2 x $7.95? That is awful..

Of course, it is about money as everything on a cruise ship is about revenue but I think it is also about cutting crew. They are doing all they can to discourage room service without going totally orbital and discontinuing it. If they have hugely reduced number of orders, they need fewer room service stewards to deliver the orders. Fewer crew means more cutbacks.

If people are willing to pay 2 x $7.95 for the breakfast I described above, NCL will continue to 'sell' it.

So... if one orders yogurt, bagel w/ cream cheese, juice and coffee, they will pay 2 x $7.95? That is awful..

Of course, it is about money as everything on a cruise ship is about revenue but I think it is also about cutting crew. They are doing all they can to discourage room service without going totally orbital and discontinuing it. If they have hugely reduced number of orders, they need fewer room service stewards to deliver the orders. Fewer crew means more cutbacks.

If people are willing to pay 2 x $7.95 for the breakfast I described above, NCL will continue to 'sell' it.

I thought those were the items that would still be free. I would like to see what the new Room Service menu looks like, showing what is free (except for the tip) and what was an extra fee. We rarely order room service, maybe if we have an early excursion

This post might help answer your question, now they did order things not considered continental breakfast:

Posted by Pambo: We just got off the Getaway yesterday and had ordered breakfast twice from room service. There were two of us in the cabin....we had eggs, bacon, potatoes, grilled tomatoes, fruit plate with yogurt dip, toast, danish, coffee, and juice. Each day it was only one fee of $7.95 and we certainly had more than two items each.

I thought those were the items that would still be free. I would like to see what the new Room Service menu looks like, showing what is free (except for the tip) and what was an extra fee. We rarely order room service, maybe if we have an early excursion

The menu was posted somewhere here recently.

All food items on the menu are free, except for party platters and that type of thing. If there is a fee, it will be listed next to the item. The charge you incurr is the delivery fee of $7.95 per order, not per person. If 4 people in the cabin, you can order food for 4 and incur one $7.95 fee.

The Continental Breakfast is exempt from the RS fee, as are some complimentary beverages listed on the menu.

I think it's likely a misunderstanding. Perhaps they ordered 2 items and then ordered something else that carries an extra charge and just thought it was because it was their third item?

Let's hope this is the case and it's just a misunderstanding.

With the not allowing carry out from anywhere but the buffet though, it really wouldn't surprise me.

Especially with all the "order one of everything" comments that have been posted here... where we know NCL is watching. :(

OP may have been told 2 items but it meant two meals or entrées. I can see ordering 4 milks with only 3 in cabin. NCL doesn't want me to hold inventory for fear that it will go to waste, a legitimate concern.

In my defense a 13yo boy can easily devour 3-4 cartons of milk in a day, especially if there are cookies or cereal nearby.

I don't plan to use room service, but if my family wants it we'll pay any applicable fees and enjoy our vacation.

Limiting to two items per person would not surprise me. When people didn't want to pay for rs they went to O'Sheehans for take out and NCL stopped that. People figure if they are paying for rs they are going to combine orders. We use rs a lot and I was planning on placing one order, if any, since my sons are in another room. Coming out of my pocket so why should I have to pay for $15.90 when they are right next door. Now NCL will make sure this does not happen. They want the $$ and they are forcing people to pay. NCL seems to forget that almost all these passengers booked and paid when room service was free.