Passenger protest on Jewel of the Seas RE Puerto Vallarta

Wow - We are currently on the Jewel, and if I hadn't logged in to Cruise Critic I would not have known about this huge passenger protest! I'm sure there were many - particularly those with pre-arranged shore excursions - that may have decided to go to the guest relations desk to have their questions answered. Life on the ship goes on as normal.

Wow - We are currently on the Jewel, and if I hadn't logged in to Cruise Critic I would not have known about this huge passenger protest! I'm sure there were many - particularly those with pre-arranged shore excursions - that may have decided to go to the guest relations desk to have their questions answered. Life on the ship goes on as normal.

No riots in the Centrum?:confused:

No further announcements today (yet). It would have been nice to stay in Guatemala longer because we aren't in that much of a hurry to get to cabo with no stop now.

Just got off the Legends last week, as for Guatemala I could care less if I ever go back there again. I have never seen such a dirty place. It was also believed that the Noro Virus that hit the Legend and the Celebrity ship before our cruise got it when they were in Guatemala .

Last time in Guatemala, we were advised by the ship to not leave the compound due to danger of drug violence. Didn't really give me the warm and fuzzy feeling about Guatemala. We were in PV a few weeks ago. Lots of armed military patrolling the streets. We felt OK but then we only went downtown and didn't wander a lot.

was told the same about Panama , we were told to stay in a 4 block area for our safety.

First off, Jewel is not going to Ensenada for embarkation. Once she arrives in San Diego, she will proceed up Vancouver.

When a ship violates the PVSA act, there are more penalities assesed to the cruiseline besides the $300 fine per person.

When Ensenada is the embarkation port, all pax are bussed from San Diego to the terminal in Ensenada.

There was also a big fight a few years back with the Customs and Board Patrol about whether Ensenda was considered a foreign port for Hawaii and other Pacific crusies. The CBP wanted stops in foreign ports to be 48 hours, which would have devasted the cruise industry. The issue was settled but the PVSA is a stupid law and but cruise ships sill have to comply.

I am currently on Jewel of the Seas. We were sitting in the Centrum Lobby on Deck 4 yesterday when all the people were supposedly crowding the Guest Services desk. I saw no such thing, and according to the OP, I was there when it took place. Regardless of that fact, ports of call get canceled frequently, for too many reasons to list here. It is a fact of travel that things happen that cause schedule changes.

There is no reason to question the decision that two governments have made regarding the travel advisories. Liability becomes an issue, and no company wants to second-guess what might or might not happen.

This is all a tempest in a teapot. JMO

I am currently on Jewel of the Seas. We were sitting in the Centrum Lobby on Deck 4 yesterday when all the people were supposedly crowding the Guest Services desk. I saw no such thing, and according to the OP, I was there when it took place. Regardless of that fact, ports of call get canceled frequently, for too many reasons to list here. It is a fact of travel that things happen that cause schedule changes.

There is no reason to question the decision that two governments have made regarding the travel advisories. Liability becomes an issue, and no company wants to second-guess what might or might not happen.

Thank you for your info. Hope you are enjoying your cruise. I agree ports missed all the time. Never seen a protest about it either!

What I don't get from op is why if the announcement was made at 9:15 am they had the protest at 4pm? I guess everyone involved decided to enjoy their day at sea first:D

Edited by Spurschick

Karen, I thought you would have been the one leading the protest. :D

Andrew

I don't know about the USA but if Canada issues a Travel Advisory and we still go there, our Travel Insurance will not cover us if anything happens.

We are onboard and have not heard anything about this event. iF there were 100 pax making an issue of it, I think the word "protest" might be a little strong! I have not seen or heard of anyone carrying any signs,marching around theship, or chanting anything! :D

And if they didnt cancel and god forbid something happened to someone there would be hell to pay for not cancelling after the US gave a warning

Exactly. I so agree with you. Those areas sound dicey with all the crime problems over the years anyway.

http://www.vallartadaily.com/jalisoco-governor-confirms-attacks-in-state-are-cartel-organized/

You don't want to drop 2000 people into an area where people may take excursions into the countryside and not get back. Even if the cruise line doesn't sell excursions to the outlying areas, a lot of people would book independently. If there was an issue on one of these excursions (and some excursion buses in other ports have been hijacked), the cruise line would be blamed anyway.

The captain makes the decision and that's fine by me. We have had events on cruises that have resulted in itinerary changes, diversion from scheduled ports, etc. A lot of people complain, but once they realized why the decision was made, they generally calm down.

You also have to realize that they are putting ashore 2 - 3000 people (larger than my hometown). If you found it difficult rounding up your family and getting them from one place to another, try herding that many people.

Just got off the Legends last week, as for Guatemala I could care less if I ever go back there again. I have never seen such a dirty place...

As a teenager I hitch hiked through Guatemala (freighter from Honduras, then by land from there to the Yucatan for a while, then through Mexico City to U.S.). Back to Guatemala for a couple of visits since. Poor country, huge disparity in wealth between the six families and all the rest. But lovely welcoming people in the countryside. And such beautiful countryside!

Stan

Very funny, Andrew. :D :D I tend to fly under the radar, if you know what I mean. And I do not have a high enough pay grade to make these decisions. :rolleyes: :)

I thought they could have tempted you with some of the Willy Wonka Pie, to lead the uprising. :D

Have a great day.