Passenger protest on Jewel of the Seas RE Puerto Vallarta

Just more than 100 passengers protested the cancellation of the Puerto Vallarta stop on the Jewel of Seas Panama Canal trip.

The protest started at 4pm ship's time and lasted until just past 5:15pm.

The passengers were upset that the ship was no stopping in Puerto Vallarta after Captain Thore made an announcement just past 9am. The protest started with passengers gathering at the Guest Relations desk on the fourth floor. There were approximately 35 passengers crowding the desk wanting answers.

They were asked to move to the ship's Conference Room on the fifth floor. But by the time the crowd arrived, the group had swelled to more than 60 people and the meeting was moved to the Coral Theater, where eventually slightly more than 100 passengers had gathered.

Most of the passengers who were upset were Latinos and a ship's representative spoke in Spanish to them. There was a question and answer session at the end of the talk.

There were several security guards present, but at no time were there any confrontations with peaceful protest. Passengers were allowed to video tape the protest and talk.

The ship's representative explained that both the US and Canadian Governments had issued travel warnings due to drug cartel violence in the area and that Royal had deemed that it would not potentially put at risk passengers or crew.

The ship is going to refund any port taxes and excursions that had already been booked to passengers.

It is also looking at staying longer in Cabo San Lucas, its next port of call after Puerto Vallarta, but because passengers have to tender, their are some arrangements that would have to be made with the the tender operators.

The next port of call is Guatemala tomorrow.

I for one am glad people onboard spoke up and wanted answer's and hopefully got them. RCI seems very quick to pull the plug on the Mexican ports...however never when violence has happened in the caribbean :confused:

I don't think the passengers were entirely satisfied, but it was a very peaceful exchange. There were plenty of crew around and they were all polite and smiles.

Someone pointed out that Mexico has a lot of drug cartel violence but we are still going to Cabo and Ensenada, but the ship's spokesperson said those areas are safe.

One item that was mentioned by the ship was that while PV city was probably safe, the excursions outside could be subject to random violence. One passenger said to me, that they could have cancelled those excursions as an alternative.

We've been there (and Mazatlan and Cabo in 2007) and we said never again. The ports just didn't do anything for us, not to mention heavily armed police at every single port. Even when ports are cancelled due to things completely out of the cruiselines control, people will complain. We found Cabo to feel the safest of the three ports.

I for one am glad people onboard spoke up and wanted answer's and hopefully got them. RCI seems very quick to pull the plug on the Mexican ports...however never when violence has happened in the caribbean :confused:

I agree. Having read the advisories, (http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings.html)

as a tourist, I would be much more concerned going to Roatan than Puerto Vallarta.

The crime rate in Nassau is also very high, with recent incidents targeting tourists.

And I'm sure all the protesters would not hesitate to lawyer up the second they experienced any of the violence had the port not been cancelled. Don't these idiots realize these things are being done for their safety.

Let them all off then ... let them get kidnapped as they roam the streets of "beautiful Puerto Vallarta" ... or get a grenade thrown at them ... or watch a police officer getting beheaded by some drug cartel member

Sure .. its a VERRRRRY safe place ... go ahead ... enjoy.

Let them all off then ... let them get kidnapped as they roam the streets of "beautiful Puerto Vallarta" ... or get a grenade thrown at them ... or watch a police officer getting beheaded by some drug cartel member

Sure .. its a VERRRRRY safe place ... go ahead ... enjoy.

Good answer.

Seriously? Heavy drug cartel and violence and people still wanted the ship to stop there?

Fine, I say, let the ship stop, let all of them all off that want off and then continue onto safer passage. :rolleyes:

Maybe they were "mules" going to pick up their "loads" from the cartel?:cool:

Crime numbers are worse in Baltimore, Miami, FLL, .......

List can go on and on.

No excuse to cancel. If you don 't want to go ashore - stay aboard.

......I guess I missed the beheadings that occurred in Baltimore. No Coke, No Peace.......

Yes I do thank you. Why do I have a blanket on my head? I don't even know what that means.:confused:

Sorry it went over your head; AKA burying your head in the sand; AKA denial isn't just a river in Africa; AKA .............

You may want to get out more - there is life out there.

Edited by Beachin2

I personally think Rccl did the right thing! What is wrong with people?? There are travel warnings for a reason. So you should go against warnings maybe get into trouble say kidnapped and then young men have to risk their own safety and lives to rescue you. All for what? A day in port? People need to wake up. There is so much unrest in the world and you are being warned not everyone gets the heads up or warning so be smart stay away!!! The captain the cruise line any line has a responsibility to all its passengers and crew no questions asked safety first. Would you protest if you missed a port due to a storm? Any and all ports of call can be altered or canceled as the captain sees fit. As it should be. Safe travel to all

OK - this next Thursday 5/14/15 the Legend will leave on a 10 night cruise to Hawaii leaving from - GASP - Mexico!

2,076 passengers (a completely sold out ship) most with USA, by God, greenback cash in their pockets will be put on MEXICAN buses from the San Diego pier and driven a few hours through MEXICO (Tijuana) to the ship so that RC can save $300 a nose in fines for violating the PVSA.

Yea, RC is real worried about Mexico.

BTW - I'm on that cruise and I'm very OK with it.

Sometimes RC gets the "brown flu" when it is very convenient for them and keeps the revenue on board.

Edited by Beachin2

Jalisco: Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, and Lake Chapala are major cities/travel destinations in Jalisco – Exercise caution throughout the state, particularly in rural areas and when using secondary highways. Violent clashes between criminal organizations and government authorities, and related disturbances including barricades of burning vehicles blocking major roads and highways, are ongoing concerns that typically occur without notice. Defer non-essential travel to areas of the state that border the states of Michoacán and Zacatecas. The security situation along the Michoacán and Zacatecas borders continues to be unstable. U.S. government personnel are authorized to use Federal toll road 15D for travel to Mexico City; however, they may not stop in the town of La Barca for any reason. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from personal travel to areas of Jalisco that border Zacatecas, and are prohibited from intercity travel at night.

Yikes!