Passenger protest on Jewel of the Seas RE Puerto Vallarta

RC did the right thing on this one. Going to Cabo is not the same at all as to what's going on around Puerto Vallarta. All of Mexico is not the same as to what's happening in this area right now.

I can't believe people are angry they won't be getting to go to a town that's got cartels fighting over the past few days. RCCL should give them wifi for a few minutes to google or see the news over the past few days.

The US and Canadian Governments are requesting no "non-essential" travel, I'd consider a cruise docking and excursions non-essential when lives and safety are at stake. RCCL was so right to listen to the travel warnings.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/mexico-cartel-clashes-worry-canadian-tourists-1.2359460

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/mexico

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-elections-violence-20150507-story.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/puerto-vallarta-tourists-warned-about-more-violence-in-mexico-1.3059308

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadians-in-mexico-warned-to-limit-movements-beware-gang-violence-1.2357832

Canadian and American visitors to Mexico are being told to be on alert in the country's popular Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara areas, where violence between drug cartels and police has intensified in recent days.

The Embassy of Canada in Mexico has issued a warning advising Canadian travellers to "limit their movements" in the state of Jalisco, on Mexico's west coast. "Narco-blockades have been affecting areas in and around Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara," the embassy said in a Facebook post.

Canadians in Jalisco are being told to remain vigilant and stay in touch with their emergency contacts in Canada. "Local authorities have advised to remain at home," the embassy said. "Avoid demonstrations and large gatherings."

The U.S. embassy in Mexico has issued a similar warning to its citizens.

At least nine people were killed in cartel-related violence in Jalisco on Friday, Mexican security officials said. Banks and gas stations were burned, and cartel members forced a military helicopter down using a rocket-propelled grenade.

Edited by adjjb12

If you don't like the fact that a ship can deviate for whatever reason, fly there and make your own plans. Then you are in control. We have missed ports for multiple reasons with different cruise lines and never complained about it, because we are at the mercy of the captain and their command for our safety.

I am sure if given the chance, the cruisers that were shot to death this March in Tunisia would have gladly deviated if they had any knowledge that their tour would have ended the way it did. I know the cruise lines would have. However, there still would have been those on board the ship and at home on dry land complaining about a missed port.

Travel anywhere, even to get milk at your corner store can end up deadly. That is part of life. You can't hide your head in the sand or under a towel as one CCer said, which is a new one to me. Even the best decision can have a negative ending. However, a major part of cruise life is you are under the Captain's control. Unless you have never cruised before you already know this, unless your head is under a towel (hope I used that expression the right way ;) ). If you really want to go somewhere specific, for a holiday, fly there. If you are on a ship there is always a chance that you might not get there for a multitude of reasons. If you gotta get there, take command of your own life and stop cruising.

We all wake every day to put on our pants and slog on. We slog to work, or better yet some slog to do little in their retired life. I can't wait for that day. I am not going to book a cruise that sails through the Gulf of Aden any time soon, nor am I going to go back in time and sail on the Achillie Lauro. If I am to die on my holiday that is what the fates have in the cards for me. However, if RC skips a port I am not going to fret about it because I am on vacation.

Edited by A&L_Ont

And I'm sure all the protesters would not hesitate to lawyer up the second they experienced any of the violence had the port not been cancelled. Don't these idiots realize these things are being done for their safety.

They should all sign a release exempting RCL if anything happened to them.

Once you're a passenger on the ship, the Captain is in charge. His decision(RCL) is final.

Whether it was necessary to cancel the port or not is mute since the Captain can do as he pleases.(or as RCL directs him to)

I also see nothing wrong with asking why, in the way which these passengers seemed to have done.

Were some passengers disappointed, most likely yes.

Were some passengers OK with the decision after RCL told them why, most likely yes.

It seems to have bothered more people here on 'both sides of the issue' with some of the rhetoric in this thread, then it bothered the passengers!:eek:

RCL had the right to cancel the port, and the passengers had the right to ask why.

My opinion is RCL, and the passengers handled the situation properly.:)

Happy cruising.:)

I travel extensively to Mexico for work (Dept. Homeland Security). About a week or so ago, any and all travel we had scheduled in the State of Jalisco which includes Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara has been canceled by our agency until further notice. Yet we can travel to Juarez. So if the cruise ship cancelled Puerto Vallarta, be happy, I'm sure they have good intelligence to do so.

BTW, I did the Mexican Riviera on the Navigator years ago. Puerto Vallarta was not all that, and I would have been thrilled to spend two days in Cabo which I loved.

I'm a Federal employee who has to get pre-approval for any travel outside the US and it's territories. We can be forbidden or just warned about any location at any time. There are different levels of travel warnings and you better believe I pay attention to them.

These people need to also remember they agreed to the cruiseline's rules and the fact that a port can be cancelled at anytime for any reason. And, the Captain has the ultimate responsibility for all onboard.

Edited by BND

OK - this next Thursday 5/14/15 the Legend will leave on a 10 night cruise to Hawaii leaving from - GASP - Mexico!

2,076 passengers (a completely sold out ship) most with USA, by God, greenback cash in their pockets will be put on MEXICAN buses from the San Diego pier and driven a few hours through MEXICO (Tijuana) to the ship so that RC can save $300 a nose in fines for violating the PVSA.

Yea, RC is real worried about Mexico.

BTW - I'm on that cruise and I'm very OK with it.

Sometimes RC gets the "brown flu" when it is very convenient for them and keeps the revenue on board.

What a ridiculous comment.

You have probably no idea about the logistics about missing a port and I highly doubt this will generate any Revenue to their bottom line.

An additional day at sea instead of a port is a nightmare for Captain officers and crew onboard. They have to reschedule about everything. Routine maintenance can´t be performed as planned, activities have to be rescheduled, in some instances taking on Provision and/or bunkering fuel has to be rescheduled, Food preparations and logistics have to reviewed as now all passengers will be aboard for lunch and Snacks throughout the day......

As for Revenue, yes there will be spent some Money in the Shops, but it´s questionable if the average spending on this will actually increase for the entire cruise compared to one with no itinerary Change. Drink consumption may be up, but at least those with a package won´t spend more. Those with packages might spend some more, but will this Offset the loss in Revenue from shore excursions? Will this Offset the extra costs the rescheduling all of the above requires? They probably still have to pay some to the tour companies that were contracted for shore excursions.

Do you really think RCI could just decide to pay a $300 per Person "fee" and intentionally violate the PVSA? Do you really think the government will allow this itinerary and simply say, it´s ok we will write you a bill?

Sorry but your post simply does not make any sense and every clear thinking Person can see this.

Even if people sign releases, they can and will sue, and can and will win.

Beachin2, where do they bus you to? I've never heard of this. Is there a travel warning for that port? (I'm not being sarcastic--just curious).

I think RC was in a no win situation. I think they had to cancel because as someone said, what if something happened if they didn't.

Sometimes RC gets the "brown flu" when it is very convenient for them and keeps the revenue on board.

I can't believe I just read this nonsense. You should go work for one of the national news networks with this type of sensationalism.

The west coast of Mexico houses some of the world's most violent drug trafficking organizations who are notorious for kidnappings, dismemberment, decapitation, disembowelment, etc. The demographic of those gangs is no one's doing but their own. To suggest a major cruise carrier who employs people from all of the world of all different colors, creeds, nationalities, etc is racist has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on Cruise Critic. :rolleyes:

Beachin2, where do they bus you to? I've never heard of this. Is there a travel warning for that port? (I'm not being sarcastic--just curious).

I think RC was in a no win situation. I think they had to cancel because as someone said, what if something happened if they didn't.

Releases have basically become useless as people sue regardless and juries award damages. A cruiseship is not a democracy and what the Captain decides is what will happen. Ultimately, he is held responsible and to err on the side of caution is best for everyone.

I travel extensively to Mexico for work (Dept. Homeland Security). About a week or so ago, any and all travel we had scheduled in the State of Jalisco which includes Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara has been canceled by our agency until further notice. Yet we can travel to Juarez. So if the cruise ship cancelled Puerto Vallarta, be happy, I'm sure they have good intelligence to do so.

BTW, I did the Mexican Riviera on the Navigator years ago. Puerto Vallarta was not all that, and I would have been thrilled to spend two days in Cabo which I loved.

....I suspect you also "have a blanket on your head"........;)

P.S. Thank you for your service.:)

2,076 passengers (a completely sold out ship) most with USA, by God, greenback cash in their pockets will be put on MEXICAN buses from the San Diego pier and driven a few hours through MEXICO (Tijuana) to the ship so that RC can save $300 a nose in fines for violating the PVSA.

First off, Jewel is not going to Ensenada for embarkation. Once she arrives in San Diego, she will proceed up Vancouver.

When a ship violates the PVSA act, there are more penalities assesed to the cruiseline besides the $300 fine per person.

When Ensenada is the embarkation port, all pax are bussed from San Diego to the terminal in Ensenada.

Edited by cruisenfever

But then they also Need to be Held responsible for any damage that might occur to the ship, the crew and those Pax that did not sign the waiver:eek:

I can't believe I just read this nonsense. You should go work for one of the national news networks with this type of sensationalism.

The west coast of Mexico houses some of the world's most violent drug trafficking organizations who are notorious for kidnappings, dismemberment, decapitation, disembowelment, etc. The demographic of those gangs is no one's doing but their own. To suggest a major cruise carrier who employs people from all of the world of all different colors, creeds, nationalities, etc is racist has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on Cruise Critic. :rolleyes:

It was ridiculous .. and it sounds like the person who posted it is one of those who walks around with a giant chip on their shoulder .. just waiting for any chance they get to wedge it into white society's neck.

RC is racist ... uh ... ya ... ok. :rolleyes:

First off, Jewel is not going to Ensenada for embarkation. Once she arrives in San Diego, she will proceed up Vancouver.

I believe that poster was speaking about Legend.

Skipping one port due to a State Department advisory was IMO the prudent thing to do, as much as I dislike the "we should never set foot in Western Mexico" frenzy that pops up perodically. And there are few, if any, ships calling on the MR at this time of year, so with any luck the advisory will be lifted before the fall season commences.

It was ridiculous .. and it sounds like the person who posted it is one of those who walks around with a giant chip on their shoulder .. just waiting for any chance they get to wedge it into white society's neck.

RC is racist ... uh ... ya ... ok. :rolleyes:

a "Diamond +" maybe?:D

And if they didnt cancel and god forbid something happened to someone there would be hell to pay for not cancelling after the US gave a warning

Amen to that! It's unfortunately a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

No further announcements today (yet). It would have been nice to stay in Guatemala longer because we aren't in that much of a hurry to get to cabo with no stop now.

Last time in Guatemala, we were advised by the ship to not leave the compound due to danger of drug violence. Didn't really give me the warm and fuzzy feeling about Guatemala. We were in PV a few weeks ago. Lots of armed military patrolling the streets. We felt OK but then we only went downtown and didn't wander a lot.