Tipping Canadians in US dollars

auntjoy036

I always have a little of the local currency with me to get me through the first day. But, as some of the "natives" have said, a tip in $US in a Canadian town would be OK. I would preface it with "I'm sorry, I only have $US right now, may I offer a tip in $US" or something like that.

I had an experience at my hotel last year: I did a quick sew-on of a button for a guest. He did exactly what I said above - he apologized and said he only had EUs on him as he just landed, was on his was to a meeting after checking in at the hotel and didn't have time to get to an ATM. He asked if I would take the EUs. I said I would - He gave me 40EU as a tip!!! If he had $US, I probably would have been given a $5 at most. I used that 40EU last month in Italy….

Calgarians: I have only brought the fine Canadian currency with me when I have visited your fine city at least once a year (one of my favorite cities anywhere). But, from now on, I'll remember to bring some of Uncle Sam's currency for tips ;-)

Edited by slidergirl

I think they'd be delighted as the US $ is trading (as of today) for $1.20 Canadian. So if you tip someone $5, and they go exchange it at a bank, it's $6 Canadian.

In a previous post I commented that there is a hassle factor involved in taking $1, or $5 or $10 US to the bank to exchange for Cdn $. Using your example, let's say it is 10 minutes to get to the bank, and another 10 minutes waiting for teller service. At least where I live, exchanging currency must be done with a teller. And another 10 minutes to get back to your point of origin. The person has now invested 30 minutes for $1. Bad use of resources IMHO :) If they just spend the $5 US, they will likely receive a value of $5 Cdn. So that is a wash, certainly no bonanza.

If they hoard the US cash until they have a good amount of it (likely but not guaranteed over the course of a tourist season) it does make sense to go to the bank to convert it to Cdn currency. But taking $5 to exchange? Not a lot of sense in that IMHO.

Okay folks lets be clear - it's not all Calgarians who are opposed; just me obviously.

Many Canadians, regardless of where we reside, appreciate when visitors make an effort to respect that they are visiting a foreign country :) I watched one visitor demand that a small coffee shop not only accept his $100 US bill, but give him his change in US currency. That's not respect. That wins no points from the locals :eek: When he was told that there was a bank right next door where he could change his US $ for Canadian, he became even more abusive.

But this thread started out about using US cash for a couple of smallish tips in Canada, and IMHO US cash is fine for that.

Many Canadians, regardless of where we reside, appreciate when visitors make an effort to respect that they are visiting a foreign country :) I watched one visitor demand that a small coffee shop not only accept his $100 US bill, but give him his change in US currency. That's not respect. That wins no points from the locals :eek: When he was told that there was a bank right next door where he could change his US $ for Canadian, he became even more abusive.

But this thread started out about using US cash for a couple of smallish tips in Canada, and IMHO US cash is fine for that.

He was an obnoxious A-hole and they should have refused him service completely.

If you are flying into Vancouver just stop at an ATM in the airport and get a small amount of cash. I assume Vancouver airport has ATMs? :confused:

Well that's a BIG assumption..................

that Vancouver has an airport.:p

The probloem is the smallest Canadian bill you can get is $5. Their $1 and $2 denominations are coins. So you won't be able to order those ahead of time at your local US bank.

The US dollar is very easy for Canadians to convert. Most if not all Canadian banks carry US Dollars. So if someone wants to buy US Dollars at a Canadian bank they don't have to wait for an order to come in like if you wanted to buy Canadian Dollars at a US bank.

They will happily take your US dollars for tips and would actually prefer it to their Loonie...

Perhaps some, but please - not all. Yes it does necessitate a trip to the bank to change it up, and most people hardly ever go into a bank anymore.

I went to the local Canadian Legion in White Rock, a town just outside of Vancouver. The cook there told me he preferred to be paid in US dollars. I think you would be hard pressed to find any service provider in the greater Vancouver area that would be offended if you offered US dollars as either payment or tips.

That is likely because White Rock is right on the border and the cook probably goes across to the border to shop quite often.;)

How kind of you to speak on behalf of an entire country that you don't live in. I would much prefer to get loonies thank you very much!

LOL. Rather ironic. While I live in Ohio now, I was born in Ontario Canada and spent the first 25 years of my life there. I have actually lived in Canada longer than I lived in the USA. So while I am speaking on behalf of a country, I am still a Canadian.

Not sure why if someone was handing you $120 you would not take that over $100. With the US$ being worth about $1.20 Canadian, you would be losing $20 if you were tipped $1 by one hundred times.

I worked in an industry in Canada where tips were the norm, not food service, but would make about $20 in tips on a good night. US$ were just as easy to convert and deposit in to my Canadian bank account as CAN$. I happily took UD$ over the Loonie. Though I would have rather had a Toonie over one UD$.

Edited by dioxide45

OP--

If it concerns you the auto club has 'tip packs' available. Or you could get a small amount of Cdn at an airport ATM.

(FWIW I live in California)

Edited by SadieN

Thank you, everyone, for this robust and informative discussion. Perhaps I'll plan to pay cash for meals in Vancouver, making a bank trip beforehand or ATM stop at the airport worthwhile.

Now, about cash for onboard tips . . . (just kidding).

Vicki

Somewhat related question. First trip to Canada coming up so please forgive my ignorance. I'm planning on getting some Canadian $$ for tips etc... Regardless so this is just because I'm curious. Would a place like mcdonalds or Tim Hortons take USD?

Thanks

[/b]

Perhaps some, but please - not all. Yes it does necessitate a trip to the bank to change it up, and most people hardly ever go into a bank anymore.

:confused: I know of many people who still go to the bank on a regular basis.

Somewhat related question. First trip to Canada coming up so please forgive my ignorance. I'm planning on getting some Canadian $$ for tips etc... Regardless so this is just because I'm curious. Would a place like mcdonalds or Tim Hortons take USD?

Thanks

Around here they would but they exchange rate may not be very good or non-existent and your change might be in Canadian funds.

Thanks

Yes, they both accept U.S. dollars in tourist cities.

You don't say if you are cruising East or West Coast Canada.

That is likely because White Rock is right on the border and the cook probably goes across to the border to shop quite often.;)

LOL. That is exactly why. I just thought the Legion connection was funny. I was born and raised in Canada but have lived most of my adult life in the US. I have traveled back and forth many many times and I can tell you everywhere I have gone they have taken US dollars. Sometimes at par, sometimes at their own very slanted exchange rate. Even the RCMP office will taken US - they just don't do exchange rates :D. One thing that Canadians commonly have that US does not have is being able to have both a US and CDN fund bank account. I had both for years. Some of my money went in to both accounts every month so I could pay my US bills with my CDN/US account. Banking in Canada is very different then banking in the US.

It really isn't a big deal for someone in Vancouver (I can't speak for other cities) to get a US dollar. As others have said that person would either keep it, change it over to a friend or save it until they make a trip to their branch.

Thanks

As others have said most places in tourist areas will take $U.S. cash. But don't expect a great exchange rate vs. what you would get at a bank. Today's rate at my bank is $1.157 or 16% premium for a U.D. dollar. At a local Tim Horton's you might get a 10% premium today i.e. your $1 would get you $1.10 CDN. No big deal if your a planning to spend only a few bucks but it will add up the more you buy.

Edited by DirtyDawg

My feelings date back to when I made the horrendous mistake of having one Canadian penny in the change I was giving a merchant in Whitefish (not far from the border). He literally threw it at my face and nearly hit me in the eye. If Canadians in the tourist business are willing to take foreign currency as tips, or as payment that's their right.

I agree. I accidently laid down a Canadian nickel one time and it was pushed back to me by the tip of a fingernail, with a nasty retort. You would have thought it was contaminated by bubonic plague germs. If someone wants to take your American dollars - fine, their choice, but is it really so inconvenient to get $100 Canadian to use for tips. Just good manners.

I agree. I accidently laid down a Canadian nickel one time and it was pushed back to me by the tip of a fingernail, with a nasty retort.

I am sure many Canadians have had that happen over the years but why stoop to their level

:rolleyes: