Radiance class ships - smaller?

I'm going from Freedom-class to Radiance-class and I'm wondering if people find the smaller ships as interesting?

I have time to rebook so I'm just wondering if anyone could compare the two or if I'll even notice the difference. Comparing ship-to-ship looks like I'd 'loose' a few things going from Freedom to Radiance - i.e. Flowrider, JohnnyRockets, fewer shops/clubs, ice rink etc

But conversely are these Radiance ships also geared less towards families with kids? The Centrum on the Jewel also looks like a nice place to relax and grab a coffee.

I'm going from Freedom-class to Radiance-class and I'm wondering if people find the smaller ships as interesting?

I have time to rebook so I'm just wondering if anyone could compare the two or if I'll even notice the difference. Comparing ship-to-ship looks like I'd 'loose' a few things going from Freedom to Radiance - i.e. Flowrider, JohnnyRockets, fewer shops/clubs, ice rink etc

But conversely are these Radiance ships also geared less towards families with kids? The Centrum on the Jewel also looks like a nice place to relax and grab a coffee.

Along with those things you listed, there also will not be a Royal Promenade on Radiance class. Not sure how big a deal that is to you but the Centrum is nice though and the Solariums on those ships are my favorite so far.

With that said, she is a beautiful ship with plenty to do. A lot of people love Radiance class and its their favorite. To me, while Freedom offers much more, Radiance is more "elegant" IMHO. Lots of glass, brass and wood. Beautiful ships they are.

Just try not to compare and go in with an open mind. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by ryano

We have found there is something to enjoy on every class of ship. You will love the many views to the outside on Radiance class. Plus, the outdoor Windjammer seating is very nice.

Edited by clarea

We find the Radiance class ships more crowded. They are much narrower than the Freedom class ships (185 ft vs 106 ft) which allows for no Royal Promanade and tighter spaces near the shops. We sail the Radiance class for the itineraries, not so much the ship. They are beautiful ships with a great outdoor area in the WJ and lots of large windows in some of the bars but just not our favorite.

Edited by reallyitsmema

We find the Radiance class ships more crowded. They are much narrower than the Freedom class ships (185 ft vs 106 ft) which allows for no Royal Promanade and tighter spaces near the shops. We sail the Radiance class for the itineraries, not so much the ship. They are beautiful ships with a great outdoor area in the WJ and lots of large windows in some of the bars but just not our favorite.

On my two cruises on Radiance class ships, I have never found that to be the case. :)

Radiance class are fantastic ships. Full of natural light and places to sit inside overlooking the sea. We also loved Park cafe and the outdoor eating area at Windjammer. The shopping area was compact and the MDR had more tables packed in than on Freedom class. But other than that, I can't find any downsides.

On my two cruises on Radiance class ships, I have never found that to be the case. :)

Neither did I. :) Im a wheelchair bound cruiser and I felt much more crowded on Freedom than on Radiance. More elevator issues on Freedom too IMHO.

I do feel a bit claustrophobic in the shops area on Radiance and Vision class ships. However, the rest of the ship does not feel crowded to me.

I agree that the shops area feels more crowded, but the rest of the ship does not.

There is plenty to do on the Radiance class ships. We've really enjoyed them. Sitting in the Centrum with a drink and watching the people, and live music is a favorite thing for us to do.

There are still plenty of families and kids on these ships as well. We've never felt over run by them, but they are still there.

Neither did I. :) Im a wheelchair bound cruiser and I felt much more crowded on Freedom than on Radiance. More elevator issues on Freedom too IMHO.

Well, we sailed Jewel on a member's cruise that also had a large, young adult autism on the seas group on the sailing. The crown and anchor member numbers on that cruise were just crazy. Any event was standing room only. The autism group had an area of the theater reserved for them and an area of the WJ. Part of the issue on that cruise was the group using the elevator lobby as a meeting spot which just bottlenecked everything.

Our Brilliance cruise was better but was on a revitalized Brilliance with the aerial entertainment in the Centrum. People dragged chairs from the R bar and other venues to get closer to the balcony railing and the whole area was impassable as people waited for the shows and during the shows. WJ was tough to find a seat at any meal except dinner since they cut it up so much. Schooner Bar was crazy for trivia, with people arriving very, very early to reserve seats. Saw many nasty confrontations over saving chairs.

Have Jewel booked again for a west coast cruise this fall, 8 night only one sea day so will be off the ship more than on, so life should be good.:)

I agree that the shops area feels more crowded, but the rest of the ship does not.

Agreed, the shops on Radiance class can get crowded but IMHO, no more crowded than the Royal Promenade when they put out all those tables of watches or food and the masses gather :) At least not to me anyway. It seemed much easier to grab a table in the Windjammer on Radiance than on Freedom as well.

Edited by ryano

We enjoy the Radiance Class ships for the views of the ocean and although it can get a bit crowded going through the shop area especially after shows, it flows quickly. We enjoyed the Freedom Class for the parades on the Royal Promenade and service on each have been very good to excellant. The Radiance Class ships are a perfect size, not to small & not to large.

I have only been on Brilliance of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas, and if given the same itinerary's I would pick the Brilliance every time. I had a good time on the Liberty, but we enjoyed just about everything on Brilliance more.

I have only been on Brilliance of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas, and if given the same itinerary's I would pick the Brilliance every time. I had a good time on the Liberty, but we enjoyed just about everything on Brilliance more.

Please elaborate MiniChunks. Even if its just a highlight of what was better? Crowd density, wait staff, spa services, easier access to activities, better shows?

We are going back 10 years, but i felt that the crew was far more attentive. There are fewer people, so i felt that you had more of a connection with the other passengers. You saw more of the same people everyday. I loved the layout of the ship. I cant remember what the name of the bar or area was, but there were hors-d'oeuvres served in the late afternoon. Its looking like that is Vintages now. The solarium was a great place to hang out if you arent a fan of the crowds/kids at the regular pool. I will agree that the shops are a bit crowded/claustrophobic, but that didn't take away from my experience. The Royal Promenade doesnt really do anything for me, so its not a big deal to me that Radiance class ships don't have it. I just had a better overall cruise on Brilliance(not counting the itinerary)

We have never found the crowd to be too bad strictly because of the ship, rather it was related to the time of year/popularity.

In any case, Radiance class has a couple of unique features that we really liked. The Centrum elevators were nice. Funny how some people would react to the statues behind the elevators. Guess they weren't expecting to see anything there and thought they were people or something? Anyway, our favourite is having lunch on port day in the outdoor area on the windjammer.

Our favorite class is Radiance - we have enjoyed Radiance, Jewel, and Brilliance. If the big bells and whistles are most important to you, Freedom will suit you better, but for beautiful, relaxing cruises, we feel Radiance class is superior.

We have been on Freedom several times and enjoy it, but at busy times of the year we have found the area between the elevators and the Windjammer completely clogged with people. We have never felt crowded on Radiance class.

The solarium and the outdoor WJ eating area are also plusses for Radiance class.

Whatever you decide, happy cruising!

Margy

Freedom fan here, looking forward to seeing the new changes. Did Brilliance in Med 5 years ago, before refit. On ship 12 nights and I really don't remember anything about it but the rotating bar. Will sail her 4 nights this fall. Hopefully it will all come back

Radiance class may be smaller in size but definitely not in Wow factor. In fact in beauty it ranks #1 in my book...no offense to the other superb RCI ships. I've done both Jewel and Brilliance they are simply massive yachts. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

Edited by leinhto