Azamara Club Cruises Reveals Extensive Changes for its Two Ships

LauraS

Hands up, I was very doubtful that the proposed changes would be shelved but am now delighted that the outdoor area remains and is to be refurbished.

Thanks for the news Bonnie, it is an area beloved of Azamara fans and generates many worldwide friendships and repeat "meeting place" cruises.

Once the rest of the changes are in place the ships will be stunning and a just reward for all the hugely loyal staff who have been the cornerstone of the success of Azamara, and are more than employees to those of us who cruise on Azamara.

Congratulations to Mr P. and Azamara for a sound business decision and listening to your supporters.

I, for one, am actually disappointed with this news. I was looking forward to having an Asian specialty restaurant. On the cruises I've been on, this area was not much used in the evening -- perhaps because of the itineraries, which led to many cool-ish evenings, or perhaps because at the time smoking was allowed there (this was several years ago). While my wife and I loved the casual buffets and ate there often, I think we only ate in the outdoor area once. Perhaps we'll use it more often on our upcoming cruise, where temperature shouldn't be an issue (and now that smoking isn't allowed).

But I will definitely miss the Asian restaurant. That was one aspect of the refurbishment we were both looking forward to. Now that the Sunset Bar will remain open, perhaps Kibo could be located in the upgraded Pool Bar area instead. I'd hate to see the entire concept thrown away.

I completely agree with you. We were very excited about the concept of this Asian alternative venue. It seemed like a good fit to bring some exotic dining options into Azamara's (generally good), but homogenous offerings. However, we loved Azamara before without Kibo, so I know we will still love it. As you said, not everyone can be pleased by everything.

While I think it's nice that Azamara listens to its guests, I also think that they are creating an environment of entitled whiny guests who stomp their feet and pout at every little change and expect the cruise line to completely alter their agenda to satisfy. There's a difference between good customer service and becoming a total doormat to people's complaining.

Now that the whole Kibo issue is over and done with, I'm really excited about seeing the whole portfolio of changes on board. These have been discussed ad nauseam and I can't wait to finally see each venue and stateroom change. These ships are going to be beautiful and the renovations are a main reason that we are looking to stay strictly with Azamara for the foreseeable future. Before the renovations were announced, we were thisclose to switching over to Seabourn's beautiful fleet, but nothing can really compare with the caring onboard atmosphere of Azamara.

Michael

Edited by TxnAquarian

I completely agree with you. We were very excited about the concept of this Asian alternative venue. It seemed like a good fit to bring some exotic dining options into Azamara's (generally good), but homogenous offerings. However, we loved Azamara before without Kibo, so I know we will still love it. As you said, not everyone can be pleased by everything.

While I think it's nice that Azamara listens to its guests, I also think that they are creating an environment of entitled whiny guests who stomp their feet and pout at every little change and expect the cruise line to completely alter their agenda to satisfy. There's a difference between good customer service and becoming a total doormat to people's complaining.

Now that the whole Kibo issue is over and done with, I'm really excited about seeing the whole portfolio of changes on board. These have been discussed ad nauseam and I can't wait to finally see each venue and stateroom change. These ships are going to be beautiful and the renovations are a main reason that we are looking to stay strictly with Azamara for the foreseeable future. Before the renovations were announced, we were thisclose to switching over to Seabourn's beautiful fleet, but nothing can really compare with the caring onboard atmosphere of Azamara.

Michael

I don't think Azamara is creating an atmosphere of "entitled whiny guests" at all! Cruise lines depend on, and indeed try very hard to cultivate repeat passengers. The repeat, loyal passengers are essential to any cruise line's success. Any business that doesn't listen to what its loyalists are saying does so at its peril. Those on CC were overwhelmingly (90%+) in favor of keeping the Sunset Bar. Azamara would have been foolish to ignore them, and wisely, did not. The Sunset Bar is not my issue, however-- mine is the TUBS-- the reason I book a Club Continent Suite. Bonnie has said there will be some bathtubs. Will wait to hear about this, as I booked a December 2016 sail in a Club Continent Suite awhile back, when we were assured of a tub. So speaking of Seabourn, we did go on a Seabourn cruise (Adriatic Sea) this May 2015-- lovely--separate shower and tub, great food and service and nice crew, also. That said, we love Azamara (as you said, great crew) and hope everything works out for us to continue with that booking, as the itinerary is just fabulous!

Only just read about Azamara deciding to scrap the Kibo idea. We are so relieved, it really was a no no for us. Thank you so much to everyone at Azamara for listening, you really are the company I always thought you were! We can now get back to looking at what cruises we want to do next year on Azamara.

Why would you say that? That is really over the top. I know from meeting someone high up the line in Azamara that it certainly wasn't taken in that way. It was regarded as valuable feedback and I know Larry Pimental finds this forum and its posters a very useful resource. I'm sure Azamara like me can recognise a whine when they see one and this wasn't it. Just guests passionate about the product and what it offers.

Phil

totally agree with Marinaro - A new Asian restaurant may have been important to some who travel in a suite all the time but certainly not to us, we value being able to dine on the aft of the ship whenever the fancy takes us and the weather permits, had many a beautiful sunset whilst dining and drinking a few glasses of wine.

My comments aren't over the top. I'm only speaking from experience on these boards that I have never seen so many whiners and complainers as I have on here. It seems like everything Azamara does, people make a stink about. I go onboard and have a great time - most other people on here pout and act like little kids who aren't getting their way. Just a little strange to me. I don't care if there is Kibo or no Kibo, or tubs or showers, or what the loyalty program perks are. I think the itineraries are fun and the crew is great and I enjoy myself regardless. I'm sure a representative from the line will tell you that it's valuable feedback, not what they are really thinking.

I have to disagree with you. We have many dedicated and passionate fans of the Azamara experience on this forum who very much value our crew friends and the whole cruise experience on Quest and Journey.

However, some recent management decisions have been patently wrong....and we have made our views known here without any "whining and complaining" but with overwhelming and polite opposition. It is a credit to Mr Pimental and his senior management that they have listened and reacted with good business sense. That is the mark of good leaders and good business policy. We certainly do not make a "stink" about everything Azamara does, but because we all love the Azamara experience we have a vested interest in keeping it as the unique thing it is. That includes keeping the Sunset Bar as a venue for all of us to enjoy in the evenings.

As has been suggested by many people, it should be possible to have Asian food elsewhere on board. I love the curry nights onboard, but I am not a fan of the generic pan Asian food that a lot of cruiselines regard as authentic Asian food. It isn't.

Now give me stone crabs at Clarke Quay in Singapore....and I would be in seventh heaven!

My comments aren't over the top. I'm only speaking from experience on these boards that I have never seen so many whiners and complainers as I have on here. It seems like everything Azamara does, people make a stink about. I go onboard and have a great time - most other people on here pout and act like little kids who aren't getting their way. Just a little strange to me. I don't care if there is Kibo or no Kibo, or tubs or showers, or what the loyalty program perks are. I think the itineraries are fun and the crew is great and I enjoy myself regardless. I'm sure a representative from the line will tell you that it's valuable feedback, not what they are really thinking.

For someone who purportedly doesn't care either way about the issues raised then why attack people who do care?

I agree your comments are over the top

Vicki

Originally Posted by TxnAquarian

TxnAquarian

I think your "whiny guests who stomp their feet" comment is rather rude and incorrect. Posters were simply posting their opinions on a matter that is important to them.

Personally, I would love to see an Asian Restaurant on the Journey, however, not at the expense of losing our Sunset Bar.

The Sunset Bar is a beautiful spot on the ship and should be there for us all to enjoy at whatever time of day. :cool: Thankfully, Azamara has agreed and for that, I am truly happy.:)

We can still enjoy the AzAmazing Indian Buffet (with a lovely view of the sea).:cool:

Thank you once again Azamara.

Alison

I do hope they extend the opening hours of the back bar. On our just finished cruise, two overnights docked in town where the bar had a fab view, both nights bar closed before we got back from an evening stroll in town - it closes at 10 :(

Perhaps they close at 10 so as to not incur the wrath of the people in the back suites on deck 8. :)

Perhaps they close at 10 so as to not incur the wrath of the people in the back suites on deck 8. :)

Perhaps so, but I still feel an 11pm close when in port during warm itineraries would be far better

I have Aft VX staterooms booked for two upcoming cruises. One is on deck 8 . . . I knew the Sunset Bar was right above at the time of booking. I don't see it as a problem. I'll be in a bar/lounge somewhere at 11:00 pm!

I have Aft VX staterooms booked for two upcoming cruises. One is on deck 8 . . . I knew the Sunset Bar was right above at the time of booking. I don't see it as a problem. I'll be in a bar/lounge somewhere at 11:00 pm!
We were in 8093 for three weeks last summer and had no issues with the Sunset Bar or buffet.

As i said the person who closes that bar gets a break. then he goes to another bar to work for a couple hours. i think he pool bar might finally be open past 8 starting this winter. .but who knows. there just is not enough help t okeep more bars open as hey have to have time off.

I think the cruiseline needs to look at its staff rotas - I certainly do not want to take time off from staff but with the enhanced pool grill and so much more potential to make the sunset bar the place to be at night, the guest experience has to come first.

They certainly missed some chances to give the guests something special on Quest when in port in Bordeaux.

I am only asking for the extended hours when the ship is in port between 10pm and 11 pm and in warm climates, not every night

I think the cruiseline needs to look at its staff rotas - I certainly do not want to take time off from staff but with the enhanced pool grill and so much more potential to make the sunset bar the place to be at night, the guest experience has to come first.

They certainly missed some chances to give the guests something special on Quest when in port in Bordeaux.

I am only asking for the extended hours when the ship is in port between 10pm and 11 pm and in warm climates, not every night

Ann- I personally agree with you. The last i heard -months ago- they were keeping the pool bar open later -maybe 10. i think they feel the waiter will go to the pool bar for the drinks not Sunset. the only time i have seen the bar open late is after port event.

i do know that both pool bar and sunset bar goes to looking glass and the discovery person goes to the second show to make drinks.

maybe the F&B can fix this.. i know you still work and by law they have to have so many breaks and so much rest time even if they party off shore.

I also wish the buffet was open later some nights- not the hot food but more salads and fruit. when we sail 8 or later i want food but i do not want to change again.

But I will definitely miss the Asian restaurant. That was one aspect of the refurbishment we were both looking forward to. Now that the Sunset Bar will remain open, perhaps Kibo could be located in the upgraded Pool Bar area instead. I'd hate to see the entire concept thrown away.

How can you miss something when you don't know what it is.

It could be a replica of Silk Harvest on Solstice and Equinox and that restaurant is about as much Asian as Olive Garden is Italian.

It could be a replica of Silk Harvest on Solstice and Equinox and that restaurant is about as much Asian as Olive Garden is Italian.

OK, perhaps "miss" isn't the right word. I was looking forward to the possibility of an excellent Asian restaurant. Maybe I would have been disappointed in the reality, and maybe not. Now I don't get the chance to find out, or the chance to look forward to it. So I'm disappointed with the decision.

Just goes to show that food is very subjective. If they served food in a new Azamara Asian menu offering like that in Silk Harvest I would be very happy, especially if they are like the starters which I think are delicious.

Phil

Just goes to show that food is very subjective. If they served food in a new Azamara Asian menu offering like that in Silk Harvest I would be very happy, especially if they are like the starters which I think are delicious.

Phil

agree Phil- I loved Silk Road more than the other restaurant on the newer ships

Phil

liked Silk Harvest when we were on Solstice on her first spring T/A back in '09. And have been disappointed not to have it on the other ships..oh well..to each his own, right!! Since we book AQ on X now for Blu and they are charging what I think are ridiculous prices for the alternative restaurants we just stick to Blu! LuAnn

Phil

Phil,

There is no-one who enjoys Asian food (or even Asian fusion food) more than me.

However Silk harvest just didn't do it for me, but as you say food is subjective.

Now, Wild Ginger in Seattle that is Asian fusion food par excellence, the best I've ever had, and their wine is on par with a 2-3* Michelin restaurant