Changes to the Sunset Bar (Shelved ! Effective 9/9/15)

little britain

What are your thoughts on the proposed changes to the Sunset Bar  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on the proposed changes to the Sunset Bar

• I'm excited about a fantastic new venue to dine on the ship
    • Please leave it as it is as I love it as it is now

the harp and the duet people in looking glass. taking away the real coffee bar on deck 5 and what made it great at night. .by moving the piano it changed everything. turned it into an art mess with shop tables and a puzzle. .we had shop tables but never like this. I thought about hiding in discovers bar to read but more and more it is use for lectures instead of in he spa or a corner of Looking Glass. I only sail for 4 years and i seen lots of changes.

Precisely!

That harpist should be on a repeat fee here. Gets mentioned so many times as the reason Azamara is going to the dogs! MrMojoRisin, not sure how you can judge things being gradually whittled away on a line you haven't cruised in over two years. :confused:

Phil

That seems insignificant. The cruise line I have cruised on the most did the following to its newest class of ships: eliminated central staircase (this is major on a large ship), made balconies tiny (can't face vertically to the sea), eliminated two pools, and a favorite lounge. Others were upset about the elimination of the walkway around the promenade deck. We had a great cruise on that ship, but the changes had me looking elsewhere. What Azamara is doing is upgrading their ships. The only really questionable item is the elimination of outdoor dining at dinner time. I have never cruised on Azamara and didn't think it was a big deal UNTIL I read how much regulars absolutely love that whole experience and how the dinner is more than a "typical cruise buffet experience." The rest of this stuff is all good.

Edited by hubofhockey

There have also been positive changes such as the great updating of all the sunbeds and the addition of the sofas and hanging chairs on the sun deck. Things have to change - some will see some changes as good, others as bad, but that's life!

I so love the sun beds on deck 9.. like the new sofas etc too. Deck 11 sun beds i do not like as much as deck 9's. i find it hard to put them flat.. i am looking forward to he pool bar being open late. I almost never get a drink there but would after using the track.

Yes please! The harpist appears in most thread !

She is so dearly missed! Take away the art auctions and bring back the harpist. The music and sight brought such a lovely atmosphere and class to the ship.

I so love the sun beds on deck 9.. like the new sofas etc too. Deck 11 sun beds i do not like as much as deck 9's. i find it hard to put them flat.. i am looking forward to he pool bar being open late. I almost never get a drink there but would after using the track.

I agree. I think the new deck furniture is a huge improvement. When I first saw it in person it gave me real encouragement after reading negatives about the future of Azamara. The further large investment In the ships is great to see. When we have our smartly updated Journey and Quest there are bound to be some rethinks of one of the onboard services. Unfortunately I don't think the art auctions will be one of them. That jigsaw puzzle might disappear from Mosaic though, if you are lucky.;)

Phil

I agree. I think the new deck furniture is a huge improvement. When I first saw it in person it gave me real encouragement after reading negatives about the future of Azamara. The further large investment In the ships is great to see. When we have our smartly updated Journey and Quest there are bound to be some rethinks of one of the onboard services. Unfortunately I don't think the art auctions will be one of them. That jigsaw puzzle might disappear from Mosaic though, if you are lucky.;)

Phil

the puzzle should go to the new card room on deck 10 by the new computer rooms. cards and puzzles go together. all games to me should go there. Phil, once MIA plans the menu i d oont think it will go far away.. But it could be moved to the outdoor area near the stage. .near the bar it would get cold to fast. going to be a lot of moving of chairs and tables daily.

Initially I wondered about the puzzle, but actually we loved it, every night on the way to bed we had a challenge of each putting in one piece - some nights getting to bed was seriously delayed by one of us :)

After just enjoying the sunset bar so much in the Adriatic I hope they keep it as is.

If there's to be a new Asian restaurant which if done well will be great, why not use the covered pool deck eating areas, which would alleviate the problems of cold and or wet weather, especially if they added an opening roof, it would be great!

Edited by davwen81

We were also on the Adriatic cruise last week and the sunset bar was always full, especially in the evenings. When the tables were all occupied, many people brought their food outside and ate their meal perched on a bar stool!

For us, this cruise was a return to Az after 18 months of using a different cruise line. All Oceania ships have the sunset area for buffet dining and there are lots of tables and chairs, and never any difficulty in finding a space to eat. It would be better if Azamara removed the bar from outside and put in some more tables.

The sunset bar is a wonderful peaceful and sheltered area to hang out with new friends and the loss of this will indeed change the whole ambience of the cruise experience. The Azamara ships are too small to introduce yet another speciality restaurant.

Some changes are good, but Azamara should listen to its customers and leave the sunset bar well alone!

Some changes are good, but Azamara should listen to its customers and leave the sunset bar well alone!

Please don't claim to speak for everyone. Plenty, myself included, have expressed their delight with these changes!

Please don't claim to speak for everyone. Plenty, myself included, have expressed their delight with these changes!

I don't think this poll claims to speak for all, it simply reports votes. Looks like 4 out of 5 cruise critic respondents want the Sunset Bar left as it is, florisdekort.

But it seems the vast majority are not delighted, ourselves included.

Another vote to leave the Sunset bar as it is. The perfect outside dining venue. Shame I can't actually register the vote on CC using my iPad.

I don't think this poll claims to speak for all, it simply reports votes. Looks like 4 out of 5 cruise critic respondents want the Sunset Bar left as it is, florisdekort.

Exactly. The majority are in favour of leaving this wonderful area for all. Once again I think it needs repeating that most people do not oppose the introduction of a new speciality restaurant but do oppose it's intended location which will effectively remove an exceedingly popular venue for evening dining from all who choose not to eat in the speciality restaurant . Surely then there is an acceptable solution for ALL , many good solutions have already been posted here. Let's hope we can all be happy

Since there is little enthusiasm for the art auction activity ( see other thread), is it possible to replace the art location with Kibo and leave the highly coveted Sunset Bar location intact?

Since there is little enthusiasm for the art auction activity ( see other thread), is it possible to replace the art location with Kibo and leave the highly coveted Sunset Bar location intact?

If they didn't make any money from them, they would discontinue them. What does it tell you that these things are harder to kill off than a cockroach infestation?

We have always enjoyed this area and would prefer another speciality restaurant, if it is needed, to be situated elsewhere. For us, losing its free use would diminish our cruise experience.

That is an interesting angle. In effect, placing the new speciality restaurant in the aft open area means that area is no longer free, both in the sense that that it is no longer freely available and that it is no longer free in monetary terms.

That is an interesting angle. In effect, placing the new speciality restaurant in the aft open area means that area is no longer free, both in the sense that that it is no longer freely available and that it is no longer free in monetary terms.

That's they way I see it too. Obviously 80% are of a similar opinion. At least that's the way it looks to me, by the voting!

Yes, that was exactly my meaning. Thank you for making it clearer.

Yep, but is anyone actually listening to us? I think not and what a shame. For all the ACC cruisers who don't subscribe to CC, it would be interesting to see how they feel about this "executive decision".

The aft open deck is the most delightful spot on the ship.

We've spent many evenings there - having cocktails, then the ethnic buffet dinner.

A specialty Asian restaurant could be located on one side of the buffet area in the evenings.

Please leave the outdoor area alone !

Keep the Sunset Bar!

Having just learned of the changes in USA today, I saw this poll when trying to learn more. We have only cruised on Windstar, and now Azamara and really enjoy the aft spaces. I would vote to keep the Sunset Bar since it is so popular--in our experience it attracted crowds at all times, and provided an ambience to mingle with fellow cruisers that was unique to other areas on board.

I agree that the area of the Pool Grill should be improved and that an Asian-themed restaurant would be an attractive addition. Another option would be to keep Asian cuisine options on the menu at both the buffet and in the Main Dining Room (or even Prime C). A surcharge could be an option in the MDR for special menus. Hopefully, Azamara will consider moving your new restaurant to another area keep the Sunset Bar for all to enjoy.

Just a point--perhaps Azamara keeps wanting to push the profitability of its' F&B outlets and the Sunset Bar needs to grow its revenue BUT the line makes the all-inclusive drinks amenity and their premium drinks package a big selling point, so therefore they have already achieved the revenue once passengers arrive at the outlet!

How about if they made one side of Windows inside and the corresponding space outside for Kibo and the other side inside and outside for buffet dining as it is at the moment in the evening?

This would please those who like the idea of this third alternative restaurant and those who don't.

It would give Azamara its additional revenue stream and there would be many tables (inside) for Kibo diners if the weather is inclement.

Larry, if you are reading this thread is this a route to possibly satisfy everyone, guests and the company?