How to carry $?

bookworm61

You're statement is entirely uncalled for. No country is devoid of the kind of violence you referenced and saw fit to interject into this conversation.

We're discussing cash management and safe traveling. Let's stay on topic!

Lew

No, it is NOT uncalled for actually.

All too often, posts on this website, which is frequented predominantly by Americans, make Europe look like an area where pickpockets are a real threat.

Reality is that Europe in general is much safer than the USA, especially regarding violent crimes.

Let's not forget that please.

All too often, posts on this website, which is frequented predominantly by Americans, make Europe look like an area where pickpockets are a real threat.

Reality is that Europe in general is much safer than the USA, especially regarding violent crimes.

You sound obtuse if you don't think pickpockets are a threat to travelers. It's true in the US and South America too and we don't pretend it isn't. Discussion or comparison of violent crime did not appear until you decided to bring it up because of the giant chip on your shoulder.

I am glad I live in such a 'dangerous' place as Europe after seeing all the shootings and atrocities that have happened in Texas lately.

Some places in Europe are safer than some places in the US. (I'm sure the reverse is equally true.) But this thread is about how to carry money and I think the warnings about pickpockets are fair.

Why?

Because many Americans who cruise are not experienced travelers. Many are from small towns in the US where pickpocketing is just not common. They have no idea of the stealth, skill, and types of distractions that are practiced.

Now if you are from a large city in the US, you'll know about situational awareness and being on your guard. But absent such warnings, many people will not take appropriate precautions -- and losing one's wallet or passport can really put a damper on a vacation.

I'm New Yorker. Fifteen years ago, a band of gypsies approached three of us outside of the Collesium, my DW, an Italian priest and me, and despite the males physically trying to remove prying hands from the very aggressive gypsies trying to rob my DW, they were relentless--my DW had a camera obviously under his windbreaker. Secondly, CC mates were pick pocketed by cabbie driving them from the Barcelona airport two years ago. Yet, in NY, never been robbed. Warnings to naive American travelers are appropriate.

Edited by mrobstad

I'm New Yorker. Fifteen years ago, a band of gypsies approached three of us outside of the Collesium, my DW, an Italian priest and me, and despite the males physically trying to remove prying hands from the very aggressive gypsies trying to rob my DW, they were relentless--my DW had a camera obviously under his windbreaker. Secondly, CC mates were pick pocketed by cabbie driving them from the Barcelona airport two years ago. Yet, in NY, never been robbed. Warnings to naive American travelers are appropriate.

And personal anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all.

Another things that bugs Europeans are questions which treat Europe as a monolithic whole. It has around 40 counties and 300 million people. Any question about "Europe" is, quite frankly, stupid.

In a few big cities I'd be wary of pickpockets. In most European cities, you're far safer than you are in many big US cities. That's the statistical evidence, not the conclusions of my personal experiences.

I'm a little wary of making a withdrawal at the ATMs. Don't most thieves in big cities, like Barcelona and Rome, stalk ATMs ? Isn't that where you are most likely targeted? If they see you getting some money out, then they know for sure you have the cash.

Isn't it safer to bring enough Euros with you, hide it underneath your clothes during the flight. When you check in your hotel, just keep most of it in the safe? Just take a little at at a time when you go out?

I'm just worried because some of the tours I booked require cash payment of hundreds of euros. With so little time at the ports, I don't think I'd have time to look for an ATM and take money out.

:)

I'm a little wary of making a withdrawal at the ATMs. Don't most thieves in big cities, like Barcelona and Rome, stalk ATMs ? Isn't that where you are most likely targeted? If they see you getting some money out, then they know for sure you have the cash.

Isn't it safer to bring enough Euros with you, hide it underneath your clothes during the flight. When you check in your hotel, just keep most of it in the safe? Just take a little at at a time when you go out?

I'm just worried because some of the tours I booked require cash payment of hundreds of euros. With so little time at the ports, I don't think I'd have time to look for an ATM and take money out.

If it makes you feel more secure, then go for it. You'll lose a little money in the less favorable exchange, but perhaps that's worth it to you.

FWIW, I've traveled extensively around the globe and have primarily relied on ATMs for cash in most places. I am a woman, usually traveling on my own, and I've never seen anyone who looked as if they were targeting an ATM that I used. Keep in mind that in most major cities you can find ATMs associated with a bank, often they will have a separate little entry/antechamber so that you are not standing out on the street.

Plus, locals use the ATMs all the time for their cash...

No I don't think "most' thieves stalk ATMs. We have never in all our time in Europe noticed that, but we sure have seen thieves and pickpockets elsewhere. If you are alone be sure to use an ATM attached to a bank and in a public place with other people around.

If you are with someone one of you makes the withdrawal while the other stands guard. Then immediately get the money into your hidden safe spot inside your clothing. We will duck into the bank or a cafe if necessary.

It may be safer to bring the money with you but you pay more to get it at home than from an ATM.

I admit to doing that. We bought the Rick Steves silk money belts. They do the job. We split the cash between both of us. We usually lock the cash and passports in the hotel or cabin when able.

Well, I suppose there may be some thieves who watch ATMs for distracted tourists. But really, you just have to aware and cautious just like you would be any other place. I have withdrawn money from ATMs many, many times, including in both Barcelona and in Rome earlier this month. Before stepping up to the ATM I look around for any suspicious characters, then I remain watchful until the cash is in my pocket. I've never had any problem.

As for carrying cash on your person, I carry a small amount of walking around money in an easily accessible location with larger amounts of cash, and credit and debit cards in a money belt.

For credit cards, I carry a couple chip & pin cards...chip & signature cards would be my second choice. For obtaining cash from ATMs, I carry two debit cards. The financial institutions whose cards I use do not charge foreign exchange conversion fees and reimburse for ATM fees, if any.

The above has served me well on a number of European trips...

Lew

We have USAA debit card and USAA World mastercard with a chip Which is best to use in Spain Italy & France ATMs? Is it best to get some euros state side prior to leaving?

We have USAA debit card and USAA World mastercard with a chip Which is best to use in Spain Italy & France ATMs? Is it best to get some euros state side prior to leaving?

According to this chart USAA credit cards with a chip may require either a PIN or signature depending on the circumstances. USAA also imposes a 1% foreign exchange fee...not the best, but certainly not the worst.

You should use your debit card for ATM withdrawals and your credit card for purchases.

Lew

Yes, thieves do watch people withdrawing money from ATMs, but are just as likely to target local people as well as tourists. As already mentioned, many banks have the machines within an area with a door or inside the bank.

But if you're a tourist most likely you will be in a tourist area for the ATM. Not a residential. In Barcelona the ATMs that we found were on the sidewalk not inside the bank. Same for Amsterdam it was in Dam Square on the sidewalk.

No I don't think "most' thieves stalk ATMs. We have never in all our time in Europe noticed that, but we sure have seen thieves and pickpockets elsewhere. If you are alone be sure to use an ATM attached to a bank and in a public place with other people around....

Agree completely. This was our experience in Spain; used ATM twice, I think, and it was completely safe and easy. We looked up online which banks in Spain are affiliated with our bank at home, and used those ATMs. Neat and sweet.

Oh, and in Rome we were hopelessly lost and asked for help from two locals; they obliged and didn't try to pick our pockets or anything bad. They were lovely, friendly local men. Not everyone in Europe is trying to rob tourists. :)

Agree completely. This was our experience in Spain; used ATM twice, I think, and it was completely safe and easy. We looked up online which banks in Spain are affiliated with our bank at home, and used those ATMs. Neat and sweet.

Oh, and in Rome we were hopelessly lost and asked for help from two locals; they obliged and didn't try to pick our pockets or anything bad. They were lovely, friendly local men. Not everyone in Europe is trying to rob tourists. :)

Certain areas of Europe have bands of pickpockets who travel to tourist destinations to rob people. To pretend they don't exist is not helping those who are unaware.

Anyone traveling to Greece this summer may or may not be able to get cash from the ATM. My ports before Greece is Croatia which is not in the Eurozone.

Certain areas of Europe have bands of pickpockets who travel to tourist destinations to rob people. To pretend they don't exist is not helping those who are unaware...

At no time did I say they didn't exist, nor did I imply anything of the kind by my comments. Gee.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

From our experience in Positano, be wary of ATMs on the exterior of banks. I used an exterior ATM outside a Deutsche Bank. Several days later we received notice from our bank that our "card" was being used to extract the maximum amount allowed per day. We were obviously victims of a skimmer attached to the ATM machine. From now on, we will only use interior ATM machines. The good news is that our bank (Bank of America) never blinked about covering our losses. However, this reinforced what others have said here - always have at least one back-up ATM card with a different number and/or linked to a different account. Had we still been traveling when the the fraud was discovered and our account frozen, we would have been without money unless we had a back-up account ... which we did.

At no time did I say they didn't exist, nor did I imply anything of the kind by my comments. Gee.

"Not everyone is trying to rob tourists" on a thread that is attempting to enlighten the uninformed about the real pickpocketing problem implies it to me. Nowhere on this thread did anyone try to have folks believe everyone is out to rob tourists. But of course tourists are easy targets by pickpockets. On another thread there is a discussion on pick pockets in the Baltic countries also

Lets clear the air. Pickpockets/purse snatchers exist the world over! But the situation in Western Europe (primarily in major tourist areas) is worse then the norm because of a large number of Roma (Gypsies) who can now travel freely throughout the EU. The Roma have developed their skills over many generations and are true professionals. Those who understand the situation, take reasonable precautions, and understand that it is important to always be aware of one's surroundings, will nearly always do quite well. But those who refuse to acknowledge the problem and take proper precautions are simply painting a big bulls eye on themselves. Does that mean that everyone gets nailed? No, but it sure increases the odds.

DW and I have been traveling extensively for around forty years and often are in Europe on cruises or driving trips. In all those years we have foiled pickpocket attempts in Arles, France; Istanbul, and Bologna. In all those cases we were taking some precautions but just being aware of what was happening was enough for us to stop the attempts. We have also witnessed quite a few cruisers (and other travelers) being robbed and most of the time it was their own stupidity that made the gypsy's job quite easy. The last time was on the Ramblas (Barcelona) where a fellow cruise passenger put her purse under her chair (at a sidewalk cafe) which was quickly snatched by a thief (caught by others). The women did not even have a clue she had been robbed until others brought back her purse.

We know a man who always carries his wallet in his back pocket. When I urged him to change his habit he told me that nobody had ever robbed him in his entire life. And yes, you can guess what happened to him that same week :(.

So my advice to fellow travelers is to use a lot of common sense along with some basic precautions. For example, I usually will carry my wallet (or money) in a front pocket which I further secure with a large safety pin. DW always uses a safety pin to pin the zippers of her purse together! Basic and very simple steps that are quite effective. We also never wear valuable jewelry or watches, carry valuables (such as Passports) that we do not need, etc. Take some precautions, be alert and then go on and just enjoy yourself.

Hank

I was robbed airside at Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris in the security queue and just a few feet from the police station. I was a bit careless with my wallet in a zipped small backpack over my shoulder. Now going through airport security both here in Scotland and elsewhere I lock all my bags including my handbag. My husband and I have separate credit cards and divide our cash. Fortunately we had done this when I was robbed. I now have a card safe purse always and I use a large purse that is more conspicuous if lifted. We usually carry mainly euro cash in some parts of Europe due to the high level of credit card fraud, using our cards only in hotels and large stores, never in small restaurants, service stations etc.

I was robbed airside at Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris in the security queue and just a few feet from the police station. I was a bit careless with my wallet in a zipped small backpack over my shoulder. Now going through airport security both here in Scotland and elsewhere I lock all my bags including my handbag. My husband and I have separate credit cards and divide our cash. Fortunately we had done this when I was robbed. I now have a card safe purse always and I use a large purse that is more conspicuous if lifted. We usually carry mainly euro cash in some parts of Europe due to the high level of credit card fraud, using our cards only in hotels and large stores, never in small restaurants, service stations etc.

Sorry to hear you were robbed. Can you tell me, how do you lock a handbag? Do you lock it as it goes through security? I wasn't aware that this was an option.

Can you tell me, how do you lock a handbag? Do you lock it as it goes through security? I wasn't aware that this was an option.

You need a secure handbag such as the ones offered by PacSafe. I use a PacSafe day pack in Europe and never worry about anyone getting into it without my knowledge.

Lew

I simply put a small lock on my handbag, all my travel bags have zips and I simply lock them together. These days the security halls are so crowded it isn't possible to keep an eye on your possessions the whole time. If security needed me to unlock obviously I would, this has never happened. I don't carry an iPad or laptop, these are the only things other than liquids you have to leave out of your bags in security. I was robbed within 3 feet of security staff and 20 feet of the police station, fortunately I realised before we went through and we had plenty of time to cancel all the cards (husband rang a colleague who helped) and also enough time to make a police report so I could claim on insurance. The police station was full of people making similar reports.