Lowly Concierge Class Guests Traveling With RS Guests

sandyss

I'm not sure if this has been previously asked. We are booked in Concierge Class. Our son and his family decided to join us on our cruise, and they are booked in a RS.

What are our options for dining together? We do not want to pay $50 per person to dine in Luminae. We currently have MDR Early Dining.

Should we try to change to Select Dining, so that we can eat together some of the time? This might be difficult since our cruise (2017) is almost completely booked.

I've seen the thread with people upset because Suite Guests eat in Select Dining. What if they request permanent Select Dining? Or permanent MDR Early Dining?

And, NO, we do not want to move to a Suite. That would more than double the cost of our cruise.

I'm looking for constructive suggestions. No flaming please.

Dining accomodations have become a real concern because of all the class differences. I know we have an upcoming cruise with 3 couples in Aqua and one in a CS. We plan to eat one night together in a specialty restaurant, and they plan on joining us in Blu. We cruised in a suite recently, and I keep telling them that they will want to enjoy Luminae as much as possible. It's very special, and having paid for the priviledge, I'd hate for them to miss out because they feel like they need to eat with us each night.

I'm unfamiliar with Royal suites, but I believe they have a large table in their suite. Is it possible to dine in their suite with them for dinner sometimes? I do think it would make thinkgs easier for the MDR if you switched to Select.

My friend and I traveled in a sky suite and she did not want to dine in Luminae. She prefered the traditional dining. We met with the Maitre D and he assigned us a table in traditional dining.

On your first day, have your son go with you to speak to the Maitre D. He will help you sort it out.

Yes, just do Select Dining. I'd like to know how these people know who's traveling in Suites. They must be really nosy. LOL

The color of your seapass card. Some people hang them around their necks, especially women who don't want to carry around a purse.

Depending on your cruise, you may consider having a nice lunch in a specialty restaurant @ $25.00 per person. This is not every day that they have it but it will be posted in your Celebrity today newsletter. You could also ask the staff what day as well. Have a nice cruise with your family.

Regards

Ed

If your friends decide to eat in Blu one night which they are able to, you will not be able to join them since you are in a CC. Celebrity is very strict about anyone other than suites or AQ eating in Blu. Just another complication.

The color of your seapass card. Some people hang them around their necks, especially women who don't want to carry around a purse.

I've never seen anyone wearing their sea pass card around their neck to dinner. As I said, people who know must be very nosy.;) In all my years on Celebrity, I've never known what kind of cabin someone has unless I know them personally, nor do I care.

Edited by Ma Bell

In all my cruises I have never noticed anyone wearing a lanyard with their cruise pass in it to dinner. If they had I certainly wouldn't be eyeing up what colour it was. The suite cards look white from a distance anyway.

Phil

Hope you have a great family cruise!

Don't worry too much. I suggest you son takes the lead in sorting dining, liaising with the Michael's Club conceirge.

You have lots of choices. I am sure Celebrity will work with you to sort it all out.

There is a dining table for six in the Royal Suite. You will all be able to dine together in MDR select or early, depending on what is arranged. You can be a guest of your son on at least one night and experience Luminae. If you have had some busy excursions you may all just want the buffet!

Your son also has unlimited speciality restaurant dining. You said 'and family' if he is travelling with youngsters you may want to mix and match again, perhaps with the young ones with you in MDR some nights giving your son and partner the chance to have an adult meal in Murranos. You, also may want a night or two quietly on your own in MDR or speciality.

From what you have read already on CC you know you are not the first family in this situation. Your son will get an email prior to cruising from the MC conceirge. I suggest he replies to this, explaining the situation and then when on board I am sure all restaurant staff will really try to ensure you have a great family holiday.

Have a wonderful holiday, and do not let dining worries spoil your planning and expectations!

I've never seen anyone wearing their sea pass card around their neck to dinner. As I said, people who know must be very nosy.;) In all my years on Celebrity, I've never known what kind of cabin someone has unless I know them personally, nor do I care.

When you are standing in Line at Select Dining and people walk in front of you, announce to the Hostess. "We are sailing in a Suite and would like a table for 4. We are in a hurry as we don't want to miss the show".

They got seated immediately while we and others continued to wait. I figure they were in a suite.

When you are standing in Line at Select Dining and people walk in front of you, announce to the Hostess. "We are sailing in a Suite and would like a table for 4. We are in a hurry as we don't want to miss the show".

They got seated immediately while we and others continued to wait. I figure they were in a suite.

One of the perks of suites is priority seating in the main dining room and specialties. Since Select Dining does not require reservations, that's just the way they do it. Do you get annoyed when people flying first class get on the plane before you? Let's face it, it really doesn't happen often with all the options available to them and the fact that there really aren't that many suites to begin with.

In order to hear what someone says to the hostess, someone has to be listening to someone else's conversation. I guess the solution to the problem is to book a suite.

Sea pass card hanging around the neck? Are you sure you're not confusing Celebrity with Carnival?:p

It's not all that uncommon for someone to take their seapass card to guest services to get a hole punched and then to wear it around their neck, especially around the pool. I've seen very few, if any, women wear sea pass necklaces to dinner though....

Yes, just do Select Dining. I'd like to know how these people know who's traveling in Suites. They must be really nosy. LOL

It's a desire to see who is getting what, and then complain about not getting the same.

It stems from a "sense of entitlement," which is pervasive in our society (us Americans at least). This differs from "entitlement," which we all have to some extent, whether we care to admit it. Generally, those with a sense of entitlement are the same folks who become very defensive protecting the things to which they are actually entitled.

For example, you might find Mr. Sense O' Entitlement having a minor meltdown because someone has used/or attempted to have a benefit reserved for folks in his cabin type, or with his level of status. Then, in the next breath, he will have a second meltdown about the high and mighty folks with an additional benefit, and how unfair it is that he, as the "Average Joe," is getting slighted.

The "everyone who has more is a snob, and everyone who has less should know their station" type is rather silly on a cruise where very often the type of cabin one has booked is a poor indicator of one's actual wealth. Who's to say one couple hasn't booked an inside simply because they spend thousands on private excursions and cabin size/perks are unimportant; while another couple has all but broken the bank for that once-in-a-lifetime trip (including a suite)?

People should just book what they want, take the amenities that come with what they booked, and not worry about what others have. I sailed on two cruises on MS Eurodam - the first, in a Verandah, the second in a Neptune Suite (on a super upsell offer - I could never afford to book at even the sale fare). On the first cruise I had no idea the Neptune Lounge (exclusive to the highest two classes of suites) existed. On the second, I spent lots of time in the lounge, but never set foot in The Retreat (like the Alcoves) despite having booked one for the entire first cruise. Each trip was equally enjoyable. I couldn't imagine stressing about what others have that I didn't get - especially when I made the decision not to spend the money others did.

Sorry about the OT rant, but jeze...people get so caught up in what other people have.

Back to the OP and his question --- one of the perks your son has in a RS is dining in Luminae, which I haven't tried yet but I hear is a step up on the MDR. Suite prices seemed to go up when this new plan debuted, so it seems a shame for him and his family to totally miss out on that. I understand that you don't want to pay the price for a suite, but it would be courteous to say to him (some nights at least) "Go, have a good time, and we'll catch up with you later." They could ask to be assigned to the MDR to eat with you, but they would miss out on a lot. Maybe they could join you once, or you could all eat in a specialty restaurant or the buffet -- but there will be plenty of time to spend together, even if you split up for dinner. Just my opinion, of course.

It's a desire to see who is getting what, and then complain about not getting the same.

It stems from a "sense of entitlement," which is pervasive in our society (us Americans at least). This differs from "entitlement," which we all have to some extent, whether we care to admit it. Generally, those with a sense of entitlement are the same folks who become very defensive protecting the things to which they are actually entitled.

For example, you might find Mr. Sense O' Entitlement having a minor meltdown because someone has used/or attempted to have a benefit reserved for folks in his cabin type, or with his level of status. Then, in the next breath, he will have a second meltdown about the high and mighty folks with an additional benefit, and how unfair it is that he, as the "Average Joe," is getting slighted.

The "everyone who has more is a snob, and everyone who has less should know their station" type is rather silly on a cruise where very often the type of cabin one has booked is a poor indicator of one's actual wealth. Who's to say one couple hasn't booked an inside simply because they spend thousands on private excursions and cabin size/perks are unimportant; while another couple has all but broken the bank for that once-in-a-lifetime trip (including a suite)?

People should just book what they want, take the amenities that come with what they booked, and not worry about what others have. I sailed on two cruises on MS Eurodam - the first, in a Verandah, the second in a Neptune Suite (on a super upsell offer - I could never afford to book at even the sale fare). On the first cruise I had no idea the Neptune Lounge (exclusive to the highest two classes of suites) existed. On the second, I spent lots of time in the lounge, but never set foot in The Retreat (like the Alcoves) despite having booked one for the entire first cruise. Each trip was equally enjoyable. I couldn't imagine stressing about what others have that I didn't get - especially when I made the decision not to spend the money others did.

Sorry about the OT rant, but jeze...people get so caught up in what other people have.

Two thumbs up to your comments. I've been reading other posts talking about "us in steerage" and the suite people walking in on a red carpet, or us second class people cleaning up for the suite class. Heck, I'm not rich, but if I chose to skimp here and save there, just so I can cruise in a suite, we'll good for me. If I choose to do one good cruise a year, instead of 3 or 4 in a lesser cabin, let me and don't cast dispersions. If I choose to sail in a suite, maybe I can because I choose not to drink heavily, or gamble, or spend $$$$ on souvenirs or shopping in port. So to those who think suites are not worth it, fine with me.

And do your homework before you book. There was a thread the other day where a woman was complaining that she booked an AQ cabin and her three kids in an inside. She was highly insulted that her kids could not eat with her in Blu. DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

One of the perks of suites is priority seating in the main dining room and specialties. Since Select Dining does not require reservations, that's just the way they do it. Do you get annoyed when people flying first class get on the plane before you? Let's face it, it really doesn't happen often with all the options available to them and the fact that there really aren't that many suites to begin with.

In order to hear what someone says to the hostess, someone has to be listening to someone else's conversation. I guess the solution to the problem is to book a suite.

I wasn't annoyed, I was just responding to how one might know that a person was in a Suite. Not hard to hear a person standing next to you.

And do your homework before you book. There was a thread the other day where a woman was complaining that she booked an AQ cabin and her three kids in an inside. She was highly insulted that her kids could not eat with her in Blu. DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

She must be a neighbor of mine, she drives a extended length Suburban and was caught behind her the other day driving home. She was all over the place and driving at varying speeds, when I caught up with her she had been applying her make up the whole time.:D

Edited by need2cruisesoon

I'm not sure if this has been previously asked. We are booked in Concierge Class. Our son and his family decided to join us on our cruise, and they are booked in a RS.

What are our options for dining together? We do not want to pay $50 per person to dine in Luminae. We currently have MDR Early Dining.

Should we try to change to Select Dining, so that we can eat together some of the time? This might be difficult since our cruise (2017) is almost completely booked.

I've seen the thread with people upset because Suite Guests eat in Select Dining. What if they request permanent Select Dining? Or permanent MDR Early Dining?

And, NO, we do not want to move to a Suite. That would more than double the cost of our cruise.

I'm looking for constructive suggestions. No flaming please.

Switching to Select dining does open up the possibility to eat in the MDR together. The Royal Suite has a table for four. If you give the butler notice he can arrange to have dinner there. It also has a table for four on the balcony. We had company for diner on two occasions. Very nice and food comes from the MDR and you can request it be served by course or all at once. On port nights grab a bite in the Buffet, food is very good and one night you just might want to try Luminae...A Great Experience. There also is Bistron on five. Royal Suites have no cover charge but you and your husband would have a $10 p/p charge, but it also is a nice comfortable place to dine for a light meal. Enjoy!

Back to the OP and his question --- one of the perks your son has in a RS is dining in Luminae, which I haven't tried yet but I hear is a step up on the MDR. Suite prices seemed to go up when this new plan debuted, so it seems a shame for him and his family to totally miss out on that. I understand that you don't want to pay the price for a suite, but it would be courteous to say to him (some nights at least) "Go, have a good time, and we'll catch up with you later." They could ask to be assigned to the MDR to eat with you, but they would miss out on a lot. Maybe they could join you once, or you could all eat in a specialty restaurant or the buffet -- but there will be plenty of time to spend together, even if you split up for dinner. Just my opinion, of course.

We had dinner at our son's house this evening - just got home. We all discussed the dining options. Their preference is for all of us to request Select Dining, so that we can be together. On a few evenings, they will have a "date night" in Luminae and our granddaughter will join us for dinner in Select Dining.

I will call our TA on Monday and see if she can arrange this. If not, I will call the Captain's Club for help.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.