Why we should consider trip insurance

richard1s

I used to get it every time, as my DH is a liver transplant recipient. I was afraid of the high medical bills is something were to happen to him. I can afford to lose the cost of the trip. I could not afford the high international medical bills. However, I checked with my BCBS federal plan and it does cover internationally. It also would cover medevac if needed. The only real risk I see that would hurt financially is repatriation if one of us died on the cruise, but I could cover it. My grandfather died on a cruise to Tahiti and it cost over $12k for the repatriation. No insurance. We had to pay, since his wife could not. I'm prepared if needed, so a risk I'm willing to take.

The topic of whether or not to buy trip insurance regularly comes up on the CC boards. There are never any shortage of people who express the "I never buy trip insurance and never will; with what I have saved, I can go on another cruise every couple of years".

Except when insurance is the law e.g. car insurance, buying coverage becomes an issue of your comfort level with risk. But here's the other side of that topic as related by my neighbor who was on an RCL cruise (Serenade) a few months ago.

While on the cruise out of NOLA, he became ill and was eventually diagnosed by the ship's medical staff with pneumonia (and related complications). He spent two full days being treated at the on board medical facility; all the while he is pretty much out of it. The ship made an unscheduled stop in south Florida and he is transferred to a hospital there for another 9 days in ICU. RCL charges his credit card for about $5,000 for the care he received on board.

During the 9 days in the Florida hospital, his wife stays with him of course and needs a hotel for the time. She also incurs other expenses while there for food, transportation etc.

Remember the cruise departed from NOLA and even after about 11 days, he still can't fly commercial so he needs to be flown back to NOLA on a dedicated medical flight; cost $19,000.

So far the incremental expenses of this incident - onboard medical cost, spouse's living expenses, unused cruise cost and the flight will all be covered by the trip insurance. The other actual medical cost are being coordinated through the primary and secondary underwriters of his heath care provider and the travel insurance provider. He told me he purchased the trip policy through AAA and the cost was only several hundred dollars.

While this happened on RCL, it could happen on any cruise line and I am positive that all have pretty much identical policies. I am also aware that there is a separate board for insurance topics but I felt that relating this story to a broader audience was important. Since it involved an RCL ship, I simply chose to post here.

Often people think of insurance as only covering the risk exposure in case you have to cancel; in my opinion this is far less important than the protection offered for the cost of medical care, evacuation and other expenses related to a medical incident. If this unfortunately happens, it can put a serious bite on your savings; is that something to put at risk?

When I purchase a policy, I self insurer for a larger portion of the trip cost to help manage my premium since age and trip cost are the major drivers of the policy cost.

Travel healthy and safe.

We've always purchased insurance, and now, with the TA we use, it's included with the cost of the cruise.

Last year we had to cancel a cruise, due to a serious medical

diagnosis. The insurance gave us everything back, that the cruise line did not. :)

I've never bought travel insurance. As far as trip cancellation, I feel that I am self-insured and know how unlikely it is that I will cancel the trip (my work has contract guarantees for vacation time, no one in my family is in poor health, and if I broke my leg I'd hobble into the airport anyway and deal with it later). As far as medical insurance, all my medical insurance documents claim they will cover me internationally the same way they do at home. Of course I'm concerned about being stranded somewhere with crazy medical bills because there are all the clauses about needing things "pre-approved" and "medically necessary"; but all the travel insurances I have looked at contain those clauses too so I'm not sure that they would be any better to work with.

We always get travel insurance, but through a 3rd party. When I was about 27 or 28 years old, we booked a cruise a full year in advance so that we could pay it off over time. About a month before the cruise, I found out I was pregnant, but miscarried the pregnancy the week before we would have left. I was in no shape to go, so the insurance company re-imbursed us 100% of the cost! Another time (in Alaska) my 3-year-old daughter got a splinter on a cruise ship railing. The ship's clinic charged us $250 to remove the splinter and apply a band-aid :eek: and we were reimbursed for that, which was more than we paid for the insurance. Another time my husband had to visit the ship's doctor because he was having an allergic reaction to something. Travel insurance paid for that too!

There are 2 different aspects to the travel insurance. Medical coverage and trip cancellation beforehand.

I can buy a medical insurance policy that covers out of country travel multiple trips of up to 15 days that is valid for the year for the 4 of us for $175. It would be crazy not to travel without this. As someone who has been hospitalized suddenly and racked up over a $250,000 hospital bill in Canada (fully covered) I cannot fathom travelling without insurance.

We do not buy trip cancellation insurance. Prices I have received were over $500 per trip. We don't fly and always arrive at our destination early so there is not much chance of missing the ship. If something ever did happen with what we have saved we have covered the cost of that trip.

I usually buy full trip insurance but do think it is wasteful (of course I have never needed it.) I would be interested in just purchasing medical insurance. Would I purchase that through a travel insurance company?

I have used the RCI insurance twice.

Once when we had to cancel because I had a heart attack

Once when my last wife was hospitalized and ended up dying.

In both cases we had to cancel at the last minute but we were reimbursed for everything we had paid.

Firstly I never called anyone on here stupid, I said that anyone who doesn't have travel insurance is (in my opinion) stupid.

Secondly, you called ME stupid, by misquoting what I said. I DIDN'T say I 'knew what's best for "everyone"', I was stating my opinion and from personal experience.

Like Thoie I too have an EHIC, but I still have annual travel insurance as well.

I don't mind being flamed, I have a broad, asbestos back, so fire away.

I guess I don't spend a lot on our vacations because I've never had to pay more than $169 for my entire vacation, but then again it's just me (44) and my son (15). Being an ER nurse, as well as in disaster preparedness/emergency response, I'm a little (ok, a lot) paranoid about things happening to my family and me in a less than 1st world country. I want that medivac flight out as soon as possible.

I use travel guard and usually buy the gold package.

Then there are the ones who say they are young and healthy. Nope, nothing would ever happen to them.;)

And they are most likely to be the ones who rent mini bikes and end up in an accident!

Anyone who travels without travel insurance is just plain stupid. Insurance is exactly that, insurance. Hopefully you'll never need to use it, but you just may and when you do you'll be glad you have it.

Sorry, but you did call people STUPID.

Anyone that does anything without insurance could be stupid, naive, not so smart, very smart, wise, financially able. But to call folks STUPID is not right.

Meanwhile, many people buy insurance for emotional reasons like : I don't want to miss the cruise, or I can not afford to pay for a cruise I can not take, etc.

Getting coverage for medical is valid. But, millions of Americans have ZERO health insurance at all. Stupid? Maybe, maybe not.

I've never bought travel insurance. As far as trip cancellation, I feel that I am self-insured and know how unlikely it is that I will cancel the trip (my work has contract guarantees for vacation time, no one in my family is in poor health, and if I broke my leg I'd hobble into the airport anyway and deal with it later). As far as medical insurance, all my medical insurance documents claim they will cover me internationally the same way they do at home. Of course I'm concerned about being stranded somewhere with crazy medical bills because there are all the clauses about needing things "pre-approved" and "medically necessary"; but all the travel insurances I have looked at contain those clauses too so I'm not sure that they would be any better to work with.

Sadly, you are mistaken. Tib/Fib fracture with external fixation will rule out hobbling to the airport. Even people in good health can, and do, get burst appendix and/or kidney stones. Trust me, you will cancel if any of these occur.

If it occurs out of the U.S., you will want the "medivac" and other provisions that will pay for your traveling companions' extra costs. Or, if in certain third world countries , the costs to get a relative by your bedside with cash in hand . . .

We always purchase cruise insurance, and in 2012 we needed it.

We had just arrived onboard and had gone to our stateroom to look around, when I experienced chest pains. Down to see the ships MD via wheelchair, then off the ship to the hospital, which turned out to be a four night stay with angioplasty and stent placement.

What helped immensely, was the interpreter that was provided by CruiseCare. She was never more than a call away, and was with us for the duration of my 4 night hospital stay. She ensured my partner had hotel accommodations, and that our luggage was transported there.

She interpreted the medication orders, since they were all written in Spanish.

The insurance did not cover my medical expenses for my hospital stay nor surgery, I had to pay for those with a credit card, (later to be reimbursed by our primary care medical insurance). The insurance did pay for the return flights for me and my partner, and for the hotel for four nights in Barcelona and cab fares between the hospital and hotel, and then to the airport, which would have been significantly more than the insurance premium cost.

After that experience, we will never travel without it. The peace of mind and the interpreter service, when needed, are priceless!

Happy Cruising,

tnt

With the (potential) tropical storm coming in to Houston right now, I realized that I had not yet purchased trip insurance and bought it yesterday. If we would have been traveling today it probably would have already paid for itself since the policy I bought pays out $750 if the itinerary is changed for any reason and it looks like they are doing that to avoid the weather. But regardless, traveling with my kids, I'd rather spend $98 on the peace of mind, than end up begging on the internet like that Mexico family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got 3 stories and they all happened to us while we were cruising

1. While trying to get to Miami for a cruise in February several years ago, a major storm caused flight cancellations all up the east coast. We arrived late after taking a taxi from Portland Maine to Boston and then on a flight to Miami. While hop skipping and jumping all over the place, our luggage was misplaced somewhere. We had to spend $1500 on new clothes and suitcases, $300 in cab fare to Boston and unscheduled hotels and meals - all covered by insurance.

2. In 2010 I was hit by a wave in Nassau and broke my collarbone. Ended up in the hospital on the ship then transported on to the Doctor's Hospital in Nassau - when I finally made it back to the ship we had incurred $2000 in Medical bills - all covered.

3. This past year our son woke up in Florida the day after we arrived for our Indy cruise with what ended up being Norovirus. Two trips to the hospital, cat scans, blood tests, prescriptions - over $5000. All covered by insurance.

Even young healthy people get hurt and get sick. I cant count how many times I've heard someone say they don't buy insurance because they're healthy. I was and so was my son. We would have been $7K in the hole and had I needed surgery for my collarbone, it would have easily been $20-$30K.

Anyone who doesn't get insurance is irresponsible in my books and is gambling with their financial future.

For those of us over a certain age, remember Medicare does not cover medical expenses incurred in Europe for sure (and I think it is anywhere outside the US). Transatlantic this spring, day and a half out of Boston our friend had a stroke. On Medicare and no travel insurance so two trips to dispensary out of his pocket. Postponed an MRI in Ireland because it would have been out of pocket and figured the ship would have sent him home which would have meant new flights out of pocket plus the cost of the already scheduled flights home he would have lost. As it turned out, he recovered and was almost back to normal by the time we got to the end of the cruise but is now a believer in trip insurance.