Income of Royal Caribbean Passengers

What is your cruising family's household income?  

734 members have voted

1. 1. What is your cruising family's household income?

• 0-40,000
    • 40,001-80,000
    • 80,001-120,000
    • 120,001-180,000
    • 180,001 +

It depends where I'm going. The difference between Hawaii and Ft Lauderdale isn't going to be enough to be a deciding factor but it's a huge factor for Europe, Asia or Australia. In fact it may well be the deciding factor on somewhere like Australia.

Unless we cruise out of Sydney (still involves travel and accommodation), we are always flying to a port first and unless in Australia, it is always vast distances.

It depends where I'm going. The difference between Hawaii and Ft Lauderdale isn't going to be enough to be a deciding factor but it's a huge factor for Europe, Asia or Australia. In fact it may well be the deciding factor on somewhere like Australia.

Absolutely. We typically take a Florida vacation, so we gotta get there regardless of the event. However if we were going to do a Michigan U.P. Vacation instead, something we've considered, well then that transportation to the cruise becomes a negative by comparison.

I converted our joint UK income into USD and voted.

As we invariably fly to join a cruise ship, and arrive near the departure port at least 1 day prior to sailing (which is necessary if flying to the US or Europe), then I consider all ancillary spend to be part of the total cruise vacation cost as we are incurring these in order to take the cruise.

E.g. Our last sailing in May cost us $6660 total for 2 of us.

If you need a breakdown, then

Air Fare $2300

Cruise $2385

Pre cruise hotel $375

Car Rental $100 (pre and post cruise one way rentals)

Incidentals (spending money) $1500

So as you see, due to the cost of air fare from the UK to Florida, we can't ignore it and so I include it as part of the total cruise cost.

Our next sailing in Sept is in the Mediterranean and total cost is $6100

Air Fare $800

Cruise $3800

Pre & Post cruise hotels $530

Car Parking $70

Incidentals (spending money) $900

Interesting isn't it that the Med cruise costs approximately $1400 more than the Caribbean cruise for the same number of days (8)? However, this does include $700 worth of beverage packages so in reality the difference is possibly only $700 more expensive than the Caribbean cruise.

Luckily the air fare is $1500 less so that balances out more or less against the cost of flying to Florida.

The only reason the overall total is less is that as we have beverage packages included we won't have as many incidentals (read drinks!) to pay for.

Even if the Med cruise cost less due to the inclusion of the beverage package (these were worth $700) we would have had to up our incidentals budget, so it would roughly be the same cost to us.

Still doesn't change the fact that we enjoy quite expensive vacations for our income.

It seems to me that most reported net worth as income.

Not necessarily. If a number of folks posting are retirees, then indeed their stated income may only be $60,000. Many no longer are raising children, have mortgage payments, spending on our homes, saving for retirement, saving for their children's college, etc. We are living on investments and Social Security in the US. So our income appears less.

For DH and me, we have a vacation account we draw from that is funded primarily from rebates on credit cards and tax refunds due to my small business.

Remember, income is not net worth.

Edited by temple1

I keep hoping for a miracle upgrade one day :D Or one of those deals where Im able to go to OV balcony for little to no more money. That could be a bad thing though as Ive often heard once you go with a oceanview balcony it is almost impossible to downgrade on other cruises :o

I'm a perfect example of the inability to downgrade after experiencing a balcony years ago. Guess that's why I only can afford 1 cruise per year! ;)

I'm a perfect example of the inability to downgrade after experiencing a balcony years ago. Guess that's why I only can afford 1 cruise per year! ;)

Currently in an Aft JS on Freedom. I have no problem going back to a less expensive category. However, absolutely loved our Cabana on Labadee. Hopefully being D+ will allow us to do that more often.

1435256516451.jpg.057264c43f2833a2a4306396ff52acba.jpg

This is a totally anonymous survey do not feel the need to answer if you do not feel so inclined!

A crew member we became close with on a cruise last weekend commented about how passengers are all rich and have lots of disposable income.

That has not ever been my perception of mainstream cruising but I see how to a crew member from a poor country would see anybody taking a vacation as rich so I wanted to do an unofficial general poll about it.

I ask that nobody comment anything snide, controversial, suggestive, etcetera and let the pool run its course.

Nothing on the internet is truly anonymous. This is a ridiculous and totally unnecessary poll. The wording of the poll in itself is "controversial" and "suggestive".

Edited by sailaway2010

I was unaware there were any cabana benefits due to being D+. What did I miss?

There really aren't. However, you do have access to Concierge and you can beg. ;). I contacted Raul early and asked to be put on waiting list

This is a totally anonymous survey do not feel the need to answer if you do not feel so inclined!

A crew member we became close with on a cruise last weekend commented about how passengers are all rich and have lots of disposable income.

That has not ever been my perception of mainstream cruising but I see how to a crew member from a poor country would see anybody taking a vacation as rich so I wanted to do an unofficial general poll about it.

I ask that nobody comment anything snide, controversial, suggestive, etcetera and let the pool run its course.

This is the stupidest post I've EVER seen on here.

This is the stupidest post I've EVER seen on here.

How so?:confused:

Nothing wrong with this poll. Actually very interesting. Take it with a grain of salt and you can see the truth. Why the big deal with bashing it?

Who knows why some people have to really be a Critic on everything.

Edited by MicCanberra

Personally, I think some bashing it have either a hard time believing that households have incomes at the top of this poll or they're envious that they do. Sorry, but as has been established, there are areas that cost a whole lot more to live in than others and some of us are older than others and are at the peak of our earning years. For those who think it's not anonymous, show us what each person who voted makes please.

I also agree there should be another tier above 180K because I personally know multiple two income families that make close to 300K per year. Two GS-15 federal gov employees easily make 250-300K per year. Where I work and live are a lot of engineers which is a fairly high income career.

Edited by BND

I just want to live on a cruise ship! Someone to make my bed, clean my bathroom, be nice no matter what, serve me meals especially dinner where I don't have to cook or clean up, bring me more to eat than I possibly can, linen tablecloths, coffee on a balcony looking at the ocean, entertainment nightly, different views daily, ahhhhhh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk