Mass on Easter Sunday?

CruisinCadie

We are looking at a cruise that includes Easter Sunday. Will Princess have a priest to say Mass? I think they are supposed to, but can I really count on it?

Thanks,

Kathy

Believe there are many threads on similar topics, but the short answer is almost certainly not, unless you have a priest as a passenger.

They used to guarantee it on Easter and Christmas. I don't know if they dropped this or not. On other sailings, it was if there were Priests on board willing to provide services.

-----

I can't see where they list this anymore.

Edited by Coral

It was definitely quietly dropped a year or so ago as a standard you could count on. You'll only have Mass if a priest is onboard traveling at his own expense. Princess won't comp him a cabin. Of course, there will likely be some sort of non-denominational service on board on Easter. It might be sufficient for some Catholics; others, like my mom, would to swim to shore to get to Mass on Easter. :eek:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

"Religious Services

"We respect our guests' religious beliefs and invite them to practice on their own or with their fellow guests. Guests who wish to lead religious services may volunteer by contacting the Guest Services desk or a member of the Cruise Staff. In some cases, our shipboard staff will lead services. However, Princess Cruises does not place clergy on board our vessels.

"Clergy traveling as Guests onboard our vessels are welcome to conduct services while sailing. They should leave their name, cabin number, and services offered at the Guest Services Desk and they will be contacted by a member of the Cruise Director's Staff. Approval of services will be made based on schedule suitability, appropriate onboard supplies, etc. Please bring your Letter of Celebret or Letter of Good Standing with you to provide to the onboard staff.

"Please note that during Passover, there will be a Seder service (including Passover meal) held onboard. For Hanukkah, services are available and will be guest-led with wine, Challah bread, prayers and an electric Menorah (no candles or live flames) provided by Princess. Supplies are present and available for anyone who wants to lead the service at 5:30 PM on Friday evenings.

"If you would like to bring on your own Menorah, you may. However, since candles are prohibited onboard all Princess ships, it must be electric (no live flame)."

Edited by cboyle

Celebrity and Holland America still have Catholic priests onboard. We have a dear priest friend who has cruised 28 times in the last 12 years. He uses his vacation from his parish to act as the (hired) ship priest. He is leaving to go back to Alaska ( 6th time) in a couple weeks.

Edited by eandj

Thanks. There are several dates for the cruise we are considering, so we will chose another sailing. Easter is one of those big holy days we don't want to miss.

Kathy

I respect your decision to select another travel.date.

Perhaps Roman Catholics who choose to celebrate the Holydays of Christmas and Easter should comment to Princess about the decision not to offer a Mass on those two important days.

If enough people make comments,perhaps the policy will change.

Thanks. There are several dates for the cruise we are considering, so we will chose another sailing. Easter is one of those big holy days we don't want to miss.

Kathy

Is Easter a sea day for you? We did Mass at ports a couple times. Just took a little research to pick the church and time.

We have cruised Princess on Easter several times in the past and had Mass. It was always well attended in fact they did not have enough consecrated hosts once so everyone did not get communion even though the priest split them into small pieces. If they have discontinued Easter Mass I may reconsider cruising Easter in the future.

Honestly, this was not the best decision by Princess. They could easily cut one bad juggler and give the room to a Clergy member on Easter and Christmas cruises.

At one time, HAL provided a priest on every sailing.

This past year, on the Emerald Princess, we had a Good Friday service and an Easter service on Saturday b/c we were going to disembark on Easter Sunday. They were both led by the cruise Director Lee Childers; they were both moving services and two of the most beautiful services I have attended. It was a non denominational service and for the Easter service there were a few clergy that passed our communion.....I told him after the service that he had missed his calling.....

eclue:rolleyes:

This past year, on the Emerald Princess, we had a Good Friday service and an Easter service on Saturday b/c we were going to disembark on Easter Sunday. They were both led by the cruise Director Lee Childers; they were both moving services and two of the most beautiful services I have attended. It was a non denominational service and for the Easter service there were a few clergy that passed our communion.....I told him after the service that he had missed his calling.....

eclue:rolleyes:

I like Lee as a CD, but others here might agree with you.

Is Easter a sea day for you? We did Mass at ports a couple times. Just took a little research to pick the church and time.

Yes, Easter is a sea day. But no problem, as I said, as we have several other options. In fact, I think we're going to revisit Alaska in August instead.

Kathy

It was definitely quietly dropped a year or so ago as a standard you could count on. You'll only have Mass if a priest is onboard traveling at his own expense. Princess won't comp him a cabin. Of course, there will likely be some sort of non-denominational service on board on Easter. It might be sufficient for some Catholics; others, like my mom, would to swim to shore to get to Mass on Easter. :eek:

Your Mom had it right.

Honestly, this was not the best decision by Princess. They could easily cut one bad juggler and give the room to a Clergy member on Easter and Christmas cruises.

At one time, HAL provided a priest on every sailing.

I have been on two Christmas cruises on the Pacific Princess and there could not have been a more secular "celebration" of the day. Songs sung were of the Jingle Bell variety and the list included "A Few of My Favorite Things". But last year on the Island Princess there really were carols being sung, much to my relief. Incidentally, I've been on cruises were the priests were of the new variety; I would have been better off staying in my cabin, so don't despair if you're at sea with no priest on board. It's a crap shoot nowadays.