Tipping on Europe cruises

We are sailing Zuiderdam in a few weeks and I am wondering if we should bring extra $1s or should I get euros to tip with? (For drinks, room service, etc) Thanks! Rick

While the currency of the ship is US $, when you are in Europe that is the currency that is used in ports (for those crew going ashore).

Either is fine IMO in Europe. The crew are appreciative of tips .

From my many Azamara and Silversea cruise I know that the crew much prefer tipping in Euro's on Med voyages. They use them to buy toiletries, phone cards, sweets and sometimes alcohol if not Muslim, ashore. They also go for meals off the ship sometimes. Dollars are no good for any Med countries. Although, of course, any currency is better than none! :)

From my many Azamara and Silversea cruise I know that the crew much prefer tipping in Euro's on Med voyages. They use them to buy toiletries, phone cards, sweets and sometimes alcohol if not Muslim, ashore. They also go for meals off the ship sometimes. Dollars are no good for any Med countries. Although, of course, any currency is better than none! :)

Crew have their own Purser and if needed, they can change $$ for Euros on board.... I've been told. If not correct, someone please advise. Right now the U.S. $$ is fairly good on exchange.

Edited by sail7seas

Since one Euro is presently worth about 14% more than one dollar, even if the recipient has to pay an exchange premium somewhere s/he will be better off getting Euros.

Edited by catl331

Thanks for the replies! We are going to Greece as well on the July 11 cruise. Not sure what the reference about the Greece reference was about. Have heard about the economic issues but dont think that it would have any impact. Thanks again....will use euros.

Well yes, there may certainly be an impact if there is a Greek exit from the European Union next week....as is looking potentially likely at this point if they don't comply with European Bank directives.

For one thing, if Greece is no longer part of the EU then Greek euro's will become useless....as the euro can be used throughout the European Union countries many people will have Greek issued Euro's in their currency exchange and not even know it. All Greek Euro's have numbers starting with the letter Y. They may have to revert to their old currency of drachma.

There will be impact on border controls....no more free travel for European citizens etc. Of course, we don't know what will happen yet but there is potential for huge disruption if you are travelling to Greece and the "Grexit" occurs. Strikes and protests will probably happen too. Hopefully the financial "powers that be" can sort this emergency out but if they can't then Greece is in big trouble and so is the EU.

Follow the news carefully....on British or European news channels, not American ones.

I suspect that 99.9% of the crew will be happy with euros or dollars...there are exchange booths everywhere if they want or need to change money.

A tip in most any currency will be appreciated. I can't imagine any crew person ever whining because you tipped in USD.

A tip in most any currency will be appreciated. I can't imagine any crew person ever whining because you tipped in USD.

Agreed.

However, I understand that it's easier for the ship crew to use US dollars. That is the currency they deal with on the ship when they manage their accounts. The crew gets very little time off to go ashore and spend money; they tend to send most of it home. It's easier for them to do that in USD. I'm sure it's easy for them to get Euro on board, should they need it. Also, in Europe, the Europeans will be more likely to tip in Euro, so crew gets local currency that way.

Now, local tour guides are another matter. I tip them in their local currency, so long as I still have some remaining. The times I've run out, I tip in USD, and hope they get enough to make it worth their while to exchange it.

Sort of difficult to do when you are in the U.S. And, why not the American ones?

Actually, my Comcast Cable has BBC and I listen to it often.

Also, CNN very late night/early morning has foreign correspondents.

Not only do they not have extensive coverage of international events, the coverage they do have is often substandard and geared more towards entertainment and sensationalism. We much prefer BBC and Al Jazeera.