Get rid of The Compass?

Condense the compass to one sheet, both sides, get rid of the inserts, fine.

Recycle, fine.

Alternative digital compass for those who want it, fine.

BUT keep the paper copy for me please!

I don't have a photographic memory and I don't carry my phone or other device around on the ship. I'm not a frequent cruiser so I don't have times and activities and locations memorized each day - I use the compass throughout the day for those frequent times we change our plans or forget (brain burp) what the plan is. I highlight my compass each day, it's easy to see what's on our agenda... Yes I could go back to the cabin or seek out a device on the ship to get the information, but for me, it's easier to pull out my compass.

I like carrying the schedule of events with me. And no, I don't want to lose the paper option for some electronic app on my phone.

Royal could significantly cut the paper use by eliminating all the inserts in the compass.

Ditto!!!!

It's worse when it's misplaced and you need additional copies to know what to do for the next activity.

On DCL, you can get the daily activities on your mobile device with their wifi.

Add a couple hundred dollars to the cost of the cruise for me to lose another mobile device. No, I'll just miss activities, because I refuse to carry one.

I like carrying the schedule of events with me. And no, I don't want to lose the paper option for some electronic app on my phone.

Royal could significantly cut the paper use by eliminating all the inserts in the compass.

Agreed...I prefer the paper that can easily fit in my purse with the schedule. I would hate to have to keep running to the computers around the ship or some app on my phone (which we will not have a data plan on the ship).

Now that I think about it, if they did away with all the flyers and inserts, it would probably only mean an exacerbation of another nuisance- MESSAGE

I wish I could "opt out" of all the messages they keep leaving on my voice mail in my stateroom. The Concierge leaves a daily message, then notifications about art auctions and whatever else. I think I'm going to just start to bring electrical tape to just cover the blinking light and never bother listening...:rolleyes:

Now that I think about it, if they did away with all the flyers and inserts, it would probably only mean an exacerbation of another nuisance- MESSAGE

I wish I could "opt out" of all the messages they keep leaving on my voice mail in my stateroom. The Concierge leaves a daily message, then notifications about art auctions and whatever else. I think I'm going to just start to bring electrical tape to just cover the blinking light and never bother listening...:rolleyes:

Same thing with the "messages" they leave on the interactive TV. They are all advertisements, and I've gotten to the point of not paying attention to them anymore.

On our Disney cruise, they left messages on our phone, but I didn't listen to them. If they had anything to say that was worth hearing, I have no doubt they would have reached us.

They could also use it to send invites to C&A events, for example, and confirmation of bookings (which could then add themselves to your "My calendar" on acceptance).

That is already happening on Anthem. No invite cards anymore. It is done through the on screen message system.

I agree: keep the Compass but get rid of the inserts and sales info. I like having them to know what's going on without using a TV, listening to phone messages or using WIFI. I like adding them to my scrapbook after the trip - - memories are fun!

Not me! I like things a bit "old fashion" . Can't stand to use apps. Don't particularly enjoy having to Google everything in life. I remember using a rotary phone to make a call and talking to a real person in the same country as me. I still read books on paper. I like my menus on paper. I take a highlighter with me and highlight the things in the daily compass that interest me. I don't want my life to fly by me electronically! But that is just me. No I don't think I am OLD just a bit old fashion when it comes to some things.

Add a couple hundred dollars to the cost of the cruise for me to lose another mobile device. No, I'll just miss activities, because I refuse to carry one.

Ah the voice of reason, my favorite fellow cruiser BillOh :) Please tell your lovely wife hello as well.

As to carrying around a paper Compass or a mobile device, I would much rather forget my cruise compass than my cell phone. It is far too likely that I would walk off and forget my phone, especially if it fell off of a table or got stuck in a seat cushion. If I want that information with me once I get off the ship, it would mean I would have to take my phone out in town as well. Not likely for me.

With super techno folks, kids or teens, the phone or tablet is almost an appendage. They would never forget it.

I think the inserts could probably be eliminated. Too much "stuff." Just a small schedule like most people tear off of their cruise compass would be fine as far as I am concerned. I do like reading a little something about the next day's port so I feel a little more informed.

As to the suggestion to put them on the messages/ on screen messages- I never turned on the TV in our cabin on our last cruise. I hope no messages came in. Yikes.

We did a drink package this last time, so I knew what my bar bill was going to look like. Didn't have to keep tabs on that.

I really don't seem them totally eliminating the Compass. If they do, I will adapt.

All I know is by the end of the cruise we have a pile of papers a mile high most we NEVER look at , have 10 TV stations that are cruise related never watch any of them or hardly any , how hard would it be to have one that has a copy of the events going on and upcoming as you go bed flip it on and check out the next day events. But I have to beg for ice on a cruise that they want to save.

Those "how we built this ship" documentaries always suck me in. One of them was showing how a scale model of the ship would handle during emergency turning. Long story short, the ship failed miserably (too top heavy) but they put some sort of stabilizers on it and the "too much tilt" issue was solved.

I wish I could just watch them at home or get a DVD to get me pumped up for the next cruise/ship.

If they do ever do away with the cruise compass, I assume the digital ipad/iphone version would take over. Don't see this sitting well with most cruisers. Part of cruising is the ability to put away your phone and relax.

If they do force digital on us, do I need to pay for access to the internet to view the compass? Or do they have some other wifi for that use. Already too confusing. Couple that with the absolutely awful internet you find on-board (I know that's changing)

Edited by Studio472

Like having the paper compass. Quick reference, folds up easy to take. Do not want to carry electronics, leave phone by the pool, be trying to see phone in bright daylight, etc. Paper is fine.

Yes, too many flyers for ads and sales and junk mail.

I don't see them ever truly getting rid of it. Nor do I think having a tablet version is a palatable alternative.

Instead, I certainly think it could be streamlined. In addition, having the rest of the information available on your stateroom television, and the interactive screens at each stairwell couldn't hurt.

We need a paper compass with the port authority information clearly printed. Also restaurant times as well as programming less attention to advertising.

Also, stop printing out every photo. Let us preview them on the television, and order them from there.

100% agree... Although the old crawl like the paper, I will prefer 1,000,000 time electronic compass... With an electronic one, they can keep the program must updated and in the event of changes, new times can be displayed and not wondering and making lines in guests services asking when is the show...

Also should be great if the app can accommodate your shows schedule with your dinner time so you can plan more accurate.

We are in year 2015... NO MORE PAPER... PROTECT THE PLANET... SAVE THE WAVES... :cool::cool:

Though I haven't been on a cruise in years, I do recall the excess paper delivered with the daily agenda. What about this for a happy medium? Take volunteers to opt out of the paper? Many want/love their paper copies, others prefer paper. Just like hotels, you can opt to not have your sheets/towels changed out daily to be environmentally kind. Why not allow people to opt out, if they choose, but continue to give the paper copy for those that want it.

That said, they would need to have a really good app. I am not overly impressed with their website, so I wonder if they have it in them to build a great app.

they dont do that anymore

Yes and no ;) We have been on ships that have not followed that policy!

It might be lack of revenue driven when the HD has to improve his bottom line on a given cruise.

We don't have phones or tablets so we need the paper. And from our experience on Quantum, most of the time the electronic wayfinders by the elevators weren't working. So we'll rely on the hard copy and not worry about losing it or if the electronic options are working.