New Internet Policy - RCCL

Why do you assume that I am a couple?

If you would please read this, it says that YOU, one person, who is Diamond Plus, get $59.90. That gives you TWO free days, or $59.90 to put towards a package.

On a recent cruise - I am looking around for the actual paper, and can't put my hands on it right at this moment - a week of internet was $140. Subtract $60 from that, and you would pay $80 for a week of unlimited internet.

Is that ok with you?

Sorry, I thought that you had indicated it was x2. I was just a lowly Diamond at the time so didn't get that much off. Thus the confusion. So are you saying as part of a couple the benefit is $59.90 x2?

As I indicated in another post, my root issue is not so much with the Diamond/Diamond Plus benefits but more with the actual internet policy which does not allow us to manage our minutes over the course of the cruise but forces us to choose an overpriced internet package or go for days without access.

To be honest with you I think the Diamond/Diamond Plus benefits are all wonderful all be it less for those of us who are single.

I can easily survive the new internet policy, but -

as a D+ couple you receive 2x2 free 24 hr segments per cruise. That works very well for 5 day and 7 day cruises. But you only get the same 24 hr free segments on a 14 or 16 day cruise. My last cruise was a 16 night Med/Suez/Arabian cruise and a total of 4 days free internet was too little compared with shorter cruises.

The cruise before the last was a 5 day, b2b 7 day, and b2b 15 night TA cruise. The total of 4 days free internet for a couple was just great for the 5 and 7 day cruise segment, but certainly not favorable for the l5 night TA. I wish they consider a kind of "yard stick " for the 24 hr free internet bonus like i.e. the 7 day cruise and i.e.double it for cruises that last 14 days and longer.

The policy as of today does not discriminate between a 5 day or a 16 day cruise!

I couldn't let this pass without saying that I really like the new internet plans and packages and hope that they continue.

Thank you, exactly my thoughts. A few years ago unlimited internet was REALLY expensive on RCCL-ships. It's quite a bargain now, I'm more than satisfied with it.

I also want to chime in that, as a younger cruiser who runs his own business and needs (and wants) always on access, Royal Caribbean's internet packages are much better than the other lines I've sailed on.

I don't want to ration minutes and worry about huge costs. I want to have my iPhone connected all the time so I can keep in touch.

On Splendour of the Seas, the first/only cruise with Royal, I was able to pay a fixed amount to have always-on access for the entire cruise. This was a lifesaver, especially as I was travelling without my partner!

I'm now hearing that on Anthem I should be able to get high speed, always on internet for only $15/day? Yes please!

Going forward, these prices are easy to find out before you cruise. If you need access and aren't willing to pay the prices to get connecting in the middle of the ocean then perhaps a land-based holiday would be more appropriate.

For OP, this policy changed after they booked, so I can certainly understand the frustration. It blows all budgeting out of the water when you're faced with an unexpected bill, so don't think she should be criticised as strongly as she has been.

And in fairness, for those wishing to ration minutes and spend energy managing their time to save a couple dollars, I guess leaving the pay as you go or minute bundle packages as an option wouldn't be a bad thing. It'll minimise their use and leave the bandwidth for the rest of us! ;)

EDIT: FWIW, I still think $15/day is expensive for access to something that is basically now a utility and essential in many folks lives. Eventually I think we'll start to see included internet or significantly cheaper packages. Royal is, at least, moving in the right direction.

Edited by dst87

OP, it might be time to cut your ties with RC. Perhaps there is a cruise line that has free internet and you can sail with them. Princess used to give free wifi for suite guests and free laundry.

OP, it might be time to cut your ties with RC. Perhaps there is a cruise line that has free internet and you can sail with them. Princess used to give free wifi for suite guests and free laundry.

Still does, if you have loyalty status you can get a certian amount of free internet minutes (i.e. 500 minutes for Elite on a cruise of a certain length).:D

Edited by MicCanberra

By the way, if you keep sailing with Royal Caribbean, when you hit 340 points, your single fare is capped at 150%, instead of paying 200%. THAT's a decent benefit, don't you think?
Wow...did not know this. Thanks!:)

My mom just sailed on the Jewel in April and was able to use her Diamond benefit as minutes and did not have to buy the daily access.

FWIW, if a 14 night cruise is around $200, I'm ok with that. But I get the issue with not differentiating the number of free days in a 7 night cruise vs a 14+ night cruise and wish they would address that.

Edited by sr4mjc

I prefer unlimited over per minute. It makes it easier to stay connected with low use things like email and messaging. The pricing is still excessive, but its just something I allow for. I've already "purchased" OBC to pay for the Internet on our next cruise.

While it sounds simple to keep the old plans the newer ships may not have the software to handle the billing of per minute usage. They may have decided it wasn't worth implementing because the majority of people now want to be connected 24/7. Whether it's good or bad that's the way the world is now. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

If you only want occasional connectivity, you could use port Wifi or mobile roaming texting to check in.

I prefer unlimited over per minute. It makes it easier to stay connected with low use things like email and messaging. The pricing is still excessive, but its just something I allow for. I've already "purchased" OBC to pay for the Internet on our next cruise.

While it sounds simple to keep the old plans the newer ships may not have the software to handle the billing of per minute usage. They may have decided it wasn't worth implementing because the majority of people now want to be connected 24/7. Whether it's good or bad that's the way the world is now. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

If you only want occasional connectivity, you could use port Wifi or mobile roaming texting to check in.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

Question, though: I didn't know you could buy OBC in advance and have ever particularly had any desire to do so... is this just a budgeting strategy for you, or is there some other benefit of doing it that I'm unaware of?

My mom just sailed on the Jewel in April and was able to use her Diamond benefit as minutes and did not have to buy the daily access.

FWIW, if a 14 night cruise is around $200, I'm ok with that. But I get the issue with not differentiating the number of free days in a 7 night cruise vs a 14+ night cruise and wish they would address that.

The new internet program was just introduced the first of April on Quantum, Oasis and Allure and slowly rolled out to all the other ships in the fleet.

It is possible that when you mom cruised, the new program was not in place on Jewel. It is now.

The new internet program was just introduced the first of April on Quantum, Oasis and Allure and slowly rolled out to all the other ships in the fleet.

It is possible that when you mom cruised, the new program was not in place on Jewel. It is now.

That's fine. I'll be on the Jewel in Nov and will probably do like others, connect during the day on a sea day and then use it the next morning. I can use my phone in St Thomas and look for Wifi in the other ports.

I know D+ status with the perks are expected, but not guaranteed but I do not like the new policy at all managing my minutes with the old perk works better for me. I do not do wave by wave details of my cruises and just use the internet for important emails from Banks, family etc. If something Major happened to family etc, I wonder how many of our families would know how to contact us.

The internet access is not just a novelty anymore it is a must have for many reasons. If I was not D+ I would have to buy some minutes.

Having said that, the new policy for a short 7 day cruise is OK with me, but on longer cruises and back to back cruises over many many days it is not acceptable.

They offered the pay by the minute plans on the newer ships up until now. This is a recent change in approach to billing.

Think about what you pay for internet on land for a month, now prorate that for the duration of the cruise.

Factor in reliability, because everything that I've read has been that the speed and reliability are NOT in line with the hype that surrounded the roll-out of the "smart ships".

Even if you decided that there should be a premium because you're at sea and because it's a nice to have on vacation.

I'm guessing that the amount you'd be charged is something like 1000% mark-up for a sub-par product.

On what corner of the planet, under what rock, in what hole, does that make sense?!?!?!?

Not sure what hotels you are staying at but ALL of the hotels that I've stayed at in the last 15 years of international travel have been 100% free.

We find that the less expensive road side motels/hotels like a holiday inn or Fairfield will give us Internet but the premium downtown hotels such as a Hyatt or Marriott often charge for Internet unless you fall into a premium category. We recently stayed at a Marriott in Dubai, and even though we were of the level to receive free Internet, because we had not booked our hotel room directly with the hotel and had used a booking site, we were required to pay for Internet. The fee was $16.95 per day.

M

Just off of Freedom, D+ level so we are entitled to 48 hours. Pleasantly surprised that this could be broken into 24 hour sessions. We sailed as a couple so we had a total of four 24 hour sessions.

I am one who likes new system. There was also an option to buy the week for $120 and after discount it was only $40. Also they had a discount for final two days that was two days, two devices for $60. We used Laura's coupon for that.

We sailed in a suite on Princess when they offered unlimited internet, and it was down for most of the cruise. Not long after that, they removed the internet perk from the suite perks.

The last time we sailed on Princess, they wouldn't give us a next cruise receipt, because one was getting emailed to us. But we hadn't bought the package, so there was no way to check to make sure they didn't glitch. If they insist on only sending receipts via internet, they need to comp us extra time so we can check.

Personally, I think the cost of internet on cruise ships is one of their biggest rip offs. 78 cents a minute for dial-up speeds? Give me a break!

On our B2B last spring, they gave us 15 minutes extra for their evaluation. On Princess, they gave us more like a month to complete the form, and not just a week.

Carnival has lowered their internet prices, so maybe Royal will soon follow.

Edited by knittinggirl

OP

we were disappointed, at first, with the new Internet policy as we have always been able to manage our minutes to get us by a 5–7 night cruise. We recently returned from a 15 night cruise and with the new Internet benefit, we were able to use one diamond plus discount, as well as a first day booking incentive, and the Internet for 15 days was in the $100– $115 range. To us, it was a small price to pay to be able to make contact with family members and /or business associates. We came to enjoy a 24 hour access, and will now likely buy an Internet package on every future cruise.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Everything I can find, the Internet package options still include one option for 60 minutes to be used at anytime through out your voyage for $30??? Additionally as a diamond plus c&a member you get 45 minutes for free??? It seems to me to a big kerfuffle about nothing.:confused:

Maybe it has changed in the last 30 days??

Just to let everyone know, I recalled Goldstein has once published in his blog regarding receiving these kind of emails, like threatening never to sail again just because of some changes etc.

He has received many of these all through the years and it doesn't sit well with him.

If you don't like the policy, then just leave, RCCL is not the only cruise line in the world and there are so many competing brands to choose from.

But based on what I have read in this forum, there are many posters who used to send these kinds of email that they will never sail again, but ended up still sailing with RCCL. :D

Edited by roquejo

I like the new policy. For D+, for 2 24 hour periods, you can check in for 4 days per traveler.

It's a perk. It's really not meant to be a useful business tool. If you need daily contact, better to purchase a package and write it off later. You can take $59.90 off your package as a D+ single, as MM mentioned.

When we had the 1 hour length of cruise limit, it was stressful keeping track of each minute. Sometimes you would waste minutes just logging on. I like this new perk better and I hope they continue it. It really is quite generous for 'free' minutes.