Oceania won't talk to me?

edgee

Today I phoned Oceania to track down some needed information my insurance company needs to pay a medical claim for some care my DW received on the Marina last month. An operator connected me to the customer care "department." After hearing a message about how much Oceania cares about their customers, I was told in a followup voice message that Oceania "customer care" only responds to email and faxes; they will not speak with you on the phone. I find this unbelievably callous and indifferent for a luxury cruise line. I understand that it is often more efficient to deal with matters in writing, and I will followup with an email…still I was put off by this way of dealing with customers. And BTW, if I need to communicate regarding such matters only in writing, why did the operator cheerfully connect me to the "customer care" department setting up the expectation that I would speak with a human?

Edited by edgee

Today I phoned Oceania to track down some needed information my insurance company needs to pay a medical claim for some care my DW received on the Marina last month. An operator connected me to the customer care "department." After hearing a message about how much Oceania cares about their customers, I was told in a followup voice message that Oceania "customer care" only responds to email and faxes; they will not speak with you on the phone. I find this unbelievably callous and indifferent for a luxury cruise line. I understand that it is often more efficient to deal with matters in writing, and I will followup with an email…still I was put off by this way of dealing with customers. And BTW, if I need to communicate regarding such matters only in writing, why did the operator cheerfully connect me to the "customer care" department setting up the expectation that I would speak with a human?

I had also medical claim as you I sent the request, exactly as] requested in writing . This is to me very professional and both parties thus will have a record of exactly what was said and needed. In dealing with legal issues there is no room for the touchy-feel . After receiving the written docs they called and e-mailed me a copy for my claim and mailed me a hard copy original. Whole process took about 3 weeks....

If it is important enough to say,its important enough to write.

I had also medical claim as you I sent the request, exactly as] requested in writing . This is to me very professional and both parties thus will have a record of exactly what was said and needed. In dealing with legal issues there is no room for the touchy-feel . After receiving the written docs they called and e-mailed me a copy for my claim and mailed me a hard copy original. Whole process took about 3 weeks....

If it is important enough to say,its important enough to write.

Thanks for the helpful information. Good to know that they can be cooperative on such matters. Oceania botched the information on the initial patient bill so my insurance company rejected it, thus I am trying again for them to get it right. I am fully prepared to put request in writing and have done so, but the ability to have a preliminary conversation with a real person would have been helpful due to some particular circumstances. Not a darn thing to do with touchy feel.

Thanks for the helpful information. Good to know that they can be cooperative on such matters. Oceania botched the information on the initial patient bill so my insurance company rejected it, thus I am trying again for them to get it right. I am fully prepared to put request in writing and have done so, but the ability to have a preliminary conversation with a real person would have been helpful due to some particular circumstances. Not a darn thing to do with touchy feel.

I agree, this doesn't sound right to me, they should be capable of at least talking to you, if only to explain the correct procedure.

I agree also that what is Customer Care if you can't talk to someone---they don't know what you want or need unless they listen. I realize for medical they need it in writing, but come on let's talk.

Rick

When called I was directed to the person who handles the claims a recording answered explaining what they needed, how they needed it and to also submit my insurance claim request to me Also was the direction that I mail by hard copy , not fax or e-mail a document authorizing them to release the information to me... That's the way it works . Then and only then can they even talk to you.... The only talk they could do without receiving a hard copy release is Say good morning please follow the instruction you just heard.Thankyou

I am afraid we have created "this type of world" (or society) ourselves by needless and senseless litigations. These are the sour fruits of our labors - so let's enjoy them :D

The need for Torte Reform aside, I believe that the specific situation with Oceania which was addressed in this thread was prompted by the public fear of Big Brother involvement and information sharing of Medical Records which should (and perhaps must) remain private.

It was this need to maintain Medical confidentiality which resulted in the establishment of HIPAA, which has very strict rules about how such records may and may not be shared, and which carries extreme penalties....even if you are inquiring about yourself, your children or your spouse.

Some may feel slighted by the impersonal nature of the Regulations, but with all of the Hoopla surrounding "Pre-Existing Conditions" in connection with Travel Insurance, I would think that this audience would be mindful of the need for discretion.

And it's not all nonsense; without getting too lurid, I'm sure that we can all think of situations where the mere admission of treatment could end a career, break up a marriage or otherwise prove disastrous.

Stan & Jim,

Agree, "but" they can still answer the phone and let you know what you need to do to get the information.....I hate getting a recorded call from any company.

Rick

Anything that happens on the phone can end up "he said/she said." Major travel entities (including many major airlines) live by the CYA rule in reducing all interactions to writing.

Stan & Jim,

Agree, "but" they can still answer the phone and let you know what you need to do to get the information.....I hate getting a recorded call from any company.

Rick

Mind you Rick... it is dependent on the nature of you call and the department you are calling

In the cases cited we all called Oceaina and said we needed to file a claim.

Bingo this is not sent to a travel agent with a silky manner ....It is sent to the Legal dept/claim dept. Who ,don't want to say even 1 word that can not be documented in a court. Loose lips sink ships....and a wrong verb can trigger huge problems for from people trying to create themnlarger

The recording was most assuredly reviewed by staff lawyers to be defendable. Things must be in writing from both sides till the call and reason for the call can be evaluated for intent.

Please consider this same staff has to deal with things gone wrong or needing legal solution ( a medical claim and release IS a situation) And as said it is the LAW

Mind you Rick... it is dependent on the nature of you call and the department you are calling

In the cases cited we all called Oceaina and said we needed to file a claim.

Bingo this is not sent to a travel agent with a silky manner ....It is sent to the Legal dept/claim dept. Who ,don't want to say even 1 word that can not be documented in a court. Loose lips sink ships....and a wrong verb can trigger huge problems for from people trying to create themnlarger

The recording was most assuredly reviewed by staff lawyers to be defendable. Things must be in writing from both sides till the call and reason for the call can be evaluated for intent.

Please consider this same staff has to deal with things gone wrong or needing legal solution ( a medical claim and release IS a situation) And as said it is the LAW

Okay, I need to be clear here. I called Oceania and asked to be connected to guest relations. The operator said fine and connected me. At NO TIME did I tell the operator who connected me the (medically related) reason for my call. The operator said she would be happy to connect me. That was the point that I listened to messages saying how much Oceania cares, followed by a message that they want ALL inquiries to guest relations be in writing, suggesting zero option to talk to anyone by phone. Option foreclosed before you even have the ability to tell anyone why you are calling. That is what I found upsetting for a customer focused luxury or near luxury cruise line. We have since followed up in writing and our inquiry has received prompt attention..so Hawaiidan your point that written communication works and is sometimes required is a valid one. However, I think the ability to at least speak to someone in a guest relations department for guidance or whatever is still an important part of decent customer service.

Edited by edgee
clarity

Okay, I need to be clear here. I called Oceania and asked to be connected to guest relations. The operator said fine and connected me. At NO TIME did I tell the operator who connected me the (medically related) reason for my call. The operator said she would be happy to connect me. That was the point that I listened to messages saying how much Oceania cares, followed by a message that they want ALL inquiries to guest relations be in writing, suggesting zero option to talk to anyone by phone. Option foreclosed before you even have the ability to tell anyone why you are calling. That is what I found upsetting for a customer focused luxury or near luxury cruise line. We have since followed up in writing and our inquiry has received prompt attention..so Hawaiidan your point that written communication works and is sometimes required is a valid one. However, I think the ability to at least speak to someone in a guest relations department for guidance or whatever is still an important part of decent customer service.

The problem is that your a normal person with a good personality and humanistic feelings. The problem, created by members of the legal profession, is to use every advantage, tactic and communication as tools to "get" what you want. As one , a very accomplished one , told it" It is not about right or wrong..its about you winning no matter what"

Asking for guidance, advice or instructions is them rendering on behalf of the company legal opinion they can be held to in court. You get customer service when you talk to an agent.

You get in Guest services people calling to voice problems, rant, rave, threaten and laude... The do not know who you are a loyal passenger or a lawyer trying to stick it too them.

The sad reality is they have to be defensive and assume you call is going to be used possibly against you. This is why, no responsible company is going to chat in personal issues of any sort or give directions because " anything you say, anything, can and will be used against you in a court of law

You have to always approach customer service people in writing, clearly stating you reason for contacting them. They will respond the same in writing and things go from there after its well established what your want and intent is. They cant assume and need to from experience be very tight lipped until so

I will guess that O set up the "in writing" process based on experience. Not only does it avoid the "she said - he said" situations but is an efficient use of their office staff.

While I can't argue with the above reasons, another big reason is that it allows to company to lower costs by reducing staffing. Another possible reason that is used by some companies is to simply ignore requests in writing which is more difficult to do when speaking to the customer on the phone.

Sure one or more of the nothing can possibly be the companies' fault cheerleaders will dismiss these possibilities and not saying this is a reason for the non-answering but, it certainly could be.

The problem is that your a normal person with a good personality and humanistic feelings. The problem, created by members of the legal profession, is to use every advantage, tactic and communication as tools to "get" what you want. As one , a very accomplished one , told it" It is not about right or wrong..its about you winning no matter what"

Asking for guidance, advice or instructions is them rendering on behalf of the company legal opinion they can be held to in court. You get customer service when you talk to an agent.

You get in Guest services people calling to voice problems, rant, rave, threaten and laude... The do not know who you are a loyal passenger or a lawyer trying to stick it too them.

The sad reality is they have to be defensive and assume you call is going to be used possibly against you. This is why, no responsible company is going to chat in personal issues of any sort or give directions because " anything you say, anything, can and will be used against you in a court of law

You have to always approach customer service people in writing, clearly stating you reason for contacting them. They will respond the same in writing and things go from there after its well established what your want and intent is. They cant assume and need to from experience be very tight lipped until so

The ability to speak to someone on the phone remains the hallmark of good efficient customer service. The ability to ask a simple question verbally and get a quick answer works fine in most situations. Where written communication is necessary or preferred it always remains an option. In my many years of cruising I have not had to communicate with guest relations departments very often, but rarely have these interactions been of such importance or legal in nature such that the "had" to be in writing. The option to speak to a real person should never be totally foreclosed.

Edited by edgee
clarity

The ability to speak to someone on the phone remains the hallmark of good efficient customer service The ability to ask a simple question and get a quick answer works fine in most situations. Where written communication is necessary or preferred it always remains an option. Very few guest relations interactions with a cruise line need to be in writing for any kind of legal or documentation reason.

Best answer. I totally agree. One of the major reasons I cruise Crystal is because they have great customer service. For example, on one of my cruises I had to go see the ship's doctors. I had a bad cold. I had to pay the bill upfront. I think that the cost came to about $150. They gave me a receipt. I submitted it to my insurance company. They said they needed more information about the code. I contacted Crystal guest relations. They got in touch with the doctor and called my insurance company back. My insurance company told me they were satisfied with Crystal's response and paid me the total amount of my claim. I would not cruise with a cruise company that treated me the way Oceania treated the original poster.