Head's up, HAL: Luminae is excellent!

scamper

Celebrity has added a suite-passenger-only dining room on some of it's ships that we enjoyed recently. So much so it makes me look at Celebrity first when booking future cruises. Everything about this venue is on as high par as Pinnacle. It is available to all suite passengers, from Sky Suites to Reflection Suites. It's a beautiful, and often quiet room (much like Pinnacle at breakfast) and the service staff really want you to enjoy it. This is something HAL needs to take a really close look at, really quickly. To me, everything about HAL and Celebrity are on par with one another, but, to me, Luminae will start pushing me in the direction of Celebrity.

If this is what you like, please never book on HAL again.

If this is what you like, please never book on HAL again.

I'm having a difficult time understanding why the original poster is being treated with such scorn for simply submitting a recommendation that folks are free to agree or disagree with.

Yes, but it is not "in your face" the way it is on, say, Cunard. I was just on a segment of the Queen Vic's World Cruise and a large section of the quiet lounge was roped off during the day for only those on the entire World Cruise. It has also been my experience that the more a line encourages a class system, the more passengers take it to heart and interaction becomes clickish. Makes me feel like I'm back in high school.

I guess I am in a true minority. I could care less about the "Class System." I didn't pay for a suite, so I don't have access to the suite amenities. No different than walking through first class on a jet on your way back to the economy seats.

I'm not understanding why people think this is a "class system". Sometimes we sail in suites, and sometimes we don't. When I sail in a suite I take advantage of the extra's that come with the extra cost. Free laundry, Neptune Lounge, Priority boarding, etc. HAL allows breakfast (or is it lunch :confused:) in Pinnacle Grill if you are in a suite, so other than the fact that one is dinner and one is breakfast/lunch I don't see the difference with what Celebrity did. Neptune Lounge is it's own area for suite only guests also. Seems the same to me. I also don't understand the statement that cabanas are different because anyone can buy them - well anyone can book a suite also. This is capitalism, not a class system.

I totally agree with you. Having sailed in Neptune Suites and ocean view cabins on HAL, we've never felt there was a class system. Likewise on RCCL which also has a suite only restaurant on the new Oasis and Quantum class ships. Perhaps the "class system" is all in the mind. If I can afford a Neptune suite, I take advantage of the perks, but if I choose an ocean view cabin, I don't think my cruising experience is less. You get what you pay for in life.

I'm not understanding why people think this is a "class system". Sometimes we sail in suites, and sometimes we don't. When I sail in a suite I take advantage of the extra's that come with the extra cost. Free laundry, Neptune Lounge, Priority boarding, etc. HAL allows breakfast (or is it lunch :confused:) in Pinnacle Grill if you are in a suite, so other than the fact that one is dinner and one is breakfast/lunch I don't see the difference with what Celebrity did. Neptune Lounge is it's own area for suite only guests also. Seems the same to me. I also don't understand the statement that cabanas are different because anyone can buy them - well anyone can book a suite also. This is capitalism, not a class system.

I totally agree with you!! I am just now reading this thread and frankly am shocked at some of the comments being made. I am one that also has book from the Ocean View, Balcony and plenty of suites through the years.This is far from being a Class system...... Has no one ever heard the phrase "You get what you pay for" If you want those perks you pay for them plain and simple!! Those people who want those perks are paying for them. It truly is no different than First Class on air or rail there are always perks for those that pay the most.

Real Class system would be you can only go to Main and Dolphin Deck if you are not in the higher category. You have to go eat in this small room and have this very limited menu of low quality food. It is doubtful that system will happen again unless our society becomes the crazy bargain hunter that feel that someone is always getting a better deal than them :rolleyes:

Again I just state You Get what you pay for!!

This is the silliest, most bitter group of people I have ever seen in my life. It seems like a bunch of old biddy, budget-conscious people who resent those who can pay a more to get more. Jealous much? Sometimes we sail in suites, sometimes we don't. Whether we are on HAL, NCL, Celebrity, we definitely enjoy the perks of being in a suite when we pay for one. On the cruises in which we aren't in a suite, we don't begrudge those who are in suites. We did the "Suite Class" on Celebrity a few weeks ago. Yes, Luminae is amazing. Yes, it is nice to have a private dining area with such a great attention to detail. The cruise before that, we were in a regular veranda room. Why would we care if people on that same cruise were sailing in a suite and eating in Luminae? We had several other dining venues to choose from. We never went hungry. When we sail on HAL, we don't sail in a suite. Do we care if there are people in suites on those cruises who have a private concierge lounge? No. When we flew to our last cruise, we sat in Business Class. Did we care that there was a First Class cabin in front of us in which people had bigger beds, more elaborate food, more personalized service? No. What does it matter to anyone else? If I pay for a suite, I certainly expect more perks. Celebrity did the right thing for their bottom line, because now we will pay for a suite occasionally when we never would've seen the benefits to do so before. When I sail on HAL, I would not ever book a suite because there aren't enough perks to merit the cost.

Michael

OK a continued comment without a rant :D I think this would be wonderful if HAL did this and frankly I am a bit shocked they did not do this for the Koningsdam but who knows it still could happen...and actually I hope it does. I have dined in Blu on Celebrity and loved it while I am not a fan of Celebrity itself I did really like Blu and the dining for breakfast and dinner. As many know I am a big fan of NCL and love the Suite Life with them. Just this morning booked a 2017 cruise in my favorite category aft suite. I do not mind spending extra money when I feel I am getting that extra attention and perks. Sadly I do not think that HAL offers enough for those in the Suite categories. To me their Suite perks are just BLAH compared to what the other cruise lines are offering. Which is why HAL suites do not sell and why they are truly the only cruise line that has to offer cruise after cruise Upsell offers close to sailing. You never or at least hardly ever see that happen with Celebrity, NCL or RCI because those suites sell out early. The cabin I just booked was for March 2017 and my favorite cabin was already gone but I took the next best but only a couple remained in this whole category. That is something that never happens with HAL in Suites at least in the Vista Class and higher. I honestly think if HAL offered something like this it would bring on more cruiser and fill their ships a bit more.

I dunno. The cruise we are going on, all the Vista and up cabins are sold out, but there are still OV and inside cabins available.

I'm not at all sure I see the point to "suite only" restaurants. What is a suite passenger getting with such a restaurant that they wouldn't be getting if the restaurant were open to everybody? The only thing I can think of that doesn't boil down to "don't have to eat with the riff-raff" is perhaps less competition for dining slots, but that could always be adjusted by changing the size of the restaurant, having more than one of them, or making dining there free for suite passengers, but have a surcharge for everyone else.

Seems like there's less of a reason for a non-suite passenger to want to sail on Celebrity though. Unless they cut prices. As for comparisons with first class on airplanes or trains, I haven't flown in years, but when I did, you could buy most of the first class amenities even if you weren't in first class. Not to mention that on a plane or train, you're there for a matter of hours or a day or so, not the several days or weeks you'd be on a cruise ship. You largely stay in your seat for the trip, which is not at all like being on a cruise ship.

.... The cabin I just booked was for March 2017 and my favorite cabin was already gone but I took the next best but only a couple remained in this whole category. That is something that never happens with HAL in Suites at least in the Vista Class and higher. I honestly think if HAL offered something like this it would bring on more cruiser and fill their ships a bit more.

The Holland America Suites used to sell out with more regularity, but over the years HAL has reduced the suite perks. Fewer cocktail parties, less opportunity for the Suite Lunch, and so on. There have been a fair number of threads on the changes to Neptune Suites here on CC, so it's nothing new.

If the competition has decided to introduce a better suite package, I don't see anything wrong with it. Some people want to pay the premium. Others don't. The competition is good for the consumer. Heck, the upcoming Carnival Vista is going to have a private pool and cabana area for its high end suites.

I think most everyone who booked a Neptune Suite realized that the full difference in cost paid wasn't reflected in what they were getting. Then they reduced the perks. Suddenly, you're seeing Neptune Suite upsells available where you never saw them before. Could it be possible that former Neptune Suite customers didn’t see enough incremental value?

I know several people who think that the Norwegian Haven Suite product is a better value. Let the market forces play out.

I don't understand why people feel there's a "class" thing going on. If you pay less, you can look in your wallet and see the extra money. You can either keep the money, or get the stuff. It's that simple. Take the chip off your shoulder. It's making your shirt fit funny.

Nothing to do with class whatsoever. Anyone can book a suite. The only condition is the willingness to pay the fare.

When I travelled for business I usually stayed on executive floors of hotels. This included a lounge for breakfast, and drinks, etc. in the evening.

Now that I travel on my own dime I take the lower cost rooms. Does this mean that the hotel has a class system?

No, it simply means that I can select either option depending on how much I am willing to pay. Same as before.

People need to lighten up and focus on having a good time on their cruise. If not, stay home and watch television.

Have to agree with other posters. We have looked at Neptune suites...just not enough bang for our buck compared to other cruise line offerings in the same category. We would only consider them on a well priced upsell.

Edited by iancal

We are definitely not stuffed shirt type folks yet we enjoy a suite for its roominess and extra perks.

The ability to move around without stubbing your toes and the quietness of going to sit on a veranda anytime day or night is what enchants me .

My nose is not in the air with "a superior social attitude " when in a suite , on the contrary , I appreciate that all my hard work in the past allows me to indulge myself as I get in-firmed . I know that sometime in the very near future I will not be able to enjoy this moment and place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Willowdog

I would love to sail in a suite. Probably could swing it from time to time. It's just that when looking at "bang for the buck", I'm having a hard time viewing "restaurant only available to suite passengers" as something worth paying for as a perk. Getting a discount off the surcharge or even getting it for free compared to non-suite, now that's a perk. Free laundry, that's a perk. Neptune Lounge concierge...mmm, could be a perk. Basically, you don't have to run all the way to the main desk/wherever for something? Minor perk, I suppose. All of these things are available to non-suite passengers, they just have to pay for them or go farther, or wait in a line. I can easily see where the value is there.

But a restaurant whose "perk" is that it excludes many other passengers even if they want to pay for it? What exactly am I paying for here, that makes the suite worth more than, say, a comparable suite on another cruise line that has an equally good restaurant that isn't exclusive?

I would love to sail in a suite. Probably could swing it from time to time. It's just that when looking at "bang for the buck", I'm having a hard time viewing "restaurant only available to suite passengers" as something worth paying for as a perk. Getting a discount off the surcharge or even getting it for free compared to non-suite, now that's a perk. Free laundry, that's a perk. Neptune Lounge concierge...mmm, could be a perk. Basically, you don't have to run all the way to the main desk/wherever for something? Minor perk, I suppose. All of these things are available to non-suite passengers, they just have to pay for them or go farther, or wait in a line. I can easily see where the value is there.

But a restaurant whose "perk" is that it excludes many other passengers even if they want to pay for it? What exactly am I paying for here, that makes the suite worth more than, say, a comparable suite on another cruise line that has an equally good restaurant that isn't exclusive?

Many of the Suite Restaurants like Specialty Restaurants have totally different menus. Most often the food quality is much higher with better cuts of meat and higher quality ingredients than what is offered in the Main Dining Room and often times more extensive. Because the Chef can make it "made to order" for a smaller group of people. I personally would much rather dine in one of these restaurants over the masses in the Main Dining Room. My last couple of HAL cruises we sadly have found the quality not up to the standards we were accustom to with HAL and found the MD offerings to be a lot more limited. For the first time ever our last cruise several weeks ago several times while eating in the MD we both stated we wished we were on NCL :o 10 years ago I would have never dreamed that would be a statement that would come out of my mouth.

Lisa,

You are making me eager for our cruise on NCL. I NEVER thought I'd ever be sailing a ship splattered with graffiti and no blue hull. :eel: I will be so interested to 'compare'.

Lisa,

You are making me eager for our cruise on NCL. I NEVER thought I'd ever be sailing a ship splattered with graffiti and no blue hull. :eel: I will be so interested to 'compare'.

Sail, just like people you cannot judge a ship by the outside, it is what is on the inside that counts ;)

Now granted NCL is not like HAL on the Inside either and it is good to approach with an open mind but after several NCL cruises we have grown to really love that line. Granted it was good to return to HAL a few weeks ago and see old friends but sadly I think the HAL we become so fond of has changed. We are giving HAL one last chance on the Inaugural Koningsdam and we fully expect things to be crazy, crew to not be for sure of what they are doing and maybe even things not working correctly but if the food quality and menus do not see an improvement for such an occasion our days with HAL will most likely be over. :(

I think the OP's point is that Celebrity is offering a top quality dining experience for their suite guests and HAL should consider doing the same. People on the Celebrity forum are raving about the wonderful food in Luminae. Certainly if someone pays top dollar for a suite I think they deserve the option of a place to have true "fine dining".

We don't sail in suites, but I don't begrudge those who do some extra perks. You SHOULD get what you pay for. I would never pay for a Neptune suite now, but I might consider it if I was getting a better dining experience for that price. HAL should really look at this. I think for what people pay for Neptune suites they deserve a much better dining experience than the MDR chaos.

I always thought that one was paying for a suite in order to have a suite. Not that there had to be an entire raft of associated "perks" that went along with it.

Extra space onboard ships has always come at a premium price. But now somehow we have to provide a better place for suite passengers to dine and additional perks as well....

It is not my idea of cruising, and I definitely won't be one to rave if HAL does it.

I don't think that's such a "sad" thing. One of the things I like best about HAL is that once I leave my steerage cabin, no-one knows or treats me differently. I am not excluded from anywhere except the Neptune Lounge -- and having been in there, I really don't see the appeal of spending time in a windowless room.

I'm glad HAL is not considering this as of yet. Which is not to say they will not, but I really like being able to go (almost) everywhere and experience (almost) everything on the ship, even though I actually PREFER an ocean-view cabin low down and forward. I don't think HAL ships or the HAL experience would be improved by setting aside dining venues for the "haves" and "have-nots." (And yes, I know they already set aside the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast for the suite passengers.)

I agree as well..

I think the OP's point is that Celebrity is offering a top quality dining experience for their suite guests and HAL should consider doing the same. People on the Celebrity forum are raving about the wonderful food in Luminae. Certainly if someone pays top dollar for a suite I think they deserve the option of a place to have true "fine dining".

We don't sail in suites, but I don't begrudge those who do some extra perks. You SHOULD get what you pay for. I would never pay for a Neptune suite now, but I might consider it if I was getting a better dining experience for that price. HAL should really look at this. I think for what people pay for Neptune suites they deserve a much better dining experience than the MDR chaos.

They're probably raving about it because they've never tasted good food on celebrity before. Celebrity is the most overrated cruise line I've ever been on.

I just booked our first cruise on Celebrity in a Sky Suite and am looking forward to enjoying all of the perks, including dining in Luminae. I agree that we should get what we pay for, and we will use the perks we pay for.

We have been unimpressed overall with HAL's suites and the suite perks, so we thought we'd give Celebrity a try. That they offer increased and different perks is what was interesting. That and free beverage packages and generous OBC. :)

Many of the Suite Restaurants like Specialty Restaurants have totally different menus. Most often the food quality is much higher with better cuts of meat and higher quality ingredients than what is offered in the Main Dining Room and often times more extensive. Because the Chef can make it "made to order" for a smaller group of people

I get that. They're like Pinnacle or Le Cirque. But what is the perk in making them suite only? What is my extra dollar buying me by making them suite only, instead of open with a surcharge like Pinnacle or Le Cirque?

I get that. They're like Pinnacle or Le Cirque. But what is the perk in making them suite only? What is my extra dollar buying me by making them suite only, instead of open with a surcharge like Pinnacle or Le Cirque?

:confused: I think you have answered your own question:D You extra money is buying you the Suite experience and all that comes with it including the dining. If you want to try this dining and the perks that come with it you pay the extra cost and book a suite. If the cost is too high for your budget you go economy just like on a plane. Pretty plain and simple. Again you get what you pay for.

I think another poster hit the nail on the head.

Unless it is on HAL, it cannot be a good idea. You will never really know unless you try/experience yourself.

Edited by iancal

Many of the Suite Restaurants like Specialty Restaurants have totally different menus. Most often the food quality is much higher with better cuts of meat and higher quality ingredients than what is offered in the Main Dining Room and often times more extensive. Because the Chef can make it "made to order" for a smaller group of people. I personally would much rather dine in one of these restaurants over the masses in the Main Dining Room. My last couple of HAL cruises we sadly have found the quality not up to the standards we were accustom to with HAL and found the MD offerings to be a lot more limited. For the first time ever our last cruise several weeks ago several times while eating in the MD we both stated we wished we were on NCL :o 10 years ago I would have never dreamed that would be a statement that would come out of my mouth.

Lisa, I so agree with you about the food on HAL in the main dining room. As you know,we were on the Noordam recently and were so dissapointed in the main dining room food. We also are most likely not cruising on HAL again as other than the great service there just isn't enough of anything to continue cruising on HAL.