Difference between stars and medallions

summer slope

If you have 500 "star points/days", you likely could still be aways from getting your 500 day Medallion. Check your account on the HAL's website.

I did that - it is 31 days. We typically take longer cruises and most likely our next HAL cruise will be half of the WC. Actually, our next cruise is 71 days on Princess.

I did that - it is 31 days. We typically take longer cruises and most likely our next HAL cruise will be half of the WC. Actually, our next cruise is 71 days on Princess.

That explains it.

I'm not quite as well-cruised as many here, but I understood the medallion would be awarded on the following cruise. In our case, we board at 99 days for two weeks, and I was told we would not receive our copper medallion until our next cruise. Am I incorrect in my thinking / understanding?

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

We are currently 32 days short of receiving a medallion. We're taking a 50-day cruise this Fall and, upon inquiry, was advised by HAL in writing that we would receive our medallion during the cruise.

In our case, we board at 99 days for two weeks, and I was told we would not receive our copper medallion until our next cruise.
We got our Copper medallions a few days before hitting 100 because that was the day of the Mariner Brunch and awards ceremony.

I can only speak from our recent experience. My DW and I just finished a 22 day Collectors voyage on the Zuiderdam (May 17-June 8). When we boarded the ship we had accrued 86 actual cruise days and had 162 total credits toward 4-Star. During the first leg of the cruise, we were invited to a Mariner's presentation, and given our 100 day medallions. :) We didn't actually reach 100 days until several days later on that cruise.

At the end of the cruise, we are now have 108 cruise days, :) and 197 total credits :(. As previously stated, when you "level up", you don't get the perks until the following cruise. So we are 3 credits shy of 4-Star. for our next trip. Darn that 4-Explorer drink card. We were just $900 short of reaching 4-Star. :( Now I am looking for a 3 day quickie on the west coast! :p

Greg

I know what you mean...we needed 4 days -- so we took a 'short' 10 day cruise to hit 4 star. We were looking at a SouthAmerica Antarctica cruise and didn't want to pay double for a Neptune to get free laundry -- with a 9 hour flight and luggage charges it was cheaper to take a 'short cruise' and then book a veranda suite for 1/2 price of a Neptune -- not that I don't want another Neptune, but on the smaller ships the price is just tooo much more.

On our recent 15 day cruise with about 1200 passengers, there must have been at least 60-70 people getting their copper medallions. I was quite surprised until I realized that this cruise was longer than the normal ones we take, thus more people qualified during the cruise. Plus the demographics of the cruise was alot older than we were used to, likely due to the trip being the first 2 weeks of May.

I am getting starry eyed just thinking about those wonderful medallions.

and I lovingly pet/pat them when I run across the boxes in my drawer. But hey, paid good money for these!

Don't forget, if you reach a new star level while on a grand cruise (world, So. Amer, or Med) you immediately receive the star level. It is the only time you do not have to wait for your star perks.

Edited by take us away

I know what you mean...we needed 4 days -- so we took a 'short' 10 day cruise to hit 4 star. We were looking at a SouthAmerica Antarctica cruise and didn't want to pay double for a Neptune to get free laundry -- with a 9 hour flight and luggage charges it was cheaper to take a 'short cruise' and then book a veranda suite for 1/2 price of a Neptune -- not that I don't want another Neptune, but on the smaller ships the price is just tooo much more.

You know that you can buy laundry packages. You don't have to get a neptune suite to get it;).

Don't forget, if you reach a new star level while on a grand cruise (world, So. Amer, or Med) you immediately receive the star level. It is the only time you do not have to wait for your star perks.

Are you certain the perks are awarded immediately? My understanding is that the bump up to the new level is at the beginning of the next segment of a Grand Cruise.

Are you certain the perks are awarded immediately? My understanding is that the bump up to the new level is at the beginning of the next segment of a Grand Cruise.
Like you, I thought you had to wait until the next segment, but from Mariner FAQs:

16. If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

Edited by catl331

We would have finished our Alaska cruise next spring with exactly 300 actual days. However HAL shortened the Hawaii/ Tahiti cruise just prior to Alaska from 34 to 33 days. Now we will only have 299 days at the end of the Alaska cruise so the next medal will have to wait until the following year's cruise.

We would have finished our Alaska cruise next spring with exactly 300 actual days. However HAL shortened the Hawaii/ Tahiti cruise just prior to Alaska from 34 to 33 days. Now we will only have 299 days at the end of the Alaska cruise so the next medal will have to wait until the following year's cruise.

It varies by ship/Hotel Director/GRM but often they will present the Medallions if people are one or two days short.

I am having trouble with the math. How much did you spend on the ten day cruise to save $9 per day on laundry?

It varies by ship/Hotel Director/GRM but often they will present the Medallions if people are one or two days short.

Thank you for the information. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I am having trouble with the math. How much did you spend on the ten day cruise to save $9 per day on laundry?

sorry, left out the snarky emoticon. We always take at least 10 day cruises, anything shorter isn't worth it for us(travel to/from, etc). We joked about the 'short' cruise, before, during and after. We would have taken the cruise anyway. 4 star perks came along for the ride.

We technically earned our bronze-like medallions on the very last day of our 7 day standalone cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam last November. Since the Mariner ceremony is mid-week, I figured we'd receive them on the 14 day cruise we were taking in December.

Nope. We got our medallions on the first cruise, even though we were 3 days short at the time.

Other than for the photos with the captain and hotel manager during the ceremony, we were not legally allowed to wear our medallions in public until Saturday, when we officially reached 100 sailing days.** Apparently, if we did, there "would be consequences." It sounded ominous.

If HAL had anywhere near the marketing genius of Disney, they'd be selling interchangeable medallion ribbons so people could match their outfits. That would allow people to sport their medallions, color coordinated to their wardrobe, instead of leaving them in a drawer at home - never to see the light of day.

And, Disney wouldn't stop with ribbons. Nosiree. What HAL cruiser wouldn't want to festoon their ribbon with a commemorative pin depicting each ship they've sailed on? How about a waterproof ribbon and water resistant medallion cover set so you could wear your medallion in the pool? Tres 1970s!

I'm just spit balling here, but wouldn't it make people want to cruise more often, so they might be able to wear HAL medallions - like the cool kids?

**Just making that up. No one cared when or where we wore our medallions after they were issued.

The number of Stars is based upon "Mariner points". Basically you earn one point for every day on a HAL cruise, plus you get double points if in a "suite" cabin, plus you earn a point for every $300 you spend on your cruise (limit based on number of days of cruise). You can see the details on the HAL website. You earn "perks" depending on how many stars you have - again see the website.

Medallions are based solely on the number of days you sail with HAL. For 100 days you get a copper medallion, etc. No perks associated with the Medallions, other than getting a nice medallion and recognition onboard at a Mariner ceremony.

They have nothing to do with each other.

If you pass the 100 days mark during a cruise, will you get the Medallion during the cruise? We will be doing that on the next cruise.

We technically earned our bronze-like medallions on the very last day of our 7 day standalone cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam last November. Since the Mariner ceremony is mid-week, I figured we'd receive them on the 14 day cruise we were taking in December.

Nope. We got our medallions on the first cruise, even though we were 3 days short at the time.

Other than for the photos with the captain and hotel manager during the ceremony, we were not legally allowed to wear our medallions in public until Saturday, when we officially reached 100 sailing days.** Apparently, if we did, there "would be consequences." It sounded ominous.

If HAL had anywhere near the marketing genius of Disney, they'd be selling interchangeable medallion ribbons so people could match their outfits. That would allow people to sport their medallions, color coordinated to their wardrobe, instead of leaving them in a drawer at home - never to see the light of day.

And, Disney wouldn't stop with ribbons. Nosiree. What HAL cruiser wouldn't want to festoon their ribbon with a commemorative pin depicting each ship they've sailed on? How about a waterproof ribbon and water resistant medallion cover set so you could wear your medallion in the pool? Tres 1970s!

I'm just spit balling here, but wouldn't it make people want to cruise more often, so they might be able to wear HAL medallions - like the cool kids?

**Just making that up. No one cared when or where we wore our medallions after they were issued.

Two Thumbs Up !! :cool:

Edited by sail7seas

I thought you might have to forfeit the apple pie for dessert.:(

Husband tossed it in trash aboard Prinsendam & mine's in a drawer.

What a waste of resources. Better that you had just asked not to have the medallion presented in the first place than to throw it away.

Why go to the special effort to demean those of us who enjoy this harmless feature of HAL? This is a forum populated by many HAL cruisers and certainly it is evident many of us have received those Medallions. To some of us they represent lots of happy, fun times on the ships. I lost my DH last year and there will be no more happy cruises with him. I put his Platinum Medallion Lapel Pin on his suit when I buried him......

Edited by sail7seas

Why go to the special effort to demean those of us who enjoy this harmless feature of HAL? This is a forum populated by many HAL cruisers and certainly it is evident many of us have received those Medallions. To some of us they represent lots of happy, fun times on the ships. I lost my DH last year and there will be no more happy cruises with him. I put his Platinum Medallion Lapel Pin on his suit when I buried him......

Great post S7S. Some people like them, some could care less. To each his/her own.

We only have Copper ones, but my wife made a nice "shadow box" out of them, a couple of special HAL pins we received, and a photo of us with the Captain and Hotel Director at the ceremony.