Difference between stars and medallions

summer slope

I didn't realize they were still giving out medallions! Can someone tell me how many "sea days" you need for each medallion? I have 151 sea days and have never received a medallion. Thanks!

From the Mariner Society FAQs:

In addition, we will continue to recognize our most loyal Mariners through the awarding of a special medallion; a Bronze Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 100 days, a Silver Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 300 days, a Gold Medallion for guests achieving 500 days, and our highest level Platinum Medallion for those guests who have joined us for 700 or more days. Medallion status is calculated using Cruise Days only; Suite Bonus and Onboard Spending Bonus do not apply toward Medallion status.

One of the things I have been wondering about is what to do with the medallions after we receive them. I’d love some ideas.

My first two suggestions are to

1) Weld them together and make a really nice western belt buckle.

2) Cast them together with some clear resin to make a small clipboard to be used during ship trivia contests.

Anyone have some other ideas?

Scott & Karen

You are truly gifted, POA> :)

Gifted... Twisted. Same number of syllables.

Either way, it's magically delicious.

Edited by POA1

Gifted... Twisted. Same number of syllables.

Either way, it's magically delicious.

Or someone has been spending more time with Windows 8 than is healthy.

(Still not sure what the RDA for windows 8 is....);)

So with that symbol I come up with 805 + a cruise.

Difference? Stars have some worth in that they make one eligible for some perks such as discounts at alternative restaurants, discounts on wine packages, etc. Medallions are near worthless trinkets use to feed some egos and generate goodwill. And we have sure seen our share of fellow HAL cruisers who love to have their egos stroked :).

Hank

Difference? Stars have some worth in that they make one eligible for some perks such as discounts at alternative restaurants, discounts on wine packages, etc. Medallions are near worthless trinkets use to feed some egos and generate goodwill. And we have sure seen our share of fellow HAL cruisers who love to have their egos stroked :).

Hank

Wow. I bet gift wrap and bows really stick in your craw. "Gimme the present and $4 cash! Don't waste time and money with gift wrap. I'm just gonna tear it up, wad it into a ball, and throw it away." :D (Smiley face.)

Some people like their medallions. (I couldn't tell you where mine is, but our friend Poohby Joe likes to wear his bronze.) There's nothing to be gained by dissing people who like their traditions.

Speaking of points and medallions. I just got off a two week Celebrity cruise

to the Baltic. On board they were talking about interchanging points for

travel on Caribbean or Celebrity. I have felt for some time, that as Carnival

is the ultimate pocket for monies from all their lines, that they should give

days and star points for cruising on all their ships. I am a five star on Hal

and Elite on Princess. We have traveled on most of their lines, but still we

are limited to five star on Holland etc. I can see loyalty to one line, but I can

also see loyalty to one company. With Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and other

lines doing or considering this step would it not seem logical for Carnival Corp.

stars and or medallions. It seems that with Cuba and China, great changes

are going to take place in a very competitive market. To get the edge, I

think Carnival Corp. could offer a good base from which their changes will

increase sailings, instead of looking at other companies that offer this perk.

Just curious. Besides the day you receive it, when do folks actually wear their medallions? Maybe formal night?

Greg

Nope. I didn't go to the ceremony for either of mine so they've never been worn. They are sitting in my drawer.

Wanted to chime in on the medallion issue. My dh and I received ours for 100 days. Do we wear them? No. But I still enjoyed getting them because they represent the fun we've had cruising together. I even go to the ceremonies to see others getting medallions. I know we probably won't make the 300 level but I like to applaud and congratulate those who love to cruise as much as I do. And a free drink is always nice.

St. Louis Sal

Just curious. Besides the day you receive it, when do folks actually wear their medallions? Maybe formal night?

Greg

Last cruise I saw a woman wearing her copper medallion all around the ship - well before the Mariner reception day. Oh well, to each their own I guess.

DW has never worn hers after leaving the ceremony where we got them, and I only wore mine for about the next hour at the Brunch. BUT - I do like to wear the lapel pin on my formal night jacket.

Thanks for all the info on the medallions. Now I know to expect our first one on our next cruise. I remember when we started attending Mariner's brunches and a medallion seemed a million miles away. I can't wait to have one around my neck. To my thinking, that medallion represents lots of great times and a life well-lived!

:)

Thanks for all the info on the medallions. Now I know to expect our first one on our next cruise. I remember when we started attending Mariner's brunches and a medallion seemed a million miles away. I can't wait to have one around my neck. To my thinking, that medallion represents lots of great times and a life well-lived!

:)

Congratulations, Ancient Wanderer. :)

You get it. For many of us the Medallion is not the point but for all the happy memories they represent.

For those who are lucky enough to work your way to Platinum, you may experience that happy, warm feeling, in time. :)

We tried to sell ours at the onboard auction (held near the end of many cruises) but HAL does not permit the sale of Medallions. We were curious as to how much anyone would pay for the things. We have all of ours plus many pins (from various cruise lines) in a drawer somewhere and now wonder if we could get a few dollars on E-bay :). Maybe enough to pay for a drink at Happy Hour.

Hank

Why go to the special effort to demean those of us who enjoy this harmless feature of HAL? This is a forum populated by many HAL cruisers and certainly it is evident many of us have received those Medallions. To some of us they represent lots of happy, fun times on the ships. I lost my DH last year and there will be no more happy cruises with him. I put his Platinum Medallion Lapel Pin on his suit when I buried him......

We tried to sell ours at the onboard auction (held near the end of many cruises) but HAL does not permit the sale of Medallions. We were curious as to how much anyone would pay for the things. We have all of ours plus many pins (from various cruise lines) in a drawer somewhere and now wonder if we could get a few dollars on E-bay :). Maybe enough to pay for a drink at Happy Hour.

Hank

Sell them on e-bay. You may be able to stop hating them so much if you rid yourself of them.

However, I have the Girl Scout badge sash to put us against a free drink coupon any day. Scouts Rule -- Boy and Girl alike.

I'll jump in here and bid using my son's Scout blanket with numerous badges . . . any idea how many free drink coupons I might score with it? Possible Pinnacle suite upgrade? Free day use of Oasis on HMC?

POA1 - you're very "charming" in a lucky kind of way.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

Edited by ger_77

Wore it last week on Oosterdam and Captain Bos made a comment about how nice to see the old blue and orange ribbon.

How I loved those ribbons! I always wondered why those ribbons couldn't have been kept when HAL went to the new medallion system. I spent a goodly amount of time trying to figure out how to move it to my new medallions without ruining the hardware.