Difference between stars and medallions

summer slope

I have to agree with this 2 weeks ago on our cruise my parents got an invitation to an event to get their bronze medallions. They had NO idea what they were getting so I explained the 2 programs to them as you fellow CC'ers have explained it to me. Makes sense. All they were aware of was the mariner program. So I give them the low down and say go meet the Captain, get your medal, get your picture taken and I'll see you after at lunch.

Fast forward to lunch....the Captain and the Cruise Director make a lovely speech. They keep all the medallion cruisers together in the lower level of the MDR and group by group they ask them to stand up and we salute them. Bronze, silver,gold and platinum one group at a time and a very special lady who had 1500 days I forget her name. It was lovely. They talked about how much they appreciated their loyalty and how valued they were. I was really impressed-top shelf stuff. I'm also going to say that the salutes weren't just for new medallion earners -they clearly asked all medallion achievers who were invited to stand up. They all seemed to be grouped down in the lower level.

What was weird was after the ceremony when I spoke to my parents they told me the days they were credited with earning their medallions was 136 days- mariner days- not days at sea which I clearly knew was wrong. you don't give a bronze medallion to a person with 136 days at sea...those were their mariner days.

Anyways they looked at me like I had 2 heads but were very happy to be acknowledged in such a classy way so many kudos to the team on the Rotterdam so many things on that ship were throwback classy.

I gave up trying to explain the difference and just enjoyed the moment.

BTW- the picture of them with the Captain as delivered to their stateroom was free.

This is VERY good to hear. Thanks for posting this experience.

Some ships do a commendable job of Mariner Reception.Brunch and some.......don't.

We've seen it all and find it might have to do with the Captain and how much he is willing to participate.

Captain Bos is a standout: long, sincere talks about HAL, the Mariner program and interesting news. Not a 10 second "thanks for coming, now enjoy brunch".

Edited by SilvertoGold

eI prefer when the CD remains quiet and lets the Captain speak somw of the CD's like the sound of their own voice, a little too much. I always wear my medallion to mARINER'S B RUNCH AND THE PRE-PARTY WHERE PRESENTATIONS AND PHOTOS ARE DONE. my favorite souvernir from almost all cruises is the photo with the Captain and often the Hotel Diector.

Edited by sail7seas

Some ships do a commendable job of Mariner Reception.Brunch and some.......don't.

We've seen it all and find it might have to do with the Captain and how much he is willing to participate.

Captain Bos is a standout: long, sincere talks about HAL, the Mariner program and interesting news. Not a 10 second "thanks for coming, now enjoy brunch".

I reaappreciate the Captains and Hotel Directors, who are willing to host table sfor Maariners brunch..ad some lovely runches atCsaptain's table qand know he made a special madse a special effor to take more time out of his day.

Edited by sail7seas

I reaappreciate the Captains and Hotel Directors, who are willing to host table sfor Maariners brunch..ad some lovely runches atCsaptain's table qand know he made a special madse a special effor to take more time out of his day.

I appreciate those Captains and HDs, too, Sail. It is a nice gesture for them to make the special effort, as you note. Have enjoyed those tables a lot!

We got our "2 star Mariner" lapel pins last cruise ( yeah, I know we are still babies, but still, 4 HAL cruises within 1 year :) ) does anyone actually wear these?! And when?!

Congrats on all those cruises within a year. That is the way to do it!!

The pins look good on the lapel of a suit. Same as how presidents and prime ministers often wear the flag of their country as a lapel pin.

Do or don't, as you wish. People's attitudes vary towards the pins (not to mention the medallions!).

Side note: I've been enjoying your learned posts on tech matters. Much appreciated!

Just stumbled on this thread and read most of the posts.

I was interested in the point someone made about printing out your cruise history before boarding if you think you are reaching the next level (whether star or medallion) on that cruise and ask about it early in the cruise. I realized that one does not get the perks associated with a new level until the next cruise, but I did not know one was recognized for that level even though one reached that level later in the cruise.

Thank you for the info.

I was interested in the point someone made about printing out your cruise history before boarding if you think you are reaching the next level (whether star or medallion) on that cruise and ask about it early in the cruise. I realized that one does not get the perks associated with a new level until the next cruise, but I did not know one was recognized for that level even though one reached that level later in the cruise.

Thank you for the info.

For medallions you are recognized on the cruise you reach the right number of days.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Thank you for the info.

For medallions you are recognized on the cruise you reach the right number of days.

As Silver says,medallions are given on the cruise where you reach the # of days traditionally.

I was surprised to see DH get his 5* pin on our cruise as opposed to after (he was 3 days short - I started cruising before him ;) )

We got our "2 star Mariner" lapel pins last cruise ( yeah, I know we are still babies, but still, 4 HAL cruises within 1 year :) ) does anyone actually wear these?! And when?!

There was a time when DH wore his Medallion Pin in his tuxedo jacket or suit jacket. He doesn't do any more as most people don't get the pins anymore when they get their medallions.

As for the star mariner pins -- when HAL started this program, we were already 4 star mariners. So we only have the 4 and 5 star pins. DH never liked the looks of them so never wore them.

In the last 5 or 6 years we have attended only 1 Mariner brunch -- only because the captain invited us to sit at his table.

All the other times the captains and hotel directors did not host tables for the Mariner brunches on any of the many different ships we have been on.

The main reasons we stopped going to the brunches was because of the no-so-good menu (JOO) and the free-for-all as people rushed and pushed to get tables.

As Silver says,medallions are given on the cruise where you reach the # of days traditionally.

I was surprised to see DH get his 5* pin on our cruise as opposed to after (he was 3 days short - I started cruising before him ;) )

Is the same thing true about the President's Club? If we were to hit 1400 actual sail days toward the end of a cruise such as the voyage of the Vikings, might we be eligible for the president' club at the mariner reception.

D

Is the same thing true about the President's Club? If we were to hit 1400 actual sail days toward the end of a cruise such as the voyage of the Vikings,

This needs to be answered by someone c mpetent to know in the Serattle office. ASall Mariner's office to get the bvest chance of valildf responsed.

Edited by sail7seas

Is the same thing true about the President's Club? If we were to hit 1400 actual sail days toward the end of a cruise such as the voyage of the Vikings, might we be eligible for the president' club at the mariner reception.

D

President's club is by invitation - unsure if such would be done on your cruise or not. I would guess not, but I am not of the elite;)

President's club is by invitation -

Now I'm curious (which is all it is, as I will never get to the 1400-day requirement), but I wonder if anyone in a position to know will post what the criteria are to be issued an invitation?

Does one need to have more than just the 1400 days? Such as??? Is this something like the Club members hold a meeting, and vote? Would one "no" blackball the potential inductee? Or is a majority all that's necessary?

Could be fun speculating what it takes to be offered the invitation, but it would be even better to be told for sure.

Anyone willing to tell?

WCB reached the required number of days for President's Club on a World Cruise and were inducted into the Club on that cruise.

I think the "invitation" is for pax who have gained the required number of days paying the regular/promo fares, but not interline or whatever discounted fares there TAs, travel professionals, family of crew and the like are able to book.

I reached four star with a segment on a Grand Voyage, the Grand South America on the Prinsendam (FLL-Buenos Aires) room plus bonus for Vista Suite plus spending got me to 200 right on the number. I was leaving on another cruise before the Grand Voyage finished, and my cruise history would not update, and of course I wanted to ensure I got the benefits. I emailed the Mariner Society, and got a reply that segments of Grand Voyages did not update in the system until the Grand Voyage was over, and made me four star even though my cruise history still said only 123 days. I had my final statement from the cruise in case they wanted it faxed but I guess they took my word for it.

I asked about the pin before I got off the Prinsendam but they said Seattle would say when to give one. I haven't gotten one, but I don't care greatly.

Edited by Wehwalt

Now I'm curious (which is all it is, as I will never get to the 1400-day requirement), but I wonder if anyone in a position to know will post what the criteria are to be issued an invitation?

Does one need to have more than just the 1400 days? Such as??? Is this something like the Club members hold a meeting, and vote? Would one "no" blackball the potential inductee? Or is a majority all that's necessary?

Could be fun speculating what it takes to be offered the invitation, but it would be even better to be told for sure.

Anyone willing to tell?

The current members do not vote. Kind of hard to vote when most would at,ytbest onlcsasually know those on whome they are voting. We know two couples but that's ab out all of thosrewho are President's Club .

Edited by sail7seas

I think the "invitation" is for pax who have gained the required number of days paying the regular/promo fares, but not interline or whatever discounted fares there TAs, travel professionals, family of crew and the like are able to book.

So, pretty much anyone and everyone who reaches the required number of days, so long as they paid a published fare.

So, pretty much anyone and everyone who reaches the required number of days, so long as they paid a published fare.

Yes, and that seems fair. President's Club appears to be about days sailed with HAL. I can't imagine what other criteria HAL could use.

Edited by SilvertoGold

SilvertoGold - it was a very nice affair on a sea day. No one rushed tables, food was great and the pace was pleasant and relaxed. It really was a tribute to Mariners and the staff seemed to truly honour it. I was glad my parents got their medals on the Rotterdam- they made it special and you could feel it in the air with all the passengers clapping and taking the time to salute all the new medallion earners and all in general.

Here's some pics I took for anyone interested:

Rotterdam%20Cannon%20544_zps4sazgbpo.jpg

Rotterdam%20Cannon%20549_zpswtmeyaqq.jpg

Rotterdam%20Cannon%20542_zps6ntskixx.jpg

Rotterdam%20Cannon%20147_zpselnvpbej.jpg

In the last 5 or 6 years we have attended only 1 Mariner brunch -- only because the captain invited us to sit at his table.

All the other times the captains and hotel directors did not host tables for the Mariner brunches on any of the many different ships we have been on.

The main reasons we stopped going to the brunches was because of the no-so-good menu (JOO) and the free-for-all as people rushed and pushed to get tables.

With all due respect KK, if you don't go then how do you know it isn't any good now?

The Medallion ceremonies that we have been to for the past several years have been wonderful. Westerdam and Prinsendam do the well (or did when we were on) and it was a pleasure to be there.

The luncheon was quite edible as were the talks by the captain,etc.

Well, we have been hosted,it's not a must by any means for us ;)

Sammygoose

Thanks for the further info and the great photos. What a nice menu!

The Rotterdam has always been a class act and I'm glad you and your parents were treated so well! Sometimes you get all the good on HAL coming together at once on a ship and it is a very memorable time.

I am not clear as to whether one is awarded the star pin on the cruise where you reach the required number of days. I know you cannot use the benefits until the next cruise, but are you actually given the pin at the awards ceremony?

I think only medallions are given at the ceremony, and pins (if you qualify based on days and any suite bonus) are delivered to your stateroom the last night.

On my voyage on the Prinsendam, the medallions were sent to staterooms as there were so many because of the long voyage (Grand South America), with a letter saying they could be worn to the ceremony. Medallions and pins are two related, but different things. The medallion is simply a recognition of how many nights you have spent aboard, and all you get is the medallion. The pin, based in part on how long you have spent aboard (and how much you care to spend), symbolizes your entry into a new tier of their marketing program, with certain defined benefits.

Edited by Wehwalt