Difference between stars and medallions

summer slope

I wish they still gave the label pins that go with the medallions. We have the copper but when we get the silver pretty soon, no pin. I know e-bay but it isn't the same IMO.

I agree.

I was presented the copper and silver along with the medallion. I contacted the Mariner Society when I got the gold medallion, and they had a pin to send me.

Now I'm approaching the platinum medallion, and will be missing that one pin from the full set. :( I'll try the Mariner Society again, and may get lucky. If not, then it's off to E-Bay.

What a shame to be missing that one small piece of the full collection. Those pins are so much more attractive, and much better quality, than the Star pins.

I agree.

I was presented the copper and silver along with the medallion. I contacted the Mariner Society when I got the gold medallion, and they had a pin to send me.

Now I'm approaching the platinum medallion, and will be missing that one pin from the full set. :( I'll try the Mariner Society again, and may get lucky. If not, then it's off to E-Bay.

What a shame to be missing that one small piece of the full collection. Those pins are so much more attractive, and much better quality, than the Star pins.

I agree. We were happy we were given Platinum lapel pins. DH enjoyed wearing it on his suit lapel on formal nights. The Medallion pins are very much more attractive and meaningful, to me that the Star pins. I still have the pins that accompanied the Mariners Program in place prior to the existing Medallion Program.

For anyone who might be interested:

40,000 miles (115 days) was Silver Medallion

100,000 miles (285 days) was Gold Medallion.

250,000 miles (713 days was Platinum Medallion.

• 11 months later...
Just curious. Besides the day you receive it, when do folks actually wear their medallions? Maybe formal night?

Greg

I'd love to see a contest as to what to do with the medallions after someone has received several. The suggestion I'd offer, coming from rural Arazona, is to solder them together and make a really great western belt buckle.

Scott & Karen

I'd love to see a contest as to what to do with the medallions after someone has received several. The suggestion I'd offer, coming from rural Arazona, is to solder them together and make a really great western belt buckle.

Scott & Karen

We have tried to sell ours, through the onboard flea market held on many longer HAL cruises, but HAL imposes a rule that one cannot sell HAL Medallons. Just noticed that someone is selling a Silver Medalion on ebay for $19.97 (with free shipping). We would sell ours for $18.99 :). Also noticed a 1998 Rotterdam World Cruise Plate for sale with a value of $4.60....but no bidders.

Hank

We have tried to sell ours, through the onboard flea market held on many longer HAL cruises, but HAL imposes a rule that one cannot sell HAL Medallons. Just noticed that someone is selling a Silver Medalion on ebay for $19.97 (with free shipping). We would sell ours for $18.99 :). Also noticed a 1998 Rotterdam World Cruise Plate for sale with a value of $4.60....but no bidders.

Hank

We will be receiving our 300 day medallions during our cruise next April as we currently stand at 299 actual days. Considering that it will be the most expensive piece of jewellery I will ever have, I think I may just hang onto it. ;):D:D

we will be receiving our 300 day medallions during our cruise next april as we currently stand at 299 actual days. Considering that it will be the most expensive piece of jewellery i will ever have, i think i may just hang onto it. ;):d:d

rofl

sa

I'm a bling kind of girl and hope to earn my silver some day. I hope they don't stop doing it.

Why settle for silver? I rather like my platinumMedalion (700 real days))on the white ribbon.

Edited by sail7seas

We will be receiving our 300 day medallions during our cruise next April as we currently stand at 299 actual days. Considering that it will be the most expensive piece of jewellery I will ever have, I think I may just hang onto it. ;):D:D

And the picture with the Captain :)

congrats on the milestone sapper1 :)

I agree it is a very expensive piece of bling :)

Hank

Thanks for the tip on the Rotterdam plate - I might just take a look at it ;)

Seriously, as far as the medallions go, they are simply a symbol - a small recognition.

Rotary clubs recognize leaders in the community and Rotarians with their highest award which is the Paul Harris Fellow. A donation is made of $1,000 U.S. By the club that wishes to award it. The recipient gets the medal. It's symbolic, a huge award, but just a medal. Mine sits in my box along with my HAL medal. Probably will never be worn again, but nice to keep and look back on :)

I am familiar with the Paul Harris medal.

To me, there is an absolute world of difference between a Paul Harris medal for outstanding community involvement/commitment/work and a commercial medal/trinket given (hardly awarded) to someone for their amount of business and their loyalty to/with the particular vendor.

Anyone can get a HAL medallion. You just need to send in the requisite number of box tops so to speak.

Not anyone can get a Paul Harris medal.

Seems to me it would be like GM giving out a medal to someone who purchased many GM cars over the years. Or to someone like me who has been a loyal customer of the Bay (and Morgan's) for as long as I can remember.

Edited by iancal

Absolutely right. When you get home, you can point to that medallion and say "It only cost me $$$$ or $$$ or $$." Do you wear it? Even when on a ship? Why?

To the Mariner Reception and then the Mariner Brunch.

Why? Why ever not? That is what it is about.

It does drive me crazy, though, that often at the medallion ceremony people are sometimes mentioned/recognized (those with a high number but not receiving a medallion) and their Mariner points are told. To me, HAL is guilty of contributing to the confusion between the programs. It has happened to me and when I've asked about it after the ceremony I was told it was because if they mentioned the lower number (medallion days) that people would complain. I also don't like that when you look at your cruise history on the Mariner status page they do not total all columns, just the points column so you don't know how close you are to a medallion without doing the math yourself.

I have to agree with this 2 weeks ago on our cruise my parents got an invitation to an event to get their bronze medallions. They had NO idea what they were getting so I explained the 2 programs to them as you fellow CC'ers have explained it to me. Makes sense. All they were aware of was the mariner program. So I give them the low down and say go meet the Captain, get your medal, get your picture taken and I'll see you after at lunch.

Fast forward to lunch....the Captain and the Cruise Director make a lovely speech. They keep all the medallion cruisers together in the lower level of the MDR and group by group they ask them to stand up and we salute them. Bronze, silver,gold and platinum one group at a time and a very special lady who had 1500 days I forget her name. It was lovely. They talked about how much they appreciated their loyalty and how valued they were. I was really impressed-top shelf stuff. I'm also going to say that the salutes weren't just for new medallion earners -they clearly asked all medallion achievers who were invited to stand up. They all seemed to be grouped down in the lower level.

What was weird was after the ceremony when I spoke to my parents they told me the days they were credited with earning their medallions was 136 days- mariner days- not days at sea which I clearly knew was wrong. you don't give a bronze medallion to a person with 136 days at sea...those were their mariner days.

Anyways they looked at me like I had 2 heads but were very happy to be acknowledged in such a classy way so many kudos to the team on the Rotterdam so many things on that ship were throwback classy.

I gave up trying to explain the difference and just enjoyed the moment.

BTW- the picture of them with the Captain as delivered to their stateroom was free.

Edited by sammygoose
clarity

Do you wear it? Even when on a ship? Why?

It's traditional to wear the medallion to the reception and the luncheon. I do remove it shortly after sitting down at the table. Don't want it dropping in the food. ;)

I am familiar with the Paul Harris medal.

To me, there is an absolute world of difference between a Paul Harris medal for outstanding community involvement/commitment/work and a commercial medal/trinket given (hardly awarded) to someone for their amount of business and their loyalty to/with the particular vendor.

Anyone can get a HAL medallion. You just need to send in the requisite number of box tops so to speak.

Not anyone can get a Paul Harris medal.

Seems to me it would be like GM giving out a medal to someone who purchased many GM cars over the years. Or to someone like me who has been a loyal customer of the Bay (and Morgan's) for as long as I can remember.

Actually, anyone can now get a Paul Harris Fellow.

Make a donation of $1,000 to the Foundtion and you can "buy" it.

It has been done by some.

Absolutely right. When you get home, you can point to that medallion and say "It only cost me $$$$ or $$$ or $$." Do you wear it? Even when on a ship? Why?

We have always worn our medals to the awards ceremony.

On our last cruise -- 21 days -- we were the only ones who wore them. On the cruise before that one, only a handful of people wore them. Very disappointed that more people didn't wear theirs.

Won't be taking them anymore.

Hank

Someday I'm going to write a novel about a person who creates assorted fake identities by accumulating such items on eBay to wear or decorate the house with, as reinforcements for sham life experiences.

The Maiden Voyage plates, World Cruise plate etc are all very collectable. Even the voyage mariner tiles are collectable. Look out for next year, a new book is in the works... 'HAL Delft'

Here is my prize.... s.s. ROTTERDAM Maiden Trip 1959. Just a 6" Dia. Worthless 'junk'? Well, this one set me back $500 and I almost lost it on Ebay. I couldn't pass up a chance to get this one.

221913153_ROTTERDAMVMAIDENTRIPPLATE1959.jpg.d0bdaaee672d9eef2b8741de49c9e51c.jpg

I have some great HALDeplates, flower vase, serving tray with de3lft and pewter hardware. Stunning About 17 iNAUGURUAL plates. I've enjoyed them but have no clue what happens to them when I am gone. :D I must have at least 200 Mariner tiles in addition to those I used when my contractor put some into theesfdeisgn when we redid the til; shower, bathroom. a few years ago. Stunning.

Edited by sail7seas

It is too bad that Costco does not give out medallions. We would be diamond/platinum..whatever would be the highest. More visits, more money spent.

At least with Fairmont we would get an automatic upgrade where possible because of our frequent business travel. Same with Marriott.